The Purple Thistle

Percy's arrival disturbed the solemnity in the room as he ranted and raved demanding his women be brought to face him, he did not seem to understand that the very sick woman lying in the bed was Bella until it was suggested that he see for himself and the covers were drawn back and her nightdress lifted to reveal the sores and welts on her legs, on her sex and swollen belly.

'You see, someone beat her to within an inch of her life. And now, the baby might not live. Do you want to see what happened to her?'

"Who did this to her? You cannot believe it was me, we had fun together and sometimes indulged in a little light spanking but I could not have done this."

Percy vehemently denied that he could be responsible, but they could all see the shock on his face and the self doubt that he felt.

Out of the blue in her fevered state Bella grabbed Percy's hand

'Marcel? Mon amour. C'est votre battement de coeur...”

Marcel? My love. It is your heartbeat...
'

Her words told them that she believed Percy to be Marcel, her one true love and the father of her child. Then water flooded out of her as she lay back exhausted, still grasping Percy's hand. Doctor Fredrick soon grasped the situation and announced,

'“We have no choice now. Her water just broke. The baby is on the way. I need everyone to clear out save those helping.

Mildred seemed ready to assist with the birthing of the baby, and Caroline seemed determined to be there too. Percy tried to leave but Bella, in her fevered state, believed that it was Marcel’s hand she held and refused to let go of it. Speaking in French, she told him of how she would soon supply him with his son.

“She thinks that you’re someone else. Be whoever she wants you to be or we may lose them both. Doctor Fredrick ordered Percy while Caroline understood and assured Bella that Marcel was here and loved only her.

Percy had no choice as Bella held his hand tightly and spoke to him of her love in a whisper believing he was Marcel. As he listened and watched Doctor Fredrick prepare Bella for delivery of her baby, Percy's head began to clear and he understood that he was the cause of all this pain and suffering so he continued with his pretence of being Marcel and hoped that Bella would forgive him.

He looked around for Alexander and Veronique but they were no longer in the room, Alexander having ushered his pregnant wife away, not wanting her to see what was certain to be a very difficult birth.

Alexander held Veronique close to him letting her head rest on his chest. Veronique looked up at him an unspoken question in her eyes, he answered as reassuringly as he could.

"Doctor Fredrick is an excellent doctor, you can be sure he will do his very best for both other and child, perhaps having Percy there will help, I don't know."

They held each other waiting for news.
 
Bella held Marcel’s hand, so happy that her true love was back with her. In her fevered state, she seemed to have forgotten English and only spoke in her native tongue, speaking to the man that she loved, her breathless words occasionally almost lost as she gradually grew weaker.

“Please forgive me, my love, for being unfaithful to you. That night that those peasants came and took you and your parents and your little sister, remember how we made love before they stormed your home? I think that that was the night that I got pregnant.”

She stopped and gave a cry as a contraction gripped her, the hand that Percy held squeezed his hand tightly. Once it passed, her rambling continued with ‘Marcel’.

“Please forgive me for my liaison with Sir but when you were taken away from me, I was so lonely. I love you with all my heart. Remember how you always called me your heart beat. A part of me died that day.”

Another contraction came over her. After a moment, she continued.

“But Sir seemed to love me, to need me. I loved him... you understand? Please say that you forgive me. Marcel, please forgive me.”

She clutched at his hand, tears filling her eyes bright with fever.

Caroline placed her hand on Percy’s shoulders, urging him to give Bella the answer that she needed.

Once she could again speak, Bella continued.

“I tried to make him happy, to deny him nothing. Yet all he could speak of was her. He grew angry with me. But do not think harsh of him. He gave me my own home, my friend and companion, Caroline. He gave me love. Sir was a magnificent lover.”

After a minute, she could speak again though as the night progressed, her energy began to wane, her voice getting softer and softer. Still, she only spoke to Marcel, reminding him of the hours they had spent in each other’s arms. Of how he had begged her to marry him, of how pleased both of their families had been with the news, and how so many times she wished that she had died with him and his family.

“Yet, when Caroline told me that I was with child, I counted back and realized that it was your child that I carried. I was proud.”

Caroline could see that poor Bella was growing weaker and weaker with each round of contractions. Looking to Doctor Fredrick, she could see he was furiously working to save both mother and child but his face grew grim as the actual delivery began.

With her hands on Percy’s shoulders, her lips began to move in silent prayer as Amabella’s scream filled the air. The sound traveled down the hall to the room where Alexander tried to comfort Veronique.
 
Percy held Bella's hand and stroked it as he began to realise just how sick she was. She was rambling in French and some of it he didn't understand and looked to Caroline for help, she translated it for him and it mainly concerned Bella and Marcel and their secret trysts before he and his family were taken away and sent to the guillotine and how she believed that she fell pregnant on that last fateful day.

Percy was beginning to see that Bella was not the tramp he thought her to be, ready to spread her legs for anyone who paid her any attention but a lonely frightened young girl who had learned to rely on her looks in order to survive. He felt a sense of remorse when she mentioned him.

'I tried to make him happy, to deny him nothing. Yet all he could speak of was her. He grew angry with me. But do not think harsh of him. He gave me my own home, my friend and companion, Caroline. He gave me love. Sir was a magnificent lover.'

Remorse that he had not treated her better but also a sense of pride in that she regarded him as a magnificent lover. He coloured slightly when Bella talked about his obsession with Veronique and he was thankful the neither Veronique or Alexander were present. He had loved Bella in his own way even if he had a strange way of showing it but then Bella had seemed to enjoy the pain he had inflicted on her, he told himself that if she had asked him to stop then he would have.

The night drew on and poor Bella's voice grew weaker as Doctor Fredrick worked with a grim face to keep Bella alive at least until the baby was born. After one particularly painful contraction Bella arched her back in pain and let out a long drawn out scream that could be heard throughout the house.

Percy did his best playing the part of Marcel and speaking in his limited French he tried to comfort her but it was doubtful if she heard him.

Along the landing Alexander and Veronique heard the scream from Bella, Alexander felt his wife shudder and held her closer,

"I don't think it will be long now before we know if the good Doctor has pulled off the miracle of the century or if......................"

He didn't need to say any more.
 
The delivery was a hard one as Bella bravely fought staying alive to give her baby life. The fact that Marcel was there, holding her hand and professing his love for her seemed to give her strength. Until the next contraction and the doctor’s voice telling her to push again.

Mildred was there helping the doctor. Even though she spoke no French, she could tell that the man holding the young woman’s hand was slowly changing before her eyes. When he had first arrived in the room, he was brash and belligerent, demanding and rude. Yet once he was there attempting to give this poor woman strength, he seemed stricken, remorseful. Something was going on, but as she had told Katy, it really was not any of her business. She gently blotted away the perspiration that covered the poor woman’s face.

Doctor Fredrick was working hard to try and save the baby, for he could see that this poor thing’s body had been too abused to really carry on in this life. Unless there was some miracle today, there would be one and possibly two souls that would leave this earth.

There were now long spaces where Bella was silent, saving her strength for the next push that her body and the doctor told her to make. That Marcel was there comforted her greatly and as he held her hand and promised that he forgave her transgressions, that seemed to ease her heart.

“Marcel, I know that... that I give you a son. He came...” She paused to push before continuing. “...came to me in a dream. Told me that he...he would be safe... inside me till it was time.”

