Dark Receiver

"Heck no, I'm a reader, a critic, a narrator, never expect me to write, you will be ashamed for my part

Another difference between the two, she noted.

"Usually the best idea is to run whatever I write past Elron, he is always brutally honest with his criticism and that helps a lot"

Again another illustration of how the two complemented each other.

"I think I have a transcript around here somewhere, I usually file them away, but that one seemed to have slipped out of the pile I filed away today"

Claire's eyes lit up expectantly.

"Is this something recent ... or something that's already been ... produced..?"

She hoped she had the terminology right.

"I assume this has met with Elron's approval ...?"

She queried ..
 
Last edited:
Glen Kane

"Well he wasn't complaining while he read it, so I'm sure he enjoyed it. It is fairly recent, I haven't had time to do anything with it yet, that is why I have filed them away to get back to at another time"

He drank of his water

"And yes Kane Jackson is my pseudonym, just in case our loud mouth here got you wondering. I have focused on the main stream, but like the dream of "modernizing" Romeo and Juliet, I have written a few plays that focus on the current era"
 
"Well he wasn't complaining while he read it, so I'm sure he enjoyed it. It is fairly recent, I haven't had time to do anything with it yet, that is why I have filed them away to get back to at another time"

Claire wondered how Glen had the time to write, produce ... and save and feed Elron.

"And yes Kane Jackson is my pseudonym, just in case our loud mouth here got you wondering. I have focused on the main stream, but like the dream of "modernizing" Romeo and Juliet, I have written a few plays that focus on the current era"

She nodded.

"Modern day is good ... so ... you write drama? ... thriller? There seems to be a thirst for blood and guts out there if current movie hits are anything to go by ... "

True there were light comedies, but they were usually chick-flick type stories and she couldn't see Glen creating that sort of play ...
 
Glen Kane

"Oh I write Drama, Comedy and Romance, ok not that much Romance, more Comedy and Drama, but then again Elron have been nagging on me to write an Action-adventure"

He motioned at a laptop that stood on a table

"I work on it when I get the time"

He glanced at his watch

"Well then, think it's time that we get you home Claire, you are going to have a long day tomorrow"
 
"Oh I write Drama, Comedy and Romance, ok not that much Romance, more Comedy and Drama, but then again Elron have been nagging on me to write an Action-adventure. I work on it when I get the time"

She looked across at the lap top, curiously, but it seemed that she was not to have the time to read through his work that evening as Glen observed how late it had gotten.

"Look at the time""

She exclaimed.

"Yes ... I'd best head home ... did you say an 8 am start? At the theatre?"

She checked as she stood up and picked up her bag.

"It's been ... great ... "

It was the understatement of the century!
She had met up with Elron again, got her role as Juliet and spent a wonderful evening with and met Glen!

"Great meal ... thank you ... "

She stepped towards him and kissed him on the cheek.

"Thanks ... for everything, Glen ... "

She'd never had a better day!
 
Glen Kane

The kiss on his cheek surprised him, but he hid it with a friendly smile

"It was great meeting you Claire and I am really looking forward to working with you. If you need a lift just organize it with Elron, don't want my star to be late now do we?"

He looked over at Elron

"I'll clean up, make sure she's safe before you leave"

Elron nodded and they left, he watched her and smiled to himself

"What an exceptional woman"

He turned and started to clean up the table
 
"It was great meeting you Claire and I am really looking forward to working with you. If you need a lift just organize it with Elron, don't want my star to be late now do we?"

She smiled at the kind-hearted offer, but thought that she could take the bus just as easily. She could hardly use Elron as a taxi service.

"I won't be late ... "

She assured him as Glen issued instructions to make sure she was safe ...

They went outside and walked towards the car.

"No wonder you and Glen get on so well ... "

She commented as she slid into the passenger seat once more.

"Does he watch out for all his "leading ladies" like that?"

She asked as they drove off.

