Dark Receiver

"OK, let's go get us some coffee, more for you and a new cup for me."

He took off his MP3 player and slipped it into his bag, then he got up and walked with her to the backstage area.

"You see the one thing that I want to change is the Scrooge's assistant, normally it's a man. But what if you have..."

He motioned towards Claire,

"A young, innocent, silent, but very hard-working girl? She has to handle all the challenges thrown at her in a male-orientated world and time period. Of course at first we will only get to see the honest, hard-working girl. During the visitation of Scrooge's own ghost for the Present, we will see what she has to go through to actually keep her family alive."

He sighed
 
"OK, let's go get us some coffee, more for you and a new cup for me."

Claire stood and followed Glen heading towards the area set up for refreshments for the cast.

"You see the one thing that I want to change is the Scrooge's assistant, normally it's a man. But what if you have... A young, innocent, silent, but very hard-working girl?

Claire nodded as they both fixed coffees as he talked.

"She has to handle all the challenges thrown at her in a male-orientated world and time period. Of course at first we will only get to see the honest, hard-working girl. During the visitation of Scrooge's own ghost for the Present, we will see what she has to go through to actually keep her family alive."

Claire leaned against the wall considering as she sipped the coffee.

"Interesting twist ... but difficult to be convincing in that period ... and you'd need to get an appropriate 'tiny Tim' character ... would she be young and unmarried, or a widow ... and if married, then why would she be working...?"

Her mind ran over the possibilities.

"I suppose you could go really radical and make Scrooge a female character....?"

She glanced at Glen expecting him to deride her idea instantly.

"Rich spinster aunt type ... but a business fiend rather than the maternal, family type ... which would fit ... "

She chuckled.

" ....now that would be an interesting role to play ... "
 
"Hmmmm well she will be young, so unmarried and having to support a family as there is no male old enough..."

He listened to her next idea and a slow smile crept over his face,

"Now that is a good idea actually, but not only that, we can modernize the play then. A business tycoon, shown the errors of her ways."

He snapped his fingers,

"I think you're on to something there Claire, this will be a story that will make many people wonder about their own lives and what they are doing to make a better influence on other people and if they don't, what influence it has on the people around them."

He tapped his forefinger on the table,

"Setting it in the older age would make her a complete and utter ruthless woman, but in a more modern setting, say the 80's we can actually just make her a smart woman, but whose work ethic just keeps her from home and hearth in such a way that she has nobody in her home to talk to or to care for and that has caused her to life her work..."

He spooned coffee into two cups, added one sugar to his and filled it with water.
 
"Now that is a good idea actually, but not only that, we can modernize the play then. A business tycoon, shown the errors of her ways ...
I think you're on to something there Claire, this will be a story that will make many people wonder about their own lives and what they are doing to make a better influence on other people and if they don't, what influence it has on the people around them."


She smiled at his enthusiasm as Glen seemed to get caught up in the idea.

"Setting it in the older age would make her a complete and utter ruthless woman, but in a more modern setting, say the 80's we can actually just make her a smart woman, but whose work ethic just keeps her from home and hearth in such a way that she has nobody in her home to talk to or to care for and that has caused her to life her work..."

It certainly seemed plausible. More than that it sounded like a relevant as well as interesting twist.

"I can see why you went into producing plays ..."

She commented.

"Being creative like that must be easy to get hooked on ... "

She had always considered that she had a good imagination, which she had supposed helped her to act, but she was finding the ability to 'adapt' and 'update' a story fascinated her.

"When did you last act, Glen?"

She asked curiously as they enjoyed their coffee and wondering what type of Romeo he would make were he to ever take on that role himself ...
 
He sipped on his coffee, considering her question,

"I took over the business three years ago, so I haven't acted on stage in three years."

He smiled at her,

"Scared that I've become rusty?"
 
"I took over the business three years ago, so I haven't acted on stage in three years.... Scared that I've become rusty?"

She shook her head, but was not fazed by his teasing question as she might have been previously.

"Not at all ... I was just wondering how you'd interpret 'Romeo' if the role was yours...?"

