Get scratches out of a metal butt plug

Hyrulianpet

Virgin
My first plug that I was given has gotten some scratches over time. They are shallow and can't be felt when worn but I would like to still get rid of them if possible. Does anyone have advice on how to do this safely? Thank you in advance.

My first plug that I was given has gotten some scratches over time. They are shallow and can't be felt when worn but I would like to still get rid of them if possible. Does anyone have advice on how to do this safely? Thank you in advance.
A lot will depend on exactly what metal, whether it is plated (and with what,) how deep the scratches are, etc.

In general, you'll need a polishing wheel of some sort -- a Dremel tool would work just fine, but a tool for power buffing your nails might work of that's what you've got. You'll need some sort of buffing compound -- several are available for use with a Dremel, the most common being Rouge. Toothpaste will work if it has any abrasive in it at all.

Buffing wheels for a common drill are fairly cheap and some come with multiple grades of polishing compound. Check an auto parts store -- like Oreilly's or Autozone -- and see what they have for polishing auto paint to a mirror finish; what works on auto bodies will work on your but-plug.

A hobby store with a jewelry making or stone polishing selection will provide other options; Refinishing your plug might be as simple as tossing it in a rock tumbler with a bag of crushed walnut shells.

Thank you both very much! There are certainly lots of different ways it seems! I will be sure to look into them and hopefully fix my plug up soon :)

Whatever you use, clean it thoroughly before using it.
Yes, what BertrandRussell said. I don't know what kind of bacterial might lurk in the polishing compound base material but if there are bugs and you work that material into a crack and don't get the scratch/polishing compound completely out, bad things might happen. All that makes a good case for boiling the plug before using it [remember to let it cool also.]

What kind of plug is it?

It is not irrelevant if it is steel, aluminium, chrome plated metal.... or maybe a gold plated bronze fist?

Do you know what caused the scratches?

Solvol Autosol

It's used by the antiques trade and by restorers of classic motorcycles. It will polish an old engine to a mirror finish, just by rubbing gently with a soft cloth. Slow, but avoids damage from mechanical tools. Minor scratches are easily dealt with - I've used it to polish out tiny marks in all sorts of metal. Get it from an autostore (do you have Halfords?) or even a large supermarket.

I clean off the polish from the pores of the metal with window spray cleaner and then soap & water.

Back