Good Reads

Laurel

Kitty Mama
bretjune500x310.jpg

His brain and body shattered in a horrible accident as a young boy, Bret Dunlap thought just being able to hold down a job, keep an apartment, and survive on his own added up to a good enough life. Then he discovered running.​
- read the full article Bret, Unbroken (via Runner's World)

110404_r20706_p233.jpg

Rodrigo Rosenberg knew that he was about to die. It wasn’t because he was approaching old age—he was only forty-eight. Nor had he been diagnosed with a fatal illness; an avid bike rider, he was in perfect health. Rather, Rosenberg, a highly respected corporate attorney in Guatemala, was certain that he was going to be assassinated.​
- read the full article A Murder Foretold (from The New Yorker)

You know a music scene's really blowing up when Hollywood decides to make a movie about it. From Saturday Night Fever to Roll Bounce to that weird film David LaChapelle made about crunk, Tinseltown has always looked to capitalise on new youth cultures. Especially if it lets them wheel out those age-old youth tropes of dance-offs in empty car parks, big trousers, parents who are either religious, abusive or dead, people saying "word" a lot and bullies getting drunk and crying. It might seem a bit weird to you, but Hollywood scriptwriters go nuts for that stuff because they haven't been to a real club since dancefloors still had carpets.​
- read the full article Somebody Made an EDM Movie and It Looks Terrible (from Vice Magazine)

enhanced-buzz-wide-23655-1367606625-29.jpg

The sex toy business has never been more profitable or female-driven, thanks in no small part to Fifty Shades of Grey. But while most of the industry’s manufacturing takes place in China, Doc Johnson is doing its patriotic duty, one giant rubber penis at a time.​
- read the full article Deep Inside The Biggest Little Dildo Factory In America (from Buzzfeed)

You're killing me, Laurel!

Now I have to track three threads for your good reads.

Last one for now. I'll move over more later...

kidnapped-01.jpg

Why on earth would someone pay hundreds of dollars to fly halfway across the country for the pleasure of being abducted by thugs, handcuffed in a basement for hours, and forced to pee into a Gatorade bottle? GQ made Drew Magary go find out. (Sorry, Drew)​
- read the full article Kidnapped (Just Kidding!) (from GQ)

You're killing me, Laurel!

Now I have to track three threads for your good reads.

:D I'm gonna put 'em here from now on because I was told they needed their own place separate from Blurt. This'll be the one-stop place for Reads.

BTW, if anyone wants to post some and wants to use the same format, just hit QUOTE and copy the template below:

xxxEXCERPTxxx​
- read the full article xxxTITLExxx (from xxxSOURCExxx)

and fill it in with your article's info. Please don't copy entire articles. :rose:

:D I'm gonna put 'em here from now on because I was told they needed their own place separate from Blurt. This'll be the one-stop place for Reads.

But I said that like three weeks ago

Relocating from Blurt

His brain and body shattered in a horrible accident as a young boy, Bret Dunlap thought just being able to hold down a job, keep an apartment, and survive on his own added up to a good enough life. Then he discovered running.​
- read the full article Bret, Unbroken (via Runner's World)

I cannot believe the coincidence. This afternoon, whilst at the physician's office, I picked up that magazine and read that article.

Un-frickin-believable !

*subscribe*
Glad you're welcoming submissions.
I'll be adding a few when I get to a real computer.
Your Rolling Stone epic Korean gangastah princess post from a few weeks ago made the circle of all my friends, thanks to you. The narrative of that story was surprisingly compelling considering the story was about a little shithead liar with an extreme case of entitlement and very little common sense.

BTW, if anyone wants to post some and wants to use the same format, just hit QUOTE and copy the template below:

xxxEXCERPTxxx​
- read the full article xxxTITLExxx (from xxxSOURCExxx)

and fill it in with your article's info. Please don't copy entire articles. :rose:

Kudos to you for doing this! I love the Good Reads site, but I find browsing page by page to find just the right articles a bit tedious. It will be nice having another person's recommendations to check out.

