The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or accordion or bagpipe players.
"Accordions don't play Lady Of Spain -- people do!"
--official motto of the annual Cotati, CA accordion festival.

No accordions in my house, but I will admit to an East German concertina (squeezebox). I hardly ever play it though, I'll swear to that, honest!

As for bagpipes, they're total terrorist tools, sonic weapons designed to fill enemies' hearts with despair and dismay. The very sound is enough for one to drop their lance and shield and RUN! RUN! 'Tis not cowardice, to flee the pipes.

We need pipers stationed around Tromp Tower. But I digress.

I lust for more small stringed instruments. An Andean charango, even without the armadillo-shell body. A bowed psaltery. Tahitian and Fijian 'ukes. A real Venezuelan quatro -- but I could start with a baritone 'uke strung like one. A balalaika. A dulcitar (dulcimer stringing on a mini-guitar-like body.) I've been looking at some cheap traditional Japanese lutes. And a pocket 'uke.

"Is that an 'ukulele in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

Oh fuck, I need coffee. Well, four chocolate-covered almonds remain...

As for the difference, you'd have to ask someone smarter than me.
Pete Seeger quoted an old-time banjo picker as saying, "Hell, thar ain't no notes on a banjar! Ya just PLAY!" A violinist plays notes. A fiddler plays.

Chili and cornbread for dinner.

UPDATE - Winter storm. High winds. Trees down. Power out. UPS will die soon, taking out WiFi and DSL. This tablet will be useless soon. Sayonara...

Last edited:
Saw a wreck up close and personal on the way home tonight, she hit the wall in front of me . . . then beside me, but I managed to avoid contrbuting. Dinner came with plenty of wine tonight.

Saw a wreck up close and personal on the way home tonight, she hit the wall in front of me . . . then beside me, but I managed to avoid contrbuting. Dinner came with plenty of wine tonight.

Catch your breath and relax, and be glad you weren't her.

Hypoxia - a clue.

There is a clue in the Sydney Morning Herald Cryptic crossword today (Tuesday) which reads: "Musician to prohibit Support" ;)

Well, my birthday is about over and my best present is I'm feeling much better. Housemate and houseguest are both sleeping soundly and I soon will be.

A fresh pot is ready for the morning crew. Ya'll have a good night.

Well, my birthday is about over and my best present is I'm feeling much better. Housemate and houseguest are both sleeping soundly and I soon will be.

A fresh pot is ready for the morning crew. Ya'll have a good night.

Happy Birthday, glad you are feeling better.

Lemme guess! Lemme guess! "Bagpiper?"

Well the answer has 8 letters but that ain't it. Remember that each word in the clue has relevance. The Poms and Aussies should get it because cryptic is their style of crossword, wheras American crosswords tend towards general knowleddge.

There is a clue in the Sydney Morning Herald Cryptic crossword today (Tuesday) which reads: "Musician to prohibit Support" ;)
I'll go with Flautist or Banjoist. Too bad Drummer won't fit.

Q: How can you tell when the drum platform is level?
A: The drummer drools from both sides of his mouth.

Then there are the classical takes:

Q: How many sopranos are needed to change a light bulb?
A: One to replace the bulb, and three to kick the chair from under her.

Q: What's the difference between a tenor and an orca?
A: Twentyfive pounds and a tuxedo.

Q: What is the definition of a semitone?
A: Two oboes playing in unison.

Wish I did crosswords; (I never understood the cryptics at all).
It's grim cloud this morning; Coffee please

Morning all,

It is cloudy and raining here. Our high for the day of 71 was three or four hours ago. Temp headed down toward 50 as I type. Bear went across the pond and someone left that friggin door open to the north pole again. :rolleyes:

OH yeah, fresh hot coffee is now available, that is if I don't drink it all.

Morning all,

It is cloudy and raining here. Our high for the day of 71 was three or four hours ago. Temp headed down toward 50 as I type. Bear went across the pond and someone left that friggin door open to the north pole again. :rolleyes:

OH yeah, fresh hot coffee is now available, that is if I don't drink it all.

We are told we'll have a similar problem in the next few days. I ain't looking forward to it.
Meanwhile, I think it's time for a cup of tea.

We are told we'll have a similar problem in the next few days. I ain't looking forward to it.
Meanwhile, I think it's time for a cup of tea.

What they say out in the Texas panhandle is "There ain't nothin' 'tween here and the north pole but barbed wire, and that blowed down."

I'll go with Flautist or Banjoist. Too bad Drummer won't fit.

Musician to Prohibit Support

To Prohibit is to Ban.

Joist is a Support thus Banjoist is the answer.

And some folks maintain that a Banjoist is a musician - opinions vary.:)

First we had thunderstorms. Then we lost power. Lights were back on in the night. Today the internet was out. But I managed to do some writing so it wasn't all bad.

What they say out in the Texas panhandle is "There ain't nothin' 'tween here and the north pole but barbed wire, and that blowed down."
In Kansas it was, "...barbed wire, but all the barbs is turned with the wind." And, "Kansas weather: Too hot and too windy, or too cold and too windy."

Musician to Prohibit Support

To Prohibit is to Ban.

Joist is a Support thus Banjoist is the answer.

And some folks maintain that a Banjoist is a musician - opinions vary.:)
I got lucky, then.

