The Tattoo Artist (closed)

Lexa just smirked.

Like you walking around in our home like you already owned it and we should huddle around grateful wasn't?

Gesturing around the room.

Figured you seeing those that call this place home and the history here would enlighten you to people outside of your own little world.

Figured you seeing those that call this place home and the history here would enlighten you to people outside of your own little world.

Travis’ jaw worked again as he ground his molars, this was not at all how he’d been envisioning this night going. Instead again he found himself outfoxed by this woman, he knew she’d played this game before, and as much as it pissed him out at being out maneuvered the more his respect for this woman rose. In the 17 years since he’d gotten into real estate and made his fortune no one had been able to do to him and his plans what this woman had done in just a single month. Now here he was again, finding himself at a loss for words, the hairs on his neck standing on end as he watched her, unable to muster something intelligent to say he took a drink of his Rum and sat back contemplating. “you, Lexa, are an interesting woman, I must say, you an an excellent chess player….” He finished off his drink in a single swig, enjoying the burn of it down his throat and felt himself relax a bit “im not as bad as you seem to think I am, and yes, finding myself quiet out foxed I have had to reconsider my plans, “ he sat forward “but I don’t think im ready to call check mate yet,”

He set his glass down, smiling now, the alcohol warming his body he draped his arm over the back of his chair, “ you quiet have aroused my interest and curiosity in regards to you..…..as young as you are, you’re not Mafia, not gang, no affiliation or connection to anything I can find, yet I have noticed that everyone here both respects, and fears you in equal parts, I find that a fun puzzle, “ he cocked his head to one side, giving her a sly teasing grin, and he wasn’t lying, the more they butted heads, the more she continued to one up him, the more he wanted to know her. “youre a fascinating enigma, “

Well if I am such a puzzle you clearly have questions... Why not man up and ask them?

She just sat back down in a shot of bourbon with a smile.

Why not man up and ask them? Travis’ face blanked as he sat back, a tick beginning at the corner of his eye, “man up huh?? Seems like a low blow” his voice had lost its humor as he looked at her, finishing his drink “Fine, you want me to ask? Who the fuck are you? Ive never met someone that seems to have an entire city scared to cross her, no matter what I pay, who I talk to, not a single person will talk about you.” His face twisted into a grimace, “Ive never had someone fight me so hard for a piece of land as you have, “ his hand idly stroked over the tattoo she’d given him as it began to itch slightly then he dropped his hand back to the table “you have me more then fucking curious about you now” he grew silent as the waitress came back and he ordered another drink, looking over the menu as his stomach began to growl

As I told you... my family lived on this land long before the town was here. We permitted the town be built on our land gifting it to the miners who came looking for gold or coal whatever they could find.

She shrugged.

As for fear I don't think they fear me they just know I will hold them to the town charter for the sake of the families that call this very first part of the town home.

Travis sat back, swirling his drink around in his hand, watching her, he still got the feeling she was hiding something, he was good at reading people, had to be in his line of work, they sat in silence for a while as they ate, Travis had to admit though he thoroughly enjoyed the food, he had been to every restaurant in town, although not much of a bar fly given his own personal bar at his penthouse, this food indeed seemed to top it. Sitting back as he casually wiped his mouth with his napkin and licked his lips, “Fine, lets say I believe you, and there seems to be a ring of truth to your words, but your eyes give you away, I still feel there is something more, I mean, im only human but ive gotten good in my negotiations at reading people, and I still think there is something more youre not sharing, something more personal, I was delirious and in pain that first night, but a women like you doesn’t command the kind of respect that that burly biker guy showed to you, or the respect and almost reverence ive picked up on from the patrons of this establishment, and yes I noticed the lowered gazes, and signs of respect. “ he tossed his napkin on his plate and sat back, arm resting over the back of the chair as he took on a casual relaxed pose “You seem to have far more connections in this town then even I do, while not in itself unusual, I mean come on, “ he motioned to everything around them “be honest with me, its not like im going to spread your secrets around town, ill be found dead in a dumpster before dawn tomorrow if I peg you correctly, you carry an air of power and nobility about you,” he peaked an eyebrow at her

Let's just say the family name carries alot... Alot of weight. You I am sure checked any mob in this town and didn't find any dating back to ever right. That is not to say they didn't try. My great great great grandmother... Had a way with words and knives if I remember the story correctly that they couldn't refuse and wanted to be no where near. As for the MC they are little more than vetrans wanting a place and a family that makes sense to them.