"Oh and ... just drop me at the end of the road. Might be safest for you if dad's on lookout ... I've lost count of the amount of times I've travelled between home and the theatre, so no need to worry about me ... "

She assured him.
 
Elron Kramer

"He usually looks out for everybody, but this really was the first time he actually invited somebody over for dinner. He must like you"

Elron chuckled

"Well I am not going to let you walk, I don't care how safe you feel your neighborhood is, with all the freak accidents happening, I'll feel better knowing that you are safe. What I can do is drop you off two houses from yours and then just keep watch until you are inside?"
 
"He usually looks out for everybody, but this really was the first time he actually invited somebody over for dinner. He must like you"

Claire glanced across as Elron chuckled. She was pleased that Glen seemed to like her and it would make things easier for her, she thought if she felt at ease with the producer.

"Well I am not going to let you walk, I don't care how safe you feel your neighborhood is, with all the freak accidents happening, I'll feel better knowing that you are safe. What I can do is drop you off two houses from yours and then just keep watch until you are inside?"

She shrugged.

" ... accidents happen ... you're more at risk driving home from here though than me being mugged or something heading home."

Still, Claire knew better than to argue and thought that she had won to a small extent as he agreed to drop her off tow houses down.

"Don't tell me Romeo is going to get all clingy on me ...?"

She quipped.

"Honestly, I must be the most protected girl in Verona..."

She laughed, liking that he cared, liking that Glen cared, but determined that she was going to enjoy the freedom to be herself now she had landed the part of her dreams..
 
Elron Kramer

He chuckled

"Mayhap thou art fair Juliet, for thee we we shall cross the divide as the stars are above, such is our care for thee"

He grinned and then stopped the car

"Come to think of it...we actually live in the same neighborhood. Strange that"

He smiled

"Well Claire thank you for visiting, I'm sure that tomorrow will be great, don't forget to call me if you need a lift"

He handed her a card and pointed

"The third number is mine"
 
"Mayhap thou art fair Juliet, for thee we we shall cross the divide as the stars are above, such is our care for thee"

She laughed.
She really was lucky to have found two great guys like Elron and Glen!

"Come to think of it...we actually live in the same neighborhood. Strange that"

She murmured.

" ... fate ...

Definitely something written in the stars ... she had definitely had more than her share of good luck.

"Well Claire thank you for visiting, I'm sure that tomorrow will be great, don't forget to call me if you need a lift.
The third number is mine"


She took the card and raised an eyebrow.

"The third? Hmmm ... a choice ... "

She teased, then turned to him seriously.

"But ... thank you Elron ... for ... everything .... from the park ... today ... "

She found it difficult to put her gratitude into words.

"Without you, I just wouldn't have gotten the part. I'd still have been reading Phebe on the sidelines ... "

With a smile, she opened the car door and with a wave made her way quickly to her house and let herself in quietly.
 
Glen Kane

He almost missed the news, he was standing, watching the television when the breaking news report came in. A young woman was electrocuted when an overhead cable unexplainably broke and landed right on her. Glen frowned, he can swear that he had seen the girl in the photo before, but he wasn't sure where. He listened to the rest of the report and found that she worked two blocks away and took the bus to work, but eye witnesses reported that she got off at the bus stop close to the theater and spoke to a young lady, before walking to work. On her way to work, the freak accident happened, Glen tapped his fore finger against his lips. So many freak accidents happening as of late and he started to wonder why, because one such accident almost killed Elron.
 
Claire Westall

Her parents were still up when Claire entered the house. Her heart sank as she heard the usual.

"That you Claire...?"

She knew she had to go in and speak to them and hoped that it wouldn't take the gloss off the evening.

"Had a nice time...?"

Her mother questionned.

"Great ... nice people ... I'll meet the rest of the cast tomorrow ... "

She told her carefully, not exactly lying.

"Did you get the bus home?"

