The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, breakfast. If someone else is cooking, it's my favorite meal of the day. However, since I'm on my own I'm having a simple scrambled egg and a slice of bacon. Sigh A stack of sourdough flapjacks would go so well this morning . . .

I usually have that sort of breakfast you describe as 'simple'.
But I regret to say that 'sourdough' and 'flapjacks' are a mystery.

Well, sourdough is the archetypal yeast bread. If you make the dough with more water it becomes pancake (flapjack) batter. Call it a crepe sauvage on steroids. They're so good that no syrup is needed, just butter.

Well, sourdough is the archetypal yeast bread. If you make the dough with more water it becomes pancake (flapjack) batter. Call it a crepe sauvage on steroids. They're so good that no syrup is needed, just butter.

My sponge died. It was a tragic moment. The funeral was a sad affair.

'Sponge' and 'starter' are both names for the wild yeast culture that you keep so you can start baking with it at any time. Some would have you believe that a 'starter' is more liquid and a 'sponge' more like a runny dough. I think that's silly. They're both flour, water and yeast concoctions.

'Sponge' and 'starter' are both names for the wild yeast culture that you keep so you can start baking with it at any time. Some would have you believe that a 'starter' is more liquid and a 'sponge' more like a runny dough. I think that's silly. They're both flour, water and yeast concoctions.

AH. Now it makes more sense.

So the term "sponge" refers to the type/consistency of the yeast ?
So whence cometh the "Sour" ?

AH. Now it makes more sense.

Nearly, mate, nearly.
:)

So the term "sponge" refers to the type/consistency of the yeast ?
So whence cometh the "Sour" ?

Nearly, mate, nearly.
you know, i've only been to a couple of naked parties. I sorta think that puts me probably in the top 1% though since i don't think the average person ever gets to go to a naked party. One of the first things i learned about attending naked parties was that the conversation is far more mundane than one would think, considering you have a room full of naked people. I will still, though, go out on a limb and say conversations regarding yeast, or any other culture for that matter, are not really the type of conversation anyone really wants to have with a bunch of naked people. Grapes? can we talk about grapes. They are tasty, healthy, and i have have always found them, at least in some small way, strangely erotic

you know, i've only been to a couple of naked parties. I sorta think that puts me probably in the top 1% though since i don't think the average person ever gets to go to a naked party. One of the first things i learned about attending naked parties was that the conversation is far more mundane than one would think, considering you have a room full of naked people. I will still, though, go out on a limb and say conversations regarding yeast, or any other culture for that matter, are not really the type of conversation anyone really wants to have with a bunch of naked people. Grapes? can we talk about grapes. They are tasty, healthy, and i have have always found them, at least in some small way, strangely erotic

Nah, we talk about all sorts; and sometimes I learn something . . . .

Having been a nudist for more years than some can count, I've attended many nude parties. Home parties, garden parties, camping parties. The conversations are wide and varied. Cooking almost always comes up. Especially at dinners and barbecues. So I don't find a discussion of yeast that far out.

The term 'sour' is based on the taste of the baked goods that result. Please, HP, don't tell me you can't go to a store in the UK and buy sourdough loaves? If so, you guys are missing a serious treat. That way of baking dates to the Old Kingdom of Egypt. We have archaeological proof! It was the first raised bread and made the traditional way takes a couple of days from first mixing the dough to the baking. The colonists who came to N. America brought their starters with them (because there was no such thing as commercial yeast in those days) and as the country expanded West the sourdough pot was an essential part of the pioneers' luggage. Sourdough biscuits were a staple on the cattle drives from Texas up to Kansas where the railhead was. Cowboys lived for days on a diet of sourdough, dried beans and beef . . . and actually that doesn't sound like a penance. During the Alaska Gold Rush, sourdough pancakes were the prospector's/miner's daily bread. You start them the night before and the make them up for breakfast, lunch and dinner . . . and then start the next back fermenting overnight.

The term 'sour' is based on the taste of the baked goods that result. Please, HP, don't tell me you can't go to a store in the UK and buy sourdough loaves? If so, you guys are missing a serious treat. That way of baking dates to the Old Kingdom of Egypt. We have archaeological proof! It was the first raised bread and made the traditional way takes a couple of days from first mixing the dough to the baking. The colonists who came to N. America brought their starters with them (because there was no such thing as commercial yeast in those days) and as the country expanded West the sourdough pot was an essential part of the pioneers' luggage. Sourdough biscuits were a staple on the cattle drives from Texas up to Kansas where the railhead was. Cowboys lived for days on a diet of sourdough, dried beans and beef . . . and actually that doesn't sound like a penance. During the Alaska Gold Rush, sourdough pancakes were the prospector's/miner's daily bread. You start them the night before and the make them up for breakfast, lunch and dinner . . . and then start the next back fermenting overnight.

