Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day, everyone. The Niners may not have won the Super Bowl, but they gave the Ravens a good run for the money.

perfidy - noun the quality or state of being faithless or disloyal: TREACHERY

Peculate

To embezzle or steal (especially public funds). Like I am going to do to Og's 150 word story and enter it in the competition described in that other thread! :D

I've always wanted to learn fly fishing. It seems such a peaceful pastime. (ooh, I suppose someone's done 'pastime'?) I did once go fishing off the coast of Wales when I was a student. I caught a mackerel and was very excited until my rugby league-playing boyfriend revealed he had a thing about eating fish he'd caught himself. We had to give that lovely fresh fish to the lady whose garden we were camping in and get fish and chips!

secateur n., (Chiefly British) scissors or shears, especially pruning shears, a small pair of shears for pruning, having a pair of pivoted handles, sprung so that they are normally open, and usually a single cutting blade that closes against a flat surface.

Etymology:
1880–85; < French [C19: plural of French sécateur, from Latin secāre to cut]< Latin sec ( āre ) to cut (see secant) + French -ateurs (plural) < Latin -ātor -ator chiefly ( Brit )

While it might not qualify as a seldom-used word for subjects of Her Majesty, it's a never-seen-before word for this hapless colonial. Who says the General Board is a vast wasteland? A tip of the hat to chipbutty for expanding my vocabulary.

secateurs are often all that're needed.
*snip*
-chipbutty
http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=43225912&postcount=259303

Last edited:
Good day, everyone. The Niners may not have won the Super Bowl, but they gave the Ravens a good run for the money.

perfidy - noun the quality or state of being faithless or disloyal: TREACHERY

Oh, dear! Her Majesty's subjects are not going to like this; the word is unfortunately closely associated with the phrase: Perfidious Albion.

Oh, dear! Her Majesty's subjects are not going to like this; the word is unfortunately closely associated with the phrase: Perfidious Albion.

That is an epithet given to us by the French. It is one of many insults about the English in the French language.

We English have almost as many, if not more, about the French:

French Leave - to go absent without leave, usually from the battlefield.
French Letter - condom
French postcard - dirty i.e. erotic postcard.
French pox - syphilis...

That is an epithet given to us by the French. It is one of many insults about the English in the French language.

We English have almost as many, if not more, about the French:

French Leave - to go absent without leave, usually from the battlefield.
French Letter - condom
French postcard - dirty i.e. erotic postcard.
French pox - syphilis...

but across the Pond, we're much more positive, perhaps a result of the support they gave during the Revolution...the warm welcome they gave Ben franklin may have helped as well...

French Kiss
French Fuck
French Tickler

but across the Pond, we're much more positive, perhaps a result of the support they gave during the Revolution...the warm welcome they gave Ben franklin may have helped as well...

French Kiss
French Fuck
French Tickler

But - Freedom Fries?

French Fries were actually Belgian.

But - Freedom Fries?

French Fries were actually Belgian.

Don't blame me for Bush's idiocy; I didn't vote for him.

Yes, well; we have this thing about Belgians...their waffles are ok, but Brussel Sprouts? and why do they insist on making chocolates in the shapes of sea shells? Yes, Og, the French have a better name here.

Don't blame me for Bush's idiocy; I didn't vote for him.

Yes, well; we have this thing about Belgians...their waffles are ok, but Brussel Sprouts? and why do they insist on making chocolates in the shapes of sea shells? Yes, Og, the French have a better name here.

I always thought that there was a catch in it somewhere.

If you make the chocolate shell, you can put all manner of sweeties in the hollow.

Just for the record, I admire the English and the French equally, the only real difference being, I can sort of understand the English, but must learn another language to understand the French, which I still hope to do, even in my advanced years.

perfervid - adj extremely fervent

Just for the record, I admire the English and the French equally, the only real difference being, I can sort of understand the English, but must learn another language to understand the French, which I still hope to do, even in my advanced years.

perfervid - adj extremely fervent

Perfervid, ma chere Allard, as you are in your pursuit of la langue francaise. And I think that you have done tres bien in writing for Mme Gigi's life in the Wild West.

Thank you, Tio dearest. The second novel in the series is coming along very well. Currently Madam Gigi and her entourage are floating down the Mississippi aboard the Alec Scott (same steamboat that had Samuel Clemens as a cub pilot a year later) having just left Baton Rouge, where they picked up one of William Walker's filibusterers after their defeat in Nicaragua. It is so much fun to write, I can hardly contain myself.

perfecto - noun a cigar that is thick in the middle and tapers almost to a point at each end

Do let me in on it, my darling unspouse; I can help with the French, if needed, and I've just spent a holiday where Walker met his demise.