She shrugged and finished her food.

Now why is changing every piece of land you see so damned important to you?

Now why is changing every piece of land you see so damned important to you? Travis should have seen that question coming, Lexa was a very sharp, very smart women, again his jaw worked, grinding his molars, looking up he caught the waitress eye and motioned for another drink, she just rolled her eyes and he frowned for a minute before he turned back, “You really have to ask that? I mean come on, the waterfront’s been abandoned now for how many years? Fallen into Disrepair, buildings becoming condemned,” he sighed, it wasn’t really a bullshit answer, finishing the last of his drink he chewed on an ice cube “you obvioiusly haven’t looked into what ive been doing, and have done, Parks, Low income housing, low cost amusement parks, office space with a view. The Countries infrastructure is growing, Storage, warehousing, more jobs, I mean, come on” he said, again finding his eyes wandering around the establishment, his brows furrowing some, as he studied some of the others around them

Yeah... You and so many more like you who are more than willing to demolish and wipe out history in the name of progress for your own wallets. Not even once thinking of the people who get tossed aside or the true story of a place that it's older buildings and architecture can share. Why keep the ancient beauty and individuality of a place when you can just toss up some cookie cutter replicated soulless cheap monstrosity of a building.

She shook her head and nodded for more drinks for both of them with a look that basically requested that the outsider with her should still be shown true Silver Songbird hospitality.

Travis had to fight back the growl of annoyance and found himself rubbing the bridge of his nose, she was still assuming he was like every other monopoly man out there looking to turn a profit, and the fact was while he had a penthouse he owned, nice cars and a personal assistant, the vast majority of his money from bonds, land titles, permits, and property income was funneled to charities and needy families. Very little of his “profits” actually lined his own pockets, but the spark of anger still lit his eyes as he glared at her, his jaw working as he ground his teeth together but finally a growl of anger as he slapped the table, harder then he actually wanted to but it was still one of his worst triggers was to be compared to other greedy fucking morons in the world “you’re WRONG” he snapped “Yes, I made some seriously bad misjudgments about you and ive never been good with apologies,” running his hands through his hair he yanked his tie off and tossed it on the table, not caring that all eyes in the place where on him, “Wanting to take you to dinner was my peace offering, but NEVER compare me to those other greedy fucks who do what I do just for profit, I don’t profit off of ANYTHING I fucking do, Anything” His face flushed, he couldn’t seem to reign himself in, she’s tripped something in him that had sent his anger boiling “I try and help people, not fuck them over like ive been fucked over…………….”

Travis’ body twitched like he’d been shocked, slamming his mouth shut as that slipped out he was on his feet, swallowing hard he grabbed the suit jacket off the back of his chair “we’re done” pulling out his wallet he threw down $200 not caring if he way over paid for their meal, he looked around, seeing the uneasy looks on faces, anger and more then one looking like they were ready to fight him “you all wish to live in this run down, rat race you call miner’s row, fine, yes ive noticed the looks heard the snide comments directed to me while ive sat here, Im sorry for actually wanting to try and make things better for you all, guess being the nice guy is a dead cause” Travis knew he needed to just shut up and get his temper under control, hell he wouldn’t be surprised if someone killed him before he even made it to the door but he walked out anyway, shaking his head, he didn’t know why he’d just snapped, images of his childhood flashing but he buried it, he’d never lost it like this before. Just something about what she’d said tripped a trigger he didn’t know he’d had, it wasn’t long before he found himself wandering away from Miner’s row and down to the pier, looking out over the water.

She hid her fangs well at his temper. She had ripped through outsiders for far less than that. The old woman walked over to her and placing a hand on her shoulder after he was gone.

He sees only through human eyes and can't see this part of town as it truly is.. Remember that and remember your combative protectiveness of this place. I saw the sway to your eyes... You want another human it is natural when you sense they could be capable of comprehending so much more.

Lexa hissed but welcomed the silver liquid placed before her.

Travis just stood there, staring out over the water, anger burning deep as he paced, everything he’d ever done was to try and help people, he didn’t care about money, about controlling over people, she claimed he didn’t understand their way of thinking, or understand their past and the history. Couldn’t even afford him the same courtesy, well, courtesy in his point of view to even understand what he did and where he came from, granted he found absolutely zip about her. But her proud demeanor and staunch determination to keep everything the way it was had baffled him, anyone else would have jumped at the offer, everyone else HAD jumped at the offer. But not her, why? With a cry of frustration, he kicked a stone and gave a bellow. Breathing hard he felt his shoulders slump, god, a woman could drive a man to drink, running his hand through his hair he straightened, Why was she getting to him? What the hell was it about her that drove him absolutely insane? He should just accept defeat and walk away, he had the water front, that was what he wanted. But now, having met her, argued with her, hell not so much arguing as verbal sparring.

