In Memoriam

Linda Gregg (1942-2019)

Ms. Gregg won, among other honors, the PEN/Voelcker Award for poetry and several Pushcart Prizes. She taught at a variety of colleges and universities, including the University of Iowa, UC Berkeley, and Princeton. Here are two of her poems:
Winter Love

I would like to decorate this silence,
but my house grows only cleaner
and more plain. The glass chimes I hung
over the register ring a little
when the heat goes on.
I waited too long to drink my tea.
It was not hot. It was only warm.

Source: Chosen by the Lion (Graywolf Press, 1999)

Night Music

She sits on the mountain that is her home
and the landscapes slide away. One goes down
and then up to the monastery. One drops away
to a winnowing ring and a farmhouse where a girl
and her mother are hanging the laundry.
There’s a tiny port in the distance where
the shore reaches the water. She is numb
and clear because of the grieving in that world.
She thinks of the bandits and soldiers who
return to the places they have destroyed.
Who plant trees and build walls and play music
in the village square evening after evening,
believing the mothers of the boys they killed
and the women they raped will eventually come
out of the white houses in their black dresses
to sit with their children and the old.
Will listen to the music with unreadable eyes.

Source: All of It Singing (Graywolf Press, 2008)

Poet, translator, editor, antiwar activist. Co-founder of Copper Canyon Press.
The Orchid Flower
Sam Hamill

Just as I wonder
whether it’s going to die,
the orchid blossoms

and I can’t explain why it
moves my heart, why such pleasure

comes from one small bud
on a long spindly stem, one
blood red gold flower

opening at mid-summer,
tiny, perfect in its hour.

Even to a white-
haired craggy poet, it’s
purely erotic,

pistil and stamen, pollen,
dew of the world, a spoonful

of earth, and water.
Erotic because there’s death
at the heart of birth,

drama in those old sunrise
prisms in wet cedar boughs,

deepest mystery
in washing evening dishes
or teasing my wife,

who grows, yes, more beautiful
because one of us will die.

Source: Dumb Luck (2002)

I am quite fond of his work and know the press well. A Cascadia gem. :heart:
thank you for this post.

Main man of the Austin, TX band the 13th Floor Elevators; NBC's substantial obituary for him is here.
Requiescat in pace, Mr. Erickson.

So sorry to hear this news, especially with Roky and the band being in my thoughts after talking about the Elevators just a few days ago in the Local Music thread. I'm sad to discover, too, that Roky had so many struggles in his life.

Thank you for sharing these songs Tzara. :rose:. I am mostly familiar with the Easter Everywhere album, which a friend owned and played a lot. I always have loved (I've Got) Levitation , and don't miss a chance to post it (even like every few days lol). Listening to more of their music it seems clear that it's seminal. The Elevators, under Roky's stewardship, created a unique, "psyche rock" sound that is not the better known San Francisco bluesy trippy stuff, but edgy and harder, like the Kinks or Velvet Underground, all imho early punk progenitors.

And it seems strange that mixed with all that driving psychedelic proto-Punk music one hears folk rock, too. I guess the strange part is that it works. It's unexpectedly great to my ears.

He left quite a legacy. :heart:

75 years after D-Day

Salute
by oggbashan©

Salute

He's gone to join his ancient comrades,
Without ceremony or martial parades.
He slipped quietly away without a fuss
But left his painful memories for us.

Seventy years ago he watched his men die.
Now together with them he'll forever lie.
He landed alone, bereft, on Omaha Beach
His men drowning, out of his clutching reach.

He lived with the memory of those he had lost,
Never forgetting that peace has a bloody cost.
He lived and remembered to tell those at home
Always painfully remembering being there, alone.

Salute the brave warriors who lived and died
For our freedoms. Remember. Give thanks with pride.

My American friend was a commander of a DD (Swimming) Sherman Tank launched too far away from Omaha Beach into seas that were too rough. The tank, and its crew, sank underneath him. He was the only survivor, shedding all his equipment, he swam ashore with no weapons. He grabbed a rifle from a dead GI and was part if the breakout from the beach. By D-Day+1 he had another tank and crew but he never forgot the friends who had drowned.

Salute
by oggbashan©

Salute

He's gone to join his ancient comrades,
Without ceremony or martial parades.
He slipped quietly away without a fuss
But left his painful memories for us.

