The Makeup Fairy Returns!

Highlighting and contouring done properly takes beauty to the next level. Keyword properly. Lol

Sali Hughes in The Guardian seems to know her stuff - I was intrigued by her piece on contouring today and dipped into her previous pieces. Any thoughts?

She's great, I love her articles!

Satin, do you think I could just curl my hair on hot rollers instead of the iron, then break the curls and proceed as she did after the she took down all her pin curls? I'm so much more proficient with hot rollers than I am with a curling iron. Granted, not all the rollers are the same size, but do you think that will matter much?

Sure! Just do smaller curls and you'll be fine!

You're welcome, CnC! I hope it works better for you than it did for me. Today's trial run was an epic fail. I will say that I don't have the setting lotion right now, so maybe that was part of it? But she's also working with a curling iron, and I haven't done that in ages. Although my hair is not layered, when I was curling it and trying to catch in the ends, there were these little under layers that kept falling down. It was so irritating! My curls were NOT all nice and smooth like hers were.

I have a suggestion that might work for you. If you watch her, you can catch this every now and then. She has long hair, let's say it is 18" long for the sake of ease of conversation. She curls the bottom 9" closest to the end of her hair first. Once she has a spiral curl there, she drops it and moves up and curls the top 9" section closest to her scalp until it is a spiral. This reduces the amount of hair on the iron at one time, and increases the heat to the hair, which in turn increases the hold of the curls. Learned that from one of my hair dressers. I have quite thick, curly hair, and I have to use this method to curl my hair. Maybe you can use a curling iron this way successfully as opposed to curlers, if you want to try again :)

I have a suggestion that might work for you. If you watch her, you can catch this every now and then. She has long hair, let's say it is 18" long for the sake of ease of conversation. She curls the bottom 9" closest to the end of her hair first. Once she has a spiral curl there, she drops it and moves up and curls the top 9" section closest to her scalp until it is a spiral. This reduces the amount of hair on the iron at one time, and increases the heat to the hair, which in turn increases the hold of the curls. Learned that from one of my hair dressers. I have quite thick, curly hair, and I have to use this method to curl my hair. Maybe you can use a curling iron this way successfully as opposed to curlers, if you want to try again :)

I did miss that, so thanks ever so much for pointing it out, CnC. I picked up the setting lotion today (was able to find the one you talked about, Satin), so we'll see if that helps too. I'll give it another couple of trial runs before I give up on the iron.:)

I did miss that, so thanks ever so much for pointing it out, CnC. I picked up the setting lotion today (was able to find the one you talked about, Satin), so we'll see if that helps too. I'll give it another couple of trial runs before I give up on the iron.:)

Practice makes perfect! :)

Hey Fairy Fans! I'm coming to give you LIFE with a brand new Cut Crease Tutorial with my girl Christina "Chrisspy" from Ipsy fame. This is "HOW TO SLAY A CUT CREASE"!

She details the products you'll need, the brushes you'll want to use, and even how to hold the brushes for maximum impact and precision!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0aOgaIqJ9k

I can't see how an oil could lead to dryness unless you were using JUST coconut oil on your skin, had naturally very dry skin, and didn't use a moisturizer afterward.

Remember, oil CANNOT moisturize. Only WATER can. It "Feels" wet due to the fact that it's a liquid, but in fact all oils are technically "dry".

Oil makes an emollient barrier that traps the water INSIDE your skin and prevents it from evaporating, but in order to actually moisturize the skin, you must apply something that contains water in it.

I just wanted to thank you for this Satin! I use grape seed oil on my face (which works better for me than anything else) but I still had dry flakes at times. I started wetting my face down a bit before applying it and it's working even better! Whohoo!

I just wanted to thank you for this Satin! I use grape seed oil on my face (which works better for me than anything else) but I still had dry flakes at times. I started wetting my face down a bit before applying it and it's working even better! Whohoo!

I'm so glad I was able to help! :D:heart:

Any and all things about hyper pigmentation!

I have the WORST problem with it. It takes dark spots FOREVER to fade. I was using Clinque's "Even Better" daily moisturizer, but at $50 a bottle, I recently switched over to Ambi's daily moisturizer for a more cost effective fade. I can't say I'm seeing the same results, so I guess only time will tell!

Do you have any good recommendations for spot fading that isn't a bleaching cream? I know that Ambi has a spot fade cream, and Palmer's (my go-to for other skincare rituals) has a Even Tone night fade cream I've been tempted to try. I've also heard good things about OST's serum (a Korean beauty product).

Any and all things about hyper pigmentation!

