The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Hoildays 2018 Support Thread

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Posts
56,017
The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Holidays 2018 Support Thread

I am starting this thread now because this contest starts in less than a month. Writers should be thinking about Winter Holidays now to get a story submitted for the start.

Winter Holidays
themes: winter holiday traditions (dreidels, gift giving, etc.), cold weather (snow), holiday mythology (Santa, elves), etc.
starts: November 9
closes: December 7
winners announced: December 14

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the Winter Holidays Contest. Get your characters celebrating, Christmassy and sexy.

There is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests, apart from the possibility of winning, and that is that your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but some could be appreciative and helpful.
__________________


Extract from Welcome Authors! Please Read:

PLEASE NOTE: DO read ALL contest rules. We had many cases of authors not putting the proper phrase in the NOTES field, which meant that we couldn't find their submission and thus they were not entered in contests. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do read the special contest announcements when they are posted (usually around two weeks before the contest start).
__________________
 
Last edited:
One almost done, one started but I'm not sure if I'll ever finish it, one good idea that I've only got a couple of paragraphs on. We'll see.
 
I'm kind of afraid to open the file that contains all my old Holiday stories. It has been a while since the last time I looked and a few may have mutated over time. I'm not sure if I should bring the vacuum along or the pressure washer. Definitely a broom for backup. :eek:
 
I'm kind of afraid to open the file that contains all my old Holiday stories. It has been a while since the last time I looked and a few may have mutated over time. I'm not sure if I should bring the vacuum along or the pressure washer. Definitely a broom for backup. :eek:

Well seeing your old ass has been writing since the 1800's I can only imagine how many stories you have.;)
 
Well seeing your old ass has been writing since the 1800's I can only imagine how many stories you have.;)

I counted my unfinished stories recently and then closed my computer down and went back to bed. The number was too large for comprehension. And that's the 1770's you young whipper snapper. ;)

You made me realized I don't have a Grinch story.

<<<< Walks away swatting at plot bunny gnawing on his leg. :rolleyes:
 
Well, I'm thinking i'm going to have to write like crazy to get one in on top of everything else but hey, why not?
 
Was thinking about a story idea but I was looking at this rule,


"- All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately. If you have a multi-chaptered contest-themed submission, please submit all chapters together as one story submission. "

Does this include writing stories in a series universe that might have crossover characters from the series but not part of the main story?
 
Was thinking about a story idea but I was looking at this rule,


"- All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately. If you have a multi-chaptered contest-themed submission, please submit all chapters together as one story submission. "

Does this include writing stories in a series universe that might have crossover characters from the series but not part of the main story?
If it's stand-alone in terms of a story, but uses characters from your complete universe, you'd be okay. The aim of the rule is to prevent Chapter 39 of an on-going story cycle dominating a contest with a massive fan-base for that story.
 
I'm unearthing drafts from 2015 and 2016 to write possible entries.

However, I'm discovering why they weren't completed in those years. Back to the drawing board...
 
It took two days of writing when I really should have been doing other things, but I just finished the one I mentioned above that I thought I'd never finish. It's been kicking around for two years. Whew! Now off to take a shower.
 
Sure I'll drag out Christmas music and movies in October. Gonna open Cold Turkey and see how far I can get on a story idea rattling around in my head.
 
As above

Just a quick question.

It says you should enter "WINTER HOLIDAYS CONTEST 2018" verbatim in the Notes field during submission of stories.

My question: Should I INCLUDE the double quotes? Normally, we enter the same without quotes. But since it was not mentioned that quotes are to be ignored, I am asking for verification.

Do we have to put this in the notes field WITH the quotes, or WITHOUT the quotes?

Thank you in advance. --

HHL
 
I put it without the quotes too (and it works), but it's a good question.
 
Bump and a question on Umami

Only a few days to go.

My story is done and edited. It is not my normal pattern to be ready and waiting for the opening bell of a contest.

Question: the story centers around food and tasting. Umami plays an important, central role. Do readers know what Umami is, or would you recommend a quick definition at the beginning, like an author’s note?
 
“Umami? Ooh, Mommy!” has been submitted. 26K words. The category should be obvious.
Only two characters, they use a blind taste test as a launching point to overcome inhibitions and explore their fantasies.
 
I have one fair fragment and a couple of idea scraps that might make it. The voices in my head are not demanding output at the moment.
 
Two started. Let’s see if I get one done. Except an idea for a 3rd just popped into my head. Oh nooooooo
 
Hmmm, I've never entered any of these. I'm quite certain I'd have no possible way of winning, but I do have one sketched out that would fit. Might go in EC, Group, E/V or the ever present minefield of LW.

Maybe I should dig it out and touch it up.
 
Back
Top