I don't get it

My children watch more garbage on youtube than I could even find on television.. but they tend to like stupid humor more than frightful things.

When they were younger (7, 9, 11) -
It was hot out one day. We were near a theater and decided to catch a movie to get out of the heat. When we got there, the boys started begging to watch Dodgeball. I hadn't even heard of it; but trusted the nice ticket lady when I asked her if it was "child appropriate" and she told me "the only people that see it are kids."

omg - I don't know if I was more shocked that Dodgeball was considered "child appropriate" or that my children knew EXACTLY which scenes were funny.. and why. At one point, my 7 year old leaned over, thinking he needed to explain the joke to me. About a dozen times, I started to get up to leave.. and then the movie would calm down.. and then OMG

but.. we lived. we laughed about it. seeing lesbians in short shorts hasn't ruined any of them any more than wearing jeans that read, "Lucky You" on the fly.
 
*snip*
I LOVED Fright Night, by the way. :) Watched it enough to speak along with the roles (and develop a major crush on Chris Sarandon, which I now think is weird). Did you see the remake? It's....it's okay. (Sarandon has a cameo - that was unexpected and pretty cool).*snip*
I loved that movie too and psycho watchted it and had a major thing for Chris Sarandon. So you were not weird at all. *nods, knowing in my heart that you might be just as weird as I am.* The remake wasn't great--but you have to admit, when they went for sexy ass vampire, they did hit the heart with the stake when they chose Collin Farrell.

*snip*My best/worst "cover your eyes" moment. My mom wanted to watch The Accused. She let my brother and me watch it, but when it came to the rape scene she had us out pillows over our faces. We could still hear it all. I'm pretty sure I was 8, maybe 9. I set out to watch that movie years later and was mad at my mom that she thought that was okay. (Great flick, though).*snip*
I went to see this one with a bunch of friends, and had to walk out during that scene due to a massive panic attack. To this day, have never seen the end of that movie.

Way back in 2004, my now ex-husband and I went to see The Libertine, which was about a sex-crazed syphllitic French poet. Cunt, was about every 4th word, and I looked in the front row and there was a woman with a 4ish year old, and a baby in a stroller. All I could think was when that kid starts calling everyone he knows a cunt, he is going to be in trouble--and that made me want to go down and punch his mother in the back of the head. It also brought me to the realization, that though I may never be Mother of the Year, I could probably relax a little, and stop worrying about fucking up my kids since even I knew that being selfish enough to bring babies to that sort of movie was appalling.
 
I find this discussion utterly fascinating. I hope JtohisPB:rose: won't mind my asking a question.

Many of you suggest that violence and scary images are okay, but sex - especially violent and/or graphic/extended sex- is off limits. How is the violent sex/non-consensual sex/rape not okay? After all, the violence, the scary stuff is non-consensual in the movies and it can happen in real life. So why is rage through sex, which also can happen in life life just as violence/scary shit, not okay? They are both violent, they are both non-consensual, and they both can happen in real life. Maybe not through werewolves and vampires, but the directed, deliberated, cold-blooded non-consensual violence does.

I would think that showing rape/non-consensual sex is more effective as a teaching moment, as you can obviously say 'this is NOT okay', whereas the depiction of violence/scary shit is much much more ambiguous (good guys kill, the scary shit is okay, etc).

Maybe because I come from a different background, especially as I am a daughter of war-survivor who also had to deal with the after-math and the consequent bloody revolution, but I honestly see no difference between the two and would prefer to see rape and non-consensual sex as it was easier for me to classify. For what it's worth, as a child, the sex didn't bother me (even if it was rape. There were almost always consequences if there was rape). The scary shit/violence is what bothered me. But then again, I didn't watch much TV and rarely saw movies as a child, so I think that this had a huge impact on what bothered me and didn't.

Just a question. This observer wants to know. :D
 
Last edited:
I LOVED Fright Night, by the way. :) Watched it enough to speak along with the roles (and develop a major crush on Chris Sarandon, which I now think is weird). Did you see the remake? It's....it's okay. (Sarandon has a cameo - that was unexpected and pretty cool).

Man, I watched that movie so many times I can still nearly repeat it word for word. I love that movie to this day. And, that was the very first time I ever saw bare boobies. Oh how I loved seeing them. I'm still amazed that my parents let me watch that movie when I was four. Crazy.

I did see the remake but I was disappointed. I felt like there was no plot. Just all action. The original had characters and development. Total cult classic.
 
This has been a very enlightening thread, even for a non-parent such as myself. I haven't ruled out the possibility of having children of my own, or being in a relationship with someone that already has kids, and the question of what is or is not acceptable viewing for a child has occurred to me before. I never had any restrictions on movies, tv, games, etc. I got away with a lot growing up, far more than my sisters. I certainly feel that parents have to be in agreement about these sorts of issues, but I know it would be difficult to set restrictions on my child given my own experience. I was a very curious kid and am still a very curious adult. Quite honestly, I'm not sure any attempts at restricting my activities as a child would have been successful anyhow.
 
great thread thanks.I censor for my daughters. I know it needs to be done for them.
 
To overprotective parents

You are doing more harm than good. Sometimes u gotta understand that kids are going to be kids. They are going to make mistakes sometimes you got to let em. And hope they learn from them u gotta understand that you cannot live their lives for them. And eventually they are going to do what they want to do. You just got to be there and give directions when they are lost and hope they follow and pray they make it to they destination. You cannot always take them there.
 
Back
Top