I have the WORST problem with it. It takes dark spots FOREVER to fade. I was using Clinque's "Even Better" daily moisturizer, but at $50 a bottle, I recently switched over to Ambi's daily moisturizer for a more cost effective fade. I can't say I'm seeing the same results, so I guess only time will tell!

Do you have any good recommendations for spot fading that isn't a bleaching cream? I know that Ambi has a spot fade cream, and Palmer's (my go-to for other skincare rituals) has a Even Tone night fade cream I've been tempted to try. I've also heard good things about OST's serum (a Korean beauty product).

You can naturally lighten spots with a cheap at home treatment! You can do this treatment once a week for serious spots, or just when your skin needs extra brightening!

Simply juice one lemon into a glass or microwave safe bowl, add a tablespoon of milk and a tablespoon of tumeric to it. Warm it gently until it's lukewarm, stir thoroughly and apply generously all over your entire face, neck, hands or wherever you have uneven pigmentation.

Allow it to dry, then wash off with your normal cleanser routine and USE A TONER! Tumeric can be stubborn!

This short list of ingredients have been used together for thousands of years in Southeast Asia to even skin tone!

Hi Satin, I'm wondering if you've ever run into hair color fading due to retinol skin care products. I color my hair dark and it seems as though it fades fast at my hairline. I use RoC serums and moisturizers and I'm trying to keep them away from my hair. Just curious if you've ever seen this happen before.
Thanks!

Hi Satin, I'm wondering if you've ever run into hair color fading due to retinol skin care products. I color my hair dark and it seems as though it fades fast at my hairline. I use RoC serums and moisturizers and I'm trying to keep them away from my hair. Just curious if you've ever seen this happen before.
Thanks!

Oh absolutely! You can avoid a majority of this by spreading a thin layer of petroleum jelly around your hairline before applying your retinoids and making sure you let the products sink into your face AT LEAST 30 MINUTES before bedtime- PLUS make sure you are sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase to avoid product absorption and contamination into your hair during bedtime. WARNING: DO NOT BUY EXPENSIVE SUPER LUXURIOUS PILLOWCASES FOR THIS PURPOSE, the retinoids will eventually wreck them. Sorry! Check Ebay for inexpensive satin pillowcases marketed to people with eyelash extensions, or people who are trying to maintain straightened hairstyles.

You definitely want to wear retinoids at night but the longer you wait before you go to sleep to make sure they're fully absorbed, the better.

That should help! Let me know! :)

Last edited:
If I can't be myself then there is no reason for that post.

Last edited:
Hi Satin,

What is your opinion on waterproof mascara? Do you feel it damages lashes? I've been using waterproof for about 10 months and haven't noticed a difference but now I'm getting paranoid about lash health. (What can I say, there are certain things I get a little neurotic about.:rolleyes:)

Thanks!,
Red

No, because giving them the satisfaction is exactly what they want.

The trolling was reported to the mods and I'll leave it at that.

My thread is too important to derail.

I stand corrected.

Here it does not come!

Hi Satin,

What is your opinion on waterproof mascara? Do you feel it damages lashes? I've been using waterproof for about 10 months and haven't noticed a difference but now I'm getting paranoid about lash health. (What can I say, there are certain things I get a little neurotic about.:rolleyes:)

Thanks!,
Red

Some waterproof mascara can be drying to the actual hair, due to it's formulation needing to be impenetrable to water, and water being the thing that keeps our bodies (including our hair!) moist. Remember, OIL CANNOT MOISTURIZE, ONLY WATER CAN! When a product is waterproof, that means that not only can water not penetrate it as easily as non-waterproof forulas, but water cannot therefor reach the lash hair and be absorbed by it. Wearing waterproof mascara overnight is a BIG NO NO because it can actually do severe long term dryness to the point of LASH BREAKAGE from dehydration!

The best way to prevent lash dryness is to use a moisturizing lash serum or some sort of nourishing oil treatment at night after removing your eye makeup and that should prevent any problems.

I actually recommend waterproof formulas to most people just because many folks have oily lids and get mascara smudges and flakes if they don't.

In order to prevent dryness, your steps would be-

Eye makeup removing using makeup remover, petroleum jelly or oil
Facial cleansing
Exfoliation (optional)
Pat dry
Moisturize, Serums and oils and anti-acne medications (thinnest products first, followed by thickest formulas)
Eye products and lip products

Eye products should be one of your last steps in skin care!

FWIW, it's not neurotic AT ALL to be worried about lash health, because lashes are one of the first things to go with aging and sickness. They're actually very fragile, in a very delicate area, and care must be taken in order to preserve them!

I have always said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and it's best to treat your lashes carefully now than try and correct any problems that arise later! :eek::heart:

Organic cold pressed castor oil is actually a fantastic nourishing oil treatment for the lashes and has proven to be a cheap and HIGHLY EFFECTIVE lash growth product that is far less expensive and finicky than products like Latisse. Give it a try!

