Darkwood (closed)

Burke practically clung to Dylandra's side as they got closer and closer to the work house, until he was curled in a ball hiding between the couple as they came to a halt.

Kensington Home for Boys was a former brick-and-timber boarding house, three stories tall and shouldered against a carpenter's shop on one side, and a tailor on the other with a storehouse behind. Separated from the rest of the town by a tall wooden fence, the grounds contained a carpentry work yard, gardens, and livestock barns. It seemed fairly self-sufficient, and in rough but acceptable shape. As the wagon sat outside the wooden gate and Ashien got a look at the place, young men between fourteen and six were going about their work around the grounds. Their clothes were ragged, but they all had proper winter gear and boots, and they seemed to have fairly good tools for their jobs. But the damning thing about it all was how things they were, and how unlike children they all acted. Even the youngest were quiet, skittish, and didn't seem curious or excited about the world like they should've been at their age. The older boys looked hardened, some even angry, avoiding others when possible. Leading small groups were the oldest boys, barking orders like military officers and yelling at anyone who lagged behind. The only exception to all of this were some boys dressed in slightly better-mended clothing hanging around the doors and gate, arms crossed and watching everything going on around them but seemingly not working.

One if these boys, seemingly fourteen, opened the front gate to look out at Dylandra's group. Seeing the fine clothing among them, he tilted his head and his brow furrowed. "I think you folks are in the wrong place. They hire out proper butlers in the city, not here."
 
“We are here to speak to your director.” Dylan said as the young boy tried to get them to go away. “Is he here and might we see him?”

She made no movement to expose Burke, letting him stay curled between herself and Ash, obscured by both her cloak and his thick winter coat.
 
"He's in the office right inside." He pointed to the main doors. "First door on the left." Not caring for the strangers, the boy stepped away, back to his post inside the gate, waiting impatiently for them to go in. Ashien raised an eyebrow, not particularly impressed with the boy's lack of manners. But he knew most boys in workhouses weren't taught manners, they were taught to work hard and be silent. Glancing back to Dylandra and Burke, Ashien stepped down from the wagon.

"Kiva, look after the wagon, please," Ashien requested, Kiva giving him a nod. Ashien stepped around to help Dylandra and Burke down, keeping the boy between them still.
 
“Stay at my side.” Dylan murmured to Burke, her arm holding him close as they walked into the workhouse.

Dylan was struck at how shabby everything was and absolutely devoid of color and happiness. It smelled of unwashed bodies, the poor children there avoiding their gaze. She couldn’t imagine a child living any kind of meaningful life there.
 
A few of the boys caught sight of Burke as the trio went, some clearly recognizing the small boy with surprise, glares, and among those who seemed to be acting as guards or prefects, smirks at seeing the boy return. He'd been missing for about a month at this point.

The inside of the building was at least in slightly better shape, the interior fairly warm, and a number of boys going about cleaning duties and staying out of Ashien and Dylandra's way. The Overseer's office sat right next to the entrance, the doors slightly ajar and the scent of tobacco smoke coming from inside as a low male voice spoke. Ashien paused briefly before nudging the door open to reveal a large office with a wall of books behind a desk, a hearth on one side, and a wall of tiny wooden cabinets on the other side, each door the size of a playing card with a name scrawled on its plaque.

Behind the desk sat a man in his mid-fifties with a wooden tobacco pipe in his mouth, looking over some newly-opened letter as a young boy no older than eight stood awaiting his judgement on the opposite side. The trio caught the end of the conversation just before Ashien stepped in.

"-that you raided the cupboards late at night on several occasions, so he refuses to pay your full hiring fee. Care to explain?"

"They said I had to eat with the other hands, sir, but the other hands made me work through meals and didn't leave anything for me. I was starving."

"They didn't give you an allowance like your contract says?"

"No, sir, not a farthing."

"Hm... You have lost a bit of weight... I'll get to the bottom of this. Go get something to eat and take a day off once your normal chores are done. I believe you."

