Are you a good reader?

But I liked your pompous asshole feedback threads! O'course you weren't talking about my stories.

Everyone enjoys the sight of a good old-fashioned ass whoppin' until it's their turn. :D

I've always done this with movies more than books, but its increased since I've stated writing, especially the last couple of years when I've been working on full length novels.

Anything that contradicts something previously mentioned stands out to me and I'm always caught up in the "why the hell wouldn't they just..."

That's when the wife answers "Because then there wouldn't be a movie."

Best example ever.....where the hell were the eagles from the Hobbit during Lord of the Rings? Fly over Morder and plunk the ring into the fire lake.

No, let's stroll across all of war torn middle Earth! :D

Even Tolkien was prone to plot holes. As he said:

"The most critical reader of all, myself, now finds many defects, minor and major, but being unfortunately under no obligation either to review the book or to write it again, he will pass over these in silence, except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short."

Very few people can create an engaging tale. Even fewer are able to harmonise the elements they have created.

I know no one is perfect, but goddammit I don't deserve to read a story where you can't keep track of a dozen fucking characters doing a dozen different things on the same fucking page.

I've always done this with movies more than books, but its increased since I've stated writing, especially the last couple of years when I've been working on full length novels.

Anything that contradicts something previously mentioned stands out to me and I'm always caught up in the "why the hell wouldn't they just..."

Best example ever.....where the hell were the eagles from the Hobbit during Lord of the Rings? Fly over Morder and plunk the ring into the fire lake.

I figured as long as Sauron was up and running he'd put up an eagle-proof force field. Or sprayed the surrounding mountains with eagle repellant. Or something. But yes, that is a big plot hole. The wisest people in Middle Earth gathered to solve the world's most vexing problem and decided, "Let's do this the hardest way possible! Fuckin' A!"

It would have been a short and not very interesting story if they'd decided otherwise, however.

Tolkien described the eagles as "proud" but I always got the impression that was a diplomatic way to say snobbish and stand-offish. An unreliable ally at best. Like they might help out if you asked nicely, and if it served their interests, and if there wasn't anything good on television. Like that friend you never ask for a favor until you're truly desperate, because you just know there's going to make a big deal out of it and constantly hold it over your head and probably still say no.

"The eagles?" replied Elrond incredulously. "Oh, do not get me started on the eagles. No. Things will have get a lot worse before I call on those guys."

Tolkien described the eagles as "proud" but I always got the impression that was a diplomatic way to say snobbish and stand-offish. An unreliable ally at best. Like they might help out if you asked nicely, and if it served their interests, and if there wasn't anything good on television. Like that friend you never ask for a favor until you're truly desperate, because you just know there's going to make a big deal out of it and constantly hold it over your head and probably still say no.

"The eagles?" replied Elrond incredulously. "Oh, do not get me started on the eagles. No. Things will have get a lot worse before I call on those guys."

Well the Eagle that saved Gandolf when he jumped off Saruman's tower seemed pretty willing to help;)

But yes the Eagles were snobbish. Henley and Frye(RIP) reached the point where their music became a vehicle for their politics.

Ninety-five percent of the stories here are 'not to my taste' (and my stories are clearly not to the taste of 95 percent of readers). But I have a few favourites. :)

Indeed. And the other 5% is to time consuming to browse for.

No. I'm a terrible reader. Most stuff on here I can't get past a paragraph or two.

Why didn't the eagles carry Bilbo and the dwarves all the way to Lonely Mountain instead of dropping them on a rock 50 miles away?

Why didn't the eagles carry Bilbo and the dwarves all the way to Lonely Mountain instead of dropping them on a rock 50 miles away?

The eagles didn't really like the goblins, so they rescued the dwarves because they thought it was funny.

But the eagles also didn't really like the dwarves, so they dropped them on a rock 50 miles from the Lonely Mountain, because they also thought it was funny.

Basically, the eagles are capricious assholes who do what they want, when they want. #ChaoticNeutral

Better yet, why does the Hobbit glorify Bilbo who blatantly cheated in the riddle contest with Gollum? Conniving little shit was made to look like a hero when in reality he was sneaky little shit Gollum should have gutted and left for dead.

That's how I would have written it anyway. But hey, I tend to be that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on Lit for a bit. I read a lot in the early days, but I found that most of what I read, didn't appeal to me. Not just grammar or word choice, the stories weren't good. Just quick with the dick, or whatever.

