Good online mental health evaluation

sethp

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Posts
12,834
Is there a good one? Not WebMD. I'm not really finding what I'm looking for. I need one with more detail...that's not quite right...more detailed questions? Depression Screening?
 
Last edited:
Is there a good one? Not WebMD. I'm not really finding what I'm looking for. I need one with more detail...that's not quite right...more detailed questions? Depression Screening?

The problem with online health evaluation for ANYTHING is that it it notoriously imprecise. There are a lot of factors at play, especially when it comes to mental health, such as one's history, one's personality, one's experience, situations, concerns, reactions and so forth?

Additionally, those evaluations will give you ALL possible diagnoses, everything from mild SAD to full-blown homicidal psychopathy. I mean, how many times did you type in "headache and numb thumbs" and got "Cancer, you will be dead last week" (when in fact, you probably were just really exhausted and typed too much)? Mental health is much more nuanced than physical health - I mean, we still don't fully understand how the brain works, and we are slowly only beginning to grasp on the depth of the mental health.

Online is a good resource once you have a better idea of what you are dealing with, but not for an evaluation.

Additionally, depression can be symptoms for many physical health ailments (such as hypothyroidism). I'm not trying to downplay depression, just the opposite. I'm trying to stress how important it is to see a qualified mental health care professional who can make a more accurate eval who can suggest a variety of treatments that is suited for YOU.

Best bet? Find a decent mental health professional who can give you a proper screening and ask them for good online resources. Many universities, particularly research tiers, will offer these services either for free or sharply discounted. You will be seen by a graduate student, who is closely supervised by a professional who probably wrote the book on your concern (in essence, you will be evaluated by said professional).

Not the answer you're looking for; I know. I'm sorry :eek:. Good luck in any case and kudos for looking into your mental health. It isn't easy but breathing easy is very much worth while :rose:
 
Last edited:
Is there a good one? Not WebMD. I'm not really finding what I'm looking for. I need one with more detail...that's not quite right...more detailed questions? Depression Screening?

Reading about depression might give you some insight on how other people experience it which may or may not make you feel a bit more normal experiencing it.

Assuming you don't have ready access to psychotropic medications the sort of things that you might do on your own for mild depression are mostly things that would do no harm in any case.

One of the problems with self help for depression is it's hard to get motivated to do any of the things that help when you're depressed. Such things as mining what you eat getting out and exercising and for that matter just getting out for fresh air and interacting with others is tough when you don't feel up to doing any of that. there's a reason that these things are sometimes described as downward spirals some of the symptoms feed into the problem. Lack of sleep or disrupted sleep tends to affect all of those things.

Talking to a friend can definitely help. Clarify in your mind what depression means to you and what it is you're experiencing so that you're ready if appropriate to reassure them that it's not feelings of sadness, feelings of, "poor me" or suicidal ideations which aren't necessarily the things that people are experiencing all the time when they're simply having clinical depression.

if you are having suicidal ideations even if they seem fleeting and silly and not something that you have any active plans to carry out you should still probably seek professional guidance. Don't feel that they're going to be shocked or clap you in a ward because you're going to harm yourself simply because you had such thoughts. Those thought are more symptomatic then likely to be followed through on, especially if you're willing to go get help.
 
I just did a quick search and found quite a list. I'll link one below just as an example. Seems most of these are only really simple screening tests and not suitable for self diagnosis aimed at self-treatment, etc (in other words, they will probably all tell you to see your local doctor). If you think you're depressed, then you probably are. Some great advice above, but as was said; When we're depressed the very last thing we want to do are things that will help us feel better. We're all kinda weird that way, I guess ;) Also, please try to remember that the holiday season is the worst time for depression to creep in....dark days, cold nights, too much Christmas cheer...or not enough Christmas cheer....you know what I mean.

Anyway, here's a link you can try; http://http://www.healthyplace.com/psychological-tests/quick-inventory-of-depressive-symptomatology/
 
People usually know the difference tween overwhelming life events and mystery pathology. An infectious disease often upsets our apple carts and puzzles us, but its just the natural course of the measles virus or whatever. If your mom dies or you lose your job, the cause of your mood is no mystery.

Do you know whats going on with you? if so or if not get adequate assistance. But pills and insights wont make the first days of disease better. Cold suck. Measles suck. If your pathology is a mystery, see an MD.
 
In person mental health screening can be terrifically imprecise - I can only imagine how inaccurate an online service would be. Really - as with all things health-related - the best thing to do in this instance is to go and talk to your doctor!
 
Back
Top