Again Travis found himself walking, consumed in his thoughts, anger and frustration driving him, the sun was all but down as shadows and the night air cooled. He made his way down, closer to the water, Christ he hadn’t walked the waterfront or these rocks since he was a child living on the streets, his thoughts shifting back to his childhood, he could imagine himself on these rocks, climbing and running for hours, playing in the water, and it brought a small curve to his lips, nostalgia taking hold as he walked the shore, not caring he was still in his suit, guided by the moonlight, the city left behind in his thoughts. He really hadn’t been riled up since before…………………………… Travis blinked as his gaze lifted, finding himself at an large cave formation and he frowned, he never remembered this cave, and looked around, frowning more as he realized just how far he’d actually walked and glanced at his watched, it had been nearly 2 hours since he’d stormed out of the bar and he blinked in surprise. “wow….time flies when your pissed….” He said to no one in particular. Now however his curiosity was pulling at him, this didn’t appear to be a man made cave, or city run off, he knew he should probably turn around and head back to his car, or at least find out where the fuck he was and call a taxi, and had reached for his phone, then he looked to the cave again then looked around.

“well………I AM already here………….just a quick peek……” he spoke aloud, he knew he needed to turn around, he didn’t know who or what might be in there, but even as a kid he had a hard time ignoring the part of him that liked exploring and he flipped his phones flashlight function on. “just a quick peek” he said again, before he slowly made his way in “HELLLOOO???” he called, “Anyone home?!?!” he called again, listening to the echo of his voice, he sniffed the air, but all he smelled was Must, and stale water. Swallowing he looked around again “fortune favors the bold…” he muttered and proceeded in, his dress shoes not really equipped to handle terrain like this but well….. .. He was careful as he made his way slowly into the cave, the back of his head telling him he needed to get the fuck out of there, the other half of him too curious and dumb to wanna turn around. In very short ordered the floor and walls seemed to smooth out, and he guessed he had entered into the mines that Lexa was so adamant about protecting. Now more curious then ever he looked around, the light from his phone barely enough to see 5 feet in front of him. He found old mine carts, tools and equipment left behind from what he assumed was when the mine was functional. It was only as he was turning a corner his light caught something on the wall and he stopped, shinning his light on the walls, rough carvings in the mine wall.

“what is this?” he muttered as he lifted his hand brushing away some of the dust, he couldn’t make things out at first, but he followed the markings and they became clearer the deeper he went. Drawings of…snakes? Serpents? What? A cobra? Travis frowned some, patting his pockets he found the small pen flash light he kept in on him and flipped it on, the light from it brighter then his phone he looked back up at the wall, “snakes? Are these people? “ he continued to speak aloud as he touched the drawings, each one more and more detailed, “the old miner’s down here were weird, worshipping snakes?, “ as he continued to stare at the drawings he frowned as they grew more complex, to him it looked like one picture was of a snake, but it had arms???, or looked like it, the head of a cobra with the mane puffed out maybe?? Shaking his head he looked around “ummmm….Fuck..?...now..how do I get out of here?” Travis began looking around, shinning the light on the ground, he could barely make out his own foot prints…. “ummm….Travis…..youre an idiot……again, gotten yourself into an oh shit what am I doing situation…”

An old man with a few animal traps over his back and a half crazed chuckle wandered over from the way he had come.

Biggest critter I ever seen get lost in here.

He laughed again and pointed.

Just keep going that way but know the cops have a boat that patrols to make sure people don't disturb this place.

Biggest critter I ever seen get lost in here Travis let out a less then masculine shout of surprise as the old man came out of the shadows, pressing himself back against the rough stone the light landed on the man “what the fuck…. where the fuck, who? Fuck” he panted hard, his heart racing as he swallowed hard “where did you come from? I didn’t see or hear anyone else, “slowly his breathing evened out, a few more hard swallows “you seem familiar with this place, are you one of the original inhabitants too? Like Lexa and her lot? can you tell me anything about this snake drawings? I don’t understand them, “the questions just continued to tumble from his mouth, if the guy knew his way around maybe he knew more, and he just didn’t know why he was so much more interested now that he’d seen the wall markings.

