High votes, but few reads...

The only requirement for the H is to have at least 10 votes and a score of 4.5 or over.
 
I have one that has puzzled me. It's got nearly 50 comments 99% of them good. It's been Favorited almost 250 times since I posted it in march.

Yet the score struggles to keep a red "H"

Puzzling.

http://www.literotica.com/s/saturday-morning-cartoons


I've all but given up on trying to understand the voting, scoring, statistical numbers part of the site. It's beyond me. I'll just write what i want to wite and hope it's enjoyed.

Thant's about all you can hope for after all.

MST

Not a genre I'd usually read so I may be way off base, but is it that the narrator doesn't end up getting off? Readers who are identifying with him might be looking for more.
 
Not a genre I'd usually read so I may be way off base, but is it that the narrator doesn't end up getting off? Readers who are identifying with him might be looking for more.

Possibly.

Lord knows a lot of comments/requests have been for a sequel. It was written as a stand alone and, given where I left the story, any sequel would almost read as stroke.

It would be very difficult to pull off what I did with the first part again unless I was really feeling the story, which I'm not at the moment.:(

I'll give it some thought.
 
A touch too slick and professional though, if I may say so. And I'm saying this because I'd like to see something from you that isn't coming out of the best psych school in NYC. You know, stop releasing all the ID/TRUTH like someone outta Lee Strasberg and show me some REAL card playing.

Not sure I get your point. Especially ID/TRUTH.

Do we have your best game yet?

If you mean "Do I have "better stories" that I keep hidden? Then no.

If you mean "will I get better in time"? Then I hope so!
 
MrIllusion.

Are you American?

You have to be American. You are a good writer, just thought I'd make that clear.

Ask any Euro or Brit or half way still Asian Asian, and they will tell you you don't want to see inside of their Id's; it is way too disgusting and unnerving.

But... that is what we all want to see!

Either, like most Americans, your insides really are squeaky clean and snow white (see you expect god to penalize you when you are judged), or you are still hiding...

Are you still hiding, anything, inside, that might prove of interest to those who read porn?
 
Most of us European types have corrupted one god or another already by now. And therefore actually DO expect to get away with sins of one kind or another. There is something strikingly sort of morally innocent about the stories that I read - even though on the one hand they are fully caste as let's say 'erotic literature.'

I suppose my original comment was not one I expected to get away with saying without some greater explanation as to complete meaning.

Yet there is something almost 'too perfect,' somewhat technically flawless in MrIllusion's writing that gets me to ask this question when I have read some of his material - 'who is the person behind the writer?'

It isn't at all necessarily a huge criticism, of course. Yet I have to say - since he asked the question, and I am giving an answer in good faith - that all of the usual suspects here, well, I think I can 'see' some of their own real personalities in their writing. There's a kind of a 'fingerprint.'

I can't see the touch of a real person in MrIllusion's writing...

If someone said to me this is a person who feeds a story plan into a computer that writes extremely technically adequate English, I would say yep, I believe that.

Look I could be completely barking up a wrong tree here, but, the ONLY problem with MrIllusion's writing is that it is too perfect.

Does he vote Republican or Democrat? Can't tell. Does he really want to fuck his own sister? Can't tell. Why I said 'American' is because culturally - and I wouldn't be the only non-American although I was educated almost exclusively by Americans, to say this - Americans tend to assert something and expect to be believed that they are telling the truth. And generally they ARE telling the truth. More's the pity. I am inclined towards Pilate on 'the Truth:' What is truth? And then he (Pilate) walked away not waiting around to hear the answer. He doesn't believe there is an answer! And yet, even this Gospel story exists INSIDE something that suggests that there IS a Truth - in other words, there is an internal dynamic going on. Undecided, not transparent at all, not straightforward, and definitely not 'merely an assertion.' That's what makes it abidingly great literature. It is human and imperfect in the sense of not being machine-perfect.

No ordinary European would get away with expecting to be believed because he asserted something in straightforward words. That is why they use many different word shadings with a lot of uncertain shades of meaning and many possible implications and suggested meanings.

