Rites of Passage Redux (Armphid & Haremfaery)

Tiernan's shield was on his left arm but his sword was still sheathed; he would not dare the gleam of it in a random shaft of sunlight to give them all away. Most of the men, boys really, with him carried clubs or axes instead of swords which had less chance of betraying them as they moved in concerted quiet.

Another bird call, this one shrill and whooping came from nearby. Then there came the sound of rushed movement, snapping twigs and branches, blows, cries, and curses as Brin's skulkers fell upon the O'Banion men lying in wait on this side of the road.

Tiernan and the rest rushed the road, the young noble pulling his gleaming copper blade free. The ambushers on the other side were standing, grabbing up their own arms, swearing at the sudden assault from a thoroughly unanticipated direction.

He came upon the first man in the rude line of skirmishers as the man was leaping to his feet. Tiernan swung his sword in and low, letting the man see it coming in and knock it away with his club; which left his arm out and extended. The dark haired young man punched with his shield arm; a crunch of cartilage and a grunt answering as he slammed the edge of his shield into the other man's face with all his might.

Gods! His blood was roaring through his body and there seemed to be a kind of burning joy blazing in him; tempered with a knot of raw fear in his stomach. He'd fought before, but in training and practice, this was neither and in deadly earnest.

A flicker of motion in the corner of his eye was all his warning; Tiernan flinging himself back as a thrown spear whipped past him. He turned to face the man who'd hurled it; a burly, thick bodied fighter who spat a curse as he picked up his own shield and an ugly headed hatchet before rushing at the nobleman.

He stepped into the rush, planting his feet and angling his shield so that the other man did not meet him squarely but at a tilt. The shock of the impact shook him but he stayed firm, letting the ax wielder skid off to the right from his own momentum. This set up and move was one of his father's best and had been drilled into him. He moved without thought as the man stumbled past him, putting the strength of his core into an upward thrust.

There was a faint shake through his arm as the blade bit deep; warmth suddenly flowed onto Tiernan's hand as the ax man let out a withering shriek that grew strangled and fell off as he toppled onto the beaten dirt path of the road.

Everything was quiet. In some dim corner of his mind, Tiernan was aware of the fight continuing past him; of the other O'Banion ambushers being bludgeoned down or thrown to the ground and surrendering before they could be finished. He knew that Brin was leading his group and their captives out of the trees on the other side of the road; that people were cheering, groaning, and talking.

All he could really see though was the man in the dirt before him as he twitched and breathed shallowly in a growing dark pool. The man who was dying. The man he had killed.

Tiernan looked down at his own bloody sword with wide eyes; as if seeing it for the first time and then back at the body. He closed his eyes and felt...changed. He bowed his head and was still.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The hooves of the O'Banions steeds thundered as they rode hard; their horses panting and some lathering up at the mouth. They group slowed to a mere trot, but their haste had paid off. Ahead in the near distance, the wooden walls of their village could be seen.

"Not long now," Bron chuckled, "And it will be as good as over and won." If the girl warmed to one of us, so much the better. But the chance to ransom her for land and wealth from Magnus or tempt him out to battle and kill enough Soghain men to be able to take their land anyway was the true prize here. His ambitions had long been thwarted by his rich and powerful neighbor but that could all change with the right chance seized. The king laughed louder and looked over at Aine with a sneer, "As spoiled as you are, fire hair, your father will come at us like a fool for your sake. I hope you kissed him good bye this morning!"

He was unaware of it but Aine could see among his own men expressions of uncertainty and displeasure, as well as sympathetic looks at the girl herself. Violating hospitality and the sanctity of Beltaine weighed on some of the men here. More than a few glanced up at the sky as if to reassure themselves that it was clear and bright; and that no clouds of divine wrath were gathering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Cahan approached his cousin who was standing over the body of one of the O'Banions. "Not hit, cousin?" His kinsman's stillness and silence were worrisome; had he taken a blow Cahan hadn't seen?

"Not in the heart but of it," Tiernan answered after a moment. "Though it would have come in time, I curse them for bringing it now." He sighed then, "The matter will rest for now, and be of my own trouble when I visit it again. Let us see to the next part."

He and Cahan walked back to the others and their prisoners. Two of the O'Banions were dead and three others badly hurt. One of Tiernan's friends was injured badly too; but the rest were minor hurts. Coming upon them from the forest had saved lives, and that was some comfort to his mind.

Tiernan looked back along the road with keen eyes, "The king will be here soon. Craig and Daffyd, stay with Fionn and wait for them to tell them of what has passed." That would leave his injured friend with people to guard and keep him alive until he could be taken back home for healing and keep Magnus and own father appraised. "Take the O'Banions' arms, save for their dead, and tie them. We'll bear them along with us."

"And the fallen?" Brin's soft voice was as plain as always but there was a glint in his eye that made Tiernan wonder if his somber cousin had noticed his reverie over the slain man.

Tiernan grimaced and then nodded, "We take them. Tis right to return them to their families; they fought bravely if for a craven cause. It was not their choosing, I deem."

((Whew! That was a long one; sorry about that. I've sent a PM so we can plan out where this part is going a bit more, but I'm enjoying it immensely.))
 
((Once again, your post just knocks my socks off.))
((I did not get a PM from you. It must have gotten lost in the ether.))

Aine spat at the O'Banion chieftain. She did not hit him with her spittle but her intention was clear. "The Morrigan take your bowels for a necklace!" She shouted at him. Playing on the uncertainty of some of the men in their party, she made sure her voice could be heard. "The gods will curse you. And your clan if you do not take me back."

