The Bride Absconded (Closed for Rick345)

Opensesame54321

Lost in Limbo
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Posts
4,754
Opinionated. Difficult to be with. Too smart for her own good.

Clarissa Fay Fernwood had heard it all. Heavens, she herself knew it to be true. Even as a child she had caused her father trouble. It was not that she wanted to be difficult. It was just that she knew herself to be right. And she knew what she wanted.

Now at 5'6", she had a slender but feminine build. Her hair, blonde and long enough to hit the middle of her back, hung in graceful waves when worn loose. Blue eyes were set in a face blessed with freckles. Even though she was missing that peaches and cream complexion desired by many young English ladies, she still managed to obtain her fair share of young men interested in her. Some even desired matrimony.

Yet, over and over, as her father had brought a possible suitor or a future husband before her, she would send the young man off with a flea in his ear. Time and time again, the sharp edge of her tongue would quickly cool any ardor the young man might have felt.

"Daughters are meant to marry, to leave their parents and provide their husband with heirs. Why do you not understand that?"

"I understand it, Father. I just refuse to accept it. I need not a man nor a husband to justify my existence. I am perfectly happy with life the way it is. I have my interests. So, leave me be, Father, for I plan on never marrying."

"Daughter, there will come the day when you will have no choice."

And so the argument would go, back and forth while yet another young man would leave, looking for a young lady less likely to give him a hard time.

Not long after her 21st birthday, there came a day came when she was no longer given the option of saying yea or nay. Father called her in and introduced her to Richard White, Duke of Orange. She watched warily as the man greeted her, a person comfortable in his own skin. A Duke, no less. She would get rid of him fast enough.

"We have an agreement, Daughter. A fortnight from now you will be married."

"No!" She was adamant.

"There is no discussion, Clarissa. The deal has been made. You have prolonged things long enough."

"And I no longer any choice in the matter?"

"You lost that when you became unreasonable!" Father and daughter fought as if the future bridegroom were not even in the room.

Clarissa glanced at him briefly. He looked fine, but she was not in the market for a husband. Granted, he was seated and as such, she could not be sure of his height, but he appeared about as tall as her father. That would put him around six foot. He had jet black hair, and blue eyes. If she had been in the market for a husband, he would have worked just as well as anyone else. She could tell by the raised eyebrow that he was not impressed with her reaction.

And so the wedding went ahead as scheduled. The bride was sullen and quiet, and only her maid knew of her plans. An alternate bag had been packed, and once the vows said, Clarissa went upstairs with the pretense of changing into her going away clothes. Going away was right. Patsy was to delay the discovery of her flight while Clarissa had taken her favorite horse and absconded. The young lady had anticipated that it might come to this, and therefore had been setting aside money. Enough to purchase a berth on The Mary Louise, a ship setting sail for the Americas.

Dressed up as a man using the clothes that previously belonged to one of the stable lads. With her long blonde hair tied up inside her hat, and just enough dirt smeared on her face to disguise her freckles in case anyone were to trail her, she headed in the opposite direction from where she intended to head before cutting back towards where The Mary Louise was berthed. And once he didn't catch her, that Duke would give up and have the whole thing annulled, and they would both be free
 
Richard stroked his beard as he sat at the wedding table less than an hour ago he and his bride had said their vows and it was time to begin the reception. His mother leaned toward him her hand discretely covering her mouth so prying ears would not uncover the words which leap from her venomous tongue, “So where is that little tart, probably off frolicking with one of the stable boys.”, the elderly hag of a woman scoffed.

Richard steel-blue eyes glared at his mother, “Mother hold your tongue we have guests”

He glanced over just in time to stop one of the servants about to pour his mother another pint of mead, the servant a young maid who had no idea of Madam White’s “problem” as it was discretely whispered by some. The poor young woman was modified, she stood frozen caught between Richard’s wagged his finger and Richard’s mother’s thin lips saying a single word, “More.”

Richard glare at the fidgeting teenager as he shook his head left no doubt his mother was to have no more spirits. She backed away and returned to the kitchen her head hanging low.

“Richard at least go see what’s keeping your bride.”, his mother hissed.

Richard slowly rose from the table and excused himself, “Ladies and gentlemen enjoy the fest I shall return shortly it seems my blushing bride is taking a little longer than expected to become presentable”, as he walked to the cambers were he had last seen Clarissa and her lady in waiting.

