1%'ers pay 24% of Federal Taxes

Amberchgo

Literotica Guru
The Congressional Budget Office released its annual study of the distribution of income and federal taxes. It tells us what we’ve long known: The rich pay a lot of federal taxes, much more than the middle class and the poor.

President Obama for many years pushed his infamous Buffett Rule, which said that the highest-earning Americans should pay at least 30 percent of their income in federal taxes. According to CBO, the average tax rate of the top 1 percent was 29 percent in 2011 (the last year of data in the report). The Buffett Rule, therefore, was largely in effect.

However, CBO also projected forward to 2013. Based on tax increases that began in 2013, CBO predicts the top 1 percent paid a 33 percent effective rate in federal taxes last year. Obama’s policies have more than established the Buffett Rule.

Part of that rule, according to the president, was to make sure the rich pay a higher effective rate than the middle class. The CBO report shows the middle class paid an effective rate of 11.2 percent in 2011. The rich paid almost three times the effective rate comparably. Warren Buffett never paid even close to a lower rate than his secretary.

CBO also shows that higher income earners paid larger shares of tax. The top 1 percent, for instance, earned almost 15 percent of income and paid 24 percent of federal taxes. The top 20 percent earned 51.9 percent of income and paid 69 percent of taxes.

All other income groups paid a smaller share of tax than they earned in income. The middle class earned 14 percent of income and paid 9 percent of taxes. The bottom 20 percent earned 5.3 percent and paid less than 1 percent of taxes.

One of President Obama’s goals was to increase the tax burden on the rich. He succeeded in raising their already substantial burden. Those hikes are one reason the economy continues to stagnate well below its potential because they have stifled investment by reducing incentives to take risk.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/13/richest-1-percent-americans-pay-24-percent-federal-taxes/

Let the spin begin ...

I just want to post here so I can come back when I'm less stupid and explain this to you. I can do that if I can click 'find more posts by Candicame" in my thingy.

I wonder if stupid Amber was given a choice of paying 24% taxes and driving a Ferrarri vs. paying no taxes and eating Ramen noodles for dinner three times a week, which whould she choose? Stupid Amber.

Gee, the super rich pay way more taxes. Thank the Lord we have Amber to edumucate us.

Gee, the super rich pay way more taxes. Thank the Lord we have Amber to edumucate us.

What Ken is trying to say, is that the super rich should pay LESS in taxes, shifting the burden to the rest of us.

It's funny that Ken thinks that, being a failed lawyer, who is so far out of the 1% that they wouldn't pee on him if he was on fire.

Let the spin begin ...

I favor the progressive income tax, so there's nothing to spin.

You all need to settle on a consistent line of attack -- a few weeks ago, the charge was that income inequality has continued to rise during the Obama years. Now he's back to soaking the rich?

When right-wingers/rich people and their sychophants bring up that they pay more than the other classes in income tax, they always forget to mention how the amount of the country's wealth that has been distributed to them compares to the amount of taxes they pay.

During the "recovery" alone, for example, 90 cents out of every dollar the economy generated went straight into their pockets and stayed there.

In general, though, they--meaning a few hundred people, compared to hundreds of millions--merely control somewhere around 40% of the country's wealth, depending on when you look--which makes paying 24% of the income tax really fucking paltry, actually.

We understand you'd like to have some free wealth.

The rich are the people who get the free wealth, either through the government rigging the rules of the economy to create it for them or through stealing it from the lower classes--or, in the case of the post-2007 economy, both in insanely large proportions.

I'm fairly sure the Buffet Rule or at least Warren Buffet's point originally was about tax on capital gains (how Buffet makes monies) being lower than tax on wage (how his secretary makes monies).

When did that morph into just being about high vs low income and tweaking the progressive tax brackets?

I'm fairly sure the Buffet Rule or at least Warren Buffet's point originally was about tax on capital gains (how Buffet makes monies) being lower than tax on wage (how his secretary makes monies).

When did that morph into just being about high vs low income and tweaking the progressive tax brackets?

You do know that Buffet does not even pay the taxes he owes?

This preemptive derp strike is the latest from House of Schmuck.

The Judenazi has finally figured out that we don't let his daily hatespew go unchallenged, so he's taken to whining in advance that people are gonna be mean to him.

The RWCJ gets most of their innovations from the House of Schmuck, like hiding in the ignore bunker while lobbing verbal shitbombs at their political opponents.

You do know that Buffet does not even pay the taxes he owes?

I hate to sound like a right-winger here, but if you pay attention to what he actually does with his investments AND the fact that the biggest empty suit to ever occupy the Oval embraces him at every opportunity, it's really obvious that Buffet is just the smoothest talking wolf trying on sheep's clothing in the income inequality debate.

It seems that his main aim is to get people to focus on something weirdly Byzantine and unlikely to yield real results in human time, like reforming our tax code, than taking to the streets and challenging the structure of our economy itself.

The rich are the people who get the free wealth, ... through stealing it from the lower classes--QUOTE]

They "steal" it. Got it.

So when Sam Walton set up Walmart to sell goods at lower costs to people who freely decided to shop there and give them their money ... that's stealing?

When people stand in line for four days in the rain to buy the next version of the iPhone ... that's stealing?

No.

What does this have to do with my post?
Deflection practice.
dflct.gif

The rich are the people who get the free wealth, ... through stealing it from the lower classes--QUOTE]

They "steal" it. Got it.

So when Sam Walton set up Walmart to sell goods at lower costs to people who freely decided to shop there and give them their money ... that's stealing?

When people stand in line for four days in the rain to buy the next version of the iPhone ... that's stealing?
No, when Sam Walton and his subsequent heirs pay their employees shit, require them to work off the clock, and then walk them through how to file for economic assistance at the local, state, and federal levels, THAT'S stealing.

They steal the worker's wages, then the worker's labor, and then they steal from the taxpayer by bribing our "representatives" into letting them use our social safety to protect the bottom line of the executives rather than pay actual living wages.

No, when Sam Walton and his subsequent heirs pay their employees shit, require them to work off the clock, and then walk them through how to file for economic assistance at the local, state, and federal levels, THAT'S stealing.

They steal the worker's wages, then the worker's labor, and then they steal from the taxpayer by bribing our "representatives" into letting them use our social safety to protect the bottom line of the executives rather than pay actual living wages.

Amber firmly believes in companies RIGHT to subsidize their workforce on public assistance....because minimum wage is horrible!! They should be happy with .03c/day.

Last edited:
When right-wingers/rich people and their sychophants bring up that they pay more than the other classes in income tax, they always forget to mention how the amount of the country's wealth that has been distributed to them compares to the amount of taxes they pay.

Explain to us how the wealth was "distributed" to them.

Facts, not opinion.

Workers of the world unite!

Back