Last edited:
Greetings fairy fans! I'm coming here with a few tips to help you beat the dry cold winter air and keep your skin and hair moist, lustrous and fresh looking! We're going to be discussing OIL CLEANSING and COCONUT OIL in today's post, so if you're interested, stay tuned!

COCONUT OIL

No doubt if you've been paying attention to the internet in the last year, you've noticed a huge upswing in the trend of using organic, cold-pressed coconut oil for EVERYTHING in beauty care! From treating dry scalps to anti-aging packs and after-shave-care to prevent razor burn, this super nourishing and gentle oil is WONDERFUL for your skin, even delicate areas like the bikini line and eyes!

HOW TO USE COCONUT OIL FOR HAIR AND SCALP CARE

My favorite application of coconut oil for the hair and scalp is as a hot oil treatment pre-shampoo.

COCONUT HOT OIL TREATMENT: THINGS YOU'LL NEED!

One towel, preferably one you don't mind getting oily
Organic cold-pressed coconut oil (amount varies on hair length)
Microwave safe container
Microwave
Spray bottle with warm water (optional)
Comfortable pj's (optional)

Before you start, make sure to change into comfortable clothes you don't mind getting damp or oily!

I like to dampen my hair with a spray bottle or a short stint under a warm shower to make sure your hair is wet. Make sure it's not dripping wet, but damp.

You'll want to use one tablespoon per handspan of hair. Measure your hair from the crown of your head, and measure down to the tips, rounding up. Drop the tablespoons of oil into the microwave safe container and warm just until melted and lukewarm.

WARNING: TEST THE OIL ON THE BACK OF YOUR HAND BEFORE APPLYING TO SCALP! You do NOT want to burn your scalp!

Next, drape the towel over your shoulders and apply the oil generously to your scalp and the ends of your hair. Work any remaining product through the rest of your hair. Comb through gently with a wide-tooth comb, and comb thoroughly for best results! Wrap your hair in the towel and let it sit for AT LEAST TEN MINUTES. Thirty is best, overnight is AMAZING.

Shampoo and condition as usual, and for an extra boost of shine, use just a dab on any dry ends to seal in their moisture! Enjoy your deliciously coconut-scented hair all day!

OIL CLEANSING

Now I know what you're thinking. "How on earth can I use an OIL to cleanse my face without breaking out or being SUPER GREASY?!

Now, I can't promise you that this process won't exacerbate your acne. SOme people find that oil cleansing actually IMPROVES their acne, and some people find that it makes it worse! But for the people who CAN oil cleanse, you will thank the GODS that you discovered this amazing oil, which will leave your skin feeling so silky smooth you won't be able to stop touching it!

HOW IT WORKS

Basic chemistry states that "Like Dissolves Like". When you use an oil to cleanse your skin, the coconut oil is attracted to and attaches itself to the oils, cosmetics and sebum in your skin and actually PULLS IT OUT like a magnet! The nourishing oil is packed with essential vitamins, minerals and nutritious ingredients like Lauric Acid, which is also found in human breast milk, and some studies find a link to Lauric Acid and acne prevention! It also contains Linoleic Acid which is an omega-6 fatty acid that your body converts to an anti-inflammatory which can reduce redness and irritation in the skin!

HOW TO OIL CLEANSE WITH COCONUT OIL

I highly recommend oil cleansing to people with mature, dry or sensitive skin prone to rashes when using soap cleansers!

Dampen your face with warm water. Apply a generous amount of coconut oil on your face, including the eye and lip area if you're wearing long-wearing cosmetics. Massage gently for 2 minutes, then remove using a makeup wipe, warm damp washcloth, or your normal facial cleanser for a one-two punch of extra clean and nourished skin!

Coconut oil is a fantastic natural makeup remover and can get even the most stubborn waterproof mascara and lip stains out!

That's it for today, Fairy Fans! If you have any questions about the many applications of coconut oil as a beauty treatment, or any questions about ANYTHING fashion or beauty related, please feel free to contact me here or via PM!

I heard you are a fraud.

You're getting your information about me from a known Lit troll with a massive, stalkerish, creepy grudge against me for no good reason, who knows nothing about my life and has been caught red-handed spreading lies against me more than once. Take that information and do what it what you will. This is literally the only thing I will say about it due to the fact that this thread is about HELPING PEOPLE and I will not turn it into a platform for him or the people he lies about me to, to come in and be creepy again.

No, she's satindesire. Smelling vaguely coconutty.

It's true. I don't even have to use perfumes or body mists anymore, I just smell awesome all the time now. :D

Back