Just as he turn the corner luck seemed to be with him, “Patsy, Patsy, hold your step, have you seen Clarissa?”, his voice aggregated as he looked down on the paleface girl who was never without a bonnet.

“Cla-rissa?”, the young women stuttered.

“Yes, Patsy Clarissa where is she, the wedding party is about to begin don’t try my patience”, as he grasped her shoulder.

“I I I cannot say my Lord”, Patsy’s eyes left his gaze and stared at the floor and she rang her hands in the course sackcloth of her homemade dress.

“Perhaps you’d prefer to discuss Clarissa whereabouts with my mother? She’s already three sheets to the wind and you’ve been around long enough to know she’s a mean drunk.”, Richard was far more worried about the sharpness of his mother’s tongue and whatever, she’d do to Patsy.

“Oh sir I’ll deny it with my dying breath I will but, she has disguised herself as a boy and has gone to the docks to board a ship to the Americas, the Mary Lou or Mary Lynn or maybe it was the Mary Louise..”

“OK Patsy I’ll do what I can to protest from mother’s wrath if she ever discovers your part in Clarissa’s disappearance.”, he bluffed.

Luckily it would be midmorning before the tide would be high enough before ships to heave anchor navigate the channel out past the shores and host sail for the open seas. He had eight hours to retrieve his bride and save face.
 
The night was calm and dark as she leaned over the horse's neck. The wind ripped across her face. For the moment, she felt free. She may, for the time, have the last name of White, but should she be stopped, she was Pete Thomas. And Pete was on his way to America to be reunited with his mother. She whispered into Thunder's ear, urging him on.

More than likely, the Duke would consider himself lucky to have her off his hands. Once he thought about it, he would probably prefer some milk faced lass that would love to bear him many children.

Besides she had seen his mother. The woman was a viper. She could see that no matter what she did, the woman would not be happy. She was too tall, too many freckles, too curvy, too thin, too fat, too everything.

She pulled up beside the stream. Thunder would need a drink, as did she. Running was thirsty work and the water was cool in the night. She stood beside her horse, stroking his neck and talking softly to him. She was going to hate to leave him, but she would send word where he could be found.

Hopping back in the saddle, she headed Thunder towards freedom.
 
Last edited:
Why had she abandoned him and the warmth of the hearth for the cold cruel pitiless world. He had to bring her back there was no other option, he was a man and not a worm like his mother constantly berated him. If he didn't bring her back he’d never hear the end of it.

He grabbed a cloak form him bedchamber wrapped the scarlet cloth about his shoulders and ran to the kennels unleashing two of his best hounds, Russian wolfhounds who never rested until they downed their quarry. He just needed something to put them on the scent, what did he have, what did he have of hers. His mind was such a scrambles he couldn't think.

“Come Boris and Natasha”, he beckoned to the sleek black dogs, hoping he’d come across some article of clothing left by Clarissa. There was so little time she may already be miles away and there were many roads to the waterfront.

Stumbling into the stables he noticed one of the horses was missing, not only was she a runaway bride but a horse-thief as well. Maybe his mother was right, he sure knew how to pick'm, even though he had very little say-so in the matter. With a glance around it seems she had left in hast taking neither saddle or halter, she was riding bareback that gave him hope. He quickly threw a blanket across the ghost white stallions back, and laid a saddle atop the and fixed a halter and bit to the animal. He had won many a race astride the back of Caspar. He reached into his pocket out of habit, whenever he raced Caspar, Richard had a habit of rubbing his lucky rabbits foot.

A smile curled his lips as his fingers trance the band of silk, as he pulled it out, the shinny blue garter waved in the breeze. He swiftly mounted his steed and yelled, “Natasha, Boris heel”…

Giving the dogs a good whiff of the garter, “Fetch...”, with a single word the dogs were off in a flash their howls breaking the still night air… He kicked his heels into the flanks of Caspar the horse nostrils flared and with a snort they were off like the wind, he did enjoy the hunt.
 
Up ahead she could see a small village, patches of light and dark. She really didn't want anyone seeing her until she reached her destination. The less eyes on her, the better.