Suddenly the room seemed to erupt in a flurry of activity. With gut-wrenching screams, Bella pushed and grunted, as suddenly the baby’s head appeared, followed by a gush of blood. Doctor Fredrick worked furiously to get the baby out in time. He had everyone encourage Amabella to push and soon the mantra “push” was whispered throughout the room.

As if on cue, Bella gave one last supreme effort and the rest of the baby appeared between her legs. Then there was a sudden gush of blood. Mildred stood by and the doctor quickly upended the small red thing to spank life into the baby.

For several anxious moments, everyone’s attention was focused on the baby. Waiting. Praying that the wee thing would live. Then the sound broke through the room - a thin, reedy cry as the baby took its first breaths in this cold, cruel world.

“You have a son, Bella,” the doctor assured her as he quickly clamped and severed the last physical connection between mother and child. As Mildred quickly cleaned the baby, wrapping him in a swaddling blanket and put it in his mother’s free arm, everyone looked to Doctor Fredrick to see if Bella too might survive.

But he could see that too much blood continued to flow from between Bella’s legs. She was bleeding inside and he could not stop it in time. The stress of delivering the baby had ensured her an end to her life.

Still holding Marcel’s hand, she nuzzled the baby in her other arm. Almost beatific, Amabella smiled at her child, her eyes trying to take in everything about him.

“Marcel, I told you that I would give you a son. He shall be named after you. Marcel du Charpentier. The last of the line. We have cheated the guillotine.” She kissed her baby’s head, yet all could see her growing weaker by the second.

Caroline looked hopefully to the doctor but he grimly shook his head and covered the lower half of the dying mother, attempting to at least give her her a modicum of dignity in death.

Bella’s vision seemed to suddenly clear as she realized that Percy held her hand. Yet as she spoke, she grew weaker and weaker.

“Sir, oh Sir, see him? Is he not the most beautiful baby that you ever laid eyes upon? See what my Marcel gave to me? A part of him will continue on. A part of me will continue on. Marcel du Charpentier. Be sure to tell my parents his name.”

She seem to see Caroline behind Percy’s shoulder and smiled at the woman.

“My first true friend. Caroline, thank you for everything.” Tears filled Caroline’s eyes as Bella continued. “Do you see him? Is he not the most beautiful baby you ever beheld?”

“Most beautiful. He has your smile.” Tears ran down the older woman’s face.

“Sir, I loved you so much. But you deserve peace and happiness. I would have been proud if I could have given that to you.”

She suddenly looked to the foot of her bed. “Marcel, have you come for me? Have you come to see your son?” All looked to where she looked but saw no one there.

“Please, Sir, take my Marcel safely to my parents. And always know that I loved you.

Once more she whispered to her baby, “stay safe and grow strong and know that I will always be with...”

The room grew still for a moment as the light went out in Amabella’s eyes. Caroline began to weep uncontrollably as for a moment, baby Marcel lay in his dead mother’s arms. One little hand seemed to reach out as if holding onto something that only he could see before he too began to sound his thin reedy cry.

Mildred quickly gathered the tiny thing in her arms and tried to calm it without much success. Crossing around the bed, she stopped before the obviously stricken man still holding the dead woman hand, as if he could will her back to life.

“Would you like to hold him?”

As soon as the baby lay in Percy’s arms, his crying stopped as if recognizing a friend. Meanwhile, the doctor spoke to Caroline.

“You will need a wet nurse for little Marcel du Charpentier. I know of a good one that is available. And, once the baby can travel to where her parents are, she can travel too and return here once they find their own wet nurse.”

Caroline looked back at her friend. Even in death she still had a beauty that took her breath away. Almost angelic.

“Come, Sir, let us show Marcel du Charpentier to the world.”
 
Last edited:
To Alexander and Veronique the deathly silence following Bella's blood curdling scream was agonising as they visualised the scene in the birthing room. They had no way of knowing if either Bella or her baby were alive or dead. Alexander would not allow Veronique to go and see what was happening.

"No, my love 'tis best if we stay out of the way until it's over, we can be of no help and may well distract Doctor Fredrick from his task, we will be informed as soon as there is anything to tell."

He had to forcibly restrain her as she tried to leave, catching her round the waist and pulling her up close to him and kissing her before he repeated himself.

"I said 'no' my love, I must insist that as your husband you concede that I know best and obey me."

So far as he could remember this was the very first time that he had insisted that she obey him.

At that moment there was a tap on the door and when they opened it young Katy stood there and mumbled through her tears,

"The Doctor asks that you come, he has some news."

They both had a sense of foreboding as if it was good news Katy would have been smiling. They followed the tearful Katy to the door of the bedroom and before entering they both drew a deep breath to prepare themselves.

As they entered they were surprised to see Percy holding a little bundle in his arms and extending a finger for the little one to hold. Percy looked up at them and smiled.

"He's a fine young man but he won't let go, perhaps I should cut off my finger and leave it for him to play with."

Doctor Fredrick interrupted and spoke in a sorrowful tone,

"The baby, Marcel, is doing fine but despite my best efforts I am sorry to say Amabella passed away shortly after giving birth, I am so sorry."

Alexander heard Veronique give a little gasp and watched as she crossed over to the bed and looked down at her old school companion. Alexander followed and looked down at Amabella who just seemed to be sleeping, it was then that Alexander saw just how beautiful she was even with her waxen coloured skin.

"Poor, poor girl, so young." He murmured, then he rounded on Percy angrily, "You did this, you caused her death and now you make jokes about her child, you disgust me Percy."

"You are right Alexander, I regret it all, I always lost control of myself when she begged me to give her pain. I believe now that she wanted me to punish her for being unfaithful to her true love but I knew nothing of that until today, I know I cannot bring her back but I can ensure that her son is looked after by his grandparents and will want for nothing."

Again Doctor Fredrick took charge "Do we have a crib we can put the little fellow in? Alexander can you send someone to fetch Jenny Sanderson? she is the wet nurse that I know is available, As for Amabella can we leave her here for the time being until I can make the necessary arrangements."

Alexander nodded his agreement , thankful that the Doctor was taking charge, he had enough to do looking after Veronique and their unborn.

"Do you want me to stay with you my love? I'm sure you want to say farewell to Amabella in your own way."
 
Last edited:
What went on around her was not heard. Instead, Veronique stood by the bed, looking down at her old school acquaintance. The last time that she had seen Bella, the young woman was begging and pleading for help, for assistance. Yet now, in death Amabella had a beauty that had eluded her in life. A peace had settled over her. In giving life to her child, she had lost her own.

Veronique was unaware of what was happening around her - the flurry to dig out a long unused baby crib for poor baby Marcel, of Alexander sending a man to bring back the wet nurse, of Percy and Doctor Fredrick and the rush to handle the death of one and the birth of another.

Now Bella looked angelic and Veronique felt horrible for the way that she had treated the woman when they had rushed to Percy’s hidden cottage.

She knelt beside the bed, and gently took hold of Bella’s hand. It was already starting to lose the heat of life and silently she spoke to the woman as tears began to fill her eyes.

”Bella, please forgive me. I have been a sanctimonious fool, putting myself above others when I had no right to do so. We had more in common than I realized. You are now a mother, and I only pray that when my time comes, that I may show the courage and bravery that you have shown.”

