Is rewriting another author's old story acceptable or not?

1. Among the more amusing bits of feedback that I have had over the years are the (sometimes quite detailed) accounts of how I should have written the story.

2. It's not the least bit tricky. The answer is No unless you can obtain a Yes from the original author. It's your responsibility to get an active Yes. Pretty simple, really.

1. I have had numerous comments, usually from anonymous, about how unrealistic my stories are.

Those comments are normally on my femdom work, pointing out that anon would ditch/divorce/kill the bitch; or that the hero is a wimp/pathetic Brit/pussy. Anon expects me to rewrite the whole story as a male dominated fantasy.

The other sort of anon comments are that the story is implausible. No 'real' man would behave like that - the definition of a real man is implied. The idea that a story can be fiction or fantasy seems intolerable.

Anon continues to detail how I should rewrite the story to fit his prejudices and preconceptions. :D

2. My stories rewritten and expanded from the German translations were done with the explicit approval of the original author.

The story based on Piers Anthony's short 'The Bridge' was not. The story is not a re-use of his story but used his original idea to go much further. I would class it as fan fiction. I was and am uncomfortable with it. The story has been stalled for years. I should really rewrite chapters 1 and 2 completely to make a reasonable conclusion possible or delete them.

Well, if borrowing plots is plagiarism, Shakespeare is in big trouble, because many of his plays are re-tellings of popular stories of the time.

But here's the thing: Marlowe and Goethe both told the story of Faust, but took it in different directions, with different characterizations and style, so that it's impossible to confuse the two. In that sense, Goethe was writing an original work. If a writer can bring that degree of originality to another writer's story, I don't see the harm in it.

You get into a different area with things like Star Trek pastiches, because those titles and characters are trademarks. Whole 'nother thing there.

Well, if borrowing plots is plagiarism, Shakespeare is in big trouble, because many of his plays are re-tellings of popular stories of the time.

But here's the thing: Marlowe and Goethe both told the story of Faust, but took it in different directions, with different characterizations and style, so that it's impossible to confuse the two. In that sense, Goethe was writing an original work. If a writer can bring that degree of originality to another writer's story, I don't see the harm in it.

I don't have an issue with that; one of these days I have a mind to do a retelling of one of the kinkier Arabian Nights tales. But I got the sense that the OP was talking about a much closer rewrite, where the changes are at the level of wording rather than those broader matters.

You get into a different area with things like Star Trek pastiches, because those titles and characters are trademarks. Whole 'nother thing there.

putting a spin on a common plot line isn't what the OP is talking about, they are talking taking an existing story and just tweaking it.

I don't have an issue with that; one of these days I have a mind to do a retelling of one of the kinkier Arabian Nights tales. But I got the sense that the OP was talking about a much closer rewrite, where the changes are at the level of wording rather than those broader matters.

I somehow doubt anyone would raise a fuss about an adaption of a story from 1001 nights; it was written some time around the 8th century, I believe.
Mr Briggs mucking about with something a lot more recent would be a real crime, IMO.

putting a spin on a common plot line isn't what the OP is talking about, they are talking taking an existing story and just tweaking it.

Sad, ain't it

Hi! I love Literotica and the stories on here. There are many stories I feel have great ideas but the direction or execution aren't what turn me on. So it got me thinking.... Is rewriting another author's older story acceptable or unacceptable? I'd give full credit of course. Just curious if this would be ok to do.

I don't have time to write stories from scratch. But could probably tweak some existing stories with some interesting changes. Would like to hear your feedback.

I can tell you that at least one author had his account banned for doing just that. He did not have the permission of the original author, indeed he was asked to change the names and location but refused to do so. His story was taken down so he posted the entire story in his profile. Account was banned.

If you really want to do this, then come to an agreement with the author of the original. Better still write your own story.

I somehow doubt anyone would raise a fuss about an adaption of a story from 1001 nights; it was written some time around the 8th century, I believe.

And rewritten many times since - I have a couple of significantly different versions of the story I'm looking at, so at that point it's not so much "theft" as "following a noble literary tradition" ;-)

Interesting i never thought people felt so highly of their work here. I can see a small handful who take it seriously but that imo would be <10%. Maybe i'm wrong.

My bad obviously

You are totally wrong.

They don't always think that highly of their stories here, just a justifiable pride and 'parental' affection.

Good or bad, they own them and don't want them violated by a literary rapist.

As Laurel has said on another thread, copyright should be protected.

Stay away unless you have the author's clear agreement.

I reckon 100% of writers here, good bad or indifferent, would hope you'd accepted copyright law - just look at Laurel's heroic efforts with Amazon.

In that case, I'm with you and lovecraft 100%. It's unethical, unless you get the original writer's blessing to do it.

I've actually been thinking about this a lot. There was an old RP I used to read that was left unfinished, but it was so good that I wanted to take the idea and make a story from that. I write fanfiction, which takes characters, locations, and even the history of the subject I'm using them and places them in a setting and story I create. However, I do feel that taking an entire story and rewriting it to be pushing the envelope a little. If you make it original in some way I see no harm, but if you're taking the whole thing and just putting it into different words, I feel that's wrong. The part of writing I love most is the creation aspect. Taking something and creating a world around it using solely your imagination. It may borrow parts of other things, but the sum of all those parts is yours.

The vast majority here is saying no and I feel rightly so, but I bet E.L James would argue the point:rolleyes:

What are your Views on the writing of a sequel to an existing story by another author, or perhaps to a long unfinished story?

The characters names, locations etc might remain broadly the same but the story could be entirely new.

What are your Views on the writing of a sequel to an existing story by another author, or perhaps to a long unfinished story?

The characters names, locations etc might remain broadly the same but the story could be entirely new.

Would that not be "an original work" ?
Obviously, due credit to the original.

Back