I didn't even know these were on the "Blurt" thread. :eek:

*subscribe*
Glad you're welcoming submissions.
I'll be adding a few when I get to a real computer.
Your Rolling Stone epic Korean gangastah princess post from a few weeks ago made the circle of all my friends, thanks to you. The narrative of that story was surprisingly compelling considering the story was about a little shithead liar with an extreme case of entitlement and very little common sense.

Ah, yeah! This one:

Heiress, actress, singer, model - Lisette Lee wanted everyone to think she had it all, but beneath the bling were secrets, lies and private jets filled with weed​
- read the full article The Gangster Princess of Beverly Hills (from Rolling Stone)

I agree 100%. :D

The nineteen-forties Bing Crosby hit “White Christmas” is a key part of the national emotional regression that occurs every Christmas. Between Christmases, Crosby is most often remembered as a sometimes-brutal father, thanks to a memoir by his son Gary. Less remarked upon is Crosby’s role as a popularizer of jazz, first with Paul Whiteman’s orchestra, and later as a collaborator with, disciple to, and champion of Louis Armstrong. Hardly remarked upon at all is that Crosby, by accident, is a grandfather to the computer hard drive and an angel investor in one of the firms that created Silicon Valley.​
- read the full article How Bing Crosby and the Nazis Helped to Create Silicon Valley (from The New Yorker)

It reads like a real-life Scandinavian crime novel. In the 1990s, Thomas Quick confessed to more than 30 murders, making him Sweden's most notorious serial killer. Then, he changed his name and revealed his confessions were all faked.​
- read the full article Thomas Quick: the Swedish serial killer who never was (from The Guardian)

It was just a favor to dear old dad. But the next thing Nathan Nicholson knew, he was jet-setting around the world under cover and selling state secrets to the Russians. You know what they say: Like father, like spy.​
- read the full article My Father and Me: A Spy Story (from GQ)

They did it for the simplest of reasons: adventure. Three friends, on a drunken dare, set out in a dinghy for a nearby island. But when the gas ran out and they drifted into barren waters, their biggest threat wasn't the water or the ocean—it was each other.​
- read the full article Here Be Monsters (from GQ)

Thirty-five runners face hollers and hells, a flooded prison, rats the size of possums, and flesh-flaying briars to test the limits of self-sufficiency...Only eight men have ever finished. The event is considered extreme even by those who specialize in extremity.

All eyes are on the man in the trench coat. At precisely 7:12, he rises from his lawn chair and lights his cigarette. Once the tip glows red, the race known as the Barkley Marathons has begun.​
- read the full article The Immortal Horizon (from Believer Magazine)

karpagafia1.jpg

In 1978, Soviet geologists prospecting in the wilds of Siberia discovered a family of six, lost in the taiga.

The sight that greeted the geologists as they entered the cabin was like something from the middle ages. Jerry-built from whatever materials came to hand, the dwelling was not much more than a burrow—"a low, soot-blackened log kennel that was as cold as a cellar," with a floor consisting of potato peel and pine-nut shells. Looking around in the dim light, the visitors saw that it consisted of a single room. It was cramped, musty and indescribably filthy, propped up by sagging joists—and, astonishingly, home to a family of five.​

Aurochs_NEW_final.jpg

In 1920, the brothers Lutz and Heinz Heck, directors of the Berlin and Munich zoos, respectively, began a two-decade breeding experiment. Working with domestic cattle sought out for their “primitive” characteristics, they attempted to recreate “in appearance and behavior” the living likeness of the animals’ extinct wild ancestor: the aurochs.​
- read the full article Heavy Breeding (from Cabinet Magazine)

space130527_1_560.jpg

This is not a rendering. It is a launching pad in the New Mexico desert for rocket planes that will send you into space for $200,000. It opens later this year.​
- read the full article Welcome to the Real Space Age (from New York Magazine)

luckiest-village-1.jpg

It was a tiny town of farmers, a village where everyone knew everyone and nearly all struggled to make ends meet. But then, a few days before Christmas, they won the largest lottery in the history of Spain. The entire town. All of them. (Well, almost all of them.) Instantly, Sodeto became known as the luckiest place on earth. Michael Paterniti visits the town that fortune smiled upon and finds that the people there—now flush—are still uncertain of just how lucky they really are.​
- read the full article The Luckiest Village in the World (from GQ)

Back