Her eyes did not leave Glen as she speculated what kind of lover he would be ... in the acting sense of course, she admonished herself ...
 
He smiled at her, placing the cup aside, he stepped closer to her, his eyes capturing her own,

"Love is blind, and lovers cannot see, the pretty follies that themselves commit, come what sorrow can, it cannot countervail the exchange of joy, that one short minute gives me in her sight."

He took her hand in his own, his one hand slowly tracing over the back of her hand,

"Who ever loved that loved not at first sight? Hear my soul speak of the very instant that I saw you, Did my heart fly at your service. Love sought is good, but given unsought is better."

He placed a tender kiss on her knuckles, not once breaking eye contact with her,

"And thus, with a kiss I may now die a happy man."

He held her gaze for a few more moments and then smiled at her,

"I do hope that was good enough to woe you?"
 
He made no response to her speculation, instead he put his cup aside and stepped closer before stating;

"Love is blind, and lovers cannot see, the pretty follies that themselves commit, come what sorrow can, it cannot countervail the exchange of joy, that one short minute gives me in her sight."

His voice was softlly intimate, a contrast to the tone he usually used to talk to her, but somehow not 'un-natural'. She put her cup aside as she listened to the words whose origin she could not quite trace. She could well imagine this were how Glen would romance the lady of his choice, which she supposed was an acting skill.

"Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?"

Surely that came from 'As You Like It'? she thought briefly until her musings were cut short by the sensation of the touch of his hands. The soft tracing was understated, but effective. He was acting of course, but Claire definitely found his 'performance' convincing ...

" Hear my soul speak of the very instant that I saw you, Did my heart fly at your service."

It seemed that he was talking to her now. Perhaps the fact that the words were unfamiliar to her added power to them?

"Love sought is good, but given unsought is better."

It was impossible not to be drawn by the soft intensity of his words.
The pause as he lifted her hand was intense in its silence, the light kiss unexpected, causing her eyes to widen without recourse to 'acting'.

"And thus, with a kiss I may now die a happy man."

For long moments his eyes held hers. A spark, an intensity that made Claire feel her own pulses quicken seemed to exist between them. And then he relaxed back to his familiar smile.

"I do hope that was good enough to woe you?"

Automatically she nodded, reminding herself that of course he was the consummate actor.

"Of course ... I never doubted it ... "

She answered somewhat breathlessly; still aware of her hand in Glen's.

"So ... THIS is what you call acting is it?"

Claire's head snapped in the direction of the angry voice.

"Dad! What are you doing here!?!"

She asked aghast as she wondered just how much of the 'scene' her father had witnessed.

"Never mind that. Just what do you think you're playing at? You're so taken with this grand career of yours that you can't even spare a few words for your mother or me. And when I come here to find out just what it is that's oh-so-important I find ... "

He glared at Glen as if assessing him.

"You're the biker aren't you?"

His question was all hostility.

"Dad! Glen is ... "

She attempted to diffuse the situation by explaining Glen's position and that it was he who had issued her with a contract, but her father merely dismissed her attempt.
 
He turned casually to see the rather imposing figure of Claire's father, the man was the very epitome of Fulgencio Capulet. He leaned against the table, picking up his coffee to take a sip, he waited for the signature brushing aside, when he moved forward.

"What you walked in on is me proving that I can stand in for a character, so it IS acting that you walked in on. As for me being the biker as you so crudely place it, yes I drive a motorcycle and if you took a look at the gas prices you would too."

He came to halt in front of Claire's father, the man was only a few inches taller, but clearly a bit heavier than Glen, but he was not a man to back down easily, he wouldn't have made success with the production business if he did.

"I can clearly see why she would not want to speak to you about anything in her life. Oh I may not know you personally, but I have heard and seen enough about you to know just what you are. You are a man who keeps secrets away from the people it should matter to, you are the one who makes decisions for others and when they disobey you...you are exactly as you are now."

As he spoke his voice stayed controlled, yet a cold tone had set in, one that grew even icier as he spoke.