Her anger felt good, like a shield protecting her. She did not dare dwell on the threats that Bron made to her. As if in response to her curses, three crows burst from the nearby trees circling overhead twice before flying off screeching.

~~~~~

"They've taken her." Magnus said to his wife. "Tiernan had already gone after her with his cousins. We follow after. Now, woman, leave me be. They'll all be waiting on me."

He strode out of the great hall and mounted his horse. He hoped Tiernan had not done anything rash.

The group rode off. Magnus would have Bron O'Banion's blood for this.
 
"Crows," one of the men riding near Aine paled. "Three crows, even. The Morrigan's watching."

There were more glances between many of the men who were riding; the uncertainty had been replaced with fear and the displeasure only deepened. Even Ian looked a bit unsure, looking to his father at the head of the group.

Suddenly there was a great rushing roar from the woods on either side and more crows; two dozen at least poured out of the trees and into the sky. Their wings beat the air into a thrumming drone and their piercing caws were louder than thunder. The O'Banions' horses were startled; many rearing up or screaming.

Ian fought his mount, cursing; Aine being pitched about on the animal's back as it tried to break in fear. Trickster though he may be, Ian O'Banion was a tamer of horses, and he brought the gelding back into line. Many had not done so. Horses ran freely down the road at a full gallop; leaving men chasing them futilely or rising slow out of the dirt with hurts from their fall.

Bron O' Banion was one of those picking himself up from the turf and wincing as he did so, "Cursed beast!" His words were sharp and angry but there was an edge of tension to them as well, though not all may have heard it.

"Cursed by you, but cursed we may all be by the gods if we go on, Bron!" One of the men still mounted pointed head of them, "Look!" The crows that had come rushing out and terrified the horses had not gone far. They were visible ahead, perhaps a quarter mile, all perched in the trees closest to the road and all seeming to be glaring down the path at the humans.

Another man shook his head, "We've angered the gods; broken hospitality and done it at Beltaine. We should send the girl back now and make offerings to smooth it over."

Ian glowered at the one who'd just spoken, "Don't be afraid! This is no godly wrath; just bad luck and coincidence." The young noble moved his horse forward to stand by his father, one hand on Aine's right arm in a firm grip. "Think of what we gain by this, men! The wealth and property of her line will be in our clan!"

The first man to speak up scoffed, "In your family, you mean! Precious little we'll see of it! And that's it she weds an' that seems not likely."

Yet another spoke up, "Aye, the lass's been fighting and spitting fire since she came to her senses. This isn't her wish, and that's an offense in the gods' eyes sure as the rest is!"

Bron glared back, "You gutless curs! Once we get her back and she sees the life she'll have, treated like a real queen, she'll change her mind. Don't let this girl and some birds scare you men!"

~~~~~~~~~​

Tiernan patted his horse's neck apologetically before he dug in his heels and urged the beast to greater speed. They were at the disputed ground now; much further and they'd be O'Banion land. If Aine went into their town a captive, it would mean war. But more than that...who knew what they'd do to her, and he would not have it. "Faster," he called back.

Cahan swore but urged his mount, "Be easier without the dead weight," he yelled back.

The O'Banion tied behind Cahan on the horse's rear spat into the road, "You weigh more than I, fair hair; maybe you're the dead weight here."

"Shut your fool mouth before I kick you under the hooves," Cahan snapped.

Tiernan would smiled at the exchange on any other day. As it was, he scarcely noted it. "Epona, grant your children the wind's speed and the fortitude of the hills," he whispered under his breath; a prayer to the goddess of horses for her aid.

They had to reach Aine soon.
 
Aine felt some of her fear lift at the flight of the crows. Regardless of what Bron thought, she saw it as a positive omen.

"You show your true colors, Ian O'Banion. You are no more interested in my wishes than anyone else. I am no more to you than what I bring to your clan." Her eyes flashed at him.

She spoke louder for the rest of the men to hear. "My life in your clan will be no better than a prized cow. It is not too late to send me back and avert disaster. My father will burn your village to the the ground if the gods do not do it first."

Knowing there was dissension in the group also lessened Aine's fear. She now felt confident that those men against Bron's rash act would not allow any harm to come to her.
~~~~~

Magnus led the larger force on the road to the O'Banions. They were well behind Tiernan and his group. Bron had to expect that they would be coming after his daughter.

They rode as fast as they could. Magnus hoped Tiernan would keep his head about him until they reached him. The lad had never been a hot head, not one to let his passions rule him and why Magnus had chosen him to lead the clan when he no longer could. If only Aine would open her eyes and see Tiernan's good qualities.

((Feel free to NPC Magnus and his group if you need/want to.))
 
"And that's the short of it," Craig reported. "Tiernan and the rest went on with the O'Banions we captured and their dead. He plans to offer exchange of their men for Aine, sir, as I see it."

Magnus looked down at the man, the boy really, from horseback. This little ambush would have made a mess of their pursuit; his future son-in-law had a good strategic mind. The exchange...it might work.

But that wouldn't get him Bron O'Banion's blood. It stilled his fears of the young man acting rashly though. "Good work, lads. Two of the men here will take you back, and make sure you get young Fionn to care now!"

He didn't wait to hear their affirmative but started moving on, "On, my kinsmen and my friends! We're closer than the cowards would ever want to think!"

~~~~~~~~~​

Ian reached back with one hand but restrained the blow before it flew, letting his hand drop, "Girl, just because one goes hand in hand with another doesn't make the first a lie. You'll have more choice and freedom with us, but don't think we're too dumb to not want to get our own from helping you."

