The Construction Thread

It's kinda funny. I run a shop that produces plans & specs for contractors and the like. The Arch hates the con, the con hates the struct, everyone hates the civils.

But EVRYONE hates the city/counties.

It's kinda funny. I run a shop that produces plans & specs for contractors and the like. The Arch hates the con, the con hates the struct, everyone hates the civils.

That's because they change their damn codes about once every week.

Or so it seems.

Unlicensed and uninsured are illegal. Is it time to drop a dime?

No. We've never done that.
We've had the dime dropped on us for not wearing safety gear, to the tune of a few thousand dollars.

Once on a roofing project, some idiot flicked a lit cigarette butt into the dumpster filled with old waterlogged styrofoam insulation, covered by a sheet of fiberboard insulation, covered by about an inch of tar and gravel mix.

That was the tear off.

The entire dumpster caught fire, bad news.

Check out the "impact fees" article. link

And people wonder why their new house costs so damn much.

2 years ago, working on a new house, I saw first hand what happens when a circular saw "slips".

There was a guy who had to cut the length of a 2x4 on a 45 angle.

The saw slipped, and he buried the blade in his thigh. Talk about a bloody mess.

2 years ago, working on a new house, I saw first hand what happens when a circular saw "slips".

The saw slipped, and he buried the blade in his thigh. Talk about a bloody mess.

Jeez..bad saw technique.

NEVER use yer leg as a support.

lol

He was resting the twoby on his leg?

He was resting the twoby on his leg?

No, he had it clamped down to two saw horses. I did notice he saw hunched over it, with his legs in a wide stance though, but even then.

Honestly I think he had a dull blade, and it made the saw jump when he didn't hold it in a straight line while doing that.

No, he had it clamped down to two saw horses. I did notice he saw hunched over it, with his legs in a wide stance though, but even then.

Honestly I think he had a dull blade, and it made the saw jump when he didn't hold it in a straight line while doing that.

Ouch.

I hate electric saws, always have done. It's probably the one reason I can cut dead straight with a handsaw.

Once on a roofing project, some idiot flicked a lit cigarette butt into the dumpster filled with old waterlogged styrofoam insulation, covered by a sheet of fiberboard insulation, covered by about an inch of tar and gravel mix.

That was the tear off.

The entire dumpster caught fire, bad news.
In 2001, I was working on this building:
http://nymag.com/nymetro/shopping/homedesign/features/9997/

I was retrofitting a beam in place, over the the lobby, about 20 feet off the deck. The sparks and slag from the cutting torch lit something on fire on the floor. I think it was the oily shit that the concrete guys paint their forms with. ANyhow, one moment I was burning away like a champ, the next, the whole floor underneath me was on fire, with about 6 big fuel cans for the welding machine sitting there. I've never been so panicked before. I slid down a column and was trying to run away with about 50 gallons of gasoline, fire all over the place. Madness! Me and a bunch of Mexican kids hopping up and down on the concrete, carbon dioxide foam spraying everywhere.

Nail gun accidents. Always fun.

I saw one guy put an 8 penny nail in his eye.

He was hammering it in at an upward angle..the nail was above his head, somehow it glanced off and stuck right in.

In 2001, I was working on this building:
http://nymag.com/nymetro/shopping/homedesign/features/9997/

I was retrofitting a beam in place, over the the lobby, about 20 feet off the deck. The sparks and slag from the cutting torch lit something on fire on the floor. I think it was the oily shit that the concrete guys paint their forms with. ANyhow, one moment I was burning away like a champ, the next, the whole floor underneath me was on fire, with about 6 big fuel cans for the welding machine sitting there. I've never been so panicked before. I slid down a column and was trying to run away with about 50 gallons of gasoline, fire all over the place. Madness! Me and a bunch of Mexican kids hopping up and down on the concrete, carbon dioxide foam spraying everywhere.

Damn ironheads always up above dropping shit down.

lol

Dull saw blades, cracked grinding discs, and dull drill bits. Consumables are cheap in the big scheme of things. If you work for a big company or yourself, tools need to be in good working condition. Worn out gear has claimed so many hands, eyes, and lives.

I saw you post earlier about the roofers tripping on fall protection. If we need to buckle up and slow down to do it safely, so be it. Too many times the workers are pushed to get jobs done and take short cuts or are in too big of a hurry and end up getting fucked up.

Ouch.

I hate electric saws, always have done. It's probably the one reason I can cut dead straight with a handsaw.

They are handy though, I got several myself. However, the moment you lose respect for power tools, they will fuck you up bad.

Dull saw blades, cracked grinding discs, and dull drill bits. Consumables are cheap in the big scheme of things. If you work for a big company or yourself, tools need to be in good working condition. Worn out gear has claimed so many hands, eyes, and lives.

I saw you post earlier about the roofers tripping on fall protection. If we need to buckle up and slow down to do it safely, so be it. Too many times the workers are pushed to get jobs done and take short cuts or are in too big of a hurry and end up getting fucked up.

Oh I agree. I buy new blades and bits on a monthly basis. Weekly if I hit a really busy period.

The injuries I ahve sustained through work, has all been because I was a dumb-ass.

They are handy though, I got several myself. However, the moment you lose respect for power tools, they will fuck you up bad.

I agree on the handyness. Cutting MDF by hand is a fucking nightmare.

Unlicensed and uninsured are illegal. Is it time to drop a dime?

I've got pix of scabbers christmas-treeing (illegal rigging practice) right down the street from my house. I'll post them as soon as I get this cam working. Dimes were dropped.

For some reason, that's the one tool that really gives me the creeps. I've seen accidents with just about every kind of power or air tool and the circular saw is the one that I get all nervous around.

For some reason, that's the one tool that really gives me the creeps. I've seen accidents with just about every kind of power or air tool and the circular saw is the one that I get all nervous around.

Well it's a small power tool, but it sure can do some serious damage if there is an accident with it.

I ahve the highest respect for mine, and is always very careful with it. That blade can take off just about any body part in no time.

Sad

My FIL was a high steel welder and fell to his death from the bottom bowl of a water tower in Abilene, Texas in 1961. My husband was 8 and was in gym class at school. He was standing on 2nd base when he saw 2 things fall from the tower. One of them was a huge metal strap, the other was his dad. He said he knew it was his dad before anyone even told him.

This was his dad's 3rd fall.

Back