Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

If you'd like two kind souls, B_J, I can take a look at your intro, and I have no Shetland Unicorn Pony of my own to worry about. :D

Jason's on to it, with his new grooming set and ribbons. Gotta keep it looking good for the cover ;).

Beta-reading

Would anyone mind looking at the first thousand words of my story in progress? It pretty much encapsulates the set-up for the story, main character and overall setting/theme that I have in mind. I've written erotica and sci-fi, but I'm more than a bit out of my comfort zone writing erotic sci-fi and I'd like a second opinion to see if it's coming out stilted or inaccessible. Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for the beta read offers. Mails have been sent and I'm drea... eagerly awaiting your opinions. Now, where did I put that flame-retardant suit again? :)

Would anyone mind looking at the first thousand words of my story in progress? It pretty much encapsulates the set-up for the story, main character and overall setting/theme that I have in mind. I've written erotica and sci-fi, but I'm more than a bit out of my comfort zone writing erotic sci-fi and I'd like a second opinion to see if it's coming out stilted or inaccessible. Thanks!

I can give it a look, Alice. :) PM sent.

I'm In

Funny,

I've been full-on Geek along along. Now I can be proud of it.

I'm looking forward to submitting to this :)

ShyChiWriter

Funny,

I've been full-on Geek all along. Now I can be proud of it.

I'm looking forward to submitting to this :)

ShyChiWriter
Wonderful!

I noticed your stories had returned very recently as well, so welcome back! We've never spoken directly, but I know your name by reputation in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy comments section concurrent with my earliest submissions.

Most delighted to have you aboard, ShyChiWriter! :D

Thanks to all of you who offered to beta-read my stuff. Your opinions were most useful (and quite a relief). Now I can happily get back to writing. Almost 10k words in and *still* no shipwreck yet. Gotta get my ass in gear really soon :)

Is this an official Literotica contest?

Heyla, Loquere!

It is an official Literotica event, fully sanctioned by Laurel and Manu.

However, it is not a "contest" per se.

There will be no extended voting comparison to declare three winners. All submitted stories for the event will be published in bulk on that one day, "Geek Pride Day," 25 May.

And there will be no cash prizes as with the six special contests listed in the yearly itinerary.

I admit I cribbed the idea shamelessly from GoldenMaia's Spring Fling from a couple of years ago. But, at first, I was just trying to motivate myself to write something. Then a few more people jumped on the bandwagon.

And Mistress Laurel shocked and astounded me when she called me to the throne to ask me to make it a little more official.

Let me reiterate, however, that in this case, it is not so much a competition with cash prizes on the line. But a fun event with Geek Cred (as opposed to Street Cred) hanging in the balance for each of us that chooses.

As I recall, you were willing to participate in GoldenMaia's event a couple of years ago, and if you are willing and able, I'm sure several of us would enjoy if you could make an effort to set something to print to celebrate the Geeks (and a few Nerds) amongst us on 25 May in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy Category.

I like this, with no prize this should be a less stressful contest.

Heyla, Loquere!

It is an official Literotica event, fully sanctioned by Laurel and Manu.

However, it is not a "contest" per se.

There will be no extended voting comparison to declare three winners. All submitted stories for the event will be published in bulk on that one day, "Geek Pride Day," 25 May.

And there will be no cash prizes as with the six special contests listed in the yearly itinerary.

I admit I cribbed the idea shamelessly from GoldenMaia's Spring Fling from a couple of years ago. But, at first, I was just trying to motivate myself to write something. Then a few more people jumped on the bandwagon.

And Mistress Laurel shocked and astounded me when she called me to the throne to ask me to make it a little more official.

Let me reiterate, however, that in this case, it is not so much a competition with cash prizes on the line. But a fun event with Geek Cred (as opposed to Street Cred) hanging in the balance for each of us that chooses.

As I recall, you were willing to participate in GoldenMaia's event a couple of years ago, and if you are willing and able, I'm sure several of us would enjoy if you could make an effort to set something to print to celebrate the Geeks (and a few Nerds) amongst us on 25 May in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy Category.

14k words in four days. Not bad, all things considered.

The sad part? I'm nowhere NEAR the plot points I initially had planned out. But it's a fun ride!

I hope I can make the deadline.

The sad part? I'm nowhere NEAR the plot points I initially had planned out. But it's a fun ride!

Gotta admit that's where I am too, Blind_Justice. Lost in thought and wondering if that whooshing sound was the deadline going by. But, hey! At least it's familiar territory for me! :D

There are still just a little under two full months, however. So, plenty of time for us (and anyone else reading this) to get our Geek-face on. At least as long as we don't let any moss grow on our keyboards!