Her father demanded. Claire hesitated not knowing which response would please him the most. Finally she gave up the idea of deception and decided to tell the truth.

"No ... Elron drove me home. And made sure I got in safetly."

She almost dared her father to criticise him.

"And ... he's driving home now ..?"

Claire wondered at the stupid question.

"Well yes... obviously ... that is ... he's staying with a theatre colleague at the moment ... nearly got blown up in some explosion this week ... "

Claire shook her head incredulously.

"I'm whacked ... and I'll be out by 7 tomorrow morning, so don't worry about me. No idea how long the working day will be so ... I'll sort myself out, OK?"

It was a rhetorical question and Claire breezed out of the room before given them any opportunity for comment or criticisim. She totally missed the expression on their faces ...
 
Glen Kane

The next morning Glen was up and on his way to the theater while Elron was still sleeping, he parked his bike outside in the reserved space and walked to the side entrance. Using keys he entered and started to get things ready for the day, checking that every prop that was there, was ready and made sure that everything was safe and secure. He was having a cup of coffee as the first people started to arrive, he greeted them all and continued to read through the script.
 
Claire Westall

Surprisingly, Claire slept soundly. She had expected to be over-excited or anxious or once asleep that she would have a dream-laden sleep and yet she awoke with her 6 am alarm refreshed and excited!

A quick shower and pulling on jeans and a tunic top, she made her way quietly downstairs and after toast and coffee, loading her bag including script and water, she headed out to the bus stop, arriving at the theatre at an unsociable 07:30. Easing her way through the doors she had entered just the day before, she entered via the stage and looked around to see if anyone had yet arrived ...
 
Glen Kane

"And even though the moon is not fleeting, back then it was basically seen that the moon was born, grew and died in the matter of a month, that is why she didn't want him to swear his love on something so fleeting..."

He turned from the group and gave Claire a smile

"Ah our Juliet arrives, good morning Claire"

He turned his attention back to the four standing in front of him

"Some say that Shakespear was telling us that young love very easily dies and that is why arranged marriages never was because of love, sure some tales does include love in arranged marriages, but they are far and few"

He smiled

"Other say again that it was just his way of saying that we should not swear our love to somebody, but show it and while I am not the hopeless romantic I once was, I can see the reality in such a statement"

He looked down at himself and grumbled as he wiped dust from his clothing, that is the drawback from wearing complete black, dust always showed up on it very easily.
 

"And even though the moon is not fleeting, back then it was basically seen that the moon was born, grew and died in the matter of a month, that is why she didn't want him to swear his love on something so fleeting..."


Claire was relieved to hear a familar voice... Glen ...

"Ah our Juliet arrives, good morning Claire"

She returned his smile. The group around him had turned towards her with obvious curiosity so Claire greeted them all with a smile and a ...hello ...
Then moved to stand with them as they turned their attention back to Glen.

"Some say that Shakespear was telling us that young love very easily dies and that is why arranged marriages never was because of love, sure some tales does include love in arranged marriages, but they are far and few"

Claire let her gaze wander across the assembled group as she tried to imagine what roles they might be playing. All of them it seemed were listening to Glen with rapt attention.

"Other say again that it was just his way of saying that we should not swear our love to somebody, but show it and while I am not the hopeless romantic I once was, I can see the reality in such a statement"

Claire found the idea of Glen as a hopeless romantic entirely plausible. She could imagine him cooking for the lady of his choice; fine wine, chocolates ...
But even in her musings she picked up on a key point - show love by actions, not just words and dipped into her bag to jot down the note. As Juliet she would have wonderful words to say, but her actions would have to be those of one in love, a love her life depended on ...
 
Glen Kane

"But Mr Kane, what of the death of Mercutio? How did it serve the plot?"

Glen smiled

"Through his words he brought on the deaths of our star crossed lovers. Listen to the words:
I am hurt.
A plague o' both your houses! I am sped.
Is he gone, and hath nothing?