"Doesn't matter, Ian," yet another man spoke up. "If she don't go along with it, then what? It's forced and there's war, and Gods know what the druids'll make of it!"

"May well be, they'll null the whole thing, even if she does marry one of us," the first man to speak up threw in, "Seeing as how we broke Beltaine's peace."

Bron spat, "The druids don't get involved in clan politics and that's that! You all know it!"

"But it isn't just clan politics now, is it? We've involved them, and the gods!"

"Riders!" The call came from the back of the group of O'Banion men. One of the younger men was pointing back behind them, "Sure they've seen us, my king, and they're coming!"

The men all turned to look, clutching at weapons. They were all thinking the same thing; fight or run? The group approaching was small but they were all mounted; not half of the O'Banions were horsed now and several of those who had kept their steeds had gone off after the fled beasts.

Ian squinted, "Isn't Magnus, it can't be! There's not more than fifteen of them!" He shaded his eyes with one hand, "...Damn, that Tiernan MacGowan's at the front." As the group of riders approached, Tiernan raised up a spear from which a white shirt flapped.

~~~~~~~~~​

"What the hell happened to their horses?" Cahan was leaned up as high as he could be on his own animal, staring at the sight ahead as if he could not believe it. What luck! "If they make a fight, cos, we might just be able to run them down."

"There's still more than three times as many of them as us, Cahan," Tiernan answered. "If they fight, we'll lose mounted or not. Which is why we talk and deal and give the king time to ride."

"If they are willing to talk," Brin said, his voice carrying just far enough for the other two to hear him.

"Either way, we'll know soon." Tiernan could see Aine now; her bright hair was distinctive and they were gaining ground fast on the armed group of men. They weren't fleeing but didn't seem to be gathering up to make a fight either.

This just might work.

He brought his horse to heel perhaps a spear's cast from the O'Banions. "Aine, are you all right?

He locked his gaze with that of the man on the horse with his hand fasted bride to be, "Ian O'Banion, I know this mischief is your doing! Send back Aine now!"

He lowered the spear with the makeshift white flag on it, and behind him his friends and cousins pushed the captured O'Banion men off their horses. "We've the men you left behind to do murder, and they are yours and their families to have back, and your two dead to bury. Take these lives back now, or suffer more lost in war to come."

((You should do the same with Bron, Ian, et al as well. Feel free to NPC and use them, I mean.))
 
"Do not call me 'girl.' I am a woman in full." Aine snapped. "I do not consent to this. The only way you will ever have me is by force. I only pray Brigid give me strength to geld you ere our wedding night." She sneered.

She turned to look back when a man called out, "Riders!"

"Hah!" Aine said triumphantly. She looked at the O'Banion men. "There is still time to send me back without bloodshed."

Tiernan! She had thought her father would be leading the rescue. Tiernan had so few men with him, all his own kin. "I am unharmed, Tiernan. Where is Father?" She called out to him.

"We'll do no trade." Bron said. "The girl made it clear she doesn't want you, Tiernan. My Ian will make her a fine husband. The clans will be joined and no more war between us. That is, unless you want to make something of it now." His hand went to his sword.

"Stop him," Aine hissed to Ian. "Do the honorable thing and stop this now!"
 
"He comes, Aine, not far and our full strength with him," Tiernan answered her. It was good she was unhurt; the relief he felt a bit surprising in his strength. Like so much of the emotions of this day, it would have to be thought on later.

The men with Bron and Ian were stirring; looking nervously at Tiernan's group and straining as if they could see past them to Magnus' advance, and then back at the black crows that hung in the branches near the roadside and seemed to look at them with evil eyes. There were mutterings among the men, and while some followed Bron's lead to ready their weapons, just as many did not. "Soghain's full strength coming, Bron, and not even half of us mounted; they'll cut us to pieces, whether we kill this lot or no," one of the men near the king said.

Ian grimaced at Aine's words but he did not speak yet. This whole plan had seemed so perfect and had gone so wrong. The man who'd spoken was right. Any fight with Tiernan's group would delay them long enough for Magnus to make up ground and still catch them in the open before they'd made their own village. If that happened...

Tiernan took this moment to speak up again, "Bron O'Banion, I've not heard the young woman say anything about your Ian or any man. If that's the meat of the matter, then let's hear her speak." Gods, he hoped he was right about this. If Aine had gone with them willingly...but no, he would not even give that thought more than a few moments honor. "If she says your Ian's her choice, then...we'll see. But if not, then I will make something of her decision unless you release her. And I won't be the last to."

The young noble spoke clear and loud, the crows in the lane ruffling their wings at the sound of his voice as he called out, "Aine, what is your choice?"
 
Aine saw Tiernan in a new light. Confident, bold, fierce. This must be what her father saw in him. He would make a good chieftain for the clan one day, perhaps even a great one.

Aine looked at Bron as she spoke in a near shout to be heard by her clansmen. She thanked Brigid for the anger burning in her. It would ensure she did not dishonor herself by having her voice falter--or worse, succumbing to tears. "The O'Banions took me against my will! I will be your wife, Tiernan, as I vowed before the gods and our clan."

A few crows cawed as if in agreement. The O'Banions who had already voiced their doubts looked at the birds warily.

"You should've held a knife to her ribs to make her choose you." Bron hissed at Ian.

"Are their no depths to which you will not stoop? I pray Ian was some Merry Begot and no fruit of your loins."

Bron would have struck the girl were he close enough. "Hold your tongue, girl. Or I'll fling you dead at your father's feet."

Aine was sure Bron was not so foolish to do such a thing, buty she held her tongue. Bron was angry enough, hr might do something that foolish and not care of the consequences in the heat of the moment.
 
Ian looked at his father with something close to disgust and then his horse moved forward through the ranks of O'Banion men, towards Tiernan's group. Bron blinked, "Boy, what in hell do you think you're doing?"

"Ending it before you get mad enough to kill an unarmed girl and turn the gods fully against us, Father." Ian's face was set and determined. "I was wrong, it seems, but I'll not make the whole clan pay the price for it in war with the Soghain."

"You cowardly-"

"Look, Father!" Ian pointed past Tiernan where a cloud of dust could be seen in the near distance, "That's Magnus or I'm a crow myself. Think we can all make it back to the village before he catches us? Especially if you harm Aine and bring Tiernan's mounted lads, few as they are, on us first?" The younger noble shook his head, "We lost. No raging or anger will change that."