Just keep following the wall you trying to put your backside through. My great granddaddy was one of the first Miner's here. I come in here and help any little critters out who fell down old vent shafts or found their way here through the mouth. Never found no body snooping around though.

He looked to the cave art.

Natives probably put all that here cave paintings and such. Never had any use for it so never really looked at it.

Travis just growled as he calmed down, the mans refusal to answer any questions and continuing to tell him to leave just frustrated him more, but at least he had something to go back to lexa with. With a defeated sigh he made his way back and found his way out, only as the man had told him, got greeted by a flood light blinding him and people identifying themselves as police. He blinked rapidly to try and clear his vision as he felt hands grab him and force him to his knees. It took another few minutes for his vision to clear and the police and their boat could be brought into focus. Sighing he inwardly cursed and identified himself, Police asking him what he was doing down here when this area was off limits, he lied and told them he had come to investigate the area before he decided to build and he had the contract to reform the waterfront. Despite his best to charm and bluff his way out of trouble he was cuffed and brought back to shore. Where he was transferred to a car and brought to a holding cell where they would contact the mayor and would seek to press trespassing charges, Growling he demanded his phone call, then as an after thought while on the phone with his secretary about contacting his lawyer he informed her to seek out and tell Lexa what happened. When she asked why he just told her to do it.

She had been curled up sleeping happy sated and naked by her partner when he nudged her.

Lexa... The suit has his secretary calling now. Idiot got himself caught snooping the cave near the river. Gotta wake up. She wants to talk to you.

Lexa hissed but took the phone.

Hello... I see... And just what does he expect me to do about that
He is the one who stormed out on dinner in an area he know nothing about. Perhaps a day or two to cool that temper and ego would do him some good.

She hung up the phone looking to her clearly hungry again partner and smiled.

Put a call in to Jacob to keep an eye on him and join me in the tub.

Travis paced the cell, growing increasingly frustrated until his lawyer showed up. After some time and some rather tense discussion, Travis was set free after he paid his bond, and was more irritated at having to show up to court the following morning. Explaining thing to the judge he was given a not too subtle fine and a warning to stay out of the area, he returned to his apartment. With a sigh he took a good long hot shower and soaked feeling the tension in his shoulders and the beginnings of a really nice headache he let his mind wander, images kept returning of Lexa, to the people in the bar and their conversation, and with even more annoyance and hind sight, just how much of a bastard he’d been to just go off on her like that. He’d never been one to lose his temper, and always considered himself a calm, collected individual, and here he’d been, throwing a tantrum like a 2nd grader who’d had his bike stolen. Grudgingly he had to give Lexa credit. She’d remained cordial, a bit snarky and maybe a little cocky, but even in the face of his frustration, where everyone else had usually folded, and given him what he’d wanted for a big enough price. “I am an asshole’ he said to himself as he shut off the water and grabbed a towel and dried off. Opting for a pair of loose slacks and a tame dark colored polo shirt he called for his limo to be brought around, not really in the mood to want to drive, having to send a runner to fetch the car he’d again left parked in Miner’s row.

He stopped at an upscale boutique, and bought a small contingent of flowers, admitting to himself that ok, maybe it was cheesy, it was nearly mid afternoon when he once more returned to Miner’s row. Clearing his throat hesitantly he left the flowers in the car, hoping he could convince her this time to allow him to take her to dinner, he sucked in a deep breath then entered into the tattoo parlor once more, looking around, waiting to see if he was about to get his ass kicked or if he was even welcome, he tucked his hands into his pants “Hey uhhhh………Is Lexa around……..i uhhh……..shit, I came to apologize……….again……” his voice soft, apologetic, his shoulders slumping as he exhaled

Her partner growled a little.

LEXA... ROUND 3 I believe it is...

She walked out looking at him.

What now?

Travis didn’t miss the and nearly inhuman growl that came from the male, but shook his head at the Round 3 comment. Sighing as Lexa stalked in looking ready to take his head off his shoulders slumped and he exhaled a slow breath, his fingers going to the bridge of his nose rubbing softly, but his posture remained relaxed, almost defeated, “I uhhhh………….well I got thinking about what you said last night….i uhhh……….umm…I came to apologize……….to you………….him… “travis tilted his head towards the glaring male boring a hole into his head with his eyes “uhhh…..well shit….” He ran his hand through his hair, for once not sure what to say, under her intense stare “I’d lost sight of a lot of things in my life, ive only ever tried to help people, its been…………personal………….for me, to try and make things better for others, your adamant refusal to budge “ his voice dropping to a mutter” and a night in lock up” he cleared his throat “kinda, made me take a step back and have to examine myself and what ungodly reason you would have to refuse me. “ he sighed and rubbed his hand through his hair again a nervous gesture.

