H.L. Mencken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mencken Day
Saturday, 12 September 2009

Enoch Pratt Free Library
Baltimore, Maryland

Honoring the memory, career and bequest of Henry Louis Mencken
The Mencken Room is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

New Exhibits: "Treasures of the Saturday Night Club Music Collection," a display of original compositions by four members of the fabled Saturday Night Club -- Gustav Strube, Theodor Hemberger, Emma Hemberger, and Adolph Torovsky. On display in the Annex, through September 12; and "Mencken and Prohibition," and "Mencken and F. Scott Fitzgerald," Third Floor.

Mencken Society annual meeting, 10:15 a.m., Wheeler Auditorium - "Reviewing the Parade: Mencken and Magazines in the George Thompson Collection," presented by Gabrielle Dean, The Sheridan Libraries, Johns Hopkins University; and "Mencken and Tough Times - Cold Comfort from the Sage of Baltimore," a one-man show presented by Chuck Chalberg, Normandale Community College, Bloomington, Minnesota.

The 2009 Mencken Memorial Lecture, 2:30 p.m., Wheeler Auditorium - "Bryan Debates Mencken: The Confrontation We Missed," by Dr. Michael Kazin, professor of history at Georgetown University and author of A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan.

Dr. Kazin is an expert in U.S. politics and social movements of the 19th and 20th centuries. He has taught at American University, Utrecht University in the Netherlands, and Stanford University. His academic honors include a Guggenheim Fellowship, fellowships from Georgetown University, the Woodrow Wilson Center, the Fulbright Program, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.



A reception and book signing will be held in the Poe Room following Dr. Kazin's lecture.

Central Library Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 (10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
 


To sum up: 1. The cosmos is a gigantic fly-wheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute. 2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it. 3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him the ride.

-H. L. Mencken, Coda, in Smart Set (New York, December 1920; reprinted in A Mencken Chrestomathy, New York, 1949).


 

S. T. Joshi is a Mencken scholar. The following is a brief excerpt from his introduction to Mencken's America ( Athens: Ohio University Press, 2004) and can be found at: http://www.stjoshi.net/ , specifically at: http://www.stjoshi.net/intro_mencken.html



Mencken knew that the cornerstone of liberty was freedom of thought: "As for me, my literary theory, like my politics, is based chiefly upon one main idea, to wit, the idea of freedom. I am, in brief, a libertarian of the most extreme variety, and know of no human right that is one-tenth as valuable as the simple right to utter what seems (at the moment) to be the truth. Take away his right, and none other is worth a hoot; nor, indeed, can any other long exist."

Mencken himself exercised that "simple right" on every possible occasion, and never more vigorously and iconoclastically than in the realm of politics. It was not merely that he tirelessly exhibited the blatant and undisguised hypocrisy and duplicity of self-serving politicians, who he considered merely jobholders intent on keeping their positions from one election to the next with the least amount of effort; it was that he boldly challenged the most cherished shibboleths of American political thought. Specifically, he presented--briefly in some of the essays in this book and more exhaustively in the treatise Notes on Democracy (1926)--a systematic critique of the very principle of American democracy. Democracy, in his judgment, was flawed in its very conception; as he wrote in "What Ails the Republic" (1922), it "always resolves itself, in the end, into a scheme for enabling weak and inferior men to force their notions and desires, by mass action, upon strong and superior men. Its essence is this substitution of mere numbers for every other sort of superiority--this fundamental assumption that a group of idiots, if only its numbers be large enough, is wiser and more virtuous than any conceivable individual who is not an idiot." Mencken would have agreed emphatically with his erstwhile correspondent Ambrose Bierce, who only a few years earlier had written a "future history" in which the downfall of the American republic was memorably etched: "An inherent weakness in republic government was that it assumed the honesty and intelligence of the majority, 'the masses,' who were neither honest nor intelligent." And Mencken would have agreed with both facets of Bierce's condemnation: it was not merely that the American people were uneducated (and therefore unable to grasp the complexity of the political, economic, and social issues that they were called upon to adjudicate); it was that they were also fundamentally dishonest. The "liberty" they touted was in reality liberty for themselves and restraint for everyone else; the moral "evils" they condemned were those that they had neither the desire nor the capacity to commit themselves, or knew that they could commit without detection.