Every time that someone other than Percy attempted to hold little Marcel, the baby held on surprisingly tight to the man’s finger and cried. Caroline stood out of the way, crying at the loss of her lover and friend.

Alexander had taken over, ordering servants around and having two rooms readied on the other side of Caroline’s room - one where an old dusty crib had been dragged down from up in the attic and quickly cleaned for Marcel and a bed readied for the wet nurse, and the other room for Percy.

Veronique was lost in her sorrow, holding a hand that grew steadily colder. She reached out to brush away Amabella’s dark hair from the woman brow.

Doctor Fredrick noticed Veronique and took Alexander aside so that only the young man could hear what he said.

“I know that you saw how poorly Amabella had been treated - open sores and scars from repeatedly being beaten, undernourished, driven beyond what the poor woman’s body could endure. Yet it was only several days ago that Veronique pushed herself beyond her limits.”

He looked worried at the young woman as she knelt beside the dead woman.

“I delivered her. I know her. Alexander, try to keep her out of here. Make sure that she gets plenty of rest, eats well. Maybe once Sir Blakeney and this Catherine and the baby and wet nurse leave, maybe take Veronique away from here for a couple of days. Get her mind off what has happened here today. Before she gets too far along in her pregnancy.”

He saw the woman’s shoulders begin to shake as she cried and feared that the woman would grieve too much.

“The living must continue, and you have her and your child to think of. And let me know if I am needed. Otherwise, I will return in 3 days to see if the friend, Caroline, and the baby are strong enough to travel.”

The Doctor placed a hand on Alexander’s shoulder and shook his hand before taking hold of his bag. Quite frankly, he was exhausted. Losing a patient, especially one so young, always was hard on him.
 
Alexander took over once he realised that the baby was alive and well and that poor Bella had lost her fight for life. He issued orders left right and centre while Veronique stood at the side of Bella's deathbed mourning the passing of her old school companion. He knew that they had never been friends but Veronique's very nature caused her to grieve over Amabella's death. Doctor Fredrick took Alexander to one side and spoke to him out of earshot of everyone else.

"I know that you saw how poorly Amabella had been treated - open sores and scars from repeatedly being beaten, undernourished, driven beyond what the poor woman’s body could endure. Yet it was only several days ago that Veronique pushed herself beyond her limits.'

He looked worriedly at Veronique as she knelt beside the dead woman.

'I delivered her. I know her. Alexander, try to keep her out of here. Make sure that she gets plenty of rest, eats well. Maybe once Sir Blakeney and this Catherine and the baby and wet nurse leave, maybe take Veronique away from here for a couple of days. Get her mind off what has happened here today. Before she gets too far along in her pregnancy.'

"Thank you for your concern and advice Doctor, I assure you that I will do everything in my power to keep her well."

Doctor Fredrick looked at Veronique weeping at Bella's bedside and saw her shoulders shaking with a new bout of tears.

'The living must continue, and you have her and your child to think of. And let me know if I am needed. Otherwise, I will return in 3 days to see if the friend, Caroline, and the baby are strong enough to travel.'

Alexander walked with the doctor to his carriage, the poor man was exhausted. When he had gone Alexander returned to Veronique and pried her hand loose of Bellas's cold fingers.

"Come along my love you can do no more here you must eat, I know that is the last thing you want to do but I am following Doctor Fredrick's orders and you must obey them."

They went down to the little used breakfast room and ate breakfast although Veronique only nibbled at her food, Alexander did not push her but made her promise to eat more at lunch.

"We have some decisions to make, what is to become of little Marcel? where will Caroline go? Before you say anything, she cannot stay here, I don't feel comfortable in her company after her behaviour at Percy's cottage, which brings us to Percy, he also cannot stay here for any length of time, we don't know if he has got over his obsession with you for a start and there is the fact that Baby Marcel seems to have taken a shine to Percy, you see how he is quite content when Percy holds him."

After breakfast Alexander insisted that Veronique go back to bed and rest, trying to lighten her mood he said,

"If you find you cannot rest I will be quite happy to join you and give you something pleasant to think about."

He was pleased to see the flicker of a smile cross her face although her eyes were still red and puffy from crying.
 
The house became a somber place despite the new life that had been brought forth. Jenny Sanderson, the plump wet nurse, arrived and promptly took charge of baby Marcel. Marcel was hungry and quickly latched onto one of Jenny’s heavy teats, happily sucking away.

Still, the entire household was well aware that the deceased mother of cute little Marcel lay still and quiet on her deathbed, and Caroline would frequently kneel beside the bed of her lover and friend and cry at the loss of so vibrant a soul.

Rumors ran rampant within the house and all had heard some versions of just what has happened as the woman died. Some claimed that she had named Sir Blakeney the father of the wee one, others claimed that it was someone they had never heard of before. Yet all seemed to agree that baby Marcel lay in his mother’s arms as she died, her blessing to her baby the last thing that the woman spoke.

There had also been rumors as to just why she had died. Some were mostly correct, others either partially or nowhere near the whole story. And each rumor seemed to morph and change with each retelling of it.

Yet, one thing was unanimous. No mention of the dead woman was to be made to the Countess. Not only had she known the woman since childhood but all feared that upsetting the woman could result in the loss of the future heir. If pressed, they could talk about the baby, but that was it.

Sanders and Simmonds, the butler and under butler, had both remembered how Sir Blakeney had acted the last time that he had been in the manor and resolved that such would not happen again. They informed Anna of their plans and installed a man to keep an eye in the hall outside the master bedroom. They also set up a guard outside the death room more out of courtesy than anything else. Saunders made a list of things that he would inform the Count that he had instigated and hoped that they would meet with his approval.

Anna herself had her hands full. Almost immediately after being sent to bed by her husband, Veronique had ordered the woman to go to the village and purchase some things for the new baby, some nappies and several outfits. “We cannot send the poor thing to his grandparents dressed in rags.” She also ordered Anna to purchase a beautiful dress for Amabella. “She should be beautiful in death. She did not deserve what happened to her.” Anna managed to find a beautiful white dress that was almost angelic and with the woman’s dark hair should be perfect. And Katy and Mildred had been so touched by what they had witnessed that they both volunteered to clean and dress the body before she was placed in her casket.

Caroline was adamant. Bella’s parents should be allowed one last look at their daughter’s body and decide where her final resting place would be. And she was pretty sure that they would wish to raise their own grandson. They had apparently approved of the match between their daughter and this Marcel du Charpentier and would surely welcome the product of the love between the two, even if this poor Bebe had been born on the “wrong side of the sheets”.

What worried her was her own future. Would she, after this was all over, be required to once again work the streets?
 
To ALexander's disappointment Veronique declined his offer to join her in bed, no doubt preferring to rest and grieve alone. Alexander went to the library just to read some poems by the poet of the day, Lord Byron. He had barely read one verse when there came a knock on the door and in came a repentant looking Sir Percy.

"Alexander, I am possibly the last person you want to see but I must talk to someone and with no priest available you are the only person to whom I can make my confession so I beg you, please hear me out."

"You are correct in your assumption that I do not wish to see you Percy, however as you are here say your piece and get out."