In Alaska, the prospectors actually slept with their sponges, lest they succumb to the frigid temperatures. They won't ferment if too chilled, so they kept the sponge pot under the blankets with them.

Whenever I need to start a new one, I usually do so during harvest time. There is much more yeast in the air as the farmers are cutting down the corn, beans, and whatever else they're growing. Leaves are falling, temps are still warm and the dough has much more character. This time, I shall remember to feed the poor thing so it doesn't die.

The term 'sour' is based on the taste of the baked goods that result. Please, HP, don't tell me you can't go to a store in the UK and buy sourdough loaves? If so, you guys are missing a serious treat.

Sorry, Bear, but I ain't seen "sourdough" anything . I understand that there are now some 'artisan' bakeries which can supply it, but my small supermarket (I'm in a wild rural area)
You know, come to think about it, I wondered how the ancients got their bread to rise. Wild yeast is not to be encouraged when making home-brew wines, as I once did.

In Alaska, the prospectors actually slept with their sponges, lest they succumb to the frigid temperatures. They won't ferment if too chilled, so they kept the sponge pot under the blankets with them.

Whenever I need to start a new one, I usually do so during harvest time. There is much more yeast in the air as the farmers are cutting down the corn, beans, and whatever else they're growing. Leaves are falling, temps are still warm and the dough has much more character. This time, I shall remember to feed the poor thing so it doesn't die.

Feed it with a little sugar ?

Sorry, Bear, but I ain't seen "sourdough" anything . I understand that there are now some 'artisan' bakeries which can supply it, but my small supermarket (I'm in a wild rural area)
You know, come to think about it, I wondered how the ancients got their bread to rise. Wild yeast is not to be encouraged when making home-brew wines, as I once did.

Feed it with a little sugar ?

. . . Or flour. The best way to keep it alive and thriving is to use it. Each time you take out a cup of starter for a new baking you add flour and water (or milk if you want it really sour), let it rise and then before you start the new loaves, put a cup back in. That way there's always fresh flour being added to the starter. You can keep it in fridge for months but you do have to take it out and use it once in a while and when you do you have to let it warm up for a few hours and then stir it. It will collect a low-grade alcohol on top. This is colloquially known as "hooch". It's pretty foul. Just stir it back into the starter. It will all boil off in the baking.

. . . Or flour. The best way to keep it alive and thriving is to use it. Each time you take out a cup of starter for a new baking you add flour and water (or milk if you want it really sour), let it rise and then before you start the new loaves, put a cup back in. That way there's always fresh flour being added to the starter. You can keep it in fridge for months but you do have to take it out and use it once in a while and when you do you have to let it warm up for a few hours and then stir it. It will collect a low-grade alcohol on top. This is colloquially known as "hooch". It's pretty foul. Just stir it back into the starter. It will all boil off in the baking.

Thanks, Bear.
I must have a word with my local Baker.

Thanks, Bear.
I must have a word with my local Baker.

To hell with the baker. Just do your own. It's very good, and has some great health benefits. The fragrance of it in the kitchen is lovely, and nothing tastes better than a slice of sourdough with a fine honey to go with your tea.

To hell with the baker. Just do your own. It's very good, and has some great health benefits. The fragrance of it in the kitchen is lovely, and nothing tastes better than a slice of sourdough with a fine honey to go with your tea.

My late wife used to 'experiment' with making bread and the smells in the kitchen were something wonderful (I think it's all that Carbon Dioxide), but the yeast came either dried from the supermarket of a chunk from the Baker (which my old Mum used to use on her wines).
Nobody ever mentioned sourdough, though.
Come to think about it, that would have been illogical. . . .

Commercial sourdough starters are readily available online. However, as Molly pointed out, you can just combine 2 parts flour and 2.5 parts water and let it sit out for a few days. The natural yeasts will collect in the batter and begin to ferment it. If you want it to work really well and faster you can then put it under a warming lamp, in the oven (if you have a stove with a pilot light) or in a warm, sunny window. When it smells like bread it's ready to use.

Commercial sourdough starters are readily available online. However, as Molly pointed out, you can just combine 2 parts flour and 2.5 parts water and let it sit out for a few days. The natural yeasts will collect in the batter and begin to ferment it. If you want it to work really well and faster you can then put it under a warming lamp, in the oven (if you have a stove with a pilot light) or in a warm, sunny window. When it smells like bread it's ready to use.

Wanna point me at a SIMPLE recipe please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back