The whole issue of the viability of democracy as a political principle is well beyond the scope of this introduction, but some further thoughts on Mencken's attitudes may be in order. The basis of his critique of democracy was the very low opinion he held of both the abstract intelligence and the educability of the "plain people":


. . . I doubt that the art of thinking can be taught at all--at any rate, by school-teachers. It is not acquired, but congenital. Some persons are born with it. Their ideas flow in straight channels; they are capable of lucid reasoning; when they say anything it is instantly understandable, when they write anything it is clear and persuasive. They constitute, I should say, about one-eighth of one per cent. of the human race. The rest of God's children are just as incapable of logical thought as they are incapable of jumping over the moon. Trying to teach them to think is as vain an enterprise as trying to teach a streptococcus the principles of Americanism.​
 


How, in spite of the incurable imbecility of the great masses of men, are we to get a reasonable measure of common sense and decency into the conduct of the world? The Liberal answer (much more clearly stated by H.G. Wells in "The Outline of History” than by Mr. Walter Lippmann in … "Public Opinion” is, in essence, simply a variant of the old democratic answer: by spreading enlightenment, by democratizing information, by combatting what is adjudged to be false by what is adjudged to be true. But this scheme, however persuasively it may be set forth, invariably goes to wreck upon two or three immovable facts. One is the fact that a safe majority of the men and women in every modern society are congenitally uneducable, save within very narrow limits—that it is no more possible to teach them what every voter theoretically should know than it is to teach a chimpanzee to play the viol da gamba. Another is the fact that the same safe majority, far from having any natural yearning to acquire this undescribed body of truth, has a natural and apparently incurable distrust of it … A third (and it is more important than either of the other two) is that there exists no body of teachers in Christendom capable of teaching the truth, even supposing it to be known … The inevitable tendency of pedagogy … is to preserve and propagate the lies that happen to be currently respectable, which is to say, that happen to be salubrious to the current masters of the mob.

-H.L. Mencken
“Demagoguery as Art and Science”
The Smart Set
April, 1922, pp. 138-139.


 
Last edited:

All government, in its essence, is a conspiracy against the superior man: its one permanent object is to oppress him and cripple him. If it be aristocratic in organization, then it seeks to protect the man who is superior only in law against the man who is superior in fact; if it be democratic, then it seeks to protect the man who is inferior in every way against both. One of its primary functions is to regiment men by force, to make them as much alike as possible and as dependent upon one another as possible, to search out and combat originality among them. All it can see in an original idea is potential change, and hence an invasion of its prerogatives. The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are.

-H. L. Mencken
The Smart Set
December, 1919
 

The American people, true enough, are sheep. Worse, they are donkeys. Yet worse, to borrow from their own dialect, they are goats. They are thus constantly bamboozled and exploited by small minorities of their own number, by determined and ambitious individuals, and even by exterior groups. The business of victimizing them is a lucrative profession, an exact science, and a delicate and lofty art. It has its masters and its quacks. Its lowest reward is a seat in Congress or a job as a Prohibition agent, i.e., a licensed blackleg; its highest reward is immortality. The adept practitioner is not only rewarded; he is also thanked. The victims delight in his ministrations, as an hypochondriacal woman delights in the flayings of the surgeon. But all the while they have the means in their hands to halt the obscenity whenever it becomes intolerable, and now and then, raised transiently to a sort of intelligence, they do put a stop to it. There are no legal or other bars to the free functioning of their will, once it emerges into consciousness, save only such bars as they themselves have erected, and these they may remove whenever they so desire. …

… They know what they want when they actually want it, and if they want it badly enough they get it. What they want principally are safety and security. They want to be delivered from the bugaboos that ride them. They want to be soothed with mellifluous words. They want heroes to worship. They want the rough entertainment suitable to their simple minds. All of these things they want so badly that they are willing to sacrifice everything else in order to get them. The science of politics under democracy consists in trading with them, i.e., in hoodwinking and swindling them. In return for what they want, or for the mere appearance of what they want, they yield up what the politician wants, and what the enterprising minorities behind him want. The bargaining is conducted to the tune of affecting rhetoric, with music by the choir, but it is as simple and sordid at bottom as the sale of a mule. It lies quite outside the bounds of honour, and even of common decency. It is a combat between jackals and jackasses. It is the master transaction of democratic states.

