Handwriting or Typing?

That's the beauty of working outside. Nightly cleanup is a requirement. When we're not at the campground, I work on my bed. Just another reason I live for summer.
I'm trying to stifle a wiseass comment here. Really I am! :D

Since I can remember writing, I've loved writing by hand, with a fountain pen if I have one with me. Even better if I start a new notebook - a truly sensuous experience (no sex involved, just the feeling , Pilot ;) ). I love writing in coffeehouses, in my bed on my lap, at a desk, wherever... I used to HAVE to start writing something in longhand - whatever it was - and then, when the edits got to be too much to look at and to follow, I would transcribe it to my computer, editing again in the process. I am less likely to start in longhand these days and more likely to go straight to my laptop. I have a single computer, my laptop, and I drag it everywhere, almost always, In fact I am writing this in a coffeehouse as we speak - but on an iPad sitting next to my laptop, on which I am working. Division of labor, division of love...

I always used to get so excited to start a new journal. It's like a blank canvas. It is definitely a very sensuous experience. Hmm . . . Now I'm tempted. I might have to start handwriting things again.

If I type, I work slowly and precisely. If I write, I am a storm of misspellings and creativity. I try to use both mediums as I need them. But I mostly type, as it calls for way less editing and I'm lazy.

I think that's what I get from handwriting moreso than typing -- the storm of creativity. I am physically more in the story/poem/prose-poem.

Swilly! You and your wiseass comments are back! Sorry about your Rangers.
I wish I'd had one more night at the campground so I could have missed last nights debacle too! The end is near. Grrrr.

Since I can remember writing, I've loved writing by hand, with a fountain pen if I have one with me. Even better if I start a new notebook - a truly sensuous experience (no sex involved, just the feeling , Pilot ;) ). I love writing in coffeehouses, in my bed on my lap, at a desk, wherever... I used to HAVE to start writing something in longhand - whatever it was - and then, when the edits got to be too much to look at and to follow, I would transcribe it to my computer, editing again in the process. I am less likely to start in longhand these days and more likely to go straight to my laptop. I have a single computer, my laptop, and I drag it everywhere, almost always, In fact I am writing this in a coffeehouse as we speak - but on an iPad sitting next to my laptop, on which I am working. Division of labor, division of love...

I agree! I have an obsession with pretty/funky/interesting journals. (who have I had this conversation with before? PL? pl? ) It's hard for me to pass one up with an interesting or tactile cover without buying it. I have a collection of unopened/unused journals, just waiting for something special. I should start using them to brain storm story ideas because ...

If I type, I work slowly and precisely. If I write, I am a storm of misspellings and creativity. I try to use both mediums as I need them. But I mostly type, as it calls for way less editing and I'm lazy.

This is true of me, too. When I write on paper it is a mess of creativity, I can't write in a straight line, words are all over the page with lines connecting to other ideas or words. It's not conducive to getting anything done quickly but it's good for brainstorming.

I wish I'd had one more night at the campground so I could have missed last nights debacle too! The end is near. Grrrr.

Oh? Is hockey still on? I hadn't noticed since the loss of my Black Hawks. :mad:

I agree! I have an obsession with pretty/funky/interesting journals. (who have I had this conversation with before? PL? pl? ) It's hard for me to pass one up with an interesting or tactile cover without buying it. I have a collection of unopened/unused journals, just waiting for something special. I should start using them to brain storm story ideas because ...

This is true of me, too. When I write on paper it is a mess of creativity, I can't write in a straight line, words are all over the page with lines connecting to other ideas or words. It's not conducive to getting anything done quickly but it's good for brainstorming.

Oh? Is hockey still on? I hadn't noticed since the loss of my Black Hawks. :mad:

Your Blackhawks lasted longer than my Bruins. And it must have been capital PL. I like graph composition tablets, the kind they sell at Walmart.

Last edited:
Oh? Is hockey still on? I hadn't noticed since the loss of my Black Hawks.

Doesn't seem as if the Rangers are playing it any longer. I ended up turning it off last night.