"You want truth? I'll tell you the truth, Claire is not a child anymore, she is a woman, an adult. If you treat her accordingly, there might be an improvement in your relationship with her. She is highly talented and this theater work that you see as a whim is something that she takes very seriously. Time for you to understand that what seems unimportant to you is very important for her. If you were anything close to a real father you would know and realize that."
 
Claire no more knew how to deal appropriately with her father than Juliet in Act 3, Scene 5 so she was amazed that Glen seemed unfazed by such a display of anger and accusation.

"What you walked in on is me proving that I can stand in for a character, so it IS acting that you walked in on."

His reasonable explanation calmed Claire slightly; indeed she was calm enough to experience a pang when he asserted that all they had shared was acting, but the situation was too tense for her to examine that unexpected reaction at the moment.

"As for me being the biker as you so crudely place it, yes I drive a motorcycle and if you took a look at the gas prices you would too."

Glen's calmness had somehow transformed into him actually fronting up to her father!
Claire watched aghast as Glen's stance became openly confrontational.

"I can clearly see why she would not want to speak to you about anything in her life."

Glen's words seemed to shock Claire almost as much as they did her father.

"Oh I may not know you personally, but I have heard and seen enough about you to know just what you are."/

This was not what Claire had expected at all!

"You are a man who keeps secrets away from the people it should matter to, you are the one who makes decisions for others and when they disobey you...you are exactly as you are now."

Of course she didn't assume Glen would allow her father's personal attack on him to go by without response, but it was clear that Glen intended to stand up for Claire which went way beyond defence of what her father thought he had witnessed.

"You want truth? I'll tell you the truth, Claire is not a child anymore, she is a woman, an adult.
If you treat her accordingly, there might be an improvement in your relationship with her."
.

Claire instinctively moved closer to Glen as he spoke, torn between supporting the words that she had wanted to say to her father for a long time, yet fearfully wanting to avoid further confrontation, to indicate to Glen that enough had been said.
Glen obviously felt differently...

"She is highly talented and this theater work that you see as a whim is something that she takes very seriously.
Time for you to understand that what seems unimportant to you is very important for her."


Claire had never seen Glen so angry!
Though his voice was calm and controlled, each word dripped ice.

"If you were anything close to a real father you would know and realize that."

Claire inhaled sharply, her hand instinctively going to Glen's arm, shocked at the all-too-valid accusation he had thrown at her father and holding her breath as the latter stood silently, eyes blazing as he took in the sight of the pair who to his eyes stood in opposition to him.

"Well ... that's just fine ... "

His voice matched Glen's for calmness.
The smile he gave seemed so out of place that it was positively sinister.

" ... I wonder ... if Claire has told you that we're moving away ... retiring to Devon ... "

It was clear that her father thought tht he was delivering a bomb shell and seemed slightly taken-aback by Glen's nod indicating that he was in fact aware of the prospective move.

Claire finally found her voice and moved in front of Glen.

"I'm sure you and mom will love it down there ... "

She told him pointedly making her intentions clear to her father...
For long moments the man held her gaze, then gave a small nod, the strange smile returning.

"And I suppose you're going to help Claire to find accomodation, to move out?"

Her father's almost triumphant gaze moved to Glen as he questionned him with strange emphasis.
Having received confirmation of Glen's intent, her father returned his attention to his daughter.

"Well ... if you feel that way sweetheart..."

His voice saccharin as he seemed to back down entirely.

"Then ... the sooner the better ... we wouldn't want to be accused of standing in the way of this amazing career of yours ... "

A glance at Glen had a triumphant quality about it.
And then the producer was dismissed as he stepped towards his daughter taking her hands in his.

"But remember ... Claire ... you'll always be our daughter ... if this shouldn't work out ... if ... anything should ... happen ... "

He reached out and stroked her cheek, the gesture affectionate.

"Then you'll always ... always have a home with us ... "

He emphasised as he pressed a kiss on her hair and smiled at her reassuringly before stepping away. With a shrug he turned towards the exit, then paused turning back.