"This tragic, tragic incident, it is all my fault I beat poor Bella beyond reason, WHY, I cannot say, we would fuck like animals and then, whether it was through guilt or a craving for punishment that she had I don't know but she she would beg me to hurt her. I cannot say that I was in love with her but I did love her if you understand my meaning."

"Tragic incident you say, is that what you call it? An incident that can be forgotten in a few days? No, Percy, no, you killed that poor girl, 'tis only luck that baby Marcel survived."

"I know, and I am truly sorry what else can I say? But there is more, Veronique, she has been constantly in my thoughts since the day you were married, 'twas wrong of me I know but I was consumed with jealousy and at the wedding feast I read things that she said to mean that I would not be rejected so I pursued her, even when we went to France I only took up with Bella to try and make Veronique jealous."

"Percy I cannot blame you for believing you were in love with Veronique, she is a truly beautiful woman in appearance and in her mind, she would never betray me and run away with you and yet you tried to abduct her from her own bed, whatever possessed you man?"

"There you have it Alexander my dear friend, I was possessed, driven mad, these past months have been a living nightmare but Bella's passing has cleared my mind and I want to set things right with you, with Veronique and hopefully with Caroline, you do not know the story of Caroline but I know it will shock you to know that she is, or rather was, a French Contessa who fell upon hard times and I bought her from a Parisian brothel. So you see I actually own her but I want to set her free and perhaps she will stay with me, I will treat her well as her true station in life demands."

"This is more than I can take in Percy, can you expect me to believe a word you say? And what of baby Marcel? You cannot hope to keep him."

""I was hoping that I could make amends in some way by providing for him financially, his grandparents are in difficulties and having him will not help them improve their lot unless I help as well."

"If all that you say is true Percy then I can forgive you and I am sure Veronique will as well the other matters you will have to sort out for yourself, let us shake hands on a friendship renewed."

He extended his hand and they embraced like old friends.
 
The thin, reedy cry could be heard through the hall, quickly hushed as a heavy teat was popped in Marcel’s mouth. The baby hungrily sucked, unaware that his dead mother lay in the room next door.

“Oh! Why, this little man is hungry, aren’t you? Just living is hungry work, isn’t it?”

Caroline watched the woman feed the wee thing. He was small and she worried that the Angel of Death would take him too. Bella’s last words ran over and over in her mind. stay safe and grow strong and know that I will always be with... The weak voice echoed in her brain and she fought to keep the tears from springing to her eyes.

“His nappy shall need changing as soon as he is through drinking. I swear that it is almost like it goes in his mouth and runs straight out the other end.” The woman gave a little chuckle as Marcel unlatched and began to cry again.

Caroline took the baby and quickly changed the dirty diaper. There was a knock on the door and Caroline called out Enter.

A very somber Veronique glided in, and Caroline noted the gentle swell under the woman’s dress. Yet another new life on its way into the world.

“Is everything all right? It is almost dinner time and I thought that you might want to come with me to the table.”

Caroline was quiet, unsure of just how what to say. Her mind turned back to memories of not so long ago when she had fixed a dinner for this woman and her husband. Neither of them had eaten a bite of food nor drank a drop.

As if able to read the woman’s mind, Veronique spoke.

“I realize that my own foolish pride refused the hospitality that you so graciously offer me. Please let me make amends.” Tears glittered the Countesses eyes.

Caroline hesitated a moment before nodding. She noted the wistful glaze in Veronique’s eyes.

“Would you like to hold him?”

With a haunted smile, Veronique nodded and soon the little baby was in her arms.

Veronique presses her lips against the soft baby’s head. He was bald but she knew that there would soon be dark hair like Amabella’s sprouting on top. She breathed in deeply and smelled that new baby smell. Her voice was low and as she spoke to the baby, automatically rocking back and forth.

“I knew your mama. She was in love with life and lived it to its fullest. And she loved your father very much. And she loved you too. She did all she could to bring you into this world.”

There was another knock on the door and Caroline opened the door to find Anna there, a worried look on her face. She glanced around the room and noted that the door to where the body lay was closed. But she wanted to get Veronique away from here. She had already caught the woman outside the door to the dead woman’s room. Old Samuel, the porter that had been put in charge of guarding the room had slipped inside one of the other vacant rooms and pulled the maids bell, a signal to whomever was down there to get Anna and/or Sanders and get up there. Anna just happened to be in the room when the bell rang downstairs and took off running. She had arrived to find Old Samuel talking to Veronique, asking her all kinds of questions in an attempt to delay the Countess until someone could get up there and take care of things.

Luckily, Anna arrived and telling a small lie, told her that the cook had a problem that she needed Veronique’s decision on. Caroline, the cook, had a quick mind and understood the furtive glances that Anna gave her, coming up with a plausible problem that needed to be solved.

Quite frankly, the maid would be glad when that Sir Blakeney and the rest of them were gone from this house, including that poor dead woman upstairs.

Thank God, this time the Countess was holding the baby instead of grieving by Amabella’s bed.

“The cook says that the meal will be ruined if it waits much longer.”

Veronique nodded and passed the baby off to the wet nurse before smiling at Caroline. “Come and get some nourishment. Please.”

Caroline nodded and the two of them left the room with Anna following close behind, saying a silent prayer that this would all soon be over.
 
Alexander had sent word to the Comte De Alder and his wife that their daughter needed them, he did not mention either the fact that they now had a grandson or that Amabelle had passed away preferring to give them the news face to face. They were due to arrive shortly and Alexander made sure he would be free to greet them for the first time since he and the Company had rescued them from certain death at the guillotine.

When the carriage stopped outside the main door and the Comte and his wife had dismounted they were shown into the sitting room where Alexander was waiting for them. During their time in England both had learned to speak and understand passable English but when they were shown into the sitting room and saw Alexander the Comte strode forward and grasped Alexander's hand.

"Mon Dieu, c’est notre Sauveur, nous pensions ne plus jamais te revoir, comment es-tu mon ami?"

****
'My God, it is our saviour, we thought never to see you again, how are you my friend?'
****

Alexander knew enough French to understand the gist of what the Comte was saying but quickly disengaged his hand and asked,

"May we speak in English please? I will find it difficult enough to explain in English why you are here."

The Comte looked a little perplexed but nodded his agreement.

"Do you or did you know a personage known as Marcel Du Charpentier?"

"Yes Monsieur, he was a suitor for Amabella's hand, where is she? You said she needed us."

"Were you aware that Amabella was carrying his child?"

"Why of course, we did not wholly approve of course but they were so in love and then he and his family were taken away, we have not seen or heard from him since that night."

"I have to tell you with great sorrow that Amabella passed away two days ago shortly after giving birth to a baby son, before she died she said that she wanted him to be named Marcel."

The Comte's wife screamed out her anguish,

"Non, non, ça ne peut pas être ma petite fille, morte, non, non."

****
" NO, NO, It cannot be, my little girl, dead? NO, NO."
****

She sank to her knees clawing at Alexander's knees as if it would change things.

"She is laid out upstairs if you would like to see her."

Alexander made no mention of the reasons for her death, the beatings she had suffered. In his mind there was no need to pour more agony on them and it would serve no purpose.

"My wife and I would like to offer our condolences and tell you that you may bury her wherever you wish, we will pay the costs of course. Would you like to see your grandson? He is a little cherub and won the hearts of everyone in the house."