“Yea, id like to apologize, hell, honestly I don’t know why, but you’ve been in my thoughts quiet a bit lately and I cant seem to shake it, hell I’d get down on my knees and beg you if that’s what it took, and I don’t beg for anything, not anymore” he slammed his mouth shut on that last comment, not meaning to voice that thought as loudly as he did “I would…umm……well, I’d like to take you to dinner again, no more bullshit, no more games, just a man taking a beautiful women out for a nice dinner and a night on the town, and……..well………..a chance to get to know you………” a fine tremor ran through travis body as he glanced at the seething stare that the other man still directed at him, where his eyes glowing?

Every instinct said transform bite him as prey and toss him to the other creatures that called this area home and be done with him but instead she shrugged.

I'm feeling generous suit don't make me regret it. Let's go.

I'm feeling generous suit don't make me regret it. Let's go. Travis sighed, shaking his head, “please, I know ive been………..well……..yea………..my name is Travis not suit…, “ he stated lightly, as they walked outside, he had his limo waiting and he opened the door for her then got in himself. “I thought we’d find some where…..quieter, “ he held up his hand thinking she might argue “I know you don’t trust me, and well, I haven’t done much to improve that view, I am more then a suit, and I’d lost sight of that fact, you were right on that front.” The car began to move as they pulled away, “I thought I’d take you the Holtz steak house up town, its quieter with a good atmosphere and good drinks.” Travis was silent for a bit, and he just watched her, his thoughts in his eyes, “I guess I should say thank you to you as well, for smacking some sense into me, god knows my secretary was pretty haughty this morning” he sighed and rubbed his eyes again, “while I had some protestors against expanding and redeveloping of their properties and homes, I’d let myself lose sight of why I started this business in the first place, “ again he went quiet, debating, hesitant, he looked away and out the window “then I meet you one really, bad, night, I thought I was dead, and I wanted to repay you for helping me out, and yea, I didn’t get what you were trying to tell me, I wont excuse my behavior or my actions, because there isn’t one”

Well the way it looks... Travis... You became a suit. You became the spoiled little rich kid throwing tantrums and money around to get what he wanted. No one ever said no to suit for long because dollar signs kept climbing till suit got what it wanted.

To us money means very little. Our ancestry and history and our land mean more than money and you can't even fathom that can you?

The cave will be left alone won't it... Travis? The one the cops found you slinking out of is native soil we leave their ancient site alone.

She was through talking still not even sure why she was in this limo but she was at least for now. Only time would tell if he would become prey.

Travis just listened as she railed at him, usually he wouldn’t stand for someone talking to him the way she was, her voice was cold, condemning, Travis had been waiting for his anger to spark, for something to lash back at her with, he hated being talked down to, always had. But here, now in the quiet of the limo she called him on all that he had thought he’d been doing right. And reminding him of everything he’d done wrong instead, reminding him just why he’d been doing all of this in the first place and just how far he’d strayed from his own morals. By the time she stopped talking his shoulders had hunched in, and he stared at the floor between his feet, his eyes closed and he’d been swallowing hard. The cave will be left alone won't it... Travis? The one the cops found you slinking out of is native soil we leave their ancient site alone. Travis blinked as his head lifted, his eyes unable to hide the pain he was feeling at her ridicule. He swallowed then cleared his throat, nodding “uhh, yeaa…..yes, “ his shoulders slumped further as he exhaled “You’re right Lexa, as much as I hate to say it, “ he inhaled and sat back, his eyes still haunted “Youre right, I did lose sight of why I started my company, and let my drive to try and do what I thought was right to help other people, try to give people what I didn’t have, a better life….” He licked his lips then rolled his neck and shoulders, trying to loosen them as they had grown tight on him. “im………….sorry……….for what ive said, and what ive done……….i don’t think anyone else would have had to balls to give me the reality bitchslap you just did….” He smiled then, it was small, but just the slightest curve of his lips “so……….hungry?”

She listened but didn't know how much she believed. Suits like him we're good at rattling off whatever they thought people wanted to hear. Hearing him ask if she was hungry and nodded.

Sure... Why not.

She stared out the window stifling a hiss at leaving her lands.

Back