Evil, done in secret, in darkness, after midnight

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Posts
25,720
Evil, done in secret, in darkness, after midnight

By Republicans

2017


Prominent Democrat Elizabeth Warren said: "It's a heist."


Because of a procedural glitch, the bill had to be voted on for a second time in the Republican-dominated House of Representatives. It passed 224 to 201 on Wednesday afternoon.


Democratic leader Chuck Schumer scolded Republicans for talking during his closing argument.


"This is serious stuff," the New York senator said. "We believe you're messing up America."

Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren tweeted: "Let's call this out for what it is: Government for sale."


Senator Kirstin Gillibrand accused Republicans of having "put their donors before hardworking middle-class families".


Senators Cory Booker, of New Jersey, and Kamala Harris, of California, said the bill was a "travesty".


And Tim Kaine, the Virginia senator who was Hillary Clinton's running mate last year, branded the legislation "highway robbery".



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42429424

Simplify taxes, said Trump

For corporations and the wealthiest Americans, the tax bill adds complexities that will make it easier to evade the Internal Revenue Service.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...x-code-theyre-making-it-way-more-complicated/


Trump Boasts He Has Repealed Obamacare, Does Not Understand How Law Works

Trump recognizes that he has no chance to repeal Obamacare, so he is instead pretending to have killed the law that his base loathes (but which the country as a whole likes quite a bit).

The law is primarily financed by other taxes.


States that want to have a highly functioning marketplace will be able to impose a state-level mandate, though, an outcome that could make insurance cheaper in blue states than red ones.




What’s more, the elimination of the individual mandate closes off any chance Republicans had to replace or even scale back Obamacare. Repealing the mandate was the linchpin of the overall repeal effort. The mandate is the law’s most unpopular element, and repealing it saves a lot of money (because, the Congressional Budget Office assumes, it encouraged people to sign up for coverage, which is subsidized by the government). Republicans had used the savings to help finance their replacement plans for Obamacare.

Trump couldn’t come up with anything terrific to replace Obamacare, or even anything adequate. His old plan, which he broadcast repeatedly as evidence of his genius, was to cripple the law and blame Democrats, who, he said, would “own” it. Now Trump is trying to cripple the law while claiming ownership for himself and his party, with no idea what to do to fix it, and having even less ability to do anything than before.


http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...repealed-obamacare-doesnt-understand-law.html

Trump tries to claim that he killed Obamacare, at last.

He is telling a lie, again.

Trump claimed that Obamacare is dying. He lied.

Yes, he and his Trump trolls are wounding Obamacare, because it did not fail on its own.


Obamacare still has supporters that will keep it alive.
 
Also left in the congressional rush to go home for Christmas were the two health-care bills aimed at stabilizing Obamacare that Mitch McConnell promised Susan Collins in exchange for her support for the GOP tax bill; she chose to let him off the hook for breaking this promise, but the debt will definitively come due in January, despite House conservative opposition to doing anything to make Obamacare work better.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/delirious-december-gives-way-to-jittery-january.html
 
North of the arctic circle and south of the antarctic the sun is out at midnight. It wouldn’t be in darkness, hence no evil can be done!

Happy New Year.
 
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said a vote to end debate on a short-term spending bill will take place at 10 p.m. Friday in a last-ditch effort to avert a government shutdown ahead of a midnight deadline.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...3614530bd87_story.html?utm_term=.74b2a21267d9


Midnight Government Shutdown Nears; No Accord in Sight


Bitterly divided Congress careens toward a government shutdown in a partisan stare-down.

Jan. 19, 2018


After hours of negotiating, the Senate scheduled a late-night vote on a House-passed plan. It appeared likely to fail.

Senate GOP leader John Cornyn of Texas said Trump told Schumer to work things out with Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan. McConnell did not attend the meeting because he was not invited, a Senate GOP aide said.


With no agreement by midnight, the government would begin immediately locking its doors. The impact would initially be spotty — since most agencies would be closed until Monday — but each party would be gambling the public would blame the other.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ss-likely-racing-toward-a-government-shutdown

FACEBOOK6 TWITTER GOOGLE LINKEDIN PINTEREST EMAIL


An anti-abortion rights bill passed in the House Friday morning ahead of the March for Life, the biggest yearly event for anti-abortion activists in Washington.
The bill, passed 241-183 in the House, would require doctors to provide medical care to a fetus who is born alive during an abortion or attempted abortion procedure.

If the doctor fails to provide medical care, they could face a criminal fine, up to five years in prison, or both.

It’s not clear whether such a bill would advance in the Senate, where it would likely require at least 60 votes to break a filibuster.

The bill was first introduced by then-Rep. Trent Franks, who resigned in December after allegations of sexual harassment.



The debate on abortion in Washington comes amid a potential federal government shutdown, after House Republicans passed the spending bill out of their chamber Thursday night. The bill’s future in the Senate is dicey after more than a dozen Democrats already announced they’d vote against it.

http://ktla.com/2018/01/19/house-passes-anti-abortion-bill-ahead-of-march-for-life-rally/
 
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said a vote to end debate on a short-term spending bill will take place at 10 p.m. Friday in a last-ditch effort to avert a government shutdown ahead of a midnight deadline.
When Pelosi was speaker, she waited till she had votes secured before she called for a vote. Like Ryan with the ACA-killing vote that failed, McConnell is setting a deadline BEFORE he has votes. Dumb.
 
Back
Top