The Comte nodded and Alexander led the sombre party to the room where Amabella lay, as they entered Caroline rose from her knees beside the bed and spoke briefly to Amabella's parents.

" Elle me manquerait cher, elle était ma meilleure amie."

****
"I will miss her dearly, she was my best friend."

Then she fled from the room in tears.

Alexander left Bella's parents with her and arranged for baby Marcel to meet them, his Grandparents.
 
In a way, Veronique was glad that Alexander took charge of things. It seemed hard enough just to keep pushing on all day long.

Every time that she would head towards Amabella’s room, someone would stop and question her about some problem with the running of the house. If she thought about it long enough, she might see it as a conspiracy.

The fact that her old school acquaintance had died giving birth was not lost on her either. It was not really uncommon for women to die in such a way, though it usually happened to the lower classes. And she had not thought of Bella in such a way.

She was sure that the condition that the woman had arrived in here at the manor played a large role. Still, she too carried a child. She too would eventually have to go through what Bella had faced. She softly rubbed her belly where Alexander’s baby grew and worried if she would be as brave as Bella.

Though it had not been formally announced, she was sure that the event entire household was aware of it. After all of this was over, she would need to get some dresses that would accommodate her expanding belly.

She was well aware that the Comte and his wife had arrived and certainly had not envied her husband his task of breaking the news to them. She was sure that they would accept the baby with open arms, raising Marcel. Little Marcel du Charpentier. The poor thing was starting out life without a mother or a father, the last of his lineage, unable to return to his homelands, the place where he was conceived.

Doctor Fredrick had returned and pronounced both Caroline and the baby fit for travel. He had also supplied Alexander with a death certificate for Amabella de Alders claiming she had died in childbirth. He also provided a birth certificate claiming that baby Marcel du Charpentier had been born only a few days earlier here at Vernay Manor, his mother Amabella de Alders and his father Marcel du Charpentier, both of France and both deceased.

Now, the wet nurse fed the hungry baby, well aware that the baby’s grandparents and only living relatives were in the room next door, their muffled cries discernible through the closed door. “Little man, your family is here for you. You must make a good impression on them. They will love and protect you and tell you all about your mother and your father.”
 
Whilst Amabella's parents went to view their daughter's body and pay their respects and then meet their grandson for the first time Alexander sought out Veronique and embraced her, trying to comfort her.

"Twill soon be over with my love, I would imagine that the Comte De Alder and his wife would want to take Amabella with them and have her interred near to them, I know you would like to attend the ceremony but it is some distance and I think that it might be too much for you with the emotional distress and with your condition it would be best if you pay your last respects here."

They went upstairs hand in hand to meet with the Comte and his wife who were cooing over baby Marcel, saying that he had their daughter's eyes. The Comte's eyes opened wide with surprise when he saw Veronique and he recognised her immediately.

"Vous avez été un de nos sauveteurs aussi, nous vous remercions du fond de nos cœurs, nous regrettons d’avoir à quitter notre Amabella à vos soins, mais comme un vieil ami de l’école nous avons fait confiance à vous."

****
"You were one of our rescuers also, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts, we regret having to leave our Amabella to your care but as an old school friend we trusted you."
****

Veronique replied in her perfect French.

"Oui, j’ai été parmi ceux qui vous a amené en Angleterre, mais nous ne pouvons prendre aucun crédit pour s’occuper d’Amabella, un autre de ce parti l’a emmenée sous son aile et lui et son «ami» s’est penché sur son bien-être. Voulez-vous les rencontrer?"

****
"Yes I was among those that brought you to England but we can take no credit for caring for Amabella, another of that party took her under his wing and he and his 'friend' looked after her well being. Would you like to meet them?"
****

The Comte reverted to English and replied,

"Of course. They are here? We would like to thank them in person."

Alexander, who had been standing quietly in the background then took over again and went out to the landing and sent one of the maids to find Percy and Caroline and bring them to him. It was only a few minutes before they joined Alexander on the landing.

"Percy, Caroline, the Comte wishes to thank you both in person for taking care of Bella, they know nothing of the nature of your true relationship with Bella and we will not mention it. Also Percy I think it would be wise if we did not reveal your name but introduced you as The Scarlet Pimpernel, you are being sought by every French agent in England so let us not lead them to you."

Percy looked with surprise and gratitude at his old friend.

"You would do this for me Alexander after everything I have done?"

"'Tis not for you Percy but for those grieving parents in there."

He opened the door and led them in, when Alexander introduced Percy as The Scarlet Pimpernel the Comte became most effusive saying how he had heard of him and his exploits but had no idea that his family had been rescued by the very same.

"You need have no fear Sir, I know that your identity is a secret and our lips are sealed."

Caroline had said very little and was as surprised as anyone when Alexander revealed that Percy was none other than the notorious Scarlet Pimpernel.

After the initial exchanges baby Marcel became the centre of attention and gurgled happily when Percy tickled his belly. Caroline took Percy to one side and asked him outright.

"What am I to do when you go back to your mansion? Return to the cottage and await your few visits or am I to earn a living on the streets of London?"

"You will do neither you will live with me in my mansion as a free woman, if you wish to sleep in my bed then I will welcome you but it is your choice, believe it or not Caroline I am a changed man."

Alexander heard all this and said to Caroline,

"I believe him, he is trying so hard and needs a good woman to keep him on track so if you love him, which I believe you do, go with him."
 
Last edited:
The day was pure torture, though Veronique was sure that it was not near as bad for her as it was for Amabella’s parents. To think that they had thought they were coming to see their daughter only to discover that she was dead giving birth to their illegitimate grandson. She was sure that their hearts were breaking. Yet here they were cooing and smiling at the little baby. And Marcel seemed content to be the center of attention.

Yet when they entered the room where everyone had gathered around the baby, the Comte and his wife immediately recognized her. Apparently after they had made it safely to England, Bella had revealed to her parents that she had gone to finishing school with Veronique. She watched with a lump in her throat as they announced that they would take their daughter back with them and the baby. That was as it should be, and yet it was still hard to accept.

Then Alexander introduced them to Percy, though not giving his real name but rather the name that struck fear and aggravation in the hearts of many a French Peasant. They were impressed that they had been rescued by someone so famous.

Suddenly, things were happening way too fast. Plans flew around the room with the De Alders making plans to leave with a body, a baby and a wet nurse in tow, and Percy seemed to have finally gathered his wits about him and was offering to keep Caroline with him at his manor rather than hidden away like some sexual plaything. He had finally realized that that was how he had been treating Bella and Caroline - like a couple of whores. And it scared her to think that, in his madness, he had wanted to do the same thing to her.

And through it all, Alexander stayed right by her side, leaving only long enough to set things even with his old friend. She was glad that everything had been settled with Percy. She did not like being desired by the man. There was only one man in her life - Her husband Alexander.
 
Alexander found it hard to cope with the rigours of the day, hearing the plans of the various parties and securing Caroline's immediate future, repairing his friendship with Percy was the most onerous of his tasks but he could not leave things as they were between them. Percy appeared to be most repentant of the way in which he had pursued Veronique and the way he had tried to abduct her with the intention of turning her into a whore.