It finally made me decide to try to write, hell, I write technical reports for a living. I could do better, right? It's a work in progress still. I'm currently reviewing my earlier efforts for resubmit because they were a little rough. I love trying to write a good story, because that's what I always found lacking in most of what I read.

NB

That Eye in the Sky would have seen them. The eagles didn't have trees to hide under.

That eagle was a badass. He's the one that steps forward when everyone else steps back, like Marty Mcfly stepping up to Biff.

Scared of the dragon. Didn't want to become a snack.

------------------------------------
I thought this was obvious.

Try this article. It says why Sauron and Nazgul couldn't do shit about eagles:

http://www.sean-crist.com/personal/pages/eagles/index.html

Even Tolkien was prone to plot holes.

Very few people can create an engaging tale. Even fewer are able to harmonise the elements they have created.

I know no one is perfect, but goddammit I don't deserve to read a story where you can't keep track of a dozen fucking characters doing a dozen different things on the same fucking page.

I confess to being a bit of a fan of J L Carr. I recently re-read 'A Month in the Country' for the umpteenth time. And, momentarily, I was thrown by the way in which some people's names change during the course of the story. But it's still a good read. :)

I confess to being a bit of a fan of J L Carr. I recently re-read 'A Month in the Country' for the umpteenth time. And, momentarily, I was thrown by the way in which some people's names change during the course of the story. But it's still a good read. :)

So some of you have established that you ARE good readers, just not good readers in Lit's context.

Being the terrible reader that I am, I still wouldn't mind hearing about Lit stories that did grab and hold the attention of you other bad readers. Maybe there's something for me to learn.

Does being a writer change the way you read?

I used to (long ago, now) read stories on Lit. Since I started posting my own I have a really hard time reading stories. I can't remember any recent event when I grabbed a new story and read it to the end: pacing issues, characterization problems, stereotypes and cliches. I don't know what it is, exactly.

Stories I pick up off from Lit usually don't hold my interest. If I'm reading a friend's story it's different. It's a commitment. If I'm beta reading it's different. It's a commitment. Without the commitment, it's really hard for me to follow a story through.

I'm usually writing, and don't get a lot of time to read, but I do go searching for what I enjoy, and when I find it, I read it aggressively and often. :D

I'll overlook a lot of issues in writing here that I wouldn't outside of Lit. People are writing as a hobby, for fun. To share something that turns them on. I don't expect polished copy.

I find it much harder to slow down enough to read something for someone else, but when I do, I read it properly, and if I'm editing, I'll pick out everything (if that's what they want) and give as much feedback as I can.

Being the terrible reader that I am, I still wouldn't mind hearing about Lit stories that did grab and hold the attention of you other bad readers. Maybe there's something for me to learn.

If you haven't read MelissaBaby's "My Fall and Rise" yet, it should grab and hold your attention.

My comments were sarcasm and humor, with hopes that my 'simple' statement would show that. When it comes down to it, I don't let a plot hole, real or imagined, get in the way of my enjoyment for something I find entertaining.

The fact we spend time making fun of plot holes proves my entertainment. If i sucks I would never waste a thought on it.

The fact we spend time making fun of plot holes proves my entertainment. If i sucks I would never waste a thought on it.

Are you a reader who stares at the screen and shouts, "Wait, what? Tad was Jim's stepson before, and now he's his nephew? And when the fuck did he put on a mankini? Was that before or after he took his pants off twice, in two consecutive paragraphs?"

And then leans back, high on that dopamine rush, going, Aaaah, fuck yeah. That's good.

Or is that just me? :D

Are you a reader who stares at the screen and shouts, "Wait, what? Tad was Jim's stepson before, and now he's his nephew? And when the fuck did he put on a mankini? Was that before or after he took his pants off twice, in two consecutive paragraphs?"

And then leans back, high on that dopamine rush, going, Aaaah, fuck yeah. That's good.

Or is that just me? :D

Usually its, oh for fuck's sake. the guy had brass knuckles on! No one gets hit in the face that many times with brass knuckles and gets up! And how many fucking bullets are in that gun?

How is it that guy never missed all movie, but of course he misses when he shoots at him!

Then looks at the wife....Jeez, I mean is it me?

Yes, honey, it is you.

Well, you're no help.:rolleyes:

Back