-H. L. Mencken
Notes On Democracy
New York, 1926.

 
Some of my H. L. Mencken favorites...

The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.

The fact that I have no remedy for all the sorrows of the world is no reason for my accepting yours. It simply supports the strong probability that yours is a fake.

Evangelical Christianity, as everyone knows, is founded upon hate, as the Christianity of Christ was founded upon love.


There is no possibility whatsoever of reconciling science and theology, at least in Christendom. Either Jesus rose from the dead or he didn't. If he did, then Christianity becomes plausible; if he did not, then it is sheer nonsense. I defy any genuine scientist to say that he believes in the Resurrection, or indeed in any other cardinal dogma of the Christian system.


And finally, my personal favorite...

If you heave an egg out of a Pullman car window anywhere in the United States you are likely to hit a fundamentalist.
 

Astronomers and physicists, dealing habitually with objects and qualities far beyond the reach of the senses, even with the aid of the most powerful aids that ingenuity has been able to devise, tend almost inevitably to fall into the ways of thinking of men dealing with objects and quantities that do not exist at all, e.g. theologians and metaphysicians. Thus their speculations tend almost inevitably to depart from the field of true science, which is that of precise observation, and to become mere soaring empyrean. The process works backward, too. That is to say, their reports of what they pretend actually to see are often very unreliable. It is thus no wonder that, of all men of science, they are the most given to flirting with theology. Nor is it remarkable that, in the popular belief, most astronomers end by losing their minds.

-H. L. Mencken
Minority Report: H. L. Mencken's Notebooks
New York, N.Y. 1956.

 

A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier.

-H. L. Mencken
A Mencken Chrestomathy
New York, N.Y. 1949.
 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.

-H. L. Mencken
The Philosophy of Friederich Nietzsche
New York, N.Y. 1913.


 
yeah, yeah.
You need to take your activity to another rumpus room, that's all.

You have a lot of nerve insinuating witchburning, Mister Counts-His-Money Man. I AM someone who would have beenburned, while YOU are just another of the millions of bourgeois limpdicks with a wallet where his brain should be.


Your moral code is in plenty effect all over the fucking world. This forum was once a respite from beancounters and middlemen. If you don't want to talk to the regulars, what are you doing here? Seriously, think about it.
 
Last edited:


Progress: The process whereby the human race has got rid of whiskers, the vermiform appendix and God.


-H.L. Mencken
A Book Of Burlesques
New York, N.Y. 1916.


 
yeah, yeah.
You need to take your activity to another rumpus room, that's all.

You have a lot of nerve insinuating witchburning, Mister Counts-His-Money Man. I AM someone who would have beenburned, while YOU are just another of the millions of bourgeois limpdicks with a wallet where his brain should be.

.

Ever noticed that the freelance Witch-burner is getting rarer as a trade ?
 
yeah, yeah.
You need to take your activity to another rumpus room, that's all.

You have a lot of nerve insinuating witchburning, Mister Counts-His-Money Man. I AM someone who would have beenburned, while YOU are just another of the millions of bourgeois limpdicks with a wallet where his brain should be.

Your moral code is in plenty effect all over the fucking world. This forum was once a respite from beancounters and middlemen. If you don't want to talk to the regulars, what are you doing here? Seriously, think about it.
Okay, first: you told me you'd put me on ignore. In that case, you shouldn't be seeing this thread.

Second, you've claimed to be an author. Any author, in my opinion, who doesn't recognize the greatness of H.L. Mencken is destined for history's scrap-heap. And that has nothing to do with what you think of his politics. (Obviously, just an opinion. Not meant to upset you.)