He had moved away from the O'Banion men, save for a few who went warily with him and stopped his horse. "Get down, Aine, and go to your folk then. Think what you will, and I won't deny I wished to prosper from this, but I'd thought it'd be your wish as well."

Tiernan had ridden forward as well; and the spear that held the truce "flag" was now held as if to be thrown, "Once she starts forward, any man of yours who takes as much as a step toward her gets this in the chest. But know that if she reaches me safe, no harm will come to any of you from me."
 
"Ian, you should have spoken to me of you plan--not kidnapped me and expected I would go along with it. That tells me, in your heart, you did not think I would come willingly. Nor have I. Everyone treats me like the winning blot in Morris*." She pushed him and was only sorry she was not strong enough to unseat him.

She threw her leg over the horse. One of the O'Banions on foot steeped forward to hand her down, but her look froze him in place. She slid off the horse, stumbled a little, then righted herself with a semblance of grace.

She wanted to run to Tiernan as fast as she could. Instead, she gathered her pride and walked. Swiftly. But she walked, held held high, like the chieftain's daughter that she was. She would not let the her own clansmen, nor the O'Banions she how badly she had been frightened.

She felt a tension between her shoulder blades. Some fool O'Banion, or Bron himself more like, could still decide war was it if Magnus had no heir, and throw a spear to strike her dead.

It seemed she was walking through treacle to get to Tiernan. The closer she got the more she wanted to run. Her knuckles were white where they held her skirts.

Finally, finally, she reached her clansmen. She made a curtsey to Tiernan, "I thank you for arriving so swiftly." She met his eyes wondering what she would see there.


*Played by princes & peasants for 3,000 years, Morris is simple enough for children, yet the strategies can interest adults. The object is to form "mills"(3-in-a-row). When a you make a mill, you can steal an opponent's piece. You win by reducing the opponent to just 2 men. Early versions were played with 9 pieces, but in the 14th century diagonal lines were added to the board and was played with 12 men.
 
Tiernan's shoulder was tense as Aine walked across the open ground between the O'Banions and his kinsmen. The men behind her were arguing again but he did not listen to their words, only their intent and watched. The first one to even draw a blade would be spitted before he could take a step.

His eyes would shifted to her a few times during that long walk. Her bearing was proud and as noble as ever; her movements swift but also measured. There was tension in her to be sure; as one would expect walking away from a party of armed enemies but the pride and strength she showed in that quick, determined walk were startling. Impressive. He found himself surprised a bit, though he should not have been as he thought on it.

As she came up to them, Cahan and a few of the other lads pulled their horses up behind her to screen her from the O'Banions' view or weapons, if they decided on foolishness.

Tiernan let the spear fall to his side and then stuck the end in the dirt. He looked down on her and smiled, relieved beyond belief. Though this was not over; far from it, most likely, the immediate danger was passed. He looked into a questioning gaze with that relief, concern, and a surprised respect in his bright eyes. "I regret I wasn't here sooner, Aine, but I am very happy to see you safe."

Gods, he really was. But why? Was it that the threat was averted? That his betrothed and thus his future was safe? Or was it because she was safe? Normally he'd think it was the first and second, but the fear he'd felt at her taking was not for himself. What did that mean? So much had happened in this day, and so much to think about.

Tiernan swung down from his horse and knowing it might earn him a scolding or a slap, he embraced her. It was an action that surprised them both, it seemed, and he did not hold it long but those moments felt...very good. "Glad I am to have you among your clansmen again and more so that you are unhurt. Will you ride with me? Or one of the others if you wish, but we should turn soon before they do something more foolish. You father will be here before much time has passed, but a sooner meeting will be a merrier one. As mine has been."
 
It was all Aine could do to keep from collapsing in tears now that she was within the circle of horses of her clansman. But she was her father's daughter. She could not let them see how frightened the O'Banions had made her.

When Tiernan took her in his arms, she struggled again with her tears. Suddenly she thought of Beltaine and the Vessel of the God. Tiernan did not seem quite so tall, nor as broad as her memory. Surely, she would know if she were in the arms of the one who had taken her maiden treasure.

The embrace did not last long. So...it was mere show then. She had thought there was something of respect in Tiernan's eyes, and relief. His position was safe once more. She was almost inclined to ride with Cahan or one of the others, if only to try and take their measure against her memory. She worried at the need to know who had been her swain that night as one worried a sore tooth. But it would not do just now.

"I will ride with you, Tiernan. It is only fit that I do so."
 
"Fit? Aine, ride with me if you want to. You've had enough of men telling you to do what is fit for a life, I deem." There was that tightness to her around him again. It was something he perhaps should have expected and yet it was a surprise. It also...stung. That too was unanticipated.

He pulled himself onto his horse, shifting back a little to give her space to mount up as well and offered her his hand.

Once Aine had mounted, the little group of horsemen wheeled into two arcing lines or riders that peeled back and away from the O'Banions before returning to the road. Away they thundered, riding hard to get distance now in case any of their enemies had second thoughts while their backs were turned.

Tiernan glanced back at them as they rode. Bron was shouting and yelling, other men arguing with him, and Ian seemed to be trying to marshal order and get them moving again. And well he should. Tiernan doubted Magnus would let this insult slide merely with Aine's return. There would have to be a reckoning for it.
 
Aine could have hugged Tiernan for what he said. But she needed to hold her emotions tight in check. If she let one out, the fear would spill loose and she would not be seen crying.

She took Tiernan's hand, Cahan dismounted and laced his fingers together so she could use them as a step up. She sat sideways on the saddle and put one arm around Tiernan's waist and the other around his neck. He rode fast so there was naught for her to do but press her body to him. His arms were around her holding the reins.

They could not talk at this pace and she was glad for it. She expected Tiernan to berate her for leading Ian on. He had warned her more than once that the O'Banions were not to be trusted and she threw it in her face.

