Best Chocolate Cupcakes?

SweetErika

Fingers Crossed
I'm looking for an awesome scratch chocolate cupcake recipe. I've had really good luck with Hershey's Cocoa Powder for cakes recipe in the past, but I can't recall if the texture is right for cupcakes. These are for an evening baby shower, and they'll be topped with a fluffy vanilla buttercream.

I know everyone's gaga over red velvet, and I did try the NYTimes natural/beet recipe for those today. However, I found them unsatisfying in the chocolate arena (and too beet-y for a non-natural-foods audience, but maybe it was my beets or something), and that won't do when my pregnant friend is craving chocolate! So, I've landed back on looking for a recipe that's super chocolaty without being too rich and heavy once frosting is added.

What say you, fellow bakers?

I assume you were trying the beet recipe for your own family.. I might have too, especially when you consider how high they are in sugar.
You can use fig paste to replace the fat and sugar in whatever recipe with pretty good results. :)

WHISKEY CARAMEL????
my tongue just screamed with delight.
looking into that...
thank you!

If it doesn't have to be plain chocolate I like making this one.

attachment.php

I think this is the recipe I used.

cupcake

I ended up trying a recipe with a thicker batter, then going back to the one bowl/Hershey's Cocoa Powder recipe. It's a liquidy mess for cupcakes, but it works every time. I topped them with a vanilla meringue buttercream, and they were a hit at the shower tonight. :)

Oooh, both the Whiskey and PB Cup recipes look amazing, even though I don't go for sugar like that anymore. I was telling a friend tonight that I find baking to be a challenging and somewhat therapeutic hobby, but I'm eager to give all the sugary stuff I make to others.

I've been making a lot of high protein/fiber, naturally sweetened muffins for the kiddo's meals recently. Banana-carrot-walnut are his favorite, and I have to admit that even though I've hated bananas for many years, I'm a fan of them in this particular form. :cool:

I'll get back to you when I dig up that recipe. I'm making it for tomorrow's Paddy's Day feast.

very looking forward to this...i am thinking if i throw a nice pinch of sea salt in and fold it into a butter cream icing, i will no longer be interested in any other food group for a loooooong time. lol.

yes, icing is a food group. it belongs to the beige and brown food group. yes, i made that up. deep and abiding chocolate needs led me to create the beige and brown food group. still waiting for the food guides to catch up rofl.

Last edited:
very looking forward to this...i am thinking if i throw a nice pinch of sea salt in and fold it into a butter cream icing, i will no longer be interested in any other food group for a loooooong time. lol.

yes, icing is a food group. it belongs to the beige and brown food group. yes, i made that up. deep and abiding chocolate needs led me to create the beige and brown food group. still waiting for the food guides to catch up rofl.

Ok, here's the recipe for whiskey butterscotch sauce, though I usually use Irish instead of bourbon, since that's what I always have on hand: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butterscotch-bourbon-sauce

And, I add a pinch of coarse sea salt at the very end, after it's cooled just a tad.

The secret with the cupcakes is to let the cake cool completely, then let the sauce cool enough so that it's still easy to pour but only sort of warm--otherwise, it all soaks into the cake. Which is still tasty, but you lose the effect of the whiskey butterscotch center.

I made the chocolate stout cupcakes on Paddy's Day, some with the butterscotch center and some with the chocolate whiskey center, and then topped some with whiskey buttercream icing, then added stout and a little bit of cocoa powder to the remaining icing for the other cupcakes. Those cupcakes are still the talk of the town 4 days later! ;-)

Ok, here's the recipe for whiskey butterscotch sauce, though I usually use Irish instead of bourbon, since that's what I always have on hand: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butterscotch-bourbon-sauce

And, I add a pinch of coarse sea salt at the very end, after it's cooled just a tad.

The secret with the cupcakes is to let the cake cool completely, then let the sauce cool enough so that it's still easy to pour but only sort of warm--otherwise, it all soaks into the cake. Which is still tasty, but you lose the effect of the whiskey butterscotch center.

I made the chocolate stout cupcakes on Paddy's Day, some with the butterscotch center and some with the chocolate whiskey center, and then topped some with whiskey buttercream icing, then added stout and a little bit of cocoa powder to the remaining icing for the other cupcakes. Those cupcakes are still the talk of the town 4 days later! ;-)

my taste buds have declared that you are the human of the year. :)
thanks so much for coming back and posting this.
cannot wait to make, then hoard, these.

Sorry, I have no recipe

But I like the "green" ones. ;)

I volunteer to help you taste test them when you get some good ones made though. Good to see you still here!:)

Back