Third, if you're an author, shouldn't you be off writing something, and leaving the reading of great things to those of us who enjoy it?
 


Finally! It's been a long time coming ( there were copyright issues that had to be resolved ) but The Library of America has, at last, published a portion of Mencken's oeuvre. I'll put in a plug for The Library of America— these are gorgeous editions with sewn bindings printed on acid-free paper, available with slipcovers. They are a nice size, intended to be held comfortably in one hand.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=331

... H. L. Mencken was unquestionably the most provocative and influential journalist and cultural critic in twentieth-century America. The six volumes of Prejudices, published between 1919 and 1927, were both a slashing attack on what Mencken saw as American provincialism and hypocrisy and a resounding defense of the writers and thinkers he thought of as harbingers of a new frankness and maturity. Laced with savage humor and delighting in verbal play, Mencken’s prose remains a one-of-a-kind roller-coaster ride through a staggering range of themes: literature and journalism, politics and religion, sex and marriage, food and drink.

In this and a companion volume, The Library of America presents all six series of Prejudices in their original form. The first three series include some of his most famous writing, including “The Sahara of the Bozart,” an attack on Southern culture so unbridled as to earn him widespread criticism from politicians and the press; “The National Letters,” a lively and free-spoken survey of writing in America; “The Dry Millennium,” an analysis of the multiple absurdities of Prohibition; “Exeunt Omnes,” an unblinking and deromanticized contemplation of death; and “On Being an American,” a humorous celebration of the political and cultural panorama that he saw as “incomparably the greatest show on earth.” Here are his harsh summing-up of Theodore Roosevelt’s career (“he didn’t believe in democracy; he believed simply in government”) and his sympathetic portraits of literary friends like James Huneker and George Jean Nathan. Mencken’s account of the original reception of Prejudices, from his memoir My Life as Editor and Author, is included as an appendix.

Edmund Wilson wrote: “Mencken’s mind . . . has all the courage in the world in a country where courage is rare.” That courage may sometimes have been coupled with an inflexible stubbornness that led him into positions hard to defend. But to succeeding generations of writers and readers, Mencken was the figure who had risked charges of heresy and sedition and almost single-handedly brought America into a new cultural era. To read him is to be plunged into an era whose culture wars were easily as ferocious as those of our own day, in the company of a critic of vast curiosity and vivacious frankness.

Marion Elizabeth Rodgers, volume editor, is the author of Mencken: The American Iconoclast and editor of Mencken and Sara: A Life in Letters and The Impossible H. L. Mencken.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=331


“Mencken has done more for the national letters than any man alive.”
—F. Scott Fitzgerald



Transcript of Marion Elizabeth Rogers interview:
http://www.loa.org/images/pdf/LOA_Rodgers_on_Mencken.pdf


The final three series show Mencken at his lacerating best, taking on targets from religious fundamentalism to the dismal state of higher education. Included are such famous essays as “The Hills of Zion,” his report on the local atmosphere surrounding the Scopes trial in 1925; “In Memoriam: W.J.B.,” his relentless postmortem on William Jennings Bryan; “The Fringes of Lovely Letters,” a hilarious delineation of the lower and outer reaches of the literary world; “Comstockery,” a devastating account of the anti-obscenity crusader Anthony Comstock (“A good woman, to him, was simply one who was efficiently policed”); and “On Living in Baltimore,” a celebration of his beloved native city.

Mencken was a man of strong enthusiasms and even stronger antipathies, expressed in a prose style that marshaled all the resources of the American language in a rich blend of comic invention and sarcastic fury. To read Prejudices is to embark on an exploration of many curious byways of American culture in a moment of tumultuous and often combative transition. Mencken never shied from combat, and the courage with which he confronted the entrenched truisms and hypocrisies of his time made him a uniquely liberating force in American letters.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=332

1598530755.jpg


 
Last edited:
Okay, first: you told me you'd put me on ignore. In that case, you shouldn't be seeing this thread.