She wondered why it was harsh words from Tiernan that had her worried and not what her father would say. But she was safe now. She pressed her cheek against Tiernan's chest and breathed in the scent of him mingled with leather and horses. A few tears trickled down her face. From dust getting into her eyes at the speed they were racing back to the village. That was why. She wasn't crying. She wasn't.

----

It was not long before the met up with Magnus and the main force. He brought his horse alongside Tiernan's and leaned over to kiss his daughter. "Aine, how is it with you, girl?"

"I am unhurt, father. The O'Banions did naught but make threats." She said. She wiped at her eyes with the back of her hand. "Had we reached their village...I know not. It is difficult to tell Bron's bluster from fact."

He silently took note of the riders in Tiernan's group and was relieved to see all present and mostly unharmed. "So they put up a fight, did they? Dishonourable sons of dogs!" He spat.
 
Now that they were stopped, one of Tiernan's arms slipped about Aine's back to rest on at her waist. To keep her steady on the horse, of course. He smiled as the chief greeted his daughter and felt a swell of pride at the man's comments. "Not the men with Bron, but those he'd laid in wait on the trail did we fight with."

He sighed, "Two of them fell, but I returned the dead and the rest we took." A possible mistake, the hostages could have been useful. But such a measure was distasteful to him. Tiernan turned and pointed, "Bron and his kin flee to their village now, but the greater part of their number is now unhorsed. How I know not."

Magnus' grin became wolfish. "There's a great tale in this, I think, but one for later telling. I must catch him and speak to Bron about his courtesy." Magnus did not want a war but this insult could not go unavenged. That would only provoke the other clans into thinking Soghain could be trifled with. He would challenge Bron himself; a duel. He looked over Tiernan's cousins. "Your unhurt lads will go with me. Will you take my daughter home?"

Tiernan's arm tightened about Aine's waist and he nodded, "Though the gods barred the way."

Magnus caught the way the young noble held her and his smile changed, but also grew. "Good then. See her to her mother. We shall not have any great fray, so tell the rest not to fret. We'll return once matters are balanced."
 
Aine barely felt Tiernan's protecting arm about her, she was so worried for her father's safety. She knew it was Magnus who had to seek recumpence from Bron, whether it be in cattle and slaves, or on the field of battle.

Neither Bron nor her father were the men they once were and she prayed that cool heads would prevail. She doubted it. Bron had been in a lather the entire way and having his plan thwarted by Tiernan did not sit well. She feared for her father. But surely the crows were a sign that Bron's actions had made him cursed.

She would have protested that she could ride with another and Tiernan could ride against the O'Banions with the rest, but her father was already wheeling about. Besides it was not her place to argue with her father in front of the clan. Her tongue had already gotten her into enough trouble.

"Brigid shield you!" She called after her father. But it was The Morrigan, Mother of Crows, to whom she silently prayed for her father's safety.

Tiernan turned for home. They rode swiftly, but not at the breakneck speed of before.
 
The speed was enough that he only needed one hand for the reins and was glad of it; the other felt very good about Aine's waist. Were he another man, he would have told himself that it was merely to keep her steady on the horse or some other lie. But Tiernan tried to lie to himself as little as possible, the less the temptation to do so to others. He wanted to hold her.

Gods, what did that mean? He couldn't stand her a few weeks ago, nor she him, but now she was in his arms on his steed and he wanted her there. Was it merely that being close to her as he had been since the hand fasting had opened his heart to her beauty? Or was it more? And what was this for her part? Mere obedience to her father or did she want to ride with him?

The small band soon passed the ambush spot and without thinking, Tiernan slowed his mount to a light trot. His eyes moved immediately to the dark spot on the road. That was where the man he killed had fallen. Who was he? He would have to find if any of the folk recalled his name from Beltine. Had he been a wicked man like Bron? Or merely obeying oaths and loyalty to his clan? Had he felt behind a grieving wife or children? Would his sons grow up to hunt Tiernan for vengeance?

Questions. So many questions came from this one day. He had hoped the end of Beltine would bring an end to questions for a time. That it would give him some certainty and surety of the future ahead. No longer.

His arm tightened about Aine's waist unconsciously, as if to half embrace her as he stared at the bloody spot on the road. His eyes stayed on it, his head turning to keep them there, until they rode past it and he could not see it any longer.

He sighed and them moved the horse back to a canter. "Not far from home now, Aine," he said after a few more silent moments. He did not speak loudly, yet she was close enough that she should be able to hear his words over the sounds of riding. "And not too soon, I deem. Since your leaving the clan, not two hours have passed yet I am sure it feels to you, and to I, as though it were a year and a day."
 
Aine wondered at first why Tiernan slowed his horse, but there was no mistaking the bloodstained ground. How many of the O'Banions had been killed? She knew there were wounded on both sides. She wondered if Tiernan had killed one of them himself. They way he looked at the red ground seemed to say so.

She did not know what it was like to kill a man, but she had wanted Bron's death when he threatened her with unspeakable things. Given the chance, she would have killed him and been happy about it.

But all of this was her fault. Had she not spoken her mind to Ian, would the O'Banions had ever undertaken such rash measures? Yet they drugged her. She could never marry Ian after he did such a thing. Would she have gone with him willingly if he had told her of this plan? Even if she had strong feelings for Ian, which she did not, she would never have done such a thing. To go against her father...no. She could not do that. She would not dishonour herself or her family that way.

All this proved was that she was still a pawn. If she were any other girl of the clan, her life would have been very different and she would probably already be wed to some lad whom she had loved since their first tumble.

Despite herself, she relaxed against Tiernan. Only two hours? It seemed like a lifetime. She looked up at him as they rode. "Your timely rescue is greatly appreciated. I cannot give you enough thanks. Bron threatened many things, and in his anger and arrogance, I thought he would act on them." She would not voice how she had been frightened to her core at the thought of all the O'Banion men taking her one by one. Ian would not have allowed that, would he? He wanted her for himself. But it made her shudder nonetheless.

