A Place Of Ones Own (closed)

"Even if she is... I have to know where I came from, I'll find the crew of the Windwalker and learn the story... You can stay home if you want, Ann, but I'll be gone a long time," he shook his head. "I just have to go."
 
"You're my husband, David. I'm going with you." Annie insisted, unwilling to let her husband simply go off to Greece without her for months. "We'll find your mother together."
 
David's brows stitched in concern. "What about the horses? Ferrous especially?" He knew the half-wild stallion would strike out at a caretaker he didn't know. "I mean... sure your family could care for them, but..."
 
"Gabriel could care for him. He helps with the stables enough anyway." She said, suggesting her cousin. "Or we could take him with us. A long ride would certainly tame the wild streak he has."
 
"I suppose we could..." David nodded. "Then we'll take him and Highlander." Highlander was David's own horse, a strong working Clydesdale that had once worked in the lumberyard. "But when do you want to go?" He forced himself to slow down. "I'm sure we can't just up and leave."
 
"We need to talk to Da first. He'll be able to tell us the safest route to go and perhaps he can help us plan." She said. To Annie, her father was still one of the smartest men in the world. He could do no wrong in her eyes.
 
"Might want to talk to Durban too... he's been to Greece, I think I remember." David came to kiss her cheek. "You're sure you want to come with me...?" He knew she would say yes, but he was worried about the journey. It'd be long, tough and Annie had never attempted anything of the sort.
 
"I'm sure." Annie said softly after her husband had kissed her cheek. "I can't let you go for months at a time. I can't bear to let you go for hours while you're working."

She had spoken like a true woman in love and she was soon wrapping her arms around his broad shoulders, squeezing him tightly in reassurance.
 
David couldn't help a gentle smile, taking her about the waist and kissing her in deep gratitude. If the truth be known, he didn't know if he could make it without her. "I love you, Ann."

"So ya should," Havish's voice reached their ears as he returned with a broad smile on his face.

"You've been listening?"

"O' course. Someone's got t'know what you two kids're up to."
 
"You sound just like my Da." Annie said with a grin as she pressed her forehead against David's cheek. "Couldn't get a moment to ourselves until we moved into our cabin after the wedding."

"Havish, do you think you can make it without David for a few months?" Annie asked him, knowing that if they were busy or needed an extra hand their journey might be pushed back.
 
"Sure, jus' bring 'im back in one piece, aye?" Havish chuckled. "An' I'll give ya a bit extra fer yer wages David. I want t'see ya make it t'Greece an' find Ria."

"You have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you, Havish."

"No worries. Now, ye'd best go see t'the Ghis, they won' take kindly t'their girl disappearin'.
 
Annie smiled as she saw the light in David's eyes. He was excited for their journey, but she knew that she would have some opposition when it came to her family. Her father had always been protective of her, ever since her mother had been killed. It was almost overbearing sometimes. Still, she respected his opinion and always took his advice to heart.

Once they left the lumber camp on the way to the keep, Annie squeezed David's hand and looked up into her husband's handsome gaze. "Hopefully Da won't be too cross today."
 
When they arrived, they found Brogan outside, just having finished talking to Theo and Valentina. When he saw Annie and David, he smiled softly, "Hey, kids. What's goin' on t'day?"
 
"Well, Da, there's something important that David and I need to talk to you about." Annie said, kissing her father's cheek sweetly. The last time she had said that to him, it was to announce that she and David would be marrying. He had not taken that news the best.
 
Brogan raised an eyebrow, remembering last time. "What now?"

"Sir... we- well, I- have to go to Greece."

"... Why?"

"To find my mother."
 
"David just found out that his mother might still be alive and living in Greece, Da." Annie said, taking her father's great hand in her own and squeezing it tightly. "We want to go and see if we can find her."
 
"I'm not sure I want you two goin' off so far away," Brogan sighed.

"We'll make it just fine, Brogan. You know I'll take care of Annie."

"Tha' you will... Alright, fine." But that was just too easy. Brogan never gave in to such things without a fight.
 
"Da." Annie scolded her father, taking a step back away from him and placing her hands on her hips. "I'll go and talk to Ma if I have to."
 
"Y'can go if ya need to," Brogan sighed, running a hand back through his hair. "Leave yer Ma be for a bit, she needs 'er rest..."

"What's going on?" David asked softly.

"A bloody lot. Possible war, Julia's pregnant..."
 
"You're having a baby?" Annie asked, stunned that her parents were expanding the family. "Ma never said that you were even trying."

She could see the stress on her father's face and she desperately wanted to take the worry from his shoulders. She moved forward quickly and hugged him tightly, her cheek pressing against his chest.

"It'll be alright, Da. Everything will work out." She murmured, trying to lift his spirits.
 
"We weren't tryin'... this wasn' planned, an' she's all out o' sorts an' worried an' she thinks we can't 'andle another baby..." Brogan wrapped his arms around her. "You two go t'Greece, y'find David's Ma. Invite 'er back 'ere if she'd like t'come. We'll be waitin' for ya."
 
"You're sure, Da?" Annie asked, taking a step back and looking into her father's dark gaze. "We'll be back as soon as we can be. I wouldn't miss my new sibling for the world."
 
"Go ahead. Jus'... be careful, darlin'." Brogan lifted a hand to her cheek, and she saw the genuine fear in his eyes that something might happen to her. He always looked that way when she went to do something new and possibly dangerous. It was because of his past and her mother.
 
"David will take care of me, Da. I'll write you all the time too." Annie promised, knowing that her father worried about her doing anything out of the usual. "I promise."

She kissed her father's cheek one last time before she turned to look at David. She could see the longing in his eyes and knew that they would be going on their journey very soon.
 
Soon was an understatement. David was ready in just one day more, having bought everything they'd need, pulled together all his money, and readied the horses. He was itching to go, but he was also confused with himself. Why was he suddenly so worried about meeting his mother? He'd never cared before... perhaps it was because he knew he might be a father one day soon.
 
Back
Top