She nudged Thunder off the main road, crossing the field so that she could work her way around the pool of civilization. She pulled up under a tree, hiding in the shadows as she dismounted to give Thunder a breather. The horse snorted and nuzzled her, as if knowing what she had planned and didn't want her leaving. She pet him, giving him words of encouragement before walking him over to the pond.

The night was filled with the sound of various animals, the dark their natural habitat. A sound of scurrying, a sleepy owl, she listened breathing in the night air. Soon she would be on a new continent, with new sounds and new sights.

She softly called Thunder and the horse's ears flickered as he nuzzled her again. She gave him a hug before once again climbing back up on him. She nudged him and once again they took off. As she glanced back at the receding village, a feeling clenched in her stomach. She saw nothing, heard nothing. But the feeling was there just the same.

She leaned into Thunder's neck, becoming one with the horse, whispering one word in the horse's ear.

"Freedom!"
 
He rode at such a hasty pace his cloak flapped behind him while the noses of his hounds pointing straight forward ceased to howl they were hot on the scent and closing in on their pray. Suddenly the hounds turned direction and within moments Richard was close on their heels. Just as suddenly the noble beasts stopped in their tracks and began stiffing the ground at the edge of a pond.

Swiftly Richard dismounted and as luck would have it the clouds began to drift apart and a full moon shone from the heavens. A hunters moon instantly Richard’s keen eye spotted fresh horse tracks and the clouding of the water near the edge of the pond, someone less than a quarter of an hour hence had rested and watered their horse.

He bent down on one knee and on closer inspection of the boot prints left in the mud instinct told him whoever left them was either a boy or young woman weighing no more than eight stone. Before looking up the dogs were already on point eagerly making a straight line from tip to tail their left paws off the ground. The animals looked back at Richard as if begging to continue the chase. One glance at the hounds and he knew it was her it was Clarissa it had to be, Boris and Natasha were never mistaken.

It was said the noble beasts were personally trained by the Czarina herself and trained to go silent when nearing their quarry. Richard remounted and with a mere wave of his hand the dogs launched into pursuit. As the lights of the nearby village disappeared in the distance and a cloud of dust, Richard admired the skill of hounds rumored to be trained by Catherine the Great herself.

He wondered how much longer the chase would continue as he formulated a plan to recapture and subdue Clarissa when he finally gained ground on her. He wished their was another way, he admired her horsemanship and her willingness to risk everything for her desires whatever they maybe. But there could only be one end to this regardless of whatever he and Clarissa personally desired. The strength and status of the family comes before any personal desires, it was written in the stars and neither man nor beast could change that no matter how much he wished it to be so.

"After all Freedom is merely privilege extended...", Voltaire's words echoed in his head as his rump bounced in the saddle.
 
Clarissa wished she could ignore the feeling of dread growing within her. But each time she looked back, she saw naught but her own dust, kicked up by Thunder's heels that beat a rapid tempo on the dusty road. Ahead in the distance lay the harbor lights and her gateway to a new world.

She urged the horse onwards, his black coat gleaming in the moonlight. She loved this horse, having raised it and cared for it. It hurt her to leave it behind more than her own family.

On the edge of town, she slowed Thunder gradually until the horse was at a mild trot, though still breathing heavy. It would not be good to arrive at a full gallop but rather blend in with the traffic already on the streets this time of night. So much easier to be another person about this fine evening. At the first trough, she jumped off and let Thunder drink. A man stood nearby watching her and for a moment she had forgotten that she was disguised as a young lad.

"Fine piece of horseflesh, lad. But I doubt that he is yours."

"Aye, sir, he belongs to my master. He sails on the Mary Louise and was not able to bring him till now. I ride so that he may get him boarded."

She quickly climb back up on Thunder's back and headed towards the docks. She fought hard not to look back, as that would give the man cause to doubt her story, but she kept her ears tuned to the sounds around her.

Up ahead were the docks and she could make out the masts of ships bobbing and swaying with the waves. She read the name of each ship as she passed it. The Valiant. The Unity. The Mary Louise. She continued on.

As a last effort at subterfuge, she had given the name of the wrong ship to Patsy. She knew that the woman had limited reserves when it came to persuasion so she had found another ship also setting sail for America.

The Sea Spray. She sat for a moment, her eyes looking over the ship before she dismount. Keeping tight hold of Thunder's reins as she crossed to the man by the gangplank, she asked, "Where do I book passage for myself aboard this ship?"
 
