Black Hole Is Now A Racist Remark

We have that kind of shit where I live too. I keep waiting for them to throw down like they do in Parliament. Or maybe it's wanting them to.

I find it distressing that Commissioner John Wiley Price is so uneducated as to not know what a black hole is.
Or that he is really that interested in finding racism.

You should hear what some folks mistakenly think the origin of "calling a spade a spade" is. :eek:

No. People call spades all kinds of things (shovel) except spade.

I thought that one actually was racist, isn't it?

No. The phrase dates back to the ancient Greeks and was originally used to disparage the Macedonians [also Caucasian.] The phrase was used in English way back when and had no racial connotations [not even referring to the Macedonians.]

People should learn to not be so niggardly with their vocabulary.......Carney

I wonder if anybody ever complains about a hardware store selling jig saws. :eek:

Or about a reference to "honking a horn." :eek:

Or the popular cleaning product, Spic-n-Span. :eek:

I wonder if anybody ever complains about a hardware store selling jig saws. :eek:

Actually, I have heard complaints about Spin-n-Span. Probably because it was actually being used in a derogatory way.

BTW here's a spade a spade link

Did anyone read the article about racist babies? Apparently if toddlers don't enjoy "ethnic" food they are racists.

Now now children, if you don't stop the racism here I'll be forced to take away your Sit and Spins and sick the Rabid Miniture Scnauzers on you. (I would call on the rabid Chihauhaus but I can never remember how to spell that.:eek:)

A little thing I have learned over my admittedly short life is that a person who is looking for racism can and will find it in anything.

On Cape Cod they complained about the name of a restaraunt because it's name was racist. (Sambos. It's logo was a black cat.)

I have heard of people complaining about the police calls because they heard the officer comment that the perp. was a black male.

There is a rather large fish in the Grouper Family that was called a Jew Fish. The name was changed because it was potentialy derogatory.

Shall I go on?

Let's face it. Almost any remark you make can and will be offensive to someone. It's up to the person on the receiving end to wake the hell up.

Cat

A little thing I have learned over my admittedly short life is that a person who is looking for racism can and will find it in anything.

Yep

On Cape Cod they complained about the name of a restaraunt because it's name was racist. (Sambos. It's logo was a black cat.)

Haven't seen that children's book in an eternity.

Aunt Jemima.

I don't care what they rename, just don't mess with the sports teams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt
You should hear what some folks mistakenly think the origin of "calling a spade a spade" is.

I thought that one actually was racist, isn't it?

Occasionally, I have heard somebody being described as "Black as the ace of spades." That may be why some people see a racial connation in the expression "Calling a spade a spade."

Yep

Haven't seen that children's book in an eternity.

Aunt Jemima.

I don't care what they rename, just don't mess with the sports teams!

I have read complaints about Aunt Jemima and Unclel Ben's Rice. I don't know why there are no gripes about Chef Boy-ar-dee or Rosarita Refried Beans or Betty Crocker or Quaker Oats. I could probably think of quite a few more logos that are a person's face, and don't evoke any complaints.

I have read complaints about Aunt Jemima and Unclel Ben's Rice. I don't know why there are no gripes about Chef Boy-ar-dee or Rosarita Refried Beans or Betty Crocker or Quaker Oats. I could probably think of quite a few more logos that are a person's face, and don't evoke any complaints.

Because no one called a latino Rosarita just because of the beans, or a white woman Betty Crocker. But people have called blacks Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben.

Because no one called a latino Rosarita just because of the beans, or a white woman Betty Crocker. But people have called blacks Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben.

Actually around my family and friends "betty crocker" is one of the worst insults you can level at a person. Its not racial as it is food snobbery, but it used for people who eat mainly "steak and potatoe" meals with no spice or flair or the "open box, add water, bake" kind of cuisine.

We take our food very very seriously.

Rocket? No, I'm just glad to see ya!

Well, I am so relieved to discover that rascism is over and done with in
America and we can all just laugh about that silly stuff back in the old days....

But please excuse me if I am of an age that I just can't seem to find the humor in it....

-KC

'Commissioner John Wiley Price, who is black, interrupted him with a loud "Excuse me!" He then corrected his colleague, saying the office has become a "white hole." '

If this guy wasn't so obviously a total ignoramus he might have shot back that the office has become a "white dwarf." :rolleyes:

Yep they certainly have called Black Women Aunt Jemimia and Black Men Uncle Ben.

Again though isn't it all in the perception? All in how the word or name is used?

I once got my case jumped on because I told a guy he had his bandana tied like Aunt Jemima.

If you ever want to hear racist retoric listen to some of those who are the most vocal about it. Listen to their comments and the words they use.

The sad thing about racism is how it has become political. In many cases those who are claiming racism are doing so because it is politicaly expedient to do so.

One of the funniest things I ever heard was when a black male told me I was a racist and a Skin Head because I shaved my head. I asked him what that made him as he too shaved his head.

Cat

One of the funniest things I ever heard was when a black male told me I was a racist and a Skin Head because I shaved my head. I asked him what that made him as he too shaved his head.

Cat

Yeah. I bet no one ever called Yule Brenner a skinhead. At least not to his face.

Back