Second, you've claimed to be an author. Any author, in my opinion, who doesn't recognize the greatness of H.L. Mencken is destined for history's scrap-heap. And that has nothing to do with what you think of his politics. (Obviously, just an opinion. Not meant to upset you.)

Third, if you're an author, shouldn't you be off writing something, and leaving the reading of great things to those of us who enjoy it?
Seems I'd forgotten about you when I switched from invisions' halfassed management features to the far better ones in the plugin.

Be honest; you aren't quoting his writing in this thread, only his political quips. And only the ones that anyone could get via google.

Go here;
http://blogspot.com
Or here;
http:/blogster.com/
Or;
http://wordpress.com
Or here;
http://open.salon.com
Or;
http://livejournal.com
Or;
http://xanga.com
And copy and paste back and forth to each other to your hearts content. You'll soon acquire lots of like-minded people -- or not. That's the blogosphere for you.
 
yeah, yeah.
You need to take your activity to another rumpus room, that's all.

You have a lot of nerve insinuating witchburning, Mister Counts-His-Money Man. I AM someone who would have beenburned, while YOU are just another of the millions of bourgeois limpdicks with a wallet where his brain should be.


Your moral code is in plenty effect all over the fucking world. This forum was once a respite from beancounters and middlemen. If you don't want to talk to the regulars, what are you doing here? Seriously, think about it.

Go fuck yourself, Stella.


I've had it with your hypocrisy, your double standards and your pathetic attempts to bully people. You don't own this place and you have no right, whatsoever, to tell anyone what they can and cannot do and say. It is you who is terminally intolerant. Your repeated temper tantrums and perpetual attempts to impose censorship evince an emotional stability akin to a two year old and are symptomatic of a total lack of self-control.


It is YOU who came into this thread spoiling for a fight and, by god, you made one where it didn't otherwise exist. What the fuck did you expect to find in a thread where the topic was very plainly identified by the title? Did the thread title suggest to you that you were going to find a discussion of hermaphrodite sex on tap?


Your behavior is identical to everything you whine and caterwaul about all over the place. It's you who has exhibited troll-like rudeness and incivility. Your inability to recognize that fact has a name; it's called projection.




____________________________

Would you please, please have the grace to place me on your ignore list? While many of your posts are amusing for their demonstrably profound ignorance of the world of practical affairs, my patience with your rudeness and intolerance has reached an end.



 
Do you realise those are the very first words that you have posted in god knows how long that were not copy and paste? :D
 
Last edited:


Finally! It's been a long time coming ( there were copyright issues that had to be resolved ) but The Library of America has, at last, published a portion of Mencken's oeuvre. I'll put in a plug for The Library of America— these are gorgeous editions with sewn bindings printed on acid-free paper, available with slipcovers. They are a nice size, intended to be held comfortably in one hand.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=331

... H. L. Mencken was unquestionably the most provocative and influential journalist and cultural critic in twentieth-century America. The six volumes of Prejudices, published between 1919 and 1927, were both a slashing attack on what Mencken saw as American provincialism and hypocrisy and a resounding defense of the writers and thinkers he thought of as harbingers of a new frankness and maturity. Laced with savage humor and delighting in verbal play, Mencken’s prose remains a one-of-a-kind roller-coaster ride through a staggering range of themes: literature and journalism, politics and religion, sex and marriage, food and drink.

In this and a companion volume, The Library of America presents all six series of Prejudices in their original form. The first three series include some of his most famous writing, including “The Sahara of the Bozart,” an attack on Southern culture so unbridled as to earn him widespread criticism from politicians and the press; “The National Letters,” a lively and free-spoken survey of writing in America; “The Dry Millennium,” an analysis of the multiple absurdities of Prohibition; “Exeunt Omnes,” an unblinking and deromanticized contemplation of death; and “On Being an American,” a humorous celebration of the political and cultural panorama that he saw as “incomparably the greatest show on earth.” Here are his harsh summing-up of Theodore Roosevelt’s career (“he didn’t believe in democracy; he believed simply in government”) and his sympathetic portraits of literary friends like James Huneker and George Jean Nathan. Mencken’s account of the original reception of Prejudices, from his memoir My Life as Editor and Author, is included as an appendix.