“If it is the Seaspray ye be asking about, not much can be done at this late hour me laddie.. In the morning make passage to the Crow’s Nest Tavern the owners of that vessel will be found there for their afternoon “tea”, if you get me meaning...”

The elderly graybeard outstretched his arm pointing to the horizon, “Out there lies the Seaspray she be a blue-water vessel and can only come dockside at high tide that’s almost twelve hours from now...”

Richard come up to the old sailor and lad close enough to over hear their conversation.. The hounds sat and waited silently as he patted Casper on the neck the sooth and quite him..

“But I have my doubts you will be able to book passage even at the appointed time. This time of year everything is booked up, the winds this time of year favor a westward passage and one has no fear of the gales of November.. Yes, its a perfect time of year to travel to the Americas but I for the life of me can’t see why anyone would want to regardless of the time of year.”, said the old man as he seated himself on a barrel flour..

Richard took that moment to chime in, “I couldn’t help overhearing your conversion, and I couldn’t agree more with this wise old salt”…

He dismounted and offered his hand to the lad, “Richard’s my name and the Captain of the Seaspray is my cousin.. If you dine with me this evening in the morn when the Seaspray is dockside I’ll put in a good word for you….. Mr…. Mr...aaa, I don’t believe I caught your name young sir...”
 
She stood there listening to the old man talk about the Sea Spray and that it was already booked up.

A voice she knew all to well broke in and she turned to see her husband of less that half a day behind her on horseback, two beautiful dogs at his feet.

I couldn’t help overhearing your conversion, and I couldn’t agree more with this wise old salt

And with that, he dismounted and held out his hand.

Richard’s my name and the Captain of the Seaspray is my cousin.. If you dine with me this evening in the morn when the Seaspray is dockside I’ll put in a good word for you….. Mr…. Mr...aaa, I don’t believe I caught your name young sir...

His cousin! If she were a cursing woman, she would have let a string of words at this point. She knew that he had every reason to be angry.

"Never mind, sir. I think that my time has run out." She took Thunder's reins and jumped upon the black steed's back. She sat there, waiting for him to lead on. She had almost made it. She waited for her husband to mount his white beauty.
 
A smile graced his lips as she said her time had run out the farce had run it course.

“Clarissa you gave me quit a challenge you’re a gifted horsewoman I had no idea.. And because of that I believe its for the best if we rode in the same saddle. Dismount Thunder and tie his rains to the back of my saddle, while the chase was fun I’m in no mood to take another romp through the woods if you decide to take off again...”, he paused a moment as Caspar pawed the ground letting out a snort. In the cool night air clouds of stream issued from the animals flaring nostrils as if he were some magical fire breathing dragon.

“After that let us stable our steeds and have dinner and drinks at the inn and when our bellies are satisfied we should get some rest before heading back on the marrow.. It is our honeymoon after all.” , Richard exclaimed with a wink making the old man chuckle.

As soon as Clarissa was distracted the old man caught Richard’s eye and made a small circle with his thumb and index finger and making sure Clarissa wasn’t watching took the index finger of his left hand and began pumping it into the circle, as actions had him roaring in gales of laughter in no time.

“Clarissa we have much to talk about...”, Richard said in a calm commanding voice… While fishing in his pocket for scraps to throw to his dogs, a carrot for Caspar and a lump of sugar for Thunder...
 
Clarissa you gave me quit a challenge you’re a gifted horsewoman I had no idea.. And because of that I believe its for the best if we rode in the same saddle. Dismount Thunder and tie his rains to the back of my saddle, while the chase was fun I’m in no mood to take another romp through the woods if you decide to take off again...

Though she knew him not that well, his tone told her that there was no discussion, but rather an order.

As he said, she dismounted Thunder and pet his nose. The horse nuzzled her back, as if he understood and tried to offer solace. She whispered in his ear and then tied him to the white steed's saddle.

After that let us stable our steeds and have dinner and drinks at the inn and when our bellies are satisfied we should get some rest before heading back on the marrow.. It is our honeymoon after all.