Tio, I will be more than happy to share my chapters with you anytime you have the time. I thought I would be able to cross most of America and parts of Europe with one book, but there are just too many fascinating real-life characters in 1857 to do it all in one book. So, it is now, Bon Voyage - The American Tour, and Bon Voyage - The European Tour, or something like that, but two separate books at any rate. Baton Rouge is Chapter 12 and I still have New Orleans and Charleston to visit before reaching New York, where this book will likely end.

perfective - adj 1. archaic: tending to make perfect b. becoming better 2. expressing action as complete or as implying the notion of completion, conclusion, or result (~ verb)

Good! I've done quite a bit of research on Ante-Bellum Charleston, and am quite familiar with New York of that period as well. If I can't help, we can at least chat.

As far as Charleston goes, me, too, a lot of research. Do you know about Albert Pike? He is the one I am after in that town. I have decided to start revealing the plot to divide the United States that started back in 1857 and even earlier with the hope these threads will carry through the next several books as the time nears Fort Sumter.

What little I know of Pike doesn't touch much on Charleston; I know him mostly from his dealings with the Creeks and Cherokees during the War.

Well, the most powerful Masonic Lodge, The Scottish Rite, is still based in Charleston and Pike was one of its most influencial leaders. He divulged the Illuminati plan for all three world wars in the 1860s in a manuscript. His accuracy is most unnerving. A little Dan Brown with a splash of erotica and zombies in New Orleans for fun.

Well, the most powerful Masonic Lodge, The Scottish Rite, is still based in Charleston and Pike was one of its most influencial leaders. He divulged the Illuminati plan for all three world wars in the 1860s in a manuscript. His accuracy is most unnerving. A little Dan Brown with a splash of erotica and zombies in New Orleans for fun.

Oh it sounds so exciting! I do want to read your books, as soon as I've read that Japanese MM in which one of them is forced to train as a geisha, and Tio's Library story, written my latest chapter and brought the laundry in and fed my child with the other hand ....

I really wanted to do 'pukka' but Og got there first :(. I saw you were asking, Allard, if one could say a 'posh pukka suite' on a liner. I should say not. I never heard pukka used with other adjectives. It means sort of 'proper'. I think HP mentioned the phrase 'pukka sahib', which was adopted into Anglo-Indian speak and meant the real deal, someone John Buchan would describe as a 'white man'. In my time in the Hindu Khush (snigger) we would use it to mean something good and proper.

In India they have a nice term that means a similar thing: 'top class'. You have to to say it with a bit of a lilt and while snapping your fingers. My sister-in-law (who is from Mumbai) taught me how to do it but unfortunately the first person I tried it on, the chauffeur, responded with such enthusiasm that I became wary about who to say it to.

:rose:

I really wanted to do 'pukka' but Og got there first :(. I saw you were asking, Allard, if one could say a 'posh pukka suite' on a liner. I should say not. I never heard pukka used with other adjectives. It means sort of 'proper'. I think HP mentioned the phrase 'pukka sahib', which was adopted into Anglo-Indian speak and meant the real deal, someone John Buchan would describe as a 'white man'. In my time in the Hindu Khush (snigger) we would use it to mean something good and proper.

In India they have a nice term that means a similar thing: 'top class'. You have to to say it with a bit of a lilt and while snapping your fingers. My sister-in-law (who is from Mumbai) taught me how to do it but unfortunately the first person I tried it on, the chauffeur, responded with such enthusiasm that I became wary about who to say it to.

My Aunt used the terms Pukka & Chota quite often. Frankly, I think she did it to confuse me, but It is possible to be a senior something and not be pukka.
It's something or someone who is universally accepted as the "real deal".
Chota mean small, little or lesser. A Chota sahib would be one who is lesser in rank but a decent sort. Someone like the Boss's deputy.

My Aunt used the terms Pukka & Chota quite often. Frankly, I think she did it to confuse me, but It is possible to be a senior something and not be pukka.
It's something or someone who is universally accepted as the "real deal".
Chota mean small, little or lesser. A Chota sahib would be one who is lesser in rank but a decent sort. Someone like the Boss's deputy.

Oh yeah. The domestic staff used to call me the 'Chota Sahib' because I was in charge of them. My Dad was the main Sahib and my mum was the Memsahib but she didn't really deal with them - that was me. Chota Memsahib is a bit fluffy so I suppose they decided on Chota Sahib!

Only spoken by someone who was either trying [!!] to make some sort of inferior joke, OR, someone who really did not understand.

POSH suite; superior in comfort and location. [not Port Out, Starboard Home]
Pukka; the real deal, universally accepted as such.

Thanks, Handley and Naoko, for the education on the usage of those words.

perfect flower - noun a monoclinous flower

Anyone know of an example of the above entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back