First we had thunderstorms. Then we lost power. Lights were back on in the night. Today the internet was out. But I managed to do some writing so it wasn't all bad.
High winds, trees down here. Power was out through most of the night. DSL was down but landlines were up but we don't use modems now so tough on us. Around 2am I took my flashlight to a wired phone and called PG&E's number to get a repair time estimate. Right then, power came back on. Too bad I can't play that trick regularly.
_____

Meanwhile, it's that time again. A long drive to the med center early tomorrow for a heart procedure, "cardiac cath," an angiogram with a camera on a cable stuck into a vein and angled heartward to see what's there. I might end up with a stent, which is like surgery, and I dislike surgery, but tough on me. And I don't even get to take an 'uke along. [/me whines] A stent won't fix the main problem but it gives the cardiologists something to occupy their time.

Maybe I can have coffee again in a few days. [/me hopes]

Good luck with the photo shoot. (Californians make a photo op out of everything.) A friend in Florida had a stent put in a couple of weeks ago. Other than a little soreness and some weakness blamed on one of the medications they gave her, she feels much better.

My closest neighbor died today. She was 92 and went peacefully in her sleep. She made a mean peach cobbler. A very nice lady that will be missed. I guess that is one of the best things people can say about a person.

Fresh coffee for the evening crowd. I slept a lot of the day so I'm confused on which I am.

Good luck with the photo shoot. (Californians make a photo op out of everything.)
Thanks. I'll need lighting, makeup, costume, nose candy, the whole schmeer. My last photo-op involved a knee. I have the film. Quite colorful, with good pacing, but portrayal was weak. I blame meds.

A friend in Florida had a stent put in a couple of weeks ago. Other than a little soreness and some weakness blamed on one of the medications they gave her, she feels much better.
I look forward to only mild post-op discomfort. I look forward to a reindeer-hauled sleigh on my roof, too. Sure. Maybe they'll let me have coffee and wine in a few days? [/me almost prays]

My closest neighbor died today. She was 92 and went peacefully in her sleep. She made a mean peach cobbler. A very nice lady that will be missed. I guess that is one of the best things people can say about a person.
We've lost a few, too. Cutest next-door gal was Della, whose ranch house was filled with images and models of... lighthouses. Because she'd been long-married to a lighthouse keeper.

Meanwhile, I've been assessing my 'ukulele needs. A dozen more should do. And then the other small instruments I mentioned. Maybe I need a GoFundMe schtick. Is "crowdsourced 'ukulele mania" a thing?

Last edited:
High winds, trees down here. Power was out through most of the night. DSL was down but landlines were up but we don't use modems now so tough on us. Around 2am I took my flashlight to a wired phone and called PG&E's number to get a repair time estimate. Right then, power came back on. Too bad I can't play that trick regularly.
_____

Meanwhile, it's that time again. A long drive to the med center early tomorrow for a heart procedure, "cardiac cath," an angiogram with a camera on a cable stuck into a vein and angled heartward to see what's there. I might end up with a stent, which is like surgery, and I dislike surgery, but tough on me. And I don't even get to take an 'uke along. [/me whines] A stent won't fix the main problem but it gives the cardiologists something to occupy their time.

Maybe I can have coffee again in a few days. [/me hopes]

I have visions of you, with loads of tubes going here and there, sitting propped up in your sickbed, going plink-a-plink on a 'uke to the amused amazement of all within range.

Good luck with the photo shoot. (Californians make a photo op out of everything.) A friend in Florida had a stent put in a couple of weeks ago. Other than a little soreness and some weakness blamed on one of the medications they gave her, she feels much better.

Fresh coffee for the evening crowd. I slept a lot of the day so I'm confused on which I am.

Did you mention coffee ?
Oh good; I need some of that this morning. I heard last night that an old Ex-RAF Radar mechanic had succumbed to his age (97) and gone to final rest.

Griim weather we're havin'. . . .

Last edited:
I have visions of you, with loads of tubes going here and there, sitting propped up in your sickbed, going plink-a-plink on a 'uke to the amused amazement of all within range.
I've considered that myself. Sneaking an 'uke might be difficult. Maybe I'll try a harmonica or kazoo or jews-harp.

Wait! I have a little solid-walnut ocarina that's a neck ornament. I'll pretend it's jewelry. I can pipe a plaintive rendition of Your Cheating Heart or Ray Charles' Unchain My Heart or maybe that C&W classic You Done Walked On My Heart (And You Stomped That Sucker Flat). The lyrics I remember:
Yes, you walked on my har-art
You tore it all apart
Darlin', you just sorta
Tromped on my a-or-or-ta

I feel that squishing underfoot; I knew we'd drift apart
And every step you took was a stomp upon my heart.​
They don't write-em like that anymore. It'll surely entertain other cardiac patients. Right? Right.

It is 3:30 in the frigging morning. What am I doing awake? Oh yeah, I slept most the day away, so... :eek:

Morning HP. It is cold, wet, and windy here and ain't supposed to get over 40 for the next couple of days. I'm working on a large mug of hot chocolate at the present.

Hypoxia, my friend in Florida said it felt more like and elephant sitting on her chest than someone stomping on it. This lady would know about weight on her chest as she had a rather well endowed one.

Okay, I'll even freshen up the coffee for the later morning crew.

I've been leaving my sunglasses in the truck at night. I need to get over that. Temperature was in the 20F's this morning. Not only did the glasses fog up as soon as I put them on, they froze my face while they were at it.

The weather service thinks we have a chance of snow flurries tomorrow morning. It's one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' predictions because we haven't had any moisture since October.

Good evening all,
We've got the wind; the temperature's not too bad.
Tomorrow night we are due some freezing (and maybe snow).
I ain't looking forward to it.
Eat, Drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may by negotiating with St Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back