Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > BDSM Talk > BDSM Cafe

Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
cookiecat
Literotica Guru

off topic - Expectations

Was having a conversation with a friend about expectations. Just in general - expectations about people in your life, about what you order at a restaurant, service you receive at a store - whatever.

She says she sets her expectations very high. And why shouldn't she? The rules she sets out for herself - be on time, don't talk over people, be nice - are rules she applies to the people in her life. She has high expectations when it pertains to all things service related. If she's paying for something, she has a certain level of expectation how things will turn out.

I am the opposite. Some might say it's setting the bar too low. I call it not setting myself up for disappointment. This isn't to say I let myself be steamrolled by poor service, by thoughtless friends, etc.

The thing I see with my friend is she's constantly let down by virtually everything and everyone. She seems at odds with co-workers, has lost several friends over perceived slights. She is upset over this consternation in her life.

Where does you fall when it comes to expectations? On the too high side, the just right side or the low/no side? Why?

Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

I think it's helpful to divorce the standard you set for yourself from the standard that you expect the rest of the world to follow.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
twister947
Mama Tried

I love my friends because of their quirks, not in spite of them. Or at least, I try to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What you need is sustained outrage...there's far too much unthinking respect given to authority." Molly Ivins
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"My level of rage, always high, is now in fever pitch all the time."
Fran Lebowitz

Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
ilCacciatore
Experienced

I generally set standards for different individuals based on the individual themself and the situation. I don’t find having a single set high or low is particularly helpful. Some folks are more capable of things than others, some need to improve themselves and requiring more of them can be the catalyst that helps them do so. Others may get too nervous knowing so much is expected of them and have the anxiety cause them to fail.

Tailor it.

https://il-cacciatore.tumblr.com/
https://tentazione.tumblr.com/

== Results from bdsmtest.org ==
100% Dominant
100% Degrader
100% Master/Mistress
99% Owner
76% Daddy/Mommy
69% Rigger
67% Experiment

Old 06-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
PrettyLilPussy19
Literotica Guru

I love this question.

I think, generally, I always set the bar low at first because I hate disappointment.
Exceptions -
*When I expect people to act how I would act in a situation or be as thoughtful in a situation, which is also a set up for disappointment.
*When someone has proven that the bar can be maintained at a higher level, then there's no downgrading after that.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

A pessimist is seldom wrong but rarely pleased; an optimist is seldom right, but generally happy.

At bottom, it’s one’s philosophy of living. Setting oneself high standards has nothing to do with other people’s behaviour.

All my stories

My latest story: House of Feathers Ch 24: An Unexpected Proposal

Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
FAITHandFLESH
Literotica Guru

You get what you expect and what you set yourself up for...

Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
gracie920101
Colors outside the lines

I'm one of those people that are constantly disappointed because I expect certain things out of people and they don't comply.

I constantly have to tell myself that other people do not live by my timetable.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
midwestyankee
Literotica Guru

My mother lived her life with an approach like yours, Cookie, and she was a happy woman for all of her 88 years. My father held the whole world to very high standards and while he was also generally happy, I think he was secretly disappointed by most of the world. Having studied carefully for years under both of these teachers, I live a mixed bag. I think I have high expectations but am also quite merciful when they’re not met.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
SalvDali
Really Really Experienced

definitely the high expectation standards for me. Especially timeliness.. I have managed to bite my tongue when it pertains to friends though. There is a couple we hang out with a lot who are never on time for anything. It really irritated me at first but I have learned to work around it . I can't control everyone...

100% Dominant 100% Rigger 98% Experimentalist 95% Master 87% Exhibitionist 86% Voyeur 80% Daddy

Not looking for a new sex partner. So don't bother sending a PM if that's what you are looking for.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #11
AlwaysFara
Literotica Guru

My expectations are way too high, which is why I’m miserable.

NAiA
💙💛

Old 06-04-2019, 12:47 AM   #12
SissySalina
Literotica Guru

sissy believes that each person is different an the expectation of all others is that they will not be the same. sissy tries very hard to treat all with respect and maintain manners.
sissy tries very hard to be honest and straight forward with others, there are those times when a little misunderstanding is allowed.
"If you expect nothing you will not be disappointed" someone said that once and it is very true.
sissy has traveled and found all that expect the same as home are very disappointed but those that expect all to be different are very pleased.
As many would say "sissy expectations" are 3 out of 5.