Seventy years ago he watched his men die.
Now together with them he'll forever lie.
He landed alone, bereft, on Omaha Beach
His men drowning, out of his clutching reach.

He lived with the memory of those he had lost,
Never forgetting that peace has a bloody cost.
He lived and remembered to tell those at home
Always painfully remembering being there, alone.

Salute the brave warriors who lived and died
For our freedoms. Remember. Give thanks with pride.

My American friend was a commander of a DD (Swimming) Sherman Tank launched too far away from Omaha Beach into seas that were too rough. The tank, and its crew, sank underneath him. He was the only survivor, shedding all his equipment, he swam ashore with no weapons. He grabbed a rifle from a dead GI and was part if the breakout from the beach. By D-Day+1 he had another tank and crew but he never forgot the friends who had drowned.

This is a lovely tribute, Ogg, to an heroic friend. We owe an unending debt of gratitude to him and his like.

Your friend's story resonates for me as my father, who was an aide with the Third Auxiliary Surgical Group, landed on Omaha Beach with the allies (as part of a medical battalion) on D-Day.

:rose:

I am heartbroken to learn that Dr. John, an iconic voice of New Orleans music, died early this morning at the age of 77.

He is one of my all-time favorites. Some of you know I wrote a poem about him and his world. RIP Mac.

There Must Be A Better World Somewhere
I also read about his death today. A great, and distinctive, artist. Let me add a couple clips:Requiescat in pace, Monsieur Rebennack.

Mac, I'm gonna' miss ya'. Hell, I already do.

Well, being a "native" New Orleanian, the good Doctor was a constant and iconic part of my everyday life. As some of you know, I'm an 'old timer', and have been listening to and "experiencing" that which was, is, and will continue to be ... "Dr. John" for a long, long, time. Those of you who've heard of "New Orleans music/sound" will know that he was a vital and constant part of it.

Way back in the dark ages, my junior high school held a 'dance', when I was in 7th or 8th grade and one morning as we all sat in homeroom, the principle made an announcement over the school P.A. system. The music provided for the upcoming dance would be "Mac Rebennack and his band". This was long before he became known as "Dr. John", maybe '58. Then, he actually sat in the principle's office and sang "Don't let the sun catch you crying" through that same P.A. system. Needless to say, the dance was one of the best we had. The memory of that bleary eyed morning so long ago has always stayed fresh in my mind.

Looking back now over all the times I've seen and heard him down through the years, at various dances, clubs, concerts, and many times at Jazzfest each Spring, I know that some things just won't be the same without him making an appearance. Yesterday, because I had to leave home early, I didn't know about his passing until I got a call from not one, but two friends, both with the sad news. Although the last couple of times I saw him, he was frail and having more than the usual trouble getting around, I was hoping he'd outlive me. Too many of my hometown "icons" have been leaving us lately. It's a sad and lengthening list. So much of what we enjoy and celebrate here just won't be the same without him, but he'll always be a legendary and necessary part of it all. His 'second line' will be historic. Yeah, you right!

Last edited:
I also read about his death today. A great, and distinctive, artist. Let me add a couple clips:Requiescat in pace, Monsieur Rebennack.

Love the jam with Johnny Winter! :rose:

I've been sifting through YouTube, looking for Dr. John stuff I'd not seen before and came across this great clip from the first tour of Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band. Check out the many luminaries in that group!

Well, being a "native" New Orleanian, the good Doctor was a constant and iconic part of my everyday life. As some of you know, I'm an 'old timer', and have been listening to and "experiencing" that which was, is, and will continue to be ... "Dr. John" for a long, long, time. Those of you who've heard of "New Orleans music/sound" will know that he was a vital and constant part of it.

Way back in the dark ages, my junior high school held a 'dance', when I was in 7th or 8th grade and one morning as we all sat in homeroom, the principle made an announcement over the school P.A. system. The music provided for the upcoming dance would be "Mac Rebennack and his band". This was long before he became known as "Dr. John", maybe '58. Then, he actually sat in the principle's office and sang "Don't let the sun catch you crying" through that same P.A. system. Needless to say, the dance was one of the best we had. The memory of that bleary eyed morning so long ago has always stayed fresh in my mind.