What, art thou hurt?

Ay, ay, a scratch, a scratch; marry, 'tis enough.
Where is my page? Go, villain, fetch a surgeon.


Courage, man; the hurt cannot be much.

No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a
church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for
me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man. I
am peppered, I warrant, for this world. A plague o'
both your houses! 'Zounds, a dog, a rat, a mouse, a
cat, to scratch a man to death! a braggart, a
rogue, a villain, that fights by the book of
arithmetic! Why the devil came you between us? I
was hurt under your arm.

I thought all for the best.

Help me into some house, Benvolio,
Or I shall faint. A plague o' both your houses!
They have made worms' meat of me: I have it,
And soundly too: your houses!"

He smoothly switched his voice from character to character, acting them out as he recalled the script. Then he turned his attention back to the people around him, some seemed a bit shocked to see him able to pull off a multi-person scene with voices and actions as well.

"What did Mercutio say repeatedly?"

There seemed to be no answer, almost like they were afraid to give the wrong answer

"A plague on both your houses. With these words Mercutio already tells us the ending of this drama. The main characters of the two houses is our fair Juliet and our courting Romeo..."

"Thank you thank you I'll be here all month"

Glen chuckled and turned to face Elron

"Late as usual, well if my count is right we are all here"

He smiled

"As I was saying the two main characters dies, but we can already deduct it by Mercutio placing a curse on the two houses who in this drama is fronted by Romeo and Juliet. RIGHT!"

He clapped his hands to get everybody's attention

"Let's get started. Gregory, Sampson, Balthazar, Abraham, Benvolio, Tybalt, Capulet, Lady Capulet, Montague, Lady Montague, Prince and Romeo. Front and center, bring your scripts along. We start by reading"
 

"But Mr Kane, what of the death of Mercutio? How did it serve the plot?"


Claire inwardly winced at the question and wondered how the man who asked the question could fail but to know that Mercutio's death was the catalyst of the tragedy if not the very cause.

Her attention was equal to those around her however as Glen began to act the scene, voice and action playing out before them. She could only marvel at his talent, at his understanding of the nuances evident in that one off-the-cuff presentation.

"Late as usual, well if my count is right we are all here"

Ironically it was as if Elron's presence broke the spell.

"Let's get started. Gregory, Sampson, Balthazar, Abraham, Benvolio, Tybalt, Capulet, Lady Capulet, Montague, Lady Montague, Prince and Romeo. Front and center, bring your scripts along. We start by reading"


That left a few of them who did not appear in the early scenes. Claire looked around, to seek out the person who was to play the role of her nurse. Before her she saw the others moving as if taking up positions, forming the two factions of Monatague and Capulet.

"Glen ... where do you want me ..?"

She queried quietly, uncertain whether to wait in the wings or go down to the stalls in front of the stage.
 
Glen Kane

"Ah yes, let's seeeeee...scene three, so that will mean that you and nurse can come over here..."

He walked to a spot

"And once scene two ends, lady Capulet can join you and you can read for us. Servant? Ah there you are"

He moved to another spot

"Stand here and await scene two if you so please"

He looked about him and ordered as many of the groups for scenes, then he moved to the side

"Right people, now you made me believe in you, read for me and bring out your characters, this is show time and the glamor will be in four weeks"

He cleared his throat and turned his gaze towards the empty seats

"Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona, where we lay our scene, from ancient grudge break to new mutiny, where civil blood makes civil hands unclean. From forth the fatal loins of these two foes a pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life; whose misadventured piteous overthrows do with their death bury their parents' strife. The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
and the continuance of their parents' rage, which, but their children's end, nought could remove, is now the two hours' traffic of our stage; the which if you with patient ears attend, what here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend."