"I am sure my father will reward you handsomely for what you have done today. I prayed that Brigid would protect me and The Morrigan would curse the O'Banions. Some were already not happy with Bron's strategy. Then a murder of crows attacked. The horses reared and knocked off many of their riders and scattered. That is why you found them all in such turmoil."
 
Her tale was one of wonder. She had exhorted the Gods, and to his sense, they had answered. A murder or crows to unhorse the men, sent by the Morrigan herself. He could remember seeing them now; sitting in the trees by the roadside ahead of the O'Banion men and leering down at them evilly.

"You prayed and the gods answered, a marvelous thing, Aine." Tiernan shook his head slowly, "Your spirit is strong and great, this I knew before, but to abjure the gods themselves and receive their aid...you impress me greatly. Surely your prayers and wits have done more to save you than I."

He said it and meant it, not in any way to belittle what he had done, but the fact was that without her answered prayer, he would not have been able to catch Bron's men or bargain with them if he had.

He was silent for a few more moments and then said softly, "It is strange. Had we not become hand fasted, I never would have come to know you as I have now; we would have avoided one another as always we did. But as I have, I feel as though I would be glad to wed you were you no chieftain's daughter or the least scullery maid."

The village was in sight now and already people were calling out to them. Tiernan and the few remaining with him urged their horses on, Tiernan calling out in answer to the sentries, "Aine Nic Magnus returns to us, her safety provided by her calls to the gods and their answer. I bear her back at her father's command, he himself gone on to punish her abductor!"

There were a few cheers from the men left on the pallisade walls. Tiernan and the others rode in through the opening gate and made straight for Magnus' house. Aine's mother must be beside herself.
 
Aine blinked. She had not thought of it that way. True, she called on the gods, but only to make the O'Banions pause and doubt what they were doing.

The Morrigan! That fearsome one. That Goddess was the protector of sovereignty and therefore the being to call for aid.

Of course Aine called to her. If only because she was so fearsome. Aine wanted the O'Banion to be afraid for the consequences of what they had done. But she did not think it was any prayer of her own that caused the Goddess to send her crows.

"I do not think I had anything to do with it. What Bron sought to do was against so many laws of man and the gods. I think The Morrigan would have sent them if I had pleaded with her or no." She shuddered to think that like the heros of old she might call down a Goddess so easily.

"The O'Banions offended the Morrigan, and she showed her disapproval." But she would speak to Kynthelig. Could being the vessel of the Goddess have brought her closer to the gods? At least for this little while?

"I was frightened by Bron's threats. Perhaps the Morrigan knew my desperation. I must give her proper thanks when we are home again." Her heart was pounding again thinking of Bron's threats. But what Tiernan said next gave her pause.

"It is strange. Had we not become hand fasted, I never would have come to know you as I have now; we would have avoided one another as always we did. But as I have, I feel as though I would be glad to wed you were you no chieftain's daughter or the least scullery maid."

Aine thought that was one of the most sincere compliments she had ever received. She felt her cheeks flush and her heart pounded for a different reason. Perhaps life with Tiernan would not be so bad after all. She gave his forearm a squeeze.

She smiled at the cheers as they entered the village. Her mother was already coming from the great house. Some runner must have given word that Aine was returned.

Tiernan handed his reins to one of the servants and dismounted. He lifted Aine from the saddle. She did not stop to think about the feel of his hands around her waist, but ran to her mother.

"You are safe! You are safe!" Her mother held her tightly and stroked her hair.

"Tiernan found me in time, Mother. I am unharmed. Father bade him bring me home while he went on with the men to exact his vengeance."

She looked up at her mother wanting to tell her everything and forgetting how many others had gathered to see the clan's future returned to them. "Ian gave me a sleeping potion and thought I would chose him for my husband after he stole me away. I told him I could never consider such a thing. How could I marry a man who would be so dishonourable? Bron said he would have every man in his clan take me and I could choose from them." She could no longer hold back her tears. She had been playing the part of warrior woman for too long. She sobbed against her mother.

"Hush. Hush. You are safe now. Tiernan is here and you have no more to fear from the O'Banions. Your father will see to that." Her mother soothed. "Come inside. You as well, Tiernan. I want to hear everything."

She helped Aine inside and called for strong mead. And food for Tiernan.
 
There was rumbling and muttering from those assembled as they overheard what Aine had spoken of her ordeal. Tiernan grimaced at that; their people were emotional and boisterous. Such an outrage could lead to trouble.

He inclined his head to Aine's mother at her order for him to come in as well, "I shall, give me but a few moments of your leave." He watched her take Aine inside and then turned his gaze to those nearby. "Friends and my clansmen, what was happened and what you have heard is a crime against us all, tis true. But know that your king is seeing it put right as we speak, and Aine is come back to us whole and well."

The young lord shook his head, "Our clan is known for both might and dealing justly. Retribution for this act is already upon our neighbors. Let us stay just, as they are wicked, and commit no further acts of vengeance until Magnus is back among us and his rule or leave is given."

"Keep what was heard here in your hearts and spread it not," his voice had changed slightly. There was less of asking and more of a command in his soft, firm tone. "Aine has suffered enough without word of the shames she was threatened with being bandied about in our own homes and streets. I do not say do not forget, but keep them in your own minds not to rage over, but to give thanks to the gods at this Beltine for seeing our clan to safety and prosperity even against the most surprising of betrayals."

He nodded then to the small gathered crowd and went into the magnificent house of Aine's family. He found Aine and her mother at the high table in the grand dining room that the handfasting feast had been held in. A small plate of food was set for Aine, a larger one for him, and drink for them both. Tiernan noted the wisdom of Aine's mother in urging her to eat, all the better to rid her body of the draught Ian used to snare her.

He sat beside Aine, reaching out and giving one of her hands a squeeze as he did so. In truth, he wanted to hold her hand, or all of her, to him still. But she would need them to eat and it may not be seemly in front of her mother.