She had not wanted reminding of such and looked away from her husband, paying attention to the climbing upon Richard's white steed. She was still dressed as a stable boy, her long hair still hidden by the hat. Her attention was drawn to the ships, bobbing about in the water. To have made it so close was galling, but she was not a fighter, preferring subterfuge and quick thinking to actual fighting. That he had caught her was frustrating, but she was not one to beat a dead horse. She would not have run on him again. What was in her favor before was that she caught him unaware. He would be on his guard now.

He was laughing as he looked up at her, though she knew not why.

Clarissa we have much to talk about...

She watched him throw something for the two dogs. Beautiful creatures that quickly gobbled down whatever it was. He slipped his own horse a carrot and she was happy when he slipped Thunder a lump of sugar.

She wondered if he would have their meal served in the room or would they partake down amongst the commoners. Probably the former as they would not have much privacy in the common room. She felt her stomach do a flip. After tonight, there would be no chance for going back.

She looked one last time to the ships in the water, and her loss of freedom.
 
When Clarissa was well settled in the saddle he gave the rains a shake and Caspar started down the street at a leisurely pace for the boardinghouse and tavern were less than a league and Caspar knew his way to the Tavern. Many a night Caspar has delivered his master home to his doorstep even when his mater was too drunk to climb the steps..

Twisting his head slightly to ensure Clarissa would have no trouble hearing him over the howl of the wind, “Looks like a storm is brewing”, he said, “Clarissa why did you run away, am I that hideous an Ogre?”, a flash of lightning brightened the sky like an omen from the heavens punctuating his sentence…

Caspar lifted his head and neighed nervously… For a moment Richard feared Thunder would bolt, she had always been a skittish mare. Richard knew well horses are only afraid of two things, everything that moves and anything that doesn’t, surprisingly neither horse broke stride when the din of thunder rattled Richard to his bones.
 
She felt the warmth of Richard's body in the saddle behind her. She had no choice but to lean back against him. Just a shake of the reins and the white steed headed off, apparently knowing where Richard wished to go. The deep voice sounded in her ear.

Looks like a storm is brewing. Clarissa why did you run away, am I that hideous an Ogre?

Lightening flashed across the sky. No horse liked thunder or lightening, but she knew Thunder would stay with her. The thunder shook them hard and she could see their destination in the distance. Hopefully they would reach it before the storm broke forth.

"I don't know you well enough to know whether you are an ogre or not." She closed her lips. They could finish this conversation once they got the horses in their stalls and they were safe in the tavern/boardinghouse. She figured after this night she would probably know him a whole lot better.
 
As she leaned back against him the warmth of her body and the fragrance of her hair was an unexpected delight and for a fleeting moment he wished there ride together would be longer. However, the magic of the moment was spoiled as she opened her mouth and her sassy tongue spilled out, "I don't know you well enough to know whether you are an ogre or not."

Richard fell back into a foul mood. Whatever cheer and warmth she had given him had melted away as cold hard droplets of rain falling from the heavens hit their faces. The rain while light quickly darkens the pink dust of the road to the color of blood. Richard eyes widened he was skilled in the reading of omens. As her firm young body bobbed against him, he knew shed be a handful even as his hands rested on her thighs. The firmness of her well toned body in any other woman would have charmed him but the fact she was so fit only worried Richard about what this little trickster would do next.

Before he began over thinking things they reached the stables, “Dismount..”, was all he said as he slides from the saddle and reaching up puts his hands on Clarissa's waist and lifts her down. No sooner than her feet touch Terra firma his hands let go and he steps back, with a nod he states flatly, “Tie the horses over there and leash the dogs, tether them next to the horses.”, it was against his nature to act like an unfeeling master but he knew he’d have to watch Clarissa every moment and that fact taxed him mind, body and soul. He watched her every move, she was skilled and graceful it was such a pity she was so rebellious.

"Tell me plain and simply why did you run away?", his tone softening for a moment as he added, "Please..."
 
His hands rested on her thighs as they rode, as if he suspected her to suddenly jump from the horse and run any second. To make things worse, the rain started and big drops fell. She wore only a light jacket and knew that she would soon be soaked. Hopefully, the room they would get would have a fire roaring in it soon. Her bag was still tied up behind Thunder's saddle so at least she would have clean dry clothes for tonight.

Once they reached the stables, Richard's curt orders to her told her just what he thought of her. Though she really couldn't blame him for being angry with her. Perhaps he may have started out her husband, he probably now saw her as his enemy.

Dismount..

