A June challenge

As the latest challenge winds down I have another suggestion....albeit recycled and found on a wander through the archives but I’ve put a new spin on it.

Here is a huge list of clichés, the plan is to pick one and use it to write two poems, one free form, the second a form of your choice (please identify the form when submitted). Your chosen cliché can be the title or it can appear in the body of your poem – or both, use it as you want but it has to be the same cliché for both your poems.

Mer’s challenge finishes on May 20th at the latest so I propose to set the dead line for submissions to the cliché challenge on June 17th, extended to the 24th if nec.

PM submissions to me as usual, I’ll post them on 17th or 24th “author unknown” to allow a few days for speculation and then the big reveal. Anybody interested?

Last edited:
Yes! I'll try it. That list fascinates me. Cliches are fun to turn inside out. :D

I've just found a mistake on that list lol They've got it down as to tell a prokie and it's not it's to tell a porky which originally came from Cockney slang 'to tell a porky pie' ...... a lie!

Last edited:
I've just found a mistake on that list lol They've got it down as to tell a prokie and it's not it's to tell a porky which originally came from Cockney slang 'to tell a porky pie' ...... a lie!

It irritates me how many of them are deemed U.S. Most of them are very much British. As far as I can see the only English ones are Shakespeare quotations. :rolleyes:

When, and if, you submit the poems (one free form the other a form of your choosing) please could you identify the clichéd saying you choose and also what the form is.

Bumping up the page for those who may have missed it and as a reminder for the procrastinators among us. :D I should add the list is just to prompt your muse, please use any recognisable cliché.

As Mer's challenge endsI have another suggestion....albeit recycled and found on a wander through the archives but I’ve put a new spin on it.

Here is a huge list of clichés, the plan is to pick one and use it to write two poems, one free form, the second a form of your choice (please identify the form when submitted). Your chosen cliché can be the title or it can appear in the body of your poem – or both, use it as you want but it has to be the same cliché for both your poems.

I propose to set the dead line for submissions on June 17th, extended to the 24th if nec.

PM submissions to me as usual, I’ll post them on 17th or 24th “author unknown” to allow a few days for speculation and then the big reveal. Anybody interested?

Last edited:
Bumping up the page for those who may have missed it and as a reminder for the procrastinators among us. :D I should add the list is just to prompt your muse, please use any recognisable cliché.

I don't know if I can manage this at the moment

struggling to string anything together let alone bending my brain to a form

I will try but make no promises to complete anything

I know fully committed to not commiting :D

I don't know if I can manage this at the moment

struggling to string anything together let alone bending my brain to a form

I will try but make no promises to complete anything

I know fully committed to not commiting :D

Does this mean I have a bent brain? :D

Back