After everything was done that could be done Alexander never left Veronique's side, she claimed to be well but he could see signs of strain on her face , lines on her forehead where before her skin had been flawless and instead of her normally rosy cheeks she was pale and wan. Alexander remembered Doctor Fredrick's recommendation about taking Veronique away for a few days and he decided there and then that is what he would do so he called Anna and asked her to bring Claude Benson to see him.

When he arrived he told Anna to stay as well and told them of his plan,

",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The reason I asked you both here and informed you of my plans is because I need people I can trust implicitly to see to the day to day running of the household and the estate as a whole, so Anna, as you are the senior maid here you will run the house, you Claude saved my life and I have never really thanked you in the manner you deserve, therefore if you are willing I would like you to become my estate manager,"

Both of them were in shock but delighted and assured Alexander that everything would run smoothly. With a broad smile and a twinkle in his eye he added.

"I know you work very well together and I will continue to turn a blind eye to your visits to Anna's bedroom until such time as you decide to go public. Before you ask, the mistress and I have known of your affair for some time and I must admit we have watched you through the keyhole."

Claude didn't know what to say but Anna went beet red and squeaked "We didn't think it was wrong, what with us both single."

"Don't worry about it I am not your judge, I, that is we, are so pleased for you both."

He dismissed them both with a smile and they went off arm in arm, Alexander suspected they would go straight to Anna's bedroom.

He found Veronique again and took into a secluded part of the garden and kissed her passionately and his hand scooped up her skirts and rubbed the wet spot between her legs.

"Were it not for the possibility of being discovered I would have you now but I think that you will be just as ready come bedtime, or am I being too presumptuous my sweet?"
 
Veronique had already said her goodbyes to the Comte and his wife, and had bid her old school acquaintance goodbye. She had kissed the tiny head of Marcel, and wished Caroline a happy life. And to even Percy had she said her fairwells though through it all, Alexander had stayed by her side, his arm about her waist as if telling all that she was his wife, and his alone. The Comtesse had glance pointedly at the growing swell of Veronique’s belly and she had smiled to the woman and nodded.

“I too am expecting a child.” The woman suddenly hugged Veronique as tears sprang to her eyes.

“Que Dieu vous bénisse. Je prierai pour et pour votre famille grandissante tous les jours.”

“May God bless you. I will pray for and your growing family daily.”

Alexander then sent her out to the garden, telling her that it was getting crowded and that he wanted to clear things out. Yet she suspected that there might be another reason. He seemed worried about her, and perhaps he was right.

So Anna went with her to the garden, getting her seated in the little summer house with the windows open and a light breeze wafting through.

“I’m not incapacitated, Anna!”

“I know. But you have been under stress. The Master will be able to join you once he gets everyone gone.”

Anna left Veronique as she quietly rubbed her belly where the baby grew, returning back inside to receive her orders from Alexander.

Veronique felt a heavy sadness, knowing that the house would suddenly seem very empty once everyone was gone. She had no idea that Alexander was planning on following Doctor Fredrick’s advice to take her away for several days, or that while they were gone, Anna and Claude would remove the mattress and all the bedding that Bella had lain on, given birth and died on, to take them out into a culvert or field or someplace on the land and thoroughly burn them until nothing but ashes were left. Then the bed was to be dismantled and put in storage. By the time that they return home, all that would be left would be an empty room. Even the curtains would be gone as Alexander did not want her obsessing on this tragedy.

She did not even have any idea of Alexander’s conversation with Claude and Anna. For once, he instead was taking charge of the situation without telling her, the health of his wife and unborn child uppermost in his mind.

While the actual loading of the body of Amabella into a wagon, as well as baby Marcel and the wet nurse being put in the carriage with the Comte and his wife was handled relatively quickly, Alexander had his staff standing by to supply any side needed. Actual manners would have meant that everyone stay for a day or two as they grieved. However, the Comte seemed eager to get his daughter into her final resting place and get settled with their grandson.

Caroline gave her thanks to Alexander and apologized for how she had acted towards him when he had come to the cottage that day.

“I think that perhaps my life may be straightening out. Though I shall always miss my Bella, my best friend. I want to thank you for all you did for her. Thank you for giving us a safe place for the baby to be born. Thank you for taking us in. You and your wife are good. God bless you.”

Then she and Percy left, leaving the manor suddenly quiet and the household began to try to return to normal.
 
With all their guests gone Alexander breathed a sigh of relief, he was pleased for Veronique's sake that she would no longer have to put on a brave face in public. He knew she had been very ill and it was plain that although she was up and about she still hadn't completely recovered. Hr had tempted her into playing fun games in the bedroom and although she hadn't refused his advances her efforts had seemed half hearted , as though she was trying to please him but taking very little pleasure for herself.

Anna informed him that Veronique was waiting for him in the summer house and that is where he found her looking pale and rubbing her slowly swelling belly.

"How is our little one today, behaving himself I hope?" he began, then he sat beside her and took both of her hands in his.

"My love you look so frail, I am worried about you, you need a rest, a complete break from the estate so I propose taking you away for a few days, I know of an idyllic spot, I used to go there often when I was a boy, go fishing and swimming and sometimes take out a boat on the river and explore the river bank. 'Tis only a relatively short journey, about two hours by coach. My, how remiss of me I have not told you where this boyhood paradise is, well it is at a place called Henley On Thames, it will suit you admirably."

He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed them,

"Please say you would like to go, I have already made arrangements for Anna and Claude to look after everything here. PLEASE SAY YES."
 
How is our little one today, behaving himself I hope?

“He is quiet.” She had taken to calling the baby ‘he’, for no particular reason other than she could not think of the unknown as ‘it’. Just as easily she could have used ‘she’ but she had picked one and until the baby came it would be the masculine name.

Alexander then grew serious and she tensed worried at what could be coming next.

My love you look so frail, I am worried about you, you need a rest, a complete break from the estate so I propose taking you away for a few days, I know of an idyllic spot, I used to go there often when I was a boy, go fishing and swimming and sometimes take out a boat on the river and explore the river bank. 'Tis only a relatively short journey, about two hours by coach. My, how remiss of me I have not told you where this boyhood paradise is, well it is at a place called Henley On Thames, it will suit you admirably. Please say you would like to go, I have already made arrangements for Anna and Claude to look after everything here. PLEASE SAY YES.

*****

The coach rolled along the rutted road and as she glanced out the window she could see the countryside rolling by. Alexander held her close to him, one arm around her shoulders while the other gently rubbed her belly as if to sooth the little one and let him know that Daddy was here.

Once she had agreed, everything whirled around her. He did indeed have everything prepared and ready to leave. And apparently the entire estate was in on the plan. Caroline, the cook, already had a huge hamper of food prepared and packed, ensuring that at least for the rest of the day they should be well fed.

Anna had already packed her trunk, filled with dresses that were simple enough that even Alexander could help her get into and out of. She was going to have to eventually get some clothes for her confinement and several that she could grow into. She was finding it harder to do certain things even though she was still almost 4 months into her pregnancy.

And so, in what seemed like a flash she found herself cradled in Alexander’s arms as they headed off to Henley On Thames. As the miles passed and the distance between the manor and them increased, the dark cloud that seemed to envelop her since Bella’s arrival and death seemed to lift a bit.

She decided that at least for the present, she would put herself in her husband’s hand and let him handle everything. His hand stroking her belly seemed to calm her and she drifted off to sleep.
 