" ... you'll love Devon ... "

He asserted confidently ...
 
Glen mulled over her father's words and as he turned to head for the exit, Glen decided to throw down his tripple Ace,

"Yes Mr Westhal, I will help Claire with lodging, but did you know that Claire helped me and my friend Elron?"

Her father's reaction showed Glen that he had deduced correctly, he watched as the older man walked out, he didn't turn to face Claire yet.

"You do realize that only the words was from plays, I wasn't acting the rest."

He needed her to understand that little fact, that he had come to care for her in their short time together.
 
Claire watched the conflicting behaviour of her father. She didn't understand his hostility. She didn't understand his switch in approach reassuring her she do as she wanted .... and then that comment about loving Devon!?!

Her father turned to leave and she had the strangest feeling that he had won somehow.

"Yes Mr Westhal, I will help Claire with lodging, but did you know that Claire helped me and my friend Elron?"

Glen's words stopped her father in his tracks and saw him turn and face Glen.
There was silence between the two men, but there was something that passed between them. Her father's assurance seemed to evaporate, but even without words she could tell that somehow more than ever he regarded Glen as 'the enemy'.

"You do realize that only the words was from plays, I wasn't acting the rest."

She dragged her eyes from her father's departing figure.

"What...?"

She focused back on Glen, belatedly realising what he had said.

"You weren't acting...?"

She repeated. She knew he had been genuinely angered by her father, both in his own right and on her behalf. That had not been an act.
But ... she realised ... Glen was referring to ... the 'wooing scene' ...

"Ohhhh ... "

Could it be that he had some ... romantic ... interest in her despite everything...?
 
"No Claire, I wasn't. Delivering a line I can do with the greatest of ease, but the rest, that was just for you."

He finally looked at her and gave her a small smile,

"I think I have figured out what your parents have been hiding from you and it kind of explains a lot about their behavior."

A knocking on the door interrupted him as the staff who brought the meal for the day entered.
 

"No Claire, I wasn't. Delivering a line I can do with the greatest of ease, but the rest, that was just for you."


He turned to meet her surprised gaze. She gave an answering smile finding that she rather liked the idea that Glen had a more 'personal interest' in her ...

"I think I have figured out what your parents have been hiding from you and it kind of explains a lot about their behavior."

His unexpected words almost took her by as much surprise as his previous statment. The arrival of catering staff brought their conversation to a temporary halt during which she topped up her coffee and offered to do the same for Glen.
For long minutes there was the to-and-fro which they had become practiced in over those rehearsal days.
Only when they had vacated the room was Claire able to ask.

"Glen ... why do you think my parents have been hiding something from me?
I know they're a bit ... strange at times ... and have been really difficult about my choice of a career in the theatre ... but that's just parent behaviour ... "
 
Last edited:
"It is all about you being helped or if a courtesy is given to you."

He sipped his coffee,

"Did you notice how he deflated after I said you have helped Elron and me? He knew then that since you have helped us first, we are free to help you."

He gave her a grim little smile,

"Many people have felt your helping grace in this building, I have watched you and saw all the interactions you had during this week. I think you will see this production out and together we will go and see your parents."

He smiled at her and noticed the first of the cast members arriving,

"Give me a chance young Sophie, I will soothe your soul and touch your heart."

With a last smile he turned to greet Paris, Prince and the Lady Capulet.
 
"It is all about you being helped or if a courtesy is given to you."

Claire didn't understand what Glen meant at all.

"Did you notice how he deflated after I said you have helped Elron and me?"

She nodded slowly. She had noticed her father's behaviour change.

"He knew then that since you have helped us first, we are free to help you."

There was some logic in what he said, but still Claire couldn't quite grasp the impact of what Glen had worked out.

"Many people have felt your helping grace in this building, I have watched you and saw all the interactions you had during this week".

What she thought he was suggesting was beyond weird, but even though it was obviously something Glen believed to be true, he didn't seem phased by it!

"I think you will see this production out and together we will go and see your parents."

