The Official Author's Hangout 2016 Valentine's Day Contest Support Thread

:rose: I went out for awalk and the wind blew some cobwebs out. I don't even have a story yet, but perhaps a theme.

Good deal. I had a pretty productive day, all things considered. But I'm still not sure I have an entry for Valentine's day.

Maybe what I need is a walk myself! :)

Good luck Magica!

Finished one, tentatively decided the second one just isn't that sexy. I'm saving the unfinished draft in case I change my mind, and I'd say there's a good chance I will. It's happened before.

Hmmmm. I stated a story Sunday and went back it today and as I was writing a jaguar showed up. Wrote himself right in. Now I have to go back and change the beginning since the cat seems to be here to stay. Anyone else have issues with characters appearing or doing what they want regardless of where you thought the story was going?

Hmmmm. I stated a story Sunday and went back it today and as I was writing a jaguar showed up. Wrote himself right in. Now I have to go back and change the beginning since the cat seems to be here to stay. Anyone else have issues with characters appearing or doing what they want regardless of where you thought the story was going?

Yep, I have a six-novel mystery series in the mainstream that started off with one protagonist and a pesky police detective entered toward the end of the first book, seduced and married the protagonist and then had equal billing for the rest of the series.

In the same series, my mother didn't like that I knocked off a character, so I had to figure out how to bring her back to life in the next novel in the series (but, just to be perverse, I knocked her off for good in that novel).

In the same series, my mother didn't like that I knocked off a character, so I had to figure out how to bring her back to life in the next novel in the series (but, just to be perverse, I knocked her off for good in that novel).

Haha, this is the type son I aspire to be!

I managed to write my story and get it edited - thank you, BT!
:rose:

I was thinking about having someone read it, but then the story would have to go into Text with Audio. It's such a classic Romance, and I would like to get the Romance readers onto it. As it's set in Victorian times, and I have a Victorian valentine card, I took a couple of photos to illustrate it. Laurel says I can still put it in Romance with the illustrations.
:)

I hope to get onto the suggested changes today. Just finished a second read-through of Hypoxia's story for him, which by coincidence is a historical romance too. Really recommend it when he uploads it - so much enjoyed reading it.
:heart:

Just finished a second read-through of Hypoxia's story for him, which by coincidence is a historical romance too. Really recommend it when he uploads it - so much enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for the edits and the praise! :kiss: I'm going over your edits now and will submit this soonest. Yes, we quibble. ;) Even stereotypical, Chan Li stays -- she and her prostitute sister are important in the unsafe sequel.

I'm curious -- does your period piece deal with historical people?

I'm rather proud that I've done an IRL celeb story. And yes, the Brandegees *were* celebs in their society. That bit about the railroads giving Mary an unlimited free pass for her southwest expeditions -- absolutely true. Railroad management exploited her for publicity as she exploited them for science.

I've wanted to tell the Brandegees' story for some decades now. I recall mentioning it to my current partner the day we met (botanizing!) in 1978.

But how can I follow up? I must find more actual historical folks to chronicle. Preferably in a Western Americana realm; I don't know Victoriana enough to write of Chas Babbage and Ada Lovelace. I've conjectured a farce of hacked early teledildonics (telegraphically-controlled solenoid dildos) involving Mary Todd Lincoln (Abe's wife) and a dramatic debug by young Tom Edison. Hmmm.

Thanks for the edits and the praise! :kiss: I'm going over your edits now and will submit this soonest. ...
I'm rather proud that I've done an IRL celeb story.
I don't know Victoriana enough to write of Chas Babbage and Ada Lovelace.
I really admired the amount of research you must have put into that. Absolute tour de force!

My own piece has fictional people but I tried to make the background details as realistic as I could, with very helpful advice from Bramblethorn and Bramblethorn's wife who seem to know all about this period. I partly based the story on this thing I read that Victorians invented the vibrator to help hysterical women, LOL. Apparently that is unfortunately untrue but by then I had had my splendid idea for a story so I decided not to let mere facts get in the way.

You have got the Sydney Padua book about Babbage and Lovelace? Maybe you can draw on that? I think I also draw on a lot of the literature I've read from the period, and literary studies about it. Then I Duckduckgo for detail and to confirm stuff.

I'll definitely try to submit something!
Yayy! go for it.
:)

Last edited:
I've put myself right up against the wall, as is my habit. It will make this much more difficult. I've never had an easy time writing for this contest. The intermingling of love and sex always eludes me. I either end up writing about love, punctuated by brief, unnecessary sex scenes, or I write about sex, backed by the inconsequential ramifications of love. It's a marriage I'm after. All of my stories end in divorce.

... I partly based the story on this thing I read that Victorians invented the vibrator to help hysterical women, LOL. Apparently that is unfortunately untrue but by then I had had my splendid idea for a story so I decided not to let mere facts get in the way.

It isn't untrue. They were invented to save doctors from doing the stimulation manually. But of course, being Victorians, they wouldn't advertise them as sexual stimulators:

http://mashable.com/2015/02/20/history-of-vibrators/#lpZpKqeNOkqX

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/sep/07/how-the-vibrator-caused-buzz

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201303/hysteria-and-the-strange-history-vibrators

It isn't untrue. They were invented to save doctors from doing the stimulation manually.

Sadly, it is apparently untrue, so this earlier Guardian article claims:
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...invent-vibrator-orgasms-women-doctors-fantasy

Fiction definitely better than truth in this instance, I felt, though.

I've put myself right up against the wall, as is my habit. It will make this much more difficult. I've never had an easy time writing for this contest. The intermingling of love and sex always eludes me. I either end up writing about love, punctuated by brief, unnecessary sex scenes, or I write about sex, backed by the inconsequential ramifications of love. It's a marriage I'm after. All of my stories end in divorce.