"Thank you, sir." The boy was turning to leave just as Ashien opened the door. The boy paused, then darted out past them. The Overseer, a slightly-rotund older fellow with thick, short grey hair and full mutton chops and a moustache, rose from his seat with pipe still in hand, leaving the letter on the desk. He straightened his patchy vest and shirt seeing the sort of clothes Ashien and Dylandra wore, and finally set the pipe down as well. Steely eyes looked them up and down with the cunning of a businessman, but also some natural distrust. Then he caught sight of Burke.

"Ah, Mr. Hjallrsson. Didn't think we'd see you again after those blizzards." There was some annoyance to his voice, but he turned his attention to Ashien. "Welcome to Kensington Home for Boys, noble sir, I'm Hendric Wayfair. I'm the Overseer of this establishment."

"Ashien Ghis of Darkwood," Ashien stepped forward to shake the man's hand, determined to keep things agreeable and friendly for Burke's sake. "And this is my wife, Dylandra. Some weeks ago, my wife and staff found this young man in rags scraping for food in the mud and rain while I was away to the mainland. I've just returned and we'd like to get this all sorted out properly with Burke's best interests in mind."

"Well, Sir Ashien, I can promise you boys aren't kicked out of here to fend for themselves. I'm afraid Burke ran after his last job ended with the unfortunate passing of his employer. I can't afford to pay any damages he may have caused to your estate, but I'd be happy to take him back in and off your hands."

At that, Burke clung once more to Dylandra, half-hiding behind her and earning an odd look from Wayfair. Ashien cleared his throat to take Wayfair's attention back, and clasped his hands behind his back, standing tall and confident. "He hasn't caused any damage or been any burden. In fact, he's been quite the help to my wife and staff, and we've begun teaching him to read and write. He shows immense promise according to my staff, both in the stables and the kitchens."

Wayfair raised an eyebrow, looking to Burke a moment and back to Ashien. "This little troublemaker?"
 
“He’s no trouble at all. In fact, we’ve found him to be very hard working.” Dylan said, hugging Burke tightly to her side. “I don’t know how he came to be here but he is the perfect gentleman at Darkwood.”
 
"It wasn't anyone's choice for him to be here, madame. Most of the boys here are orphans, runaways, or those given up because their families couldn't feed them. In Burke's case... An orphan needs a home and no one was interested in adopting a two-year old at the time he was found. He ended up here and he's been a good worker, but he's been involved in more fights than most of the other boys here, and he's run away a couple times thus far. You see all those scars? The older boys and street urchins did that to him. It's a cruel world, and Burke seems to be a magnet for trouble. What he's doing to provoke them, I don't know. Maybe it's just because he's small and doesn't talk hardly at all. But the trouble around him has been a thorn in my side for a long time."
 
Dylan glanced over at Ashien when that was said and then down at Burke, the young boy holding on to her for dear life. “I would like to try and give Burke a life outside of this place. How do we make that happen?”
 
"Adoption?" Wayfair looked to Ashien then. Ashien glanced to Burke and Dylandra, and then nodded.

"Yes. He'll be a Ghis," Ashien decided firmly.

"Well, ah... I don't believe I can do that, sir. I've never had a boy adopted in all my time as Overseer. As far as I know, I'm not allowed to adopt them out. This isn't an orphanage. The boys here are the king's wards meant to be taught trades and work skills, then set up with an amount of money and a job or apprenticeship when they reach fifteen."
 
“Well, if we need to bring the king into this, we will. I had dinner with him only a few nights ago. I’m sure he wouldn’t have any issue with this.” Dylan said as Ashien declared that Burke would be their son if this plan were to go through.
 
"In all honesty, milady, I have no idea what routes you would need to go through to make this happen. But if you have access to the king himself, I'm sure you can manage. However, this brings up an issue. Legally, I'm not allowed to just give these boys to people. It requires contracts, legal documentation-"

"In other words, we need to hire him properly, or we can't legally take him home regardless of our intentions. I'm aware of the regulations." Ashien sighed with a nod. "Alright, then. I'll sign anything that needs signing and pay whatever the fee is. I'm not leaving Burke here. In fact, I think we'll go right to the palace after this. If Henry's busy, Isabella can point us to whoever we need to speak to."