Her eyes widened in surprise, not at the first comment, but the idea of going to see her parents; something that was not on her agenda at that moment in time!

"Give me a chance young Sophie, I will soothe your soul and touch your heart."

Beyond them others had started to arrive, but the soft quote was for her and her alone. She smiled and nodded content to follow his lead in all this and curious as to how their relationship might develop.

She topped up her coffee and helped herself to a pastry as she watched Glen greet the group who had just arrived. Surely the day could not get more dramatic than this, she mused as she ate slowly, not even fully aware of the increasing number of cast members who had made their way to the tables keen to fuel up before hitting the boards for another rehearsal...
 
As the cast gradually filled up, his time was spent explaining certain aspects of scenes to a few members as well as answering questions. When everybody was present he clapped his hands to get their attention.

"All right people, Elron will be along later on, he's house-hunting, so I will be standing in for him until he returns. I want to start today with Act two, scene Two, yes for those ruffling through pages or suddenly looking for their bags it is the fabled balcony scene."

He glanced at Claire with a small smile,

"I will be filling in for Elron and believe me, I will be watching your performance."

He clapped his hands one more time,

"Right! No props, no costumes, let's get started."
 
In a very short time all the cast was assembled. Glen as usualy called them all to attention, their animated babble reduced instantly to silence as he clapped his hands.

"All right people, Elron will be along later on, he's house-hunting, so I will be standing in for him until he returns."

The announcement drew no surprised reaction from the others. Glen had been known to 'read in' parts during rehearsal whenever needed.

"I want to start today with Act two, scene Two, yes for those ruffling through pages or suddenly looking for their bags it is the fabled balcony scene."

That hadn't been the scene Claire had been expecting and it was so pivotal to the dynamics between her and Elron that she wondered why Glen had chosen that particular scene. Could it be that he was giving the opportunity to see him in the guise as Romeo, or was it that in this way he could really assess her calibre as an actress?

"I will be filling in for Elron and believe me, I will be watching your performance."

Though the reason seemed the latter, Glen did not miss the smile sent in her direction, an action that unexpectedly drew a soft blush.

"Right! No props, no costumes, let's get started."

She was pleased that there was a confusion of activity as the others headed off, mostly to take a seat in the auditorium. Despite his comment about watching the others carefully, the scene he had chosen to start with was extended Romeo-Juliet dialogue, with off stage shouts from the nurse followed by dialogue between Romeo and Friar Lawrence. That it seemed was his strategy; to play alongside as many of the cast as possible. Playing alongside someone truly did give you an insight as to their quality as an actor. Claire had learned that by experience.

Moving onto the stage, Claire attempted to set aside the realities of the morning. To the side, Glen began his speech, yet as Juliet Claire was not yet aware of his presence.

But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.


Her father's actions she easily dismissed; after all she had long experience of doing so, but Glen's 'announcement' had been so unexpected ... she could not help but wonder how things between them would develop and - to use the terminology of Juliet's time - what his intentions were ...

Just in time, Claire spoke her 'Ay, me!' on cue and with a genuine sigh at the fact that Glen had truly distracted her, channelled that as she prepared to deliver her so-famous "... wherefore art thou Romeo? ..." speech.
 
Unlike most of the cast he was acting out of memory, he had played and seen the play enough to know it by heart, as he talked to himself, brooding about the love which is supposed to be his worst enemy. He was actually not concentrating on her, instead on his posture, his own brooding, his yearning for a girl he had just met. His head whipped around at her voice and he seemed to step into a shadow, looking at her in wonderment:

"She speaks: O, speak again, bright angel! for thou art as glorious to this night, being o'er my head as is a winged messenger of heaven, unto the white-upturned wondering eyes of mortals that fall back to gaze on him when he bestrides the lazy-pacing clouds and sails upon the bosom of the air."
 
Claire too knew most of the play by heart, this part especially. It was with difficulty that she did not turn to where Glen spoke, knowing that as yet, she had to proceed without knowing her love was hearing her every word. The familiar words came naturally as she questionned fate that had led her to love one who her family considered an enemy. Pausing momentarily as 'Romeo' interjected, Claire continued, the similiarity between her fate and Juliet's not dissimilar:

" ... 'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague..."