The carriage rolled through the changing countryside, bouncing over the rutted roads, occasionally jolting violently when a wheel hit a particularly deep hole, but Alexander held Veronique securely so she was not thrown about. Her head rested on his shoulder her face tilted towards him and as he looked down at her he felt full of love for her and bent to kiss her dainty pink lips that seemed so inviting, his hand stroked her bulging belly and he thought that he felt a very slight movement and his eyes opened wide in surprise and wonder, he wasn't sure if he had felt anything or not but he had to know for certain so rather reluctantly he woke Veronique,

"Pardon me for waking you from your slumber my sweet but I thought I felt our little rascal in there making his presence known, can you tell?"

He was not to get his answer as just at that moment the carriage came to a halt outside a charming inn called The Cherrytree Inn that lived up to its name, surrounded by flowers of every hue and a small cherry orchard at the rear with the blossom in full bloom.

The landlord came out to greet them in his leather apron and sleeves rolled up.

"Welcome Sir, you won't 'member me but oi 'member you, roight young rascal yew were, always cloiming me cherry trees, Ned Tucker's me name but go by the name o' Noddy seeing as 'ow oi'm always nodding me 'ead agreeing with ev'ryone."

Alexander placed his hands on his hips and roared with laughter then stepped forward and gave Noddy a big hug.

"Of course I remember you Noddy, you rendered my backside red several times as I recall, how do you stay so young looking though, it must be fifteen years since I last saw you? Let me introduce you to my wife, Lady Veronique, but as we are old friends there will be no standing on ceremony and during our stay we will be plain, ordinary, Alexander and Veronique."

Noddy bowed graciously to Veronique and kissed her hand,

"Good to meet yer Veronique, I see yer 've a little ankle biter on t'way. As fer yew Alexander yew fell on yer feet there, catching the eye of such a beauty."

"You are right there Noddy, I count my blessings every day."

'And night no doubt." Noddy mumbled to himself.

They went inside and Noddy had their baggage taken up to their room and Noddy poured them a mug of his best wine for Alexander and a glass of lemonade for Veronique. They conversed for a while mainly Noddy and Alexander swapping anecdotes of their youth until Alexander saw that Veronique was looking tired and insisted that they should go to their room.

Alexander undressed Veronique and saw how pronounced her baby bump was now and after undressing himself he crawled into bed with her and their naked bodies entwined as they kissed.

"Now my love, will you answer my question did I feel our young'un kicking or not?"
 
The Cheerytree Inn looked small and well kept. And the man that greeted them - Noddy - looked the picture of what an innkeeper should be. With his round red cheeks and infectious smile, she felt very welcomed to the place.

It tickled her that the man remembered Alexander and as late afternoon turned into evening, the two men were like long lost friends as they talked and laughed about the past. Veronique was tired, what with the stress of the past few days, and she was still a bit tense.

She was definitely ready when Alexander bid Noddy good night as they headed off to bed. Despite having slept part of the ride out here, she was finding that this baby was making her tired, which was not like her at all. It had to be all the stress from Bella and Percy.

Still, she was pleased with their room. It was small and neat, with windows that overlooked the garden out back. That would mean that they would have a quiet stay without all the clatter of the guest coming and going.

With his help she undressed, his hand gently rubbing the swell where the baby grew. She could see the the delight that lit his eyes as he looked at her nude body. It was with all the manners of a gentleman that he helped her into bed before he quickly divested himself of his own clothes. Climbing into bed beside her, he drew her against him for a tender kiss. Since the beginning of this whole sordid mess when Bella had arrived on their doorstep begging for aid, Alexander had understood her mood, being upset and pressed beyond all reason, and he had abstained from sex with her. Instead he had held her, kissing and holding her. She suspected that Doctor Fredrick had perhaps told him to back off for the time being. The break had been much needed.

The memory of poor Bella’s screams, of seeing her dead body, all of it had been a grim lesson. Women died in childbirth. It was a fact. She had been excited to be carrying Alexander’s child, but for this brief moment in time, she was a bit scared.

His kiss was deep and exploring and though she could feel his manhood pressing against her thigh, he did not push her to sex. Yet the warmth of his nude body pressed against her was comforting.

When he broke the kiss, his hand softly stroked her body, searching her tummy where his question lie.

Now my love, will you answer my question did I feel our young'un kicking or not?

She gave a small smile, suddenly shy. “I think that it might be. For the past couple of days I have been feeling little flutters, though what with everyone in and out of the house and all that has been...” She suddenly paused, blinking as she gasped.

Grabbing Alexander’s hand, she placed it to the side of her tummy, pressing it to the place where she had felt the funny feeling.

“Is that what you felt?” The look on his face told her that it was. “Perhaps he know last that we are talking about him and wishes to have his say in the matter.”

She could feel tears starting to gather. This made it all so overwhelming. This new life that grew within her. This child, the product of their love.

For a while they took turns feeling him move before Alexander could see her exhaustion and finally kissed her, just holding her close as if he could look inside her heart and see the fear and doubt that tried to grip it. His hand almost hypnotically stroked her back, her cheek, her tummy, until finally she relaxed in his arms as sleep claimed her.

Yet when he glanced at her sleeping face, he noted the drying tears that were caught in her eyelashes. And how, even in sleep, she clung to him, for now needing his strength and reassurance. This time from the manor and all its memories was desperately needed.
 
The morning sun shone brightly in their room through a gap in the thin pale blue curtains and shone into Alexander's eyes waking him, for a moment or two he wondered where he was then he remembered and felt Veronique's warm naked body against his, she was still sleeping and not wanting to wake her he tentatively stroked her swollen belly and smiled contentedly. With a smile his hand swept gently downwards until his fingers found the red twin hearts trimmed into her red pubic hair. He leaned over her and kissed her succulent lips, tasting her and her dainty pink tongue peeking from between her lips. As he kissed her she murmured softly in her sleep and rolled slightly so his large hand covered her sex. He felt the stirring in his groin and groaned to himself, he knew that for the past few days Veronique had been tired and distressed at the turn of events and he had respected that and not pressed her for any intimacy apart from kisses and cuddles to console her but she looked so beautiful and angelic as she lay there with her red hair splayed across the pillow he wanted her so badly, he wanted to make love to her and drive the demons from her mind and replace them with thoughts of his love for her.

The heel of his hand moved in small gentle circles on her little button that in the past had aroused her so much when they were about to make love. His long fingers traced the lips of her sex and along the soft furrow of her slit and he found them moist and he parted those wonderful fleshy lips and slid two fingers into the warm haven of her sex. Veronique murmured again although to Alexander it sounded like a needy moan and he began a gentle in-out motion with his two fingers. He was still fearful of waking Veronique as he could not be sure if she was ready yet to make love although not once since their wedding had she refused him his pleasure and had made him feel welcome in her arms and inside her. He whispered in her ear almost by way of apology.

"I will stop right now if you are not ready for me yet my sweet love."

His heart beat faster as he felt Veronique's hand trail up the inside of his hairy thigh and wrap her tiny fingers around his manhood.

He grinned and joked, "So, you little minx, you thought to deceive me, you have been awake the whole time ."
 