I love the physical act of writing. I have a pen set, a beautiful artist made Birdseye Maple pen, and matching mechanical pencil that I got almost 40 years ago when I graduated from high school. I use them all the tme, and don't quite know what I would do if I lost one.

I write primarily for myself, and to share with special people. I've been told that I should submit some of my stories to Lit, but at this stage of my life, Im just not up for some of the scathing criticism that lurks out there. I use my pencil (with #7 leads) to write stories in those black and white covered/ bound composition books. I have several storage bins filled with my writings that I have kept. Some are journal-like, some are filled with pages of little snippets of writing; thoughts that may someday evolve into a full story, and some of the composition books are (in my mind) treasure troves of erotic and other stories that I love.

All written longhand, with my 40 year old mechanical pencil, all labeled and tabbed with the contents, and date written.

I do a lot of my writing on our beach, on on my deck, or during our long, cold winters, cuddled up on the living room couch, under my afghan that my Gramma made for me.

I use my Birdseye Maple pen for social correspondence; for letters and notes that I send to people. I love to send handwritten letters and notes, and never buy pre-printed cards from the store, except in very rare cases...usually because the card is just so damned funny! While I know that email certainly has it's place, a handwritten letter is just so much more special, and worthy of keeping. I still have letters that I received when I was a child, right up to the last letter that I received, last week from my nephew.

I love the physical act of writing. I have a pen set, a beautiful artist made Birdseye Maple pen, and matching mechanical pencil that I got almost 40 years ago when I graduated from high school. I use them all the tme, and don't quite know what I would do if I lost one.

I write primarily for myself, and to share with special people. I've been told that I should submit some of my stories to Lit, but at this stage of my life, Im just not up for some of the scathing criticism that lurks out there. I use my pencil (with #7 leads) to write stories in those black and white covered/ bound composition books. I have several storage bins filled with my writings that I have kept. Some are journal-like, some are filled with pages of little snippets of writing; thoughts that may someday evolve into a full story, and some of the composition books are (in my mind) treasure troves of erotic and other stories that I love.

All written longhand, with my 40 year old mechanical pencil, all labeled and tabbed with the contents, and date written.

I do a lot of my writing on our beach, on on my deck, or during our long, cold winters, cuddled up on the living room couch, under my afghan that my Gramma made for me.

I use my Birdseye Maple pen for social correspondence; for letters and notes that I send to people. I love to send handwritten letters and notes, and never buy pre-printed cards from the store, except in very rare cases...usually because the card is just so damned funny! While I know that email certainly has it's place, a handwritten letter is just so much more special, and worthy of keeping. I still have letters that I received when I was a child, right up to the last letter that I received, last week from my nephew.
One can easily imagine a world a few decades from now where a person writing by hand will be viewed with amazement. What was that book set in the future where someone was persecuted for doing math by hand? (I see you snickering over there, pl). Many schools don't even bother teaching cursive any longer. I always wonder how kids will actually sign their names. Maybe we go back to an X?

All that being said, I'm as guilty as the next person of not putting pen to paper all that often.

I used to write everything in longhand, but I have long since transferred everything but my eighth grade term papers to my PC. The last thing I wrote by hand, other than meeting notes,etc. Was the germ of my story, "River Song". Sitting at a picnic table, outside the tent where my family slept, in the platinum gray light of a full moon, river rumbling and tumbling nearby, i dug in out games container for a pencil and the back of some Yahtze score sheets, and scribbled for hours. It took considerable time to decipher the whole mess and make it a story, but I love the results. There is value in letting it flow, at the time and place it happens.

I used to write everything in longhand, but I have long since transferred everything but my eighth grade term papers to my PC. The last thing I wrote by hand, other than meeting notes,etc. Was the germ of my story, "River Song". Sitting at a picnic table, outside the tent where my family slept, in the platinum gray light of a full moon, river rumbling and tumbling nearby, i dug in out games container for a pencil and the back of some Yahtze score sheets, and scribbled for hours. It took considerable time to decipher the whole mess and make it a story, but I love the results. There is value in letting it flow, at the time and place it happens.

River Song? <insert Doctor Who love here> :)

There is definitely value in letting it flow at the time and place that it happens. Otherwise, it can be hard getting back into it.

Back