More so than ever before, she took her time over her musings, as if putting back the moment when 'Romeo' would make his presence known. In that short monologue, she, Juliet realised that she was in love with the man she had only just met and that she would give everything up for him:

"... Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself."


So caught up with the significance of what she was saying, Claire was genuinely startled when Glen spoke out forcing her to come face to face with the man she now realised she loved.
 
He stepped slightly forward, looking at Claire with the wonderment and love that Romeo surely had felt for Juliet at that moment when Shakespear wrote it down,

"I take thee at thy word:**Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized; henceforth I never will be Romeo."

A small smile came to his lips as they continued their dialogue, at times he could swear he saw a blush on Claire's cheeks, but could not say for certain. When the scene ended and they parted, he felt that little pang that Romeo felt and was very certain that this was in no part just the acting taking hold of him.
 
Thou know'st the mask of night is on my face,
Else would a maiden blush bepaint my cheek
For that which thou hast heard me speak to-night


Claire found truth in the words. She had been half aware of the rest of the cast, now seated in the front rows of the theatre and had fleetingly wondered before hand if the scene would play out in a similar way as it had with Elron ... Only the nurse would be in the wings, though belatedly Claire realised that she too was seated to the front of the stage from where she delivered the prompts which drew Juliet away from her Romeo.

Three words, dear Romeo, and good night indeed.
If that thy bent of love be honourable,
Thy purpose marriage, send me word to-morrow,
By one that I'll procure to come to thee,
Where and what time thou wilt perform the rite;
And all my fortunes at thy foot I'll lay
And follow thee my lord throughout the world.


The scene between them progressed naturally and all too soon it seemed she reached the final "... parting is such // sweet sorrow,". Somehow Claire seemed reluctant to end the scene, such had been the suspension of emotion between them. Slowly she retreated but watched as Glen delivered his final speech then turned seemingly to go immediately into the scene with Friar Lawrence.

Uncharacteristically, the actor wasn't in place. A brief pause whilst Claire moved through the wings and took a seat in the front. Talk was impossible now that Romeo had entered and the interaction was underway ...
 
The older man who played the friar stepped up, of course not carrying his basket, but instead notes:

"The gray-eyed morn smiles on the frowning night, checkering the eastern clouds with streaks of light, and fleckled darkness like a drunkard reels
from forth day’s path and Titan’s fiery wheels. Now, ere the sun advance his burning eye, the day to cheer and night’s dank dew to dry, I must upfill this osier cage of ours with baleful weeds and precious-juicèd flowers. The earth, that’s nature’s mother, is her tomb. What is her burying, grave that is her womb. And from her womb children of divers kind we sucking on her natural bosom find, many for many virtues excellent, none but for some and yet all different. Oh, mickle is the powerful grace that lies in herbs, plants, stones, and their true qualities. For naught so vile that on the earth doth live but to the earth some special good doth give. Nor aught so good but, strained from that fair use revolts from true birth, stumbling on abuse. Virtue itself turns vice, being misapplied, and vice sometime by action dignified. Within the infant rind of this small flower poison hath residence and medicine power. For this, being smelt, with that part cheers each part; being tasted, stays all senses with the heart. Two such opposèd kings encamp them still, in man as well as herbs—grace and rude will. And where the worser is predominant, full soon the canker death eats up that plant."

Glen stepped in from the wings,

"Good morrow, Father."

"Benedicite.What early tongue so sweet saluteth me? Young son, it argues a distempered head so soon to bid good morrow to thy bed. Care keeps his watch in every old man’s eye, and where care lodges, sleep will never lie. But where unbruisèd youth with unstuffed brain doth couch his limbs, there golden sleep doth reign. Therefore thy earliness doth me assure thou art uproused by some distemperature. Or if not so, then here I hit it right: Our Romeo hath not been in bed tonight."