The older woman looked up and smiled at him briefly before her gaze returned to her precious and most beloved child. "Surely you'll tire of telling the tale ere long, my sweet fire," she said to Aine, "but if you can manage another telling now, please. I was so afraid, so worried...it would do my heart well to know what happened to you, so I might know how best to pray the gods smite the O'Banions."
 
Aine did not pull her hand away from Tiernan. He had saved her after all and he was to be her husband. The men followed him and listened ot his as they did to her father. He had faced the O'Banions and sent them on their way. He ws a hero to the clan.

She took a sip of the mead her mother had set before her.

"Kynthelig should be sent for. I must tell him about the crows."

"He will be here anon. But tell me from the beginning."

"Ian put something in my drink this morning when we broke our fast. I walked him to his horse and felt ill. I asked him to bring me back, I think." She shook her head trying to remember. "I woke up on Ian's horse and they were taking me back to the O'Banion's lands."

"I fought Ian, and cursed the O'Banions and pleaded that they should let me go. Bron said that I could wed Ian. And If I liked him not, then I could choose any of the O'Banions to marry. I told them they had defiled Beltaine and broken the bond of hospitality." Color came into Aine's face as she remembered her anger and Bron's threats.

"Bron made threats...he said if I did not comply that he would have every man in the clan take me until I made a choice.' she spoke to her mother, she could not look at Tiernan. "I cursed them all again. I prayed to the Morrigan to rain fire on them. To bring her vengance on them."

Kynthelig was ushered to the table and mead set before him.

"Aine, it is good to have you safe with the clan."

She nodded. "I was just getting to the crows." She still wanted to speak to him alone, to ask if being the vessel fo the goddess somehow affected the crows. She took another drink.

As I said, "I prayed to the Morrigan asking for vengeance. And...as we rode, we came upon crows, I do not know how many. They were in the trees and just...watching. Then. They attacked. They frightened the horses and flew about pecking at the men. Many horses threw their riders." She looked at the druid who just sat there placidly listening.

"It was as if the crows knew what they were doing. They attacked the O'Banions deliberately." She turned to Tiernan, "You saw the men. It was not my imagination. I think the Morrigan sent the crows to aid me."
 
Much of what Aine said as she recounted her tale was already known or guessed by Tiernan but that did not rob it of its' power to bring that restless, cold fury into his heart again. He had been too lenient with the O'Banion men by half. He should have drug his prisoners behind his horses. He should have done something to make them rue the day they had dared lay hands on Aine and insulted the clan and the Gods.

Once he was sure Aine would be well, he would ride out again and meet up with Magnus. He would have any part of the clan's vengeance for this crime.

His hands clenched under the table and his face darkened. Aine's mother took no notice, of course, the whole of her senses directed to her daughter. Some food had been set before Aine as well and her mother sat beside her, an arm on her fiery haired girl's slender shoulder. Kynthelig's eyes fell on Tiernan however and there were speculative and worried.

But they were only there for a moment, so little that Tiernan thought he had perhaps imagined it. The druid listened carefully to Aine, one hand slowlyy stroking his beard. As Aine asked her question of her betrothed, he too looked to the young man, "You saw this, Tiernan?"

"Aye," he answered. The dark haired youth shook his head, "It was a wonder, more crows that I have ever seen in one place, all in the trees along the road around the O'Banions and past them, towards their village." He shivered a bit; the unnaturalness of it striking him now that he could think on the memory and not be focused on watching the enemy for signs of attack. "They did not call or mock, they all simply sat and watched. Not us, either, I deem, their eyes were for Clan O'Banion."

Kynthelig took a long, deep breath and raised his eyes to the heavy beamed ceiling of the room. "Such a thing is strange, too strange for coincidence or the ways of nature." He nodded, "I will confer with my fellows but I think you've the right of it, Aine." The druid's eyes were steady as they rested on the girl; keen and piercing. "The Morrigan heard your call and answered it. She took a hand in your salvation herself."

There was a long quiet at the table. After a moment, Aine's mother spoke in a quiet voice, "What does it mean?"

The old man pursed his lips for a moment, "Divining the meaning of the gods' actions is a uncertain matter at best. But I think it this; either the gods were offended by the desecration of Beltaine or...or Aine has a task yet to do in her left here, with our clan, that the gods wish to see done. So much so that they would lend her their ear and power to see that she stays among us."

Tiernan nodded slowly, "Something she will do must be done." He flushed ever so slightly, "Might it be, ah, our marriage?"

"Difficult to say, but it may be so," Kynthelig said. "I would take no firm meaning from this yet. I must speak to my brothers and we must peer into worlds beyond your imagining in the search for answers. The direct intervention of a goddess is not unknown but it is rare and it portends great deeds and events, good or ill, are not long in the coming."

The druid stood, "This must be seen to now, ere the signs grow dim. I go, but I say to you all this; rejoice. For though you may wonder at the future the gods have in store, the present is matter for celebration. Fret not over what may be, but enjoy what is." He inclined his head to Aine's mother, to Tiernan, and then actually bowed to Aine herself. "I will come to you when more is known." And with that, he took his leave.
 
Aine shivered. It was not a good thing to have the eyes of the gods upon you. Even if they helped you from time to time.

"A task? What could the gods want of me?" She frowned at Tiernan trying to draw their marriage into this. But could it be true? Why was her marriage so important to the gods? Was it the child Tiernan and she would have? Then why did they make her the Goddess's vessel and show her such incredible bliss? Her hands went to her stomach. Could she already be with child? A merry-begot? A very special merry-begot, one born of the union of the human vessels of the gods.

Perhaps that was why she was saved. She would be dancing on pins and needles until Kynthelig returned with the opinions of the other druids.

She took a long drink of the mead.

Her mother now seemed more relaxed. The idea of The Morrigan herself keeping watch over her only child made Aine's kidnapping much less frightening to her.

"We await your return." Muireen said to the druid.

Kynthelig took his leave.

"Tiernan, I owe you many thanks." Muireen looked at the young warrior. "We both do." She stroked her daughter's hair. "There's things for me to see to in the kitchen's." Not that she wanted to leave her daughter's side, but she expected Tiernan would be off with more men to follow Magnus and thought the two should have a bit of time together before he left.