Wayfair seemed confused at how casually Ashien spoke of the King and Princess, but he simply nodded and went to pull a few ledgers out of his desk. "I'll fill in all the necessary information later, sir. Hiring out for... house work. If you'll sign here along with your place of residence... and in this one." He showed Ashien each place to sign before motioning Burke over. "Come over here, lad. Have you learned your letters?" Burke nodded slowly, and Wayfair turned one of the ledgers to him. "Write your name. Do you know how to spell it?"

"No, sir..."

"That's alright. Here..." The Overseer spelled it out for him, and in moderately neat but shaky letters, Burke wrote 'Burke Yngve Hjallrsson.' The Overseer then took the ledger and closed it. "Alright then... Well, I suppose this is the last time I'll see you. I know you had a rough time here, lad, and I apologize for it. Lack of funding and a lot of angry young men... they don't make for a good environment for a small boy. But you're a good lad and these look like good people. I think you'll be okay."

"Thank you, sir..." Burke muttered before returning to Dylandra.

"Look after him," the Overseer sighed, looking between the couple. "I'm sure he only remembers the times I've lost my temper... but I like this one. He deserves better than some underfunded old boarding house."
 
Dylan welcomed Burke back to her side after he had signed his papers, allowing the little boy to hide all he liked from the situation. Her hand rested on his shoulder, glancing between Ashien and the overseer.

“Tell is your needs here and we will make sure that you do not have to struggle as much.” Dylan said in all sincerity. “It does little good to send angry young men out into the world when they could have easily been given advantages.”
 
"I can't help their dispositions. Many are so aggressive because they've learned only the most vicious and strong survive. They've never been shown kindness or good will. The Home is underfunded and overcrowded, so they fight to see who eats first and who gets the best work. When they leave, all I can give them is s small allowance, a new set of clothes, and recommendations to masters and businessmen. There are no guarantees for them."

"This may be something to take up with Henry as well... To think, there's a rich cathedral just down the way and a bishop who dresses like he's king of Christendom and decorates the place with gold and silver, and not two blocks away there's boys nearly starving and being worked like animals."
 
Last edited:
“We will bring the concerns personally.” Dylan said as Burke hugged her a little tighter. “But in the mean time, there are things we must do before we go to the palace.”

She looked down at Burke, intent on dressing him in clothing befitting a Ghis or a squire before they met Henry.
 
"Hopefully we can sort out something. Either improvements or perhaps sponsors, who knows." Ashien shook Wayfair's hand.

"I appreciate it, sir, but I don't hold out much hope. My boys have always had to support themselves, that's why so many work here rather than getting hired out. They provide the food and clothes for the others. The money they make on outside jobs goes toward materials."

"Being self-sufficient isn't bad for them, many of them will end up being farmers and craftsmen after all. It's that despite their hard work, they get less than others doing the same jobs. That needs to change, and maybe they'll know what it's like to have a childhood when they have a little spare time to play and take up hobbies. We'll see what we can do." Ashien turned back to Dylandra and Burke then. "Shall we?"
 
"I believe we shall." Dylan said, giving Burke a nudge so that he would start walking.

She held his hand tightly in her own, leading the way out of the room as Ashien followed behind. She glanced down at the young boy as he still seemed on edge about the situation. When they stepped out of the workhouse, Dylan knelt in the snow and looked Burke in the eye, cupping his chin until he looked at her.

"You will never have to come back here, Burke. Do you trust me when I say that?" Dylan asked, trying to assure him that he would never have to step foot on this property again.
 
Burke's eyes flickered between her own, more confused than distrustful. "Why...?" He asked softly. "Why me? Why do you care...?" He knew he'd been incredibly lucky, but he didn't understand why these strangers wanted to go through so much for him beyond just getting him on his feet.
 
"I guess you're just lucky." Dylan said as Burke looked at her so confused. "You didn't realize when you were digging for rotten potatoes that you picked the home of a family that understands what it feels like to be a broken person. We will do whatever we can to help you, Burke, even if that means adopting you as our own to make sure that no one can ever take you away again."
 