Looking back now over all the times I've seen and heard him down through the years, at various dances, clubs, concerts, and many times at Jazzfest each Spring, I know that some things just won't be the same without him making an appearance. Yesterday, because I had to leave home early, I didn't know about his passing until I got a call from not one, but two friends, both with the sad news. Although the last couple of times I saw him, he was frail and having more than the usual trouble getting around, I was hoping he'd outlive me. Too many of my hometown "icons" have been leaving us lately. It's a sad and lengthening list. So much of what we enjoy and celebrate here just won't be the same without him, but he'll always be a legendary and necessary part of it all. His 'second line' will be historic. Yeah, you right!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful reminiscence! I really enjoyed reading it. :rose:

[H]e actually sat in the principal's office and sang "Don't let the sun catch you crying" through that same P.A. system. Needless to say, the dance was one of the best we had. The memory of that bleary eyed morning so long ago has always stayed fresh in my mind.
To echo Angie, that was an awesome reminiscence. I've only quoted a part, because I'm linking in the good doctor performing "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying," though possibly a very different version than what you heard when you were young.

Very cool avatar, BTW. Like Japanese carp penises, or something.

Weird, but stylin'.

To echo Angie, that was an awesome reminiscence. I've only quoted a part, because I'm linking in the good doctor performing "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying," though possibly a very different version than what you heard when you were young.

Very cool avatar, BTW. Like Japanese carp penises, or something.

Weird, but stylin'.

Wow! So different from what I expected to hear and so good. Really soulful. Thanks!

Just had to add this amazing second line celebration in New Orleans. The main trumpeter is James Andrews, Trombone Shorty's older brother. It did my heart good to see this, the crowd and all those horns lifted in the traditional gesture of respect for a beloved local legend.

a june poem

“Knee-deep in June” James Whitcomb Riley (1849–1916)

I.

TELL you what I like the best
’Long about knee-deep in June,
’Bout the time strawberries melts
On the vines—some afternoon
Like to jes’ git out and rest,
And not work at nothin’ else!

II.

Orchard’s where I’ ruther be—
Needn’t fence it in for me!
Jes’ the whole sky overhead
And the whole airth underneath—
Sorto’ so ’s a man kin breath
Like he ort, and kindo’ has
Elbow-room to keerlessly
Sprawl out len’thways on the grass,
Where the shadows thick and soft
As the kivvers on the bed Mother fixes in the loft
Allus, when they’s company!

III.

Jes’ a sort o’ lazein’ ther
S’ lazy, ’at you peek and peer
Through the wavin’ leaves above,
Like a feller ’ats in love
And don’t know it, ner don’t keer! Ever’thing you hear and see
Got some sort o’ interest
Maybe find a bluebird’s nest
Tucked up there conveenently
Fer the boys ’ats apt to be
Up some other apple-tree!
Watch the swallers skootin’ past
Bout as peert as you could ast;
Er the Bobwhite raise and whiz
Where some other’s whistle is.

IV.

Ketch a shadder down below,
And look up to find the crow;
a hawk away up there,’
Pearantly froze in the air!
Hear the old hen squawk, and squat
Over every chick she ’s got,Sudden-like!
And she knows where
That-air hawk is, well as you!
You jes’ bet yer life she do!
Eyes a-glittering like glass,
Waitin’ till he makes a pass!

V.

Pee-wees’ singin’, to express
My opinion’s second class,
Yit you’ll hear ’em more er less;
Sapsucks gittin’ down to biz,
Weedin’ out the lonesomeness;
Mr. Bluejay, full o’ sass,
In them base-ball clothes o’ his,
Sportin’ ’round the orchard jes’
Like he owned the premises!
Sun out in the fields kin sizz,
But flat on your back, I guess,
In the shade’s where glory is!
That ’s jes’ what I ’d like to do
Stiddy for a year or two!

VI.

Plague! if they ain’t sompin’ in
Work ’at kindo’ goes agin
My convictions! ’long about
Here in June especially!
Under some old apple tree,
Jes’ a-restin’ through and through,
I could git along without
Nothin’ else at all to do
Only jes’ a-wishin’ you
Was a-gittin’ there like me,
And June was eternity!

VII.

Lay out there and try to see
Jes’ how lazy you kin be!
Tumble round and souse yer head
In the clover-bloom, er pull
Yer straw hat acrost yer eyes,
And peek through it at the skies,
Thinkin’ of old chums ’ats dead,
Maybe, smilin’ back at you
In betwixt the beautiful
Clouds o’ gold and white and blue!—
Month a man kin railly love
June, you know, I ’m talkin’ of! …

João Gilberto (1931-2019)

One of the originators or "founders" of bossa nova: guitarist, singer, and songwriter.