Glen grinned and walked closer to the friar,

"That last is true. The sweeter rest was mine."

The friar crossed himself,

"God pardon sin! Wast thou with Rosaline?"

Glen looked shocked and then shook his head vehemently,

"With Rosaline, my ghostly Father? No. I have forgot that name and that name’s woe."

The friar smiled,

"That’s my good son. But where hast thou been, then?"

Glen smiled and gripped the friar's shoulders,

"I’ll tell thee ere thou ask it me again. I have been feasting with mine enemy, where on a sudden one hath wounded me, that’s by me wounded. Both our remedies within thy help and holy physic lies. I bear no hatred, blessèd man, for, lo, my intercession likewise steads my foe."

The friar patted Glen's hand,

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift. Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift."

Glen released one hand from the friar's shoulders and looked up towards the audience, like he was back in the orchard,

"Then plainly know my heart’s dear love is set on the fair daughter of rich Capulet. As mine on hers, so hers is set on mine, and all combined, save what thou must combine by holy marriage. When and where and how we met, we wooed and made exchange of vow, I’ll tell thee as we pass, but this I pray:
That thou consent to marry us today."

The friar scoffed in ridicule,

"Holy Saint Francis, what a change is here! Is Rosaline, whom thou didst love so dear, so soon forsaken? Young men’s love then lies not truly in their hearts, but in their...eyes."

The pregnant pause before he said eyes, made clear that he wanted to say something different from eyes.

"Jesu Maria, what a deal of brine hath washed thy sallow cheeks for Rosaline! How much salt water thrown away in waste to season love that of it doth not taste! The sun not yet thy sighs from heaven clears, thy old groans ring yet in my ancient ears. Lo, here upon thy cheek the stain doth sit of an old tear that is not washed off yet. If e'er thou wast thyself and these woes thine, thou and these woes were all for Rosaline. And art thou changed? Pronounce this sentence then: Women may fall when there’s no strength in men."

Glen turned back to face the friar,

"Thou chid’st me oft for loving Rosaline"

The friar now rested a hand on Glen's shoulder,

"For doting, not for loving, pupil mine."

Glen held up a finger and frowned like the friar seems to do often,

"And badest me bury love."

The friar sighed once more

"Not in a grave, to lay one in, another out to have."

Glen stepped away, clearly frustrated now,

"I pray thee, chide not. Her I love now doth grace for grace and love for love allow. The other did not so."

The friar smiled knowingly,

"Oh, she knew well thy love did read by rote, that could not spell. But come, young waverer, come, go with me, in one respect I’ll thy assistant be, for this alliance may so happy prove to turn your households' rancor to pure love."

Glen smiled, excited once more,

"Oh, let us hence. I stand on sudden haste."

The friar placed a restraining hand on Glen's shoulder,

"Wisely and slow. They stumble that run fast."

The two walked out to the wings, clearly in secret council with each other, Benvulio and Mercutio stepped in from the other side, since there was no props, there was no need to wait. Glen clapped the older man friendly on the shoulder, it was clear that the man was well suited for the friar, if the members of the board was not certain, Glen was very certain now about that. He turned his attention to two of his duelist students and watched them closely, at least they both seemed to have the close friendship that the script called for.
 
Claire watched the scene play out. She watched Benvolio and Mercutio interact and then the entrance of Romeo. She noted that the fact that Glen was acting alongside them actually improved their performances. The entrance of the nurse made her smile. Abigail truly was wonderful in the role. When they had their scenes together it had been easy to capture that closeness between the two, but seeing her now 'in full sail' at her comedic best, Claire could not help but chuckle.

Claire left it until the last minute to head to the wings and get ready to open the next scene. She needed to cast aside the amusement of the previous scene so she entered slowly and gave herself time to get into character, choosing to pace and sigh as if waiting impatiently. Finally, as if frustration forced the words from her lips she commenced.

The clock struck nine when I did send the nurse;
In half an hour she promised to return...