He reached up and helped her down, quickly letting go of her as soon as possible.

Tie the horses over there and leash the dogs, tether them next to the horses.

He barked orders at her. Was this what her life would be like? She would be his servant, not his wife. She kept her mouth shut and just did as he directed. No sense in making him angrier.

Tell me plain and simply why did you run away? Please...

She stood facing him. The question was not an order but a true attempt for enlightenment. She took a deep breath and tried to explain.

"Richard, I never wanted to marry. I was happy with my life the way it was. Every man Father produced I turned down. I wanted my freedom, to do as I wanted. I met your mother. It was obvious that I was not what she wants in a daughter-in-law." She gave a little laugh. "So, I decided to run away. I would have done it before the wedding, but I was watched too closely. I figured that once I was found gone, you would have the marriage annulled and then be able to marry someone that would please everyone better."

She looked down and took a step forward, trying to allay his suspensions. "Listen, Richard. I won't bolt again. I know that it would not do any good. You have my word, for what it is worth to you."
 
His expression softened as she explained that she never wanted to marry and was happy with her life, he envied her… The courage to plow one’s own path no matter how rocky the ground was something to envy. A smile dressed his lips when she mentioned as kindly as possible that Richard’s mother didn’t approve of her. Hell if Richard were to have married the blessed virgin Mary his mother would find some fault with her holiness.

Toying with her, he licked his lips and his smiled broadened, “I have your word do I?”, catching her eye, “Please forgive my feeble memory but didn’t our wedding vows mention something about, *‘to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee myself to you.’"

He took a deep breath and pursed his lips before continuing, “Each of us you and I, have taken a vow to each other and to God almighty that the bond between us shall never be broken…”

His brow arched, “In this life… Its one of the seven holy sacraments it cannot be broken, don’t you understand Clarissa no matter how much we may want we cannot break it, it is the lot we have been given and alas cannot be broken.”

He looked downward gathering his thoughts as he listened to the rain pelting the roof when he lifted his eyes he could see sheets of water cascading off the eves, “Ah enough of this sullen talk, lets book into our room and order our dinner, lets make the best of this foulest of days”, as he offered his hand to Clarissa.

“There’s a passageway to the inn toward the back of the stable it will save us from getting drenched.” He guided her, her hand was soft and warm to the touch and fit into his nicely in his own.

Soon he was in front of a doorman and Richard offered the man a farthing and entered the passage, torches hanging on the walls lit the passage way with a cheery light... In no time they reached the end and Richard signed the registry, Richard White Duke of Orange and wife… Reassuring the innkeeper they would be staying the night and perhaps longer..

They climbed to stairway toward their room, Richard reached out and opened the door, pausing for just a moment, before scooping Clarissa up in his arms, “I believe its tradition to carry the bride across the threshold.”, he laughed at himself and Clarissa’s wide eyed astonishment.

Stepping inside he was surprised by the opulence of their accommodations, perhaps being a Duke had its advantages. Their room was spacious, with a cast-iron tub in one room, a large four posted bed in another with French doors on one side of the bedroom opening onto balcony outside, and past the bedroom a smaller reading/dinning room complete with a fireplace...
 
He smiled at her.

I have your word do I? Please forgive my feeble memory but didn’t our wedding vows mention something about, *‘to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee myself to you.’

She looked down at the floor. Of course he was right.

Each of us you and I, have taken a vow to each other and to God almighty that the bond between us shall never be broken…. In this life… Its one of the seven holy sacraments it cannot be broken, don’t you understand Clarissa no matter how much we may want we cannot break it, it is the lot we have been given and alas cannot be broken.

She now felt horrible for wanting her freedom. Because she could see that he would never have annulled the marriage. He would have always searched for her.

Suddenly, he held out his hand as he spoke. Her hand suddenly felt right in his, like he would protect her.

Ah enough of this sullen talk, lets book into our room and order our dinner, lets make the best of this foulest of days. There’s a passageway to the inn toward the back of the stable it will save us from getting drenched.

He led her through the passageway over to the inn where he registered them as husband and wife. She was sure that she blushed when he said that they may stay longer than the night. The clerk looked at her strangely and she remembered that she was dressed as a boy. And the clothes she had brought were all boy's clothes.

Once outside the room, he suddenly picked her up in his arms, much to her surprise.