He recited the age old introduction and then turned his attention to the group
 
Claire Westall

Claire moved as Glen indicated and gave a smile to the woman now identified as playing Juliet’s nurse, but did not engage in conversation as she was sure that chatter was not helpful during a scene reading. Her eyes moved over the stage identifying characters and noting the make up of the two opposing “houses”. Even though it was a read through the actors included basic movements and gestures and naturally aligned themselves with their “kin folk”. She glanced at Glen. He seemed to be letting the action go as it willed, focusing only on the delivery of the text.

The Prince she found impressive, although a relatively small role, she found his delivery authoritative. The scene changed and Claire heard the discussion between the Montagues and Benvolio which preceded Romeo’s entrance.

From the first speech; “Is the day so young?” He was mesmerising, even on a read through. She could only imagine what it would be like to play opposite him. She remained in the stalls only long enough to see what Paris, her intended bridegroom looked like and note the stature of the actor playing Lord Capulet with whom she would share an aggressive scene with much later and made her way into the wings.

As she stood, she remembered Glen’s advice about becoming Juliet for the duration of the read through and blocked her ears to the remainder of scene II, exchanging a conspiratorial smile with the woman to be her nurse as she moved onto the stage just before her.

Nurse, where’s my daughter? Call her forth to me.

She watched as her co-actor launched into her first speech, their camaraderie already established by their short silent acquaintance in comparison to the other actor, still strange to her who played her mother.

What, lamb! what ladybird!
God forbid! where’s this girl? what, Juliet!


Claire Held the script in her hand, but had no need to consult it for this short scene. Taking a breath she walked on stage, querying:

How now? Who calls?

Your mother.


Claire faced the woman and curtseyed, her voice one of enquiry.

Madam, I am here.
What is your will?


In truth most of the scene was Nurse/Lady Capulet interaction. The true depth of the scene would be the non-verbal interplay and dynamics between the nurse and Juliet as opposed to between Juliet and her mother. But this was impossible to develop during a simple read through, so Claire focused on the relationship with her mother.

I'll look to like, if looking liking move;
But no more deep will I endart mine eye
Than your consent gives strength to make it fly.


Juliet, the County stays.

Go, girl, seek happy nights to happy days.


The scene was over and Claire moved to the side where she could hear the reading, but not watch it directly. She decided she did not want to watch the Queen Mab speech, or see Elron as Romeo before he approached her during the scene of their first meeting.
 
Glen Kane

He was rather impressed and it took a lot to impress him, the cast actually carried themselves well. Elron was his usual impressive, but what really had interested, was how; even as she was just reading, Claire got into her Juliet role. She would do perfectly in his modern version, he just knew it. He watched her, her voice carried so well, sounded like liquid velvet...without meaning to he found himself seeing the props again and had to visibly shake himself to pay attention. One scene slipped to another, during the readings it didn't take much time, but soon the really hard work will begin. And finally the big moment arrived, the first meeting between the two doomed lovers, he held his breath, waiting for it to happen, to see if these two would gel together even if this was just a reading.
 
Claire Westall

As if by consent the stage was left clear by the end of scene IV. Again, as if already directed Elron and the Montague clan stood to one side whilst Claire stood beside the actresses who played her mother and nurse respectively. She had had no contact with the actor playing her father, nor had she with the young man playing Paris.

The servants stood at the middle of the stage, then moved off centre as the Capulet clan stepped forward. Claire was stood between the nurse and her mother, ,but both women drew the actor playing Paris, her intended bride groom forward and the two exchanged a genuinely shy smile of acknowledgement.

Claire glanced over with a smile as “her father” waxed lyrical about past dancing and masking days, but studiously avoided looking across to where Elron stood. and as if taking her cue, the actor “Paris” took her hand helping her to ignore Romeo’s “O, She doth teach the torches to burn bright ... “ speech.

She heard the Tybalt-Capulet argument, but this time kept her eyes on the script, even though in truth she easily knew this scene by heart already. And so she did not notice that the actors had moved aside to leave her and Elron alone centre stage, as if equally curious as Glen to see how their two leads would fare with their first read through.