Slowly she became aware that it was morning as Alexander hand woke her. Already her body was reacting to her husband’s wandering fingers that tentatively sought out her sex. For the first time since this whole upsetting thing had happened, her first thoughts were not of Bella or baby Marcel or even Percy. Her first thoughts were of Alexander and her love for him. And of the baby that slept safely within her. She felt truly blessed.

As his fingers slid along her needy sex, she could not help as feelings of happiness began to flood through her. At first it seemed wicked. Yet she realized that despite her feelings of sadness and sorrow for the loss of Bella, she did have much to he thankful for. She had a husband that needed her and that she needed. She had a baby that needed her too.

He slid his fingers inside her warm moist sex causing a moan escaped her lips though she loathed to open her eyes. It was a gentle motion which was exactly what she needed. Gentleness. Gentleness for a while. His breath was in her ear as he whispered, I will stop right now if you are not ready for me yet my sweet love.

She knew his body well and therefore kept her eyes closed as she let her fingers find his manhood by feel alone. Once it found its prize, he chuckled as he said, So, you little minx, you thought to deceive me, you have been awake the whole time.

She smiled. Poor Alexander had been so thoughtful, so careful for the stress that she had been under, yet she was sure that he too had been under great stress.

Pulling him to her, she opened her mouth and kissed him, giving herself to him. Alexander kissed her with much enthusiasm like a drowning man reaches for a rope or a floating log. After several minutes wrapped up in each other’s arms, she whispered to him.

“My love, thank you for your patience since this ordeal began. I realize that it has been hard for you. I love you with all my heart and beg you to make love to me.”

And with that she smiled and once more pressed her body against his. She knew that though she may need gentleness now, she would recover and become her old self.
 
Veronique's kiss told him that she was ready and he gratefully and passionately returned it, sucking her moist tongue into his mouth and they remained close together for several minutes as his hand wandered over her silky lissom body, she felt wonderful as she lay in his arms.

'My love, thank you for your patience since this ordeal began. I realize that it has been hard for you. I love you with all my heart and beg you to make love to me.'

Gleefully he rolled her on her back and began to kiss her breasts and suckle her hard swollen nipples, he gently parted her legs and carefully so as to not put too much weight on her baby bump he slid into the warm, wet , silky haven that she was offering to him. His hips undulated on her as she caught his rhythm and pushed up her hips to meet his gentle thrusts. He felt as though he was in heaven as they made love, they were as one, moving together in harmony, he didn't want this to ever end but nature took its course and he could not prevent his hot creamy sperm from filling her. Veronique's soft moans told him that she was happy and when she shuddered shortly after his climax he knew that she was satisfied.

"'Tis good to be back, my sweet, I have missed you so much these past few days and I believe you have missed me, let us make a pact here and now to make love as often as is humanly possible."

They dressed casually in well worn clothes because as yet they had not decided what to do with their day. As they breakfasted Noddy was fussing around them although Alexander suspected that it was Veronique that kept him so attentive, she now had a glow in her cheeks that hadn't been there the day before and he wondered if the morning's activities had anything to do with that.

"We have not decided what to do this morning Noddy, have you any suggestions as to what we might do, nothing too strenuous mind."

"Well Master Alexander, 'tis a glorious day and you could do worse than take a boat out on the river, you remember Jeremiah? He has a few boats that he hires out for an 'our or for the day, you could do worse. Oi'll get me missus t'make up a picnic for yer."

"Thank you Noddy that sounds wonderful, what do you think my love? Do you fancy a day out on the water?"
 
It was wonderful to once again be in Alexander’s arms, and to have him making love to her. He was gentle and sweet and soon he was pressing deep into her warmth as he grunted and deposited his seed into her. And she quickly followed suit and came too so that her cream joined his. Still joined, he kissed her until his member slipped from her sex.

'Tis good to be back, my sweet, I have missed you so much these past few days and I believe you have missed me, let us make a pact here and now to make love as often as is humanly possible.

Her answer was a smile, a nod and a kiss. When they finally decided to arise, he helped her into a casual dress, one of the few that still made allowances for her growing belly though soon she would need to have some official dresses made to wear through the remaining time of her confinement.

Breakfast was wonderfully casual and lighthearted. And Alexander’s old childhood acquaintance was delightfully attentive and made her feel welcome to his inn. Such an departure from the ogling of Percy.

Meanwhile the two men discussed just how she and Alexander should spend the day. It was mentioned that perhaps a boat out on the river would be nice and she wholeheartedly agreed.

Soon they were heading out in a carriage with a well stocked basket of food at their feet. It was a beautiful day and Alexander enthusiastically pointed out favorite haunts from childhood, and they marveled over the beautiful new Henley Bridge. They laughed at the orchard where once as a little boy he had stolen fruit and got caught.

The river was beautiful and he had her wait in the carriage for a moment while he went inside to make arrangements. While she waited, she watched as several kids walked by on their way to go fishing at the river. It made her think about the child that she carried. Would it be a boy, mischievous and daring like his father? Or a girl, stubborn and impulsive like her? Either way, her life was definitely changing.

For a moment, thoughts of Bella and baby Marcel flashed through her mind but she pushed them away and made a conscious effort to relax and enjoy the day.
 
Last edited:
Alexander remembered Jeremiah from his childhood, he had seemed ancient even then but now he appeared younger than his seventy odd years. He greeted Alexander with a bear hug, smiling broadly through his bushy grey beard with his well worn beret perched on his head.

"Alexander Vernay you young rascal, I thought that you would never dare show your face in these parts again after leaving poor Rosemary in tears when you left."

Alexander coloured and said in his defence,

"'Twas for the best and you know it, we were never suited and we were both far too young, How is she by the way?"

"She is fine, married and with six children, makes me wonder how her husband has time to work. Talking of husbands and wives I heard on the grapevine that you allowed yourself to get caught, is this her?"

"Who do think it is Jeremiah you naughty old rogue? Of course it is she, my beautiful wife, Veronique," Alexander helped Veronique alight from the carriage, holding her hand and proudly presenting her to old Jeremiah.

"Veronique this is Jeremiah, a very dear friend and an inveterate scandal monger, so ignore whatever stories he tells you about me."

Jeremiah roared with laughter, "I might exaggerate a little but as always there is no smoke without fire."

"So Jeremiah to business as time is moving along, Noddy says you have boats for hire by the day, do you have one that you could entrust to us?"

"Of course Alexander, I have the very best, one with a two person seat and lots of cushions which it looks as though Veronique may well need, so long as you return by five of the clock and I know you are well."

He led them down to the water's edge and showed them his boats, five of them lined up bow to stern. Jeremiah showed them the boat they were to use and issued a final warning to Alexander.

"She's watertight and stable but no rocking her 'less you want to be swimming back."

Alexander laughed off the last part of the warning,

"Don't worry Jeremiah anything like that will take place on Terra Firma."

He turned to hold his hand out to Veronique and steadied her as she sat on the cushioned seat at the stern. Alexander peeled off his jacket and cravat and exposed his manly chest to the sun, bending his back to the oars they were soon in midstream and gliding through a brood of swans, ducks and ducklings which seemed to enchant Veronique as she reached out to touch their feathers , her face glowing with happiness.

"We'll let the current take us downstream and I'll try to save enough energy to row back." Alexander grinned as he shipped the oars and sat down beside Veronique and turned her face to kiss her.

"AAH, this is the life, not a care in the world." he whispered into her neck.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top