MrIllusion is not 'edgy' at all - not for me at least, when I read him. Erotic literature/erotic porn literature not edgy... Hmn. See what I mean?

But I can't really say that everyone is going to agree with me here - I am completely sure that there would be people, who would say for instance 'brother/sister incest is edgy just because of the subject and that is that.' But for me, anyone who can write as technically skilfully as MrIllusion, is going to make me ask, well - show me the edge. Show me, the EROTIC TURN ON. I mean, REALLY do it.

To me, since he asked, I think there is much left but don't hand me American text-book psychology about it in a story. I wanna know what his character feels, and I mean really feels. Not something that could be analysed and summarised with a 'yes, that is what the psychology text books say this character should be feeling.'

Hannibal Lecter is a sympathetic villain, and a memorable one; we cannot truly 'understand' him. Because we are not psychopaths. He is horribly repugnant, and at the same time magnetic and burns our own curiosity, ready willing and able to kill us on account of it. Why he is he really 'sympathetic?' I don't know. He shouldn't be. That's what makes him interesting, the possible internal debate or mystery about why anything so horrid CAN still attract and engage our attention so vividly.

There is no internal debate available in MrIllusion's characterisation.

How you get one going, though, is not something I know technically, actually how to do.

A computer might or could. And it would still transparently be the work of a machine.

And that is what I am suggesting MrIllusion not be or become as he develops his next story/stories. Give me, a human touch. (Of course I'm not 'owed' anything at all as a reader or critic - but since he asked, that is my response). MrIllusion is a very good writer, no doubt about it. But could there be more; yes there could.
 
Last edited:
Most of us European types have corrupted one god or another already by now. And therefore actually DO expect to get away with sins of one kind or another. There is something strikingly sort of morally innocent about the stories that I read - even though on the one hand they are fully caste as let's say 'erotic literature.'

I think you'd find that most Americans either don't (really) believe in God, keep a hazy understanding of the concept at the back of their brain, give far more credence to the concept in lip service than in mind, or just refuse to think about it altogether in the given moment.

Perhaps you've been reading too much Hawthorne(?)
 
MrIllusion.

Are you American?

You have to be American. You are a good writer, just thought I'd make that clear.

Ask any Euro or Brit or half way still Asian Asian, and they will tell you you don't want to see inside of their Id's; it is way too disgusting and unnerving.

But... that is what we all want to see!

Either, like most Americans, your insides really are squeaky clean and snow white (see you expect god to penalize you when you are judged), or you are still hiding...

Are you still hiding, anything, inside, that might prove of interest to those who read porn?

You're joking, right? Either that or way out of touch on Americans.

I think you'd find that most Americans either don't (really) believe in God, keep a hazy understanding of the concept at the back of their brain, give far more credence to the concept in lip service than in mind, or just refuse to think about it altogether in the given moment.

Perhaps you've been reading too much Hawthorne(?)

To DMMW, and in agreement with Pilot, I'd say not to forget that America is a large place, and not to get stuck on your view of it from the 60s or thereabouts. And that the culture here is way more diverse than that of any single European country. They don't call it the melting pot for nuthin'. I say this as someone who moved from the old world to the new, and who's moved back and forth a lot since.

That said, I haven't read MrIllusion, so I can't comment on how complex (or not) his writing is. DMMW makes me somewhat curious...
 
Oh, I see. Maybe you can't see my fingerprint because you've not yet encountered someone like me in your life? I'm a strange person... :) I'm pretty sure my friends would smile a lot, reading those stories, as my proclivities, quirks and fetishes do stand out quite obviously.

I'm more surprised by your comments on my writing skill: English is not my first language and I often get comments and feedback about my odd grammar/syntax. As for the fact that my stories not being edgy, it is fantasy and personally I'm not looking for edge or drama and complex story lines when I read/write erotica. I do enjoy this when I read other types of novels, though...

Finally, am I Republican or Democrat? I'm neither! :)
 
Back
Top