But you write the agony of the divorce so magnificently well!
:rose:

The issue I have is that if the characters are too real and the relationship is well-developed and I've gone for realistic love, I have no desire to write a sex scene at all. Who wants to be a voyeur to intimacy? I don't. I want to just shut the door and leave them alone. If I'm going to write a heavily sex-based story, I have to plan around it. It has to be the primary thing. You have to go whole hog or not--at least, that's what I've found.

I really admired the amount of research you must have put into that. Absolute tour de force!
I immersed myself in a couple of modern biographical sources but I've known the outline, background, and settings for decades. It's almost like cheating. :D

You have got the Sydney Padua book about Babbage and Lovelace? Maybe you can draw on that?
No, I've not seen that. Some time may pass before I'm comfortable writing in their milieu. I need a warm-up.

Meanwhile, other contest stories are demanding my efforts. Bother.

It isn't untrue. They were invented to save doctors from doing the stimulation manually. But of course, being Victorians, they wouldn't advertise them as sexual stimulators...
I'd twist history and have Michael Faraday invent a variable-frequency solenoid-driven vibrator. Samuel Morse designs the telegraph-control interface. Various ladies of stature secretly order and use the device, learning just enough telegraphy to change speed and angle. Some nefarious nogoodnick (I don't know whom yet) hacks the lines and sends the devices into erotic overload. Young Tom Edison intercepts the hackd codes and tracks down the malefactor. Et cetera.

The issue I have is that if the characters are too real and the relationship is well-developed and I've gone for realistic love, I have no desire to write a sex scene at all. Who wants to be a voyeur to intimacy? I don't. I want to just shut the door and leave them alone. If I'm going to write a heavily sex-based story, I have to plan around it. It has to be the primary thing. You have to go whole hog or not--at least, that's what I've found.

Personally speaking, intimacy is the act I most want to be a voyeur to. There are places, many of them, that I can see decadence and debauchery on a per minute rate.

Actual intimacy, that I can't purchase so easily. And I'm willing to pay far more for it. In a world as cold and lonely as this one, I'd buy it by the pound at any price and consider myself to have gotten a great deal.

Last edited:
Sadly, it is apparently untrue, so this earlier Guardian article claims:
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...invent-vibrator-orgasms-women-doctors-fantasy

Fiction definitely better than truth in this instance, I felt, though.

All they had to do was read Aristotle's Masterpiece:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle's_Masterpiece

I have had, and sold, several 19th Century copies.

as-1.png

Last edited:
An opposite viewpoint, and understandable. I find it very hard to write when the two people are in an intimate relationship. The way I handled it in one story was to tell the sex scene in flashbacks, through the perspective of one of the characters. That worked for me, I didn't feel like I was intruding.

Personally speaking, intimacy is the act I most want to be a voyeur to. There are places, many of them, that I can see decadence and debauchery on a per minute rate.

Actual intimacy, that I can't purchase so easily. And I'm willing to pay far more for it. In a world as cold and lonely as this one, I'd buy it by the pound at any price and consider myself to have gotten a great deal.

An opposite viewpoint, and understandable. I find it very hard to write when the two people are in an intimate relationship. The way I handled it in one story was to tell the sex scene in flashbacks, through the perspective of one of the characters. That worked for me, I didn't feel like I was intruding.

Home is where the heart is was my 2012 V-day entry. It didn't win, but yet has stayed between 1-5 on the all time Mature list:rolleyes:

But it was seven pages of building up the relationship and romance, but when I did get to the sex it wasn't hardcore 'fuck me baby" but it wasn't vanilla and it went over well.

It depends on the characters in my case it was an older woman who hadn't been with anyone in a long time and her marriage had been a bad one. So I figure it was realistic for her to cut loose quite a bit.

I agree - this is really hard for me as well. Sweet and poignant minus the saccharine is so hard to do.

I just watched a movie that had me in tears about a hard love story - Never Let Me Go, from the book by Kazuo Ishiguro. Anyone else read/watched this?

Last edited:
A brilliant novel. One of several by that author.

Never Let Me Go is widely considered to be one of the 100 greatest novels of all time. Well deserved.

I agree - this is really hard for me as well. Sweet and poignant minus the saccharine is so hard to do.

I just watched a movie that had me in tears about a hard love story - Never Let Me Go, from the book by Kazuo Ishiguro. Anyone else read/watched this?

I suppose I don't understand the idea of not intruding on my characters. I want to intrude, if I am being honest. As deeply and invasively as I possibly can. I want to strip them bare, emotionally speaking. I want to reveal something in them that reflects something inherent in myself, in the reader, and establish a momentary connection that conjures honest feeling, if even for a second.

I generally fail. But that is always my goal.

I will have to think about this idea of privacy for the characters. It is an interesting concept.

Readers are voyeurs who get thrills by following the exploits of the characters. Close the doors, there's no reason for them to read because for the most part this is a sex site.

Well its only something that affects writing sex scenes among certain characters. Perhaps I'm a closet Puritan as someone has suggested to me? At times gah, I just want to draw the veil over the nakedness.

I suppose I don't understand the idea of not intruding on my characters. I want to intrude, if I am being honest. As deeply and invasively as I possibly can. I want to strip them bare, emotionally speaking. I want to reveal something in them that reflects something inherent in myself, in the reader, and establish a momentary connection that conjures honest feeling, if even for a second.

I generally fail. But that is always my goal.

I will have to think about this idea of privacy for the characters. It is an interesting concept.

Back