By the time Abigail made her entrance, Claire had suitably set herself on edge as to the possible outcome of the meeting that they played the scene perfectly. Claire could easily identify with the need to have confirmation that she was indeed loved and having that news delayed so excrutiatingly. She was almost weeping with frustration when finally the nurse took pity on her.

Then hie you hence to Friar Laurence' cell;
There stays a husband to make you a wife:


Relief and joy were easy to play. Claire was certainly looking forward to sharing another scene, the wedding scene with Glen, even though it would be sadly brief.
And so it was that the next scene followed quickly. The actor playing the Friar truly had the gravitas to act as advisor and mentor to the two of them.

Therefore love moderately; long love doth so;
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow.


His advice, no matter how sound is dismissed by them both. The eagerness to be on stage with Glen again added in no small measure to her performance. The Friar seeing the pair together was left in no doubt as to the need to marry the two.

Come, come with me, and we will make short work;
For, by your leaves, you shall not stay alone
Till holy church incorporate two in one.


Claire knew that this was the highpoint of happiness in the play. As the Act closes with the marriage all is hopeful and optimistic. The following act saw everything breaking down for Juliet: Scene II was possibly her most demanding scene and the scene she had believed Glen had intended to start with. Her only other scene was scene 5, the last one in the play. Again Juliet's role demanded extreme dynamics from awakening after her wedding night to being ordered to marry Paris. This time, she decided she would remain in the wings to make sure that she maintained focus.

There had been no sign of Elron as yet. Claire watched Glen for a cue as to whether he wanted to give notes to the cast. Perhaps he would call a break and wait on Elron, or perhaps in a bid to maintain the momentum he would choose to continue ... either way, she was ready ...
 
He glanced at his watch, they had actually progressed faster than what he had thought, well no matter, he waved the troop to carry on, there was still some time before the break and act three came into play, he smiled at the tension as it grew between the two groups of men, this was so good. He entered on que and Tybalt rounded on him,

"Romeo, the love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain."

Glen seemed taken aback by these words,

"Tybalt, the reason that I have to love thee doth much excuse the appertaining rage to such a greeting. Villain am I none. Therefore, farewell. I see thou know’st me not."

Glen turned away from Tybalt to leave,

"Boy, this shall not excuse the injuries that thou hast done me. Therefore turn and draw."

Glen stopped and half turned back,

"I do protest I never injured thee, but love thee better than thou canst devise, till thou shalt know the reason of my love. And so, good Capulet—which name I tender as dearly as my own—be satisfied."

The fight scene exploded rather than flowed and it seemed like a real quarrel and quite fittingly Tybalt and his consort leaves as does Mercutio and Benvolio. Glen stands alone and he looks up at the empty seats,

"This gentleman, the Prince’s near ally, my very friend, hath got his mortal hurt
In my behalf. My reputation stained with Tybalt’s slander.—Tybalt, that an hour hath been my kinsman! O sweet Juliet, thy beauty hath made me effeminate and in my temper softened valor’s steel!"

Benvolio returns, his shoulders slumped, his feet almost dragging under the weight of his news,

"O Romeo, Romeo, brave Mercutio is dead! That gallant spirit hath aspired the clouds, which too untimely here did scorn the earth."

Glen dropped his own shoulders as this was his fault,

"This day’s black fate on more days doth depend. This but begins the woe others must end."

Tybalt came back onto the stage,

"Here comes the furious Tybalt back again."

Glen turned to Tybalt, his sadness gone in a flash of anger,

"Alive in triumph—and Mercutio slain! Away to heaven, respective lenity, and fire-eyed fury be my conduct now. Now, Tybalt, take the “villain” back again that late thou gavest me, for Mercutio’s soul is but a little way above our heads, staying for thine to keep him company. Either thou or I, or both, must go with him."

Tybalt is just as quick to anger,

"Thou, wretched boy, that didst consort him here shalt with him hence."

Glen lunged forward,

"This shall determine that."

Of course all Tybalt had to do is fall and for Glen to stare down at the fallen form in shock, and Benvolio's urging Glen left for the wings as the rest of the scene played out.
 
Back
Top