John Glenn: 1921-2016

Wrong Element

Sentient Onion
Veteran of two wars, last of the Mercury 7, great public servant and all-around decent human being who I voted for several times.

This year can't end soon enough.

Someone with the right stuff for sure. Strap your ass to a basically experimental rocket with thousands of pounds of explosive fuel and head for the stars.

2017 won't make a difference. We'll lose a generational icon shortly there after.

Not on my google news feed, CNN or Fox yet.

I'm hoping you are wrong. Glenn was one of my heroes growing up.

Found it on ABC. :(

Last edited:
Not on my google news feed, CNN or Fox yet.

I'm hoping you are wrong. Glenn was one of my heroes growing up.

Found it on ABC. :(

Yeah, he went into the hospital yesterday. It was huge news here.

Edited: He went in the hospital a week ago.

This saddens me so much. :(

Last edited:
Dude was married for 73 years, a much bigger achievement than flying in space.

His wife Annie, still alive, is a member of the National Stuttering Association's Hall of F-f-f-f-fame.

1a-blun04-art-gkem63ld-11a-blun04-blv-02-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Veteran of two wars, last of the Mercury 7, great public servant and all-around decent human being who I voted for several times.

This year can't end soon enough.

Agreed..........great man and someone I always knew wanted the best........so i age myself at 61 but it is what is is.......he was a good man

I got to visit Cape Canaveral a few years ago. The tour took us to the launch site for the Mercury astronauts. I have a pic somewhere of John Glenn's plaque at the launch complex he took off from.

I also saw the Apollo 1 site. There was a Space-X rocket not far away preparing for an upcoming launch.

What a shame and a loss.

Crap, i Got Him AnD Buzz Aldrin Mixed Up! !

Last edited:

He was the real thing.

They don't make very many like him.

Be sure to read Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff before you die.

Was gonna make an Ed Harris joke but Glenn deserves better. Good dude.
Better than Scott Glenn's "My name, Jose Jiminez" jokes. But I wonder: was John Glenn a better pilot and sosmonaut, or Senator?

Better than Scott Glenn's "My name, Jose Jiminez" jokes. But I wonder: was John Glenn a better pilot and sosmonaut, or Senator?

I'm not from his state and never followed his career with more than just passing interest so I can't comment on what kind of senator he was but I think he was a rare breed of pilot. Not many guys can or would do what he and the other Mercury guys did. I have never been easily impressed by other people but all those guys deserve every single bit of praise they have ever received.

Even more could we use a NASA as ambitious as it was in the '60s. Heroes will show up when there's something heroic for them to do.

I think that's true for the most part. A hero needs something to be heroic about and if it never comes around then a good hero will simply live a quiet life.

My hero when I was a kid, even bigger than Mickey Mantle.
But John Glenn was a much better man than The Mick.

I was born after the Mercury and Apollo missions were mothballed. I grew up watching the space shuttle and I was always mesmerized by those extraordinary men and women whose calling it is to explore the vast emptiness of space.
That all started with the likes men like John Glenn.
We should all be even half the man that was.
Semper Fi, Sir.

Dude was married for 73 years, a much bigger achievement than flying in space.

His wife Annie, still alive, is a member of the National Stuttering Association's Hall of F-f-f-f-fame.
Not only still alive, at 96, but went shopping for groceries because she said a lot of people will be stopping by the house.

Said on the news they met in nursery school.

He was certainly a good senator. For someone who was basically elected as a nonpartisan celebrity (at least at first -- as time went on, he came to seem more like a conventional Democrat), he worked hard at it too. He ended up specializing in things like nuclear proliferation and the hidden corners of the Pentagon budget, the sorts of things that don't make headlines.

Not only still alive, at 96, but went shopping for groceries because she said a lot of people will be stopping by the house.

Said on the news they met in nursery school.

There was a documentary on him a few years back where they said John and Annie actually shared a playpen, because their parents were friends and they were frequently at each other's house.

The last time I saw Glenn was about a year ago when he was introducing Bill Clinton at Ohio State, and for the first time I thought he really seemed old. He was in amazing physical condition well into old age; I think he still had a valid pilot's license, though it had been a few years since he had needed it.

He was one of the Keating 5 s&l scandal bribe recipients, but got a get out of jail free card along with john mccain.

John Glenn was also one of the first Manufactured Celebrities of the post-war era.

He was one of the Keating 5 s&l scandal bribe recipients, but got a get out of jail free card along with john mccain.

I'd forgotten about that. The good people over at Wikipedia said the resulting investigation recommended charges against three congressmen, but that John Glenn and then-congressman John McCain were guilty of "poor judgement that did not rise to the level of criminal charges"

In the pre-FoxNews era, that was enough. Nowadays, of course, we get "but..but...email servers!" 24/7/365

Back