Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had steak at Friday's over the weekend. It was rare, but it was hot inside. I don't know how they did it. Fucker fell apart when I cut it LOL

There is a new kind of industrial oven. It combines microwaves with broiling and high-heat convection. I was watching something on it on that show modern marvels. Their first customer was Subway after a lot of rejections. Apparently a lot of food service is now ordering them. I now wonder if other places are trying them. Because of the stigma on microwave food, I doubt they would mention it.

Perhaps Johnny can salvage it by ladling a nice marinara sauce over it?

I managed to make it to the store during mark-downs and got my pack of chicken thighs for $1.50, salmon for $3, ahi-ahi for $2, and steaks for $4.

Tonight it's roasted salmon fillets with just some salt, pepper, and lemon for taste.

Instead of baking them at higher temperatures, I'm going to try baking at 250 for 30 minutes with a pan of water in the oven.

Edit:

Simmered some brown, long grain rice with about a a tsp of butter. When the rice and salmon were done, I heated up a vegetable curry I had left over.

The salmon was perfect, and the rice and curry a light enough accompaniment. I ate mine as is while mom piled on dill and some other herbs, threw away the skin, and then only ate her salmon before declaring she was full.

Last edited:
I freeze bread as soon as I get it. Otherwise I would never get through it all. It thaws pretty well, and it tastes better than week-old bread.

Toasted one of those chewy, French Bread style sub rolls. I made sauce with a pound of Italian Sausage the other day, but haven't been in the mood for pasta. Should have left the Sausage whole, but I crumbled it into the sauce.

attachment.php

I fished out the sausage and made a Sloppy-Joe style sub with some melted Provolone on top.

I'm great with leftovers.

Attachments

• Sloppy Giuseppe.jpg
    Sloppy Giuseppe.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 78
I am making banana wheat pancakes and scrambled eggs for the kiddos as I text this.

I made Warm and Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa Recipe for breakfast this morning. I had to improvise a bit, but it was delicious.

That looks amazing! I am trying to find ways to introduce the family to Quinoa. I will give it a try this week.

Last night I made baby back ribs. I was shocked how good they came out, considering it was a crock pot recipe. At the end, you just throw them in the oven for 10 minutes with BBQ sauce. Amazingly good!

Oooh, that looks good. I hate oatmeal, but love quinoa, so I might have to try that sometime.

It's a great sub for oatmeal if you want hot "cereal."

That looks amazing! I am trying to find ways to introduce the family to Quinoa. I will give it a try this week.

It was wonderful. I used coconut milk in place of regular - I wish I had some coconut flakes to toast with the nuts. Very filling!

Made two honking big lasagnas yesterday. Had 14 for dinner and only 4 pieces left. Double sided garlic bread toasted in the oven to go with it. Yummy.

easy+homemade+lasagna.jpg

Looks might tasty. Recipe?

Chicken Schnitzel

Ingredients:
• 2 4-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise and pounded to 1/8 inch thickness
• 1 ounce rub, I used Sweet on Fire
• 1 cup flour
• 2 large eggs
• 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
• 2 cups (or more) panko bread crumbs
• 1 TBSP canola oil
• 2 TBSP butter
• Salt and pepper to taste

Method
1. Split the breasts and pound with meat hammer or other implement to get to 1/8 inch thickness.
2. Season chicken breasts with a liberal amount of seasoning and black pepper.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour
4. Beat eggs and add the Dijon mustard in a shallow dish.
5. Put flour in another shallow dish to dredge the chicken
6. Put 1 cup of panko and salt and pepper in another shallow dish.
7. Working with 1/2 chicken breast at a time, dredge in flour, coat completely and shake off excess, then dip the chicken breast in the egg/mustard mixture, make sure the breast is completely covered; coat the chicken with the panko bread crumbs, pressing the breast in to completely over. Set aside on a plate. Repeat. Add panko as necessary.
8. Heat 1 TBSP oil and 2 TBSP butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remember the no-stick hint, “hot pan, cold oil.” Pan should be large enough to hold the 4 pieces of chicken.
9. Add the breasts to the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, which is about 2-3 minutes on each side.
10. Serve with lemon wedges and parsley as garnish.

Chicken Schnitzel

Ingredients:
• 2 4-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise and pounded to 1/8 inch thickness
• 1 ounce rub, I used Sweet on Fire
• 1 cup flour
• 2 large eggs
• 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
• 2 cups (or more) panko bread crumbs
• 1 TBSP canola oil
• 2 TBSP butter
• Salt and pepper to taste

Method
1. Split the breasts and pound with meat hammer or other implement to get to 1/8 inch thickness.
2. Season chicken breasts with a liberal amount of seasoning and black pepper.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour
4. Beat eggs and add the Dijon mustard in a shallow dish.
5. Put flour in another shallow dish to dredge the chicken
6. Put 1 cup of panko and salt and pepper in another shallow dish.
7. Working with 1/2 chicken breast at a time, dredge in flour, coat completely and shake off excess, then dip the chicken breast in the egg/mustard mixture, make sure the breast is completely covered; coat the chicken with the panko bread crumbs, pressing the breast in to completely over. Set aside on a plate. Repeat. Add panko as necessary.
8. Heat 1 TBSP oil and 2 TBSP butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remember the no-stick hint, “hot pan, cold oil.” Pan should be large enough to hold the 4 pieces of chicken.
9. Add the breasts to the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, which is about 2-3 minutes on each side.
10. Serve with lemon wedges and parsley as garnish.

So much to like about this method, but the Dijon in the egg is brilliant. I am adopting this. Nice work.

Kids did not want the banana pancakes, so I made them bagels and eggs instead. Pancake haters. I have failed as a parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back