"Gilberto's father, upset by his son's bizarre singing style and refusal to take 'normal' work, had him committed to a mental hospital. In a psychological interview there, Gilberto stared out of the window and remarked 'Look at the wind ''depilating the trees."' The psychologist replied 'but trees have no hair, João,' to which Gilberto responded: 'and there are people who have no poetry.' He was released after a week." (Wikipedia).

Perhaps Gilberto's best-known work to USA audiences is "The Girl from Ipanema," in a recording that also featured the American saxophonist Stan Getz and Gilberto's (then) wife, Astrud: The Girl from Ipanema.

The song was something of a hit in the USA in 1962/63. It certainly made an impression on me (I was like ten years old at the time), both because of the rhythm of the piece, but perhaps mainly because of the dreamy, sexy vocals of Astrud.

In any case, descanse em paz, João.

One of the originators or "founders" of bossa nova: guitarist, singer, and songwriter.

"Gilberto's father, upset by his son's bizarre singing style and refusal to take 'normal' work, had him committed to a mental hospital. In a psychological interview there, Gilberto stared out of the window and remarked 'Look at the wind ''depilating the trees."' The psychologist replied 'but trees have no hair, João,' to which Gilberto responded: 'and there are people who have no poetry.' He was released after a week." (Wikipedia).

Perhaps Gilberto's best-known work to USA audiences is "The Girl from Ipanema," in a recording that also featured the American saxophonist Stan Getz and Gilberto's (then) wife, Astrud: The Girl from Ipanema.

The song was something of a hit in the USA in 1962/63. It certainly made an impression on me (I was like ten years old at the time), both because of the rhythm of the piece, but perhaps mainly because of the dreamy, sexy vocals of Astrud.

Thank you for sharing this. Here's one of my favorite Gilberto compositions, that to me is very cool and sensual: Aqua De Beber . :rose:

Thanks for sharing, and yes we must have been fossilized at about the the same time and I too reacted to Astrud's vocals. This tract with and Antonio Carlos Jobim and Frank sinatra is also good.

Cameron Boyce (1999 - 2019)

Luke has decided
to be like Jessie and let
himself be a movie star.

But suddenly, a
tragic accident had cut
the poor kid's life way too short.

Rutger Hauer (1944-2019)

Dutch actor, featured in Turkish Delight, Soldier of Orange, The Hitcher, and many other films. Most notably, in the iconic Blade Runner and one of my wife's favorite romantic movies, Ladyhawke.

I found this clip on YouTube, from early in his career, and I really like it, however silly it is.

A really distinctive actor. I always loved his work.

Harold Bloom 1930-2019

Harold Bloom, one of the world's great literary critics, died yesterday. He published more than 40 books, about half of them literary criticism. He was a defender of the traditional literary canon (i.e., Eurocentric literature written by white men), although he later became taken with the American Transcendentalists and then Jewish mysticism. His criticisms of writers outside his rather narrow strata of approval made him a pretty controversial guy, but he sold more in his genre than others. It should be noted too that he could be less dogmatic than he might appear (as the obit below demonstrates). Imho he was way more complex and nuanced than one might think.

I always thought the American academic community had a love-hate relationship with him. At my uber-feminist women's college he was always being excoriated for his negative comments on (Adrienne Rich especially), but everyone was reading him!

Here is a great interview with him from The Paris Review.

And here is an obituary from National Public Radio.

RIP

Clive James.

Clive James died on 24th November aged 80 a little more than 6 months after his fellow Australian poet Les Murray. A true polymath, literary and television critic, wit, brilliant story teller, speaker of half a dozen languages and translator of Dante. Best known as a television host of sparkling intelligence and producer of devastating one liners. Among many books, he wrote "Unreliable Memoirs," one of the most hilarious autobiographies ever.

Less well known to the general public were his lyrics and poetry. Some of his best poetry was very good and this amusing one actually achieved a degree of popular success.

https://web.cs.dal/~johnston/poetry/bookofmyenemy.html Except that the link doesn't work!! Just Google "The Book of my Enemy has been Remaindered."

The last ten years of James' life were a minor tragedy, divorce after 44 years, a schism with his family and a ten year battle with Leukaemia. But he never lost the capacity to laugh, particularly at himself.

Back