Edmund Wilson wrote: “Mencken’s mind . . . has all the courage in the world in a country where courage is rare.” That courage may sometimes have been coupled with an inflexible stubbornness that led him into positions hard to defend. But to succeeding generations of writers and readers, Mencken was the figure who had risked charges of heresy and sedition and almost single-handedly brought America into a new cultural era. To read him is to be plunged into an era whose culture wars were easily as ferocious as those of our own day, in the company of a critic of vast curiosity and vivacious frankness.

Marion Elizabeth Rodgers, volume editor, is the author of Mencken: The American Iconoclast and editor of Mencken and Sara: A Life in Letters and The Impossible H. L. Mencken.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=331


“Mencken has done more for the national letters than any man alive.”
—F. Scott Fitzgerald



Transcript of Marion Elizabeth Rogers interview:
http://www.loa.org/images/pdf/LOA_Rodgers_on_Mencken.pdf


The final three series show Mencken at his lacerating best, taking on targets from religious fundamentalism to the dismal state of higher education. Included are such famous essays as “The Hills of Zion,” his report on the local atmosphere surrounding the Scopes trial in 1925; “In Memoriam: W.J.B.,” his relentless postmortem on William Jennings Bryan; “The Fringes of Lovely Letters,” a hilarious delineation of the lower and outer reaches of the literary world; “Comstockery,” a devastating account of the anti-obscenity crusader Anthony Comstock (“A good woman, to him, was simply one who was efficiently policed”); and “On Living in Baltimore,” a celebration of his beloved native city.

Mencken was a man of strong enthusiasms and even stronger antipathies, expressed in a prose style that marshaled all the resources of the American language in a rich blend of comic invention and sarcastic fury. To read Prejudices is to embark on an exploration of many curious byways of American culture in a moment of tumultuous and often combative transition. Mencken never shied from combat, and the courage with which he confronted the entrenched truisms and hypocrisies of his time made him a uniquely liberating force in American letters.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=332

1598530755.jpg


 
Seems I'd forgotten about you when I switched from invisions' halfassed management features to the far better ones in the plugin.
A reasonable excuse.

Be honest; you aren't quoting his writing in this thread, only his political quips. And only the ones that anyone could get via google.
You have to be fucking kidding me, now.

I have typed essays from "A Mencken Chrestomathy," excepts from "Notes on Democracy," and entries from his diary out of books, and posted them.

Clearly, you haven't read any of it.

No matter. H.L. Mencken was a brilliant author. He will be remembered forever. You aren't, and will be forgotten. His writings make me laugh, yours, I must say, depress me. The reason is this: while Mencken lampoons humanity, it is a hilarious exaggeration, with a serious element of truth. You make his exaggeration appear to be a reality. And that is disturbing.
 


Der Tag​
Mencken Day
September 11, 2010


Mencken Day 2010 will commence at 10:00 AM on September 11, 2010 at the Enoch Pratt Free Library, 400 Cathedral St, Baltimore, MD. The Mencken Society’s Annual Meeting begins at 10:30 in the Wheeler Auditorium.

The Society’s speakers (in the morning) are Marion Rodgers, who will speak on her recent (hot off the presses) two-volume set of Mencken’s Prejudices, published by the Library of America, and David Donovan of the Enoch Pratt Free Library who has done heroic work in exhuming the entombed collection of Saturday Night Club material held by the Library. He will play selections from a recording of the Concert Artists of Baltimore’s concert, “A Saturday Night Club on Sunday Afternoon”, held April 11, 2010. If you missed the concert, here is your chance to at least get a taste of what was.

The Mencken Memorial speaker (in the afternoon) is Jonathan Yardley, book reviewer for the Washington Post and editor of Mencken’s My Life as Author and Editor (Knopf, 1993).



http://www.mencken.org/


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top