” If I profane with my unworthiest hand ...

She turned at his voice allowing her gaze to meet his, amazed at the intensity she saw there.

” This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this: “

In the back of her mind, she applauded Elron. He was truly a master.
Gone was the playfulness of their cameraderie. Now he WAS the ardent lover.

” My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.”


She seemed mesmerised by him, by his words.

” Good pilgrim, ... “

Her voice sounded breathless.

” ... you do wrong your hand too much,”

She smiled, half shy, half amused as she continued;

”Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims’ hands do touch."


Elron too had discarded his script and took her hand, lacing his fingers with hers, drawing her gaze to see their hands knitted together as she continued softly:

”And palm to palm is holy palmers’ kiss."

Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?

“Romeo’s” gaze was intense drawing a blush as she averted her gaze.

”Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.
 
Last edited:
Glen Kane

Tentative is my Juliet, then it seemed like the role just slipped onto her and he let his pent up breath out. Perfect, they gelled and that was what mattered at the moment, he smiled at himself. Careful old boy, Elron was charming poor Juliet into a blush and Glen grinned, how easily the veil slid into place to bring the world of make belief into the real world. He ran his gaze over the cast, they watched as it mesmerized and again a smile spread over his lips. Perfect.
 
Claire Westall


O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do!
They pray; grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.


Claire smiled back at him, with all the innocence of Juliet’s youth.

”Saints do not move, though grant for prayers’ sake.”

Then move not while my prayer’s effect I take.

It was obvious to Juliet that Romeo wanted to kiss her. But would he?
It was obvious to Claire that Elron’s cue was to kiss her. But would he?

In both personas her eyes held his as he moved closer, bending in, his kiss on her lips was light, yet lingering.
He barely moved away before delivering his next line.

Thus from my lips, by thine my sin is purg’d.

Claire was no longer shy and smiling, but matched his intensity.

”Then have my lips the sin that they have took.?”

Sin from my lips? O trespass sweetly urg’d!
Give me my sin again.


This time as he moved to kiss her, Claire moved towards him, responding before they drew apart, both seemingly stunned by its intensity.

”You kiss by th’ book... “

For long moments it seemed, Claire and Elron stood as if transfixed.
Whether the nurse was late in her cue, or whether her pause was deliberate, she finally arrived beside her and took hold of Claire’s arm and turning the girl to face her stating.

Madam, your mother craves a word with you.


With a last furtive glance back at Elron, Claire nodded and moved aside to allow the dialogue between Elron and the Nurse.

Come on then, let’s to bed.
Ah, sirrah, by my fay, it waxes late;
I’ll to my rest.


It was Capulet’s line and Claire’s cue.

”Come hither, Nurse. “

Again the cast seemed to be moving to the wings, Claire pointing out members of the cast as Juliet queried their identities until Elron too moved to the side following Mercutio and Benvolio.


”What’s he that follows there, that would not dance?
Go ask his name.”


The Nurse moved away slightly as Claire continued.

”—If he be married,
My grave is like to be my wedding bed.”


His name is Romeo,

Claire turned at the news, her smile freezing as the speech continued.

... and a Montague,
The only son of your great enemy.


Claire walked past the nurse, to the middle of the stage, looking after Elron, then turned and fixed her attention speaking out to Glen, as if railing at the fates.

”My only love, sprung from my only hate!
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
Prodigious birth of love it is to me
That I must love a loathed enemy.


What’s this? what’s this?

Again the interruption of the nurse.

”A rhyme I learn’d even now
Of one I danc’d withal.


Juliet!

Anon, anon!
Come, let’s away; the strangers all are gone.


Claire allowed herself to be bundled over the the side of the stage to stand between Lady Capulet and the Nurse.

They all awaited Glen’s verdict and further instruction for Act II.
 
Back
Top