Sissy Salina

Sissy Rules
Sissy will only refer to sissy-self as sissy
Sissy will be in chastity (except for cleaning)
Sissy will be plugged both penile & anal(except for cleaning or usage)
Sissy will have enema twice a day
Sissy is never allowed to say "no"
Sissy giving oral servitude will have hands bound behind back
Sissy will swallow all cum or nectar
Sissy should be milked once a month
Sissy is never allowed ejaculation
Sissy’s only duty is to serve others
Sissyies are always bound or caged at night
Sissies are never to wear any male clothing articles
Sissy's will remove all hair except the long head hair
Sissy will have pierced ears and other piercings

Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #13
Pocketshaver
Really Experienced

my standards are very low in my opinion.

don't lie to me, don't cheat on me. Somehow those standards are beyond reach of just about everyone I meet

Old 06-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #14
Jada59
Literotica Guru

Depends on who that person is. For someone I am paying, such as a Dr., lawyer, hair dresser, etc. I have high expectations. Same goes for a store clerk or waiter.

I also have high expectations for a dance partner, coworker. or SO. But in a different way. I don't need them to be perfect but I do expect them to at least be able to talk things through and come to some sort of agreement when we butt heads.

For friends or the population in general, I have no expectations. I take them as they are. We either get along or we don't. If we don't, we can go our separate ways. The same would apply to relatives. I say this because most (but not all) of my relatives are out for themselves and I have learned not to depend on them for anything. Once in a while they will pull through for me. If so, great! I just know how they are.

I will add one other thing. Self Love! Do not depend on others to bring you happiness. If that's what you do, you will usually be disappointed. Love yourself and you'll always be happy. I say this only because it sounds like some people get upset/sad when their expectations aren't met.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

If it's pics or vids that you're looking for, keep on looking!

But do stop by my Online Jack and Jill Party!

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1484417

Divorced, Washington State

Team PM

Last edited by Jada59 : 06-04-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:36 AM   #15
PuckIt
Literotica Guru

Last edited by PuckIt : 06-04-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #16
cookiecat
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckIt View Post

Nice to see you

Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #17
cookiecat
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFara View Post
My expectations are way too high, which is why I’m miserable.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #18
cookiecat
Literotica Guru

Thanks, everyone for playing along. Gives me some food for thought.

(my brain is on the fritz - I can't seem to reply much more at the moment)

Old 06-05-2019, 04:27 AM   #19
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

This question makes me ask myself; What is the root of expectations? The first answer that comes to me is; Judgement. Judgement is watching someone or something with preconceived criteria of my standards of acceptability...my tendency to judge uses habitual and proudly set expectations as guide posts to evaluate if my criteria are met.

Expectations, assumptions, presumptions, conjectures, predictions, hopes. These synonyms all speak to my own preconceived notions of the proper behavior, speech, lifestyle, etc. in respect to people.

But not all expectations/judgements are vain, are they? Many systems of philosophy/religion say that desire is the seed of pain. I suppose expectations and desire are very close relations. Thus, expectations also become a seed of pain, regardless of their level of righteousness.

If this is true, then; High expectations will lead to more pain of disappointment. But this is an age old problem, the teachings of curbing desire have been with us for a very long time. In the end, it is folly for me to desire that a person will live their life in the way I expect them to...yet still I repeat this folly on a daily basis. Did I mention the part about this being an age old problem we humans face

The only hope of a cure for this judgment is to be disappointed so many times that the pain becomes not worth it any longer. The pain of disappointment works like a shock collar to remind me of safe boundaries for my judgment. Less judgment leads to less pain/disappointment which leads to more inner peace...which leads to more joy.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not stoned...this is just me thinking too late into the night and now I'm going to bed.

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old 06-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #20
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Also, I really wish English used different words for "what I think somebody is likely to do" and "what I think somebody should do" instead of using "expectation" for both.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #21
gracie920101
Colors outside the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckIt View Post
Puck!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #22
AlwaysFara
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie920101 View Post
Puck!!!!!!