"But I'm not nobility," Burke insisted softly.

"That makes you even luckier. You see, I come from Clan royalty where we aren't bound by the same ridiculous rules of separating common folk and nobles. We marry, adopt, and promote, and befriend whoever we like. And we like you." Ashien ushered them back to the wagon as he spoke. "I do wish I could find a similar home for all these boys, and I'm sure there are many deserving of it. But for now, we can try to help them, and see what can be done about their circumstances." He helped them both back up into the wagon before setting the horses on their way into London proper.
 
Dylan wrapped herself in an extra blanket from the wagon as a light snow began to fall. Pulling up outside of a small clothing store, she had Ashien order a new little wardrobe for Burke, outfitting the little boy in practical clothing that would keep him warm at the same time. She wouldn't have him running around in rags or clothing that was far too big for him.

Their next stop was the palace, but by the time that they had arrived, it was obvious that Dylan wasn't feeling well. As Ashien helped her to step down from the wagon, she held his arm a little bit tighter.

"I'm sorry, love. I'm exhausted." She said softly, looking up into his dark gaze as she sought his understanding. "Perhaps I've done too much today."
 
Ashien steadied Dylan carefully, giving her a gentle smile as she explained she wasn't feeling well. "Well, then I'll just have to make John help me pamper you, maybe Henry too if he's not too busy." With that, he scooped her up off her feet and carried her toward the main doors of the palace while the servants took the wagon and horses. "Come on, Burke," Ashien encouraged, glancing at the boy who seemed unsure in a new place without Dylan's side to cling to. "You're about to meet some more people who will absolutely adore you. Isabella will probably spoil you rotten."
 
Dylan leaned her head against Ash's shoulder as he escorted her into the palace, Burke carefully following after the both of them. She couldn't shake the sudden exhaustion that had crept up on her. When Ashien entered the private rooms of the royal family, she suddenly found herself in a warm and cheerful space, decorated with furniture that John had made for his beloved wife.

"John, if you keep this up, you'll put my house to shame." Dylan said to him as Ashien got her settled in a cushioned chair and fussed over her for a moment. "I'm surprised that you still have time to make it with your busy schedule."

She looked over at John as they waited for Isabella to appear. He looked handsome in his rich clothing, the image of a wealthy lord who would one day be the protector of the entire land.
 
John helped Ashien get Dylan settled before he sat down beside her, a servant sent off to fetch refreshments. He'd never quite settled into the true noble lifestyle. He still worked with his hands, and worked hard at that, constantly in his carpentry workshop when he wasn't learning from Henry, training, or at Isabella's side. And he often did most things for himself, confusing the servants whom he usually only called on for help when two hands weren't enough in his work. As such, much of the nobility wasn't sure about him, and John was getting rather popular among craftsmen and common folk as the future king of England.

"That's the idea," John grinned at Dylan's comment. "That way you know what you missed out on," he teased. He still loved to tease about their former relationship, but Dylan was his best friend and he'd long since assured Ashien and Isabella that nothing more was or would ever be between them.

Ashien ushered Burke over as well, letting him settle at Dylan's other side. John looked over with a raised eyebrow. "Well, who's this?" Noting Burke looked rather out of place and certainly didn't look like Ashien, John had no idea if Burke was family or something else entirely.
 
"Well, if I were still with you, we certainly wouldn't be having a child so soon." Dylan said with a grin towards John as his attentions turned towards Burke. "This is Burke. He is the newest resident of Darkwood. He came to us a few weeks back and hasn't left."
 
"I see. So what brings you all here today?" John looked to Ashien, who smiled to Burke as well.

"We're going to adopt Burke. And we're going to see if we can make some changes to how the work houses in England are run."

"Oh, I get it. This little guy's had a hard time, huh?" John offered a smile of sympathy, but Burke was still confused by the strange way John talked. Except in court (usually), John had never lost his futuristic speaking mannerisms. People often regarded him as too blunt, unrefined, even rude for his direct and short approach to conversation compared to the honeyed and flowery conversationalists among the nobles.
 
Back
Top