I believe its tradition to carry the bride across the threshold.

Inside, the room was quite spacious with several rooms, including a bathing room and a sitting room where they could eat, and even a balcony. She was very aware of the bed, the large four posted thing catching her eye as he held her.

"Ah, you can probably let me down now." She blushed as he held her while the porter placed her bag at the foot of the bed.
 
Last edited:
He slowly laid her on the bed and quickly pressing a coin into the porter’s hand Richard smiles at the man ignoring the man infirmity for it was obvious the porter was a hunchback, “Thank you kind sir, for a generous tip, I plan to go to college in the fall I’ve been accepted at Notre Dame for the fall quarter”, said the porter bowing as he exited the room…

Richard nodded as the porter left and quickly turned his attention to his rosy cheeked bride, “He seems like a charming fellow I hope he does well in his studies don’t you Clarissa? I hope he’s not one of those fellows that goes completely wild his first time away from home.”

Looking at his bride for what seems ages, trying to find a delicate to mention she’d draw less attention if she changed into something a little less mannish.

“Clarissa my dearest do you want to change for dinner?”, his question reminded him he had forgotten a change of clothes, he was in such a hurry to scurry after Clarissa he had though only of catching and retrieving her.
 
She had not expected him to place her on the bed but he did, tipping and talking to the porter. After the young man left, he stood for a moment looking at her noting how unlike a wife and bride she looked. The hat she wore still hid her long blonde hair and her breast were still bound to help hide that she was a female.

Clarissa my dearest do you want to change for dinner?

She hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to tell him.

"Richard, I was planning on having to masquerade as a male on the trip over. So I only brought the groom's clothes that I took." She had not even brought a gown, figuring that she would just sleep in her regular clothes. She stood beside the bed and removing her hat, unpinning her hair and letting it tumble loose to fall down her back.

"I'm sorry, Richard. I seem to have fouled up everything."

She turn and walked to the French doors, standing there watching the rain pour on the balcony and run over the edge. A flash of lightning lit the night, followed quickly by thunder that rattled the glass in the door.
 
“Oh Clarissa think nothing of it, I just assumed you bought a change of clothing that’s all…”, as her hair fell about her shoulders it framed her face not unlike the halos surrounding the face of an angle he imagined.

“I forgot a change of clothing as well, when you fled all I could think about is getting you back, Clarissa.”, he confessed. Walked up behind her and wrapped around her slim waist drawing her close. He let out a small moan which was downed out the pouring rains as he felt the soft warmth of shapely bottom pressing against his manhood.

He draw back for a moment, “As I hold you in my arms there’s no mistaking you’re a woman.. No matter how well you tied to hide that fact. The moment I seen you in your wedding gown I knew you were the one for me.”, his hand parted her hair and he kissed the back of her neck, and allowed himself the pleasure of nibbling the nape of her neck each kiss giving a little suck as each kiss trailed there way toward her shoulder.
 
Oh Clarissa think nothing of it, I just assumed you bought a change of clothing that’s all…. I forgot a change of clothing as well, when you fled all I could think about is getting you back, Clarissa.

He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, drawing her back against him. Suddenly, the thunder rolled across the night and his words surprised her. all I could think about is getting you back In the fortnight leading up to the wedding, they really had not had that much contact. Maybe as little as 2 hours alone where they could talk. The rest of the time, it was her Father, his Mother, fittings for the dress, her trousseau. Aunt Agatha had tried to talk to her 2 hours before the actual wedding. "It's a filthy thing that men enjoy and women hate. The quicker it's over with, the faster you can enjoy the rest of the day.". She had really not paid that much attention to what she said as she had no plans on being there for the wedding night. But the wedding night was here and there was no way back to the past.

As I hold you in my arms there’s no mistaking you’re a woman.. No matter how well you tied to hide that fact. The moment I seen you in your wedding gown I knew you were the one for me.

His words touched her. She never saw herself as pretty. She was too tall. And her freckles always marred her complexion. And yet, he had wanted her.

He parted her hair as it fell down her back and began kissing her neck, his lips warm as he nibbled and gave little sucks along her nape towards her shoulder.

She was nervous. And uncomfortable. The fabric pulled tight around her breast itched and had ridden up a bit.

As he kissed her neck, she bowed her head and closed her eyes. What he was doing made her stomach flutter and her breath kept catching in her throat.