~~~~​

Kynthelig left the great house and sent some children to run and gather the rest of the druids.

He went to the grove of rowans to await them. He pondered what he had learned from Aine. He did think the girl had a destiny on her. That her pride and fierceness had kept all the village lads at bay for her to come to her first Beltaine still a virgin was something in and of itself. But the protection of the crows were something else entirely.

When the others arrived, he told them what had happened. There was much murmuring during his tale and much discussion afterward as to what it might mean.

"Surely, the gods mean to say that the Soghain are blessed and protected, and Aine above all else. The girl has a destiny on her."

Some cast runes, some looked for signs in the sticks and stones in the grove, others used other methods to scry the minds of the gods.
 
Last edited:
Tiernan was not sure if he was less or more uneasy at the prospect of the gods taking an interest in Aine. Those they touched directly in such ways ended up in stories and songs, but few had happy endings.

With Muireen's withdrawl, the two young people were left alone for the first time in days. For a minute or so, neither spoke.

Then he reached over to take Aine's hand and give it a squeeze, "Always you held yourself as though the gods favored you, and now your manner is some wise proven." His tone was light and teasing but he held up his free hand, "Think me not mocking you or making light of these omens. It sits not well with me, this matter of the divine, and so I jest to lessen it in my mind."

"For enough troubles seem to come on us without it." The matter with the O'Banion clan would be immediately settled but there would be tensions and likely fighting between them and Soghain now. The raiding times were also coming, and he would be a part of their raids. The house yet needed built and his bride to be still did not seem to care very much for him.

Quite enough without the gods putting their beaks in.

He rose and walked around the table to stand next to her before kneeling by her chair so their faces were level with one another, "I should tarry not long here, gathering those men who are only now responding to the summons and heading after your father to provide more strong arms if the worst has come. Yet I will stay with you if that is your wish. In truth, my heart would tell me to stay, to sweep you into my arms and embrace you as I wished on first seeing you in their foul hands. I thought then to preserve your dignity, though I wished to crush you to me with the arms of a friend and lover, rather than law ordained bride and groom unwilling."

He paused and then went on, "But whatever your wish, this I will hold off on not a moment more." To the surprise of likely both of them, Tiernan leaned forward and kissed her. His lips spoke for him as his words did; of his worry and fret, of his anger, of his shocked relief at her return, of pleasure in her presence and in these moments.

Their lips parted with a soft, brief sound and he smiled. "Were whiskey not so named, your kisses would earn the title." He stood again then, "Will you have me abide a time then? The choice must be made anon, for the hours sadly will not wait."
 
Back
Top