Looking for love but got catfished!! what should i do next

wizbit9

aint giving a munkys nuts
Joined
Apr 1, 2002
Posts
2,107
So i had a really shit experience this week

I met this woman through omegle and then continued onto KIK once the connection had timed out.

we had lots of things in common and it was nice to meet someone on lonely days off from work.

she explained she was an interpreter, she loved to travel, she had some part time modelling work and had an interest in starting up her own tea shop one day. As a business owner who also loves travel we got on well.

i didn't think anything of it or wether i could be talking to someone who is not who they say they are. (naivety on my part indeed)

we chatted for a few days, we exchanged stories and generally got to know each other. The conversations heated up then and we spent an enjoyable afternoon sex texting back and forth with suggestive pictures and text.

to be honest is was incredibly sexy especially as the photos she showed me of herself were very beautiful and i believed it through her part time modelling work.

I really did think nothing of it until a friend warned me of the possibility of cat fishing (a phrase id never heard of until then)

I did some routing about using photo recognition online free tools to see if they matched anywhere. i have been talking to who i thought was vea anderson a 23yr old from newcastle south wales australia.

turns out whoever it was was copying a gemma sanderson, 31 from newcastle south wales who now resides in london and is the 1st winner of australia's next top model. totally dupped and feel totally used.

i suppose i should have seen it coming but due to the realism of it and also the fact we had so much fun i was blinded by it

as an upstanding citizen should i report this anywhere, should i inform the real gemma sanderson this was done to her, should i just block everything and move on. i dont really know the ettique in such matters.

i would like to continue getting to know people in this way as i like the suspense and fun that it brings but is there somewhere more safer i should be doing it.

gutted indeed but a lesson definitely learnt.

any advice appreciated
 
Accept that lit is about fantasy and be happy that you had fun. I wouldn't waste time reporting it, her picture is probably used in a lot of places.

Pm her again and keep it casual, don't expect more than she may want to give. Or go post one of your sexiest encounters and keep it as a great memory.
 
I'm sorry you got catfished. It's even happened to me, except my man was being more obscure and using pictures from a cam model on reddit.

There's no point in reporting it, like Iceprincess says catfishing isn't uncommon and I'm sure her photos get used a lot.

Anyway, when I was catfished I crazily confronted/half screamed at the guy, needless to say it did not end well. I would suggest cutting off contact and moving on.
 
Sorry to hear about your bad experience wizbit

put that one down to experience, and you'll now better next time.

i suppose you should be grateful that it hadn't lasted months, and you had invested a lot of time and emotion into the realtionship

good luck for the future
 
It's the internet. People use it to lie, cheat, and deceive all the time.

The only way to be sure about someone is to meet in person.

I just gave $5000 to a Nigerian prince. I can't wait until I hear back from him.
 
A lot of people use the internet to project a persona of one sort or another. It's never happened to me but I sympathize with you. Reporting it would probably accomplish very little. Chalk it up to experience and move on. I've met people through the internet and had very intimate relations but by that point I had already met them via something like Skype or indeed in person. Of course it doesn't take the internet to get duped, happens just as easily offline too. Best of luck though!
 
It's the internet. People use it to lie, cheat, and deceive all the time.

The only way to be sure about someone is to meet in person.

I just gave $5000 to a Nigerian prince. I can't wait until I hear back from him.



obviously he will, yes....


But he's right. You cant go into it expecting anything to actually work. The net is where people make themselves look and sound how they wish they could. Once you have that perspective in mind that its mostly about having a good time, you wont get hurt as much
 
It's the internet. People use it to lie, cheat, and deceive all the time.

The only way to be sure about someone is to meet in person.

I just gave $5000 to a Nigerian prince. I can't wait until I hear back from him.

Once again, I wish Lit had a 'like' button :D

As people have already said, 'it's the internet' and you have to be savvy...generally if something looks too good to be true...
I can't imagine many models (myself excepted, naturally :D ) looking for love on a sex site but I guess you never know...
 
Dust yourself off, and get back on the horse. It sucks now, but this experience will leave you, hopefully not jaded, but at least more wary next time. An easy check for next time someone sends you a pic of "themself"? Run the pic through google images.....if Google doesn't find it, it MIGHT be a real pic. But if Google DOES find it, and it turns out to be someone else, then you know you're dealing with someone who's not being up front with you. What you do from that point on is your decision, but at least you're armed with the facts. Good luck.
 
Back
Top