"Rich...Rich...uh...Richard, I...uh..." She trailed off, unable to continue, unable to even think.
 
He could feel her body tense and there was no mistaken the way her words stammered from lips… He quickly spins her around and with a tone of earnest concern asks, “I sense you are ill at ease I am I doing some wrong?” searching her eyes for an answer…

He stood there transfixed by her beauty. Her face reminded him of the fresco’s of angels he had seen on his trip to Florence painted by an inventor. He thought back on the warm summer day he visited the studio of the old man, who fancied himself an inventor he was kind enough to show Richard his codex it was written in an odd backward scrip and could only be read when held up to a mirror. However, the book was full of fanciful devices, machines that looked like mechanical birds, other things that were fearsome weapons of war, even a boat that swim under water like a fish that could carry men in it belly and sink the largest of frigates or so said the inventor.

Richard mused, the old man was a skillful enough artist but would he have been able to paint a smile as radiate as Caressa's, “My dear your face reminds me of the paintings of a Venetian I visited last summer a man named Leonardo of Vinci. I couldn't decide if he were a genius or simply mad or both. I have often wondered how the ages will treat him, he’s a gifted enough artist but seems to have trouble painting a smile smile. I'm sure he could never paint a smile as beautiful as yours.”
 
He suddenly stopped and spun her around and she found, to her surprise, that she didn't want him to stop. She wanted more.

I sense you are ill at ease I am I doing some wrong?

She gave a shy smile and shook her head as he stared at her.

My dear your face reminds me of the paintings of a Venetian I visited last summer a man named Leonardo of Vinci. I couldn't decide if he were a genius or simply mad or both. I have often wondered how the ages will treat him, he’s a gifted enough artist but seems to have trouble painting a smile smile. I'm sure he could never paint a smile as beautiful as yours.

She felt her face blush. She had never allowed any man to get close to her. She had always managed to hold them at bay. Yet, here was someone who had managed to get past her barriers.

"You're doing nothing wrong. It's me. Richard, I've never been one for... I always would... I'm very inexperienced when it comes to such things. There is no doubt that I find you attractive. And that this is our wedding night. And that I am apprehensive about what is to happen." And suddenly, for someone who knew what she wanted, she suddenly didn't know anything.
 
He raised an eyebrow at her explanation, “Clarissa my dear Clarissa I am just as inexperienced and apprehensive as you I assure you...”, his voice soft as his hand equally as gentle brushed her golden locks of her face, “Men of letters say there maybe as many a half a billion souls alive in this world, and there must be a reason the population continues to raise? Is there not?”

As he laid his hands on her shoulders he could feel the tension in her limbs, “Perhaps it maybe best if we bathe before dinner and wash the grime of the road from our persons, yes perhaps a nice warm bath would relax you… Let me ring that nice porter to fetch some heated water for a nice bath...”, Richard pulled a red velvet rope hanging from the ceiling of the bedchamber and in no time the hunchback appeared.

“You rang sir?”

Surprised at the mans speedy service, “Yes I did could you prepare the tub so the Misses and I could bathe my good man..”

With that the hunchback scurried off only to return moments later laden with two large bucket brimming with steaming water. Bringing bucket after bucket of steamy soapy water he topped it off steaming buckets with buckets of cool water till the temperature was just right the soap making the tub look as if it had been filled with milk.

“You are a speedy one, and by the way I never caught your name?”, said Richard loosening his blouse..

“My name is Quasimodo, my friends call me Quaz.. I’ll take my leave so you and the misses can enjoy your bath. If you need anything just ring”, the hunchback presses a small bell into Richard’s hand.. And left as quickly as he came.
 
She walked over to the fireplace, warming herself while Richard talked to the porter, asking for a bath to be drawn. She tried to not think about it. Taking a bath with someone else? Her husband. Husband. This was a word that she was going to have to accept.

She turned her back to him and the porter as they talked, not paying attention to them. His words echoed in her head.

Clarissa my dear Clarissa I am just as inexperienced and apprehensive as you I assure you...

So, he too was a virgin? This surprised her. This she was not expecting. Maybe that explained why he had chased her down.

She never heard the porter leave or the subsequent quiet that filled the room as she stared into the flames of the fireplace, the logs crackling in the heat.
 
Back
Top