Come to think of it, why are you (and I mean you, the reader of this) chilling in the forums instead of writing?! Chop chop! Two months isn't that long in writing time!

I'm here a) for the lovely company and b) to get away from the voices in my head. Even a mad scientist needs a break sometimes.

I know the feeling! I'm up to 15C words already. Yeah, that's 1,500 words. At this rate I'm going to need every hour of those two months until the deadline.

One of these days I'm going to retire and I'll be able to spend as much time writing as I want to. But not today, I'm afraid.

I know the feeling! I'm up to 15C words already. Yeah, that's 1,500 words. At this rate I'm going to need every hour of those two months until the deadline.

One of these days I'm going to retire and I'll be able to spend as much time writing as I want to. But not today, I'm afraid.

Don't feel too bad- it's slow going for me too. I have most of it mapped out in my head, but I try not to 'overthink' it because otherwise I might not write it. Focus on letting the story unfold organically, steadily, like good sex, instead of meeting a key/stroke quota. You'll finish sooner every time.

Don't feel too bad- it's slow going for me too. I have most of it mapped out in my head, but I try not to 'overthink' it because otherwise I might not write it. Focus on letting the story unfold organically, steadily, like good sex, instead of meeting a key/stroke quota. You'll finish sooner every time.

I've churned 13k since I started, with only two little erotic interludes. Damn world building, I'm getting caught up in it! But the science is all established now, so I can get on with the real deal.

I've churned 13k since I started, with only two little erotic interludes. Damn world building, I'm getting caught up in it! But the science is all established now, so I can get on with the real deal.
I can't wait to read it!
And here I am, 1500 words in and starting the first sex scene. Establishment be damned ;-)

Sex scenes? It took me upwards of 5k words just to get a quick handjob in. :)

What can I say- I move quickly ;-)
I figure a lot of my world's tech/history/culture is either already established in cultural mythos or explained through context, so I started with a non sex scene to give it texture. And I figure it's erotica, and sex is a good way to flesh out a character so to speak, so that's where I went to give it some flavor. Then to really start weaving the plot...

What can I say- I move quickly ;-)
I figure a lot of my world's tech/history/culture is either already established in cultural mythos or explained through context, so I started with a non sex scene to give it texture. And I figure it's erotica, and sex is a good way to flesh out a character so to speak, so that's where I went to give it some flavor. Then to really start weaving the plot...

Interesting way to go about it. For me, it's plot first and the sex happens when (and sometimes if) the plot demands it. :)

It will be interesting reading yours when it's done.

Interesting way to go about it. For me, it's plot first and the sex happens when (and sometimes if) the plot demands it. :)

It will be interesting reading yours when it's done.
Oh, the plot demands it ;-)
I'm excited about reading everyone's stories. The working title for mine is 'Public Static Void', and it's dystopian cyberpunk so the name might just stick as a slightly poetic/definitely geeky java reference.

Oh, the plot demands it ;-)
I'm excited about reading everyone's stories. The working title for mine is 'Public Static Void', and it's dystopian cyberpunk so the name might just stick as a slightly poetic/definitely geeky java reference.

You had me at "Cyberpunk" :)

No idea how I'm gonna call mine. The file is labeled "the prisoner", but that's only the protag's background. It's supposed to be a kinda sorta space opera with eventual action adventure parts mixed in. Considering my current trajectory, it might be another 10-15k words until I get there :)

Last edited:
I can't wait to read it!
And here I am, 1500 words in and starting the first sex scene. Establishment be damned ;-)

My betas will say this is typical of me. "How many bloody buttons does your spacesuit have, EB?"

"Zips, guys, zips. And clever seals, to keep the air in. It's space, remember."

"No wonder you've taken 13000 words. Without buttons, your characters don't know how to get undressed."

Maybe a naked alien will save some time...

Still, I'm guessing it'll be the first time a NASA transcript features in a Lit story.

You had me at "Cyberpunk" :)
Yeah, she had me, too. :D And my Uber-William-Gibson-Fan Coworker.

"Texture" is a good word for that opening scene. Perfect Al Dente. ;)

No idea how I'm gonna call mine. The file is labeled "the prisoner", but that's only the protag's background. It's supposed to be a kinda sorta space opera with eventual action adventure parts mixed in. Considering my current trajectory, it might be another 10-15k words until I get there :)
Well, if the protag's "legacy" status applies to the overarching plot at all (don't know if it does, but that detail was interesting to me), please make it a subtle reference to Windows OS somehow? :D

Back