The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2018 Support Thread

I wrote a good, straight forward Halloween sex scene almost two years ago. I have now started and discarded 4 set-up/intros for the scene, working on the 5th. Likely categories have shifted from Erotic Coupling to Mature, Incest, Interracial, and now back to Incest-Taboo.

It wouldn’t be eligible for an award in the contest anyhow, but i’d like to get the dang thing done in time to enter.

I wrote a good, straight forward Halloween sex scene almost two years ago. I have now started and discarded 4 set-up/intros for the scene, working on the 5th. Likely categories have shifted from Erotic Coupling to Mature, Incest, Interracial, and now back to Incest-Taboo.

It wouldn’t be eligible for an award in the contest anyhow, but i’d like to get the dang thing done in time to enter.

I sympathise. I opened the draft of one of mine, started in 2014, and decided to change the 1st person protagonist from father to daughter (No! It won't be incest). It was going to be mature. Now? I don't know what category it will finish as.

PS: Several hours later and I think that draft is heading to the junk pile of probably never will be finished. The revisions have made it more of a mess than it was. Never mind. I still have xxx incomplete stores to work on, and yes, it is three digits and the first digit isn't a 1.

Last edited:
I sympathise. I opened the draft of one of mine, started in 2014, and decided to change the 1st person protagonist from father to daughter (No! It won't be incest). It was going to be mature. Now? I don't know what category it will finish as.

PS: Several hours later and I think that draft is heading to the junk pile of probably never will be finished. The revisions have made it more of a mess than it was. Never mind. I still have xxx incomplete stores to work on, and yes, it is three digits and the first digit isn't a 1.

SAME! I thought I was the only person to have several (hundred) stories started that will probably never be finished.

My Halloween story has been posted. That was fast! I just submitted it less than 24 hours before. And so far I have good ratings, but only 2 people have voted :(

SAME! I thought I was the only person to have several (hundred) stories started that will probably never be finished.

My Halloween story has been posted. That was fast! I just submitted it less than 24 hours before. And so far I have good ratings, but only 2 people have voted :(

Several hundred? I've lost count on how many I have laying around the hard drive but it is probably close to 300. :eek:

My story posted about as fast as yours. I wondered where category to post in and ended up with EC. After it came out, I happened to think, what is more erotic than warlocks and witches taking advantage of normal people. Not to mention it is a fuck fest from start to finish. :D

ETA: I post about my story here and what do you know, the one bombers come out in hoards. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ETA: I post about my story here and what do you know, the one bombers come out in hoards. :rolleyes:

Hordes, not hoards, but I get the message and sympathise. One of my two gets close to an H and is bombed yet again.

Hordes, not hoards, but I get the message and sympathise. One of my two gets close to an H and is bombed yet again.

I would say at least you guys are getting ratings, because mine is barely getting anything, but I know how bad those one bombs suck :/ Hopefully a sweep will come along and take care of those.

But dammit I've only gotten a couple people to even rate my story and yeah I know there's still time, but I usually get most reads the first day and then not much of anything. I'm not sure I'm going to get 25...

Category Question

I'm working on a story for this contest that I had intended all along to file under erotic horror, but I suppose I might be able to file it under group sex. Any suggestions about which one makes more sense?

It's definitely a horror story, but the climactic scene will involve group sex. My preference is to get it in front of the greatest number of eyeballs rather than to get the highest score possible.

Any thoughts?

I would say at least you guys are getting ratings, because mine is barely getting anything, but I know how bad those one bombs suck :/ Hopefully a sweep will come along and take care of those.

But dammit I've only gotten a couple people to even rate my story and yeah I know there's still time, but I usually get most reads the first day and then not much of anything. I'm not sure I'm going to get 25...

Which category did you post it in?

I'm working on a story for this contest that I had intended all along to file under erotic horror, but I suppose I might be able to file it under group sex. Any suggestions about which one makes more sense?

It's definitely a horror story, but the climactic scene will involve group sex. My preference is to get it in front of the greatest number of eyeballs rather than to get the highest score possible.

Any thoughts?

If it is Erotic Horror the it should go in Erotic Horror. Just my humble opinion, so take it or leave it. ;)

Any thoughts?

Erotic Horror is usually a dead zone. It rises from the grave for the Halloween contest, but that may not get you a lot of readers who are specific to the category -- just contest readers who you would probably get anyway.

I posted one story to Erotic Horror, and I'd probably do something different if I could do it again.

If it is Erotic Horror the it should go in Erotic Horror. Just my humble opinion, so take it or leave it. ;)

It is more of an erotic horror story than a group sex story, so this seems like the more honest thing to do, even if it might get fewer views.

Which category did you post it in?

I posted mine in Erotic Horror because it is a horror story. Well that's how it started, but the whole story kind of shifted to a romance story, sadly.

I don't know if there was a sweep or what, but my story score is back up where it was before all the bombs went off. Poor bombers, when will they learn. :D

I don't know if there was a sweep or what, but my story score is back up where it was before all the bombs went off. Poor bombers, when will they learn. :D

Mine aren't and today's up voting matches the favoriting, so it doesn't look to be from a sweep and the voting hasn't gone up much compared to the zapping yesterday. Yesterday was a massive attack day--one story went from a 4.77 to 4.32 in a short period of time. The stories should look fine after the sweeps at the end of the contest. What I've been noticing is that contest stories seem to be getting a more rigorous scrub than the normal file is, so I'm putting more in the contests.

Mine aren't and today's up voting matches the favoriting, so it doesn't look to be from a sweep and the voting hasn't gone up much compared to the zapping yesterday. Yesterday was a massive attack day--one story went from a 4.77 to 4.32 in a short period of time. The stories should look fine after the sweeps at the end of the contest. What I've been noticing is that contest stories seem to be getting a more rigorous scrub than the normal file is, so I'm putting more in the contests.

Yeah no sweep for me either, mine is hovering barely above 4.5 :/
Yesterday it stayed at 5 for about 7 votes, then went down to 4.75 and stayed there until I got up this morning to see it barely above 4.5.
Which actually is probably higher than it should be, I still feel like I had some loose ends I needed to fix before submitting it.

Just sent mine off for editing. Hope to have it back in time.
I wonder what the right category will be for a romantic story of lesbian anal domination and exhibitionism...

I posted mine in Erotic Horror because it is a horror story. Well that's how it started, but the whole story kind of shifted to a romance story, sadly.

I was worse than that. I started with erotic horror and it turned slasher with blood spraying everywhere and it was getting a bit over the top and turning into a novel so I dropped it and started a little Halloween romance but they keep wanting to do it again! And again! And now the sex is just out of hand and I'm trying to get my characters under control but.... :eek:

I was worse than that. I started with erotic horror and it turned slasher with blood spraying everywhere and it was getting a bit over the top and turning into a novel so I dropped it and started a little Halloween romance but they keep wanting to do it again! And again! And now the sex is just out of hand and I'm trying to get my characters under control but.... :eek:

LOL! Oh no!
I've had my characters take the story in a direction I wasn't planning before, and sometimes you just can't get them to listen, do what you want!

So I may end up deleting my Halloween story, I had a friend read it over for me and she made some notes, and it seems that I left one of the notes in my story when I submitted it :(
Thanks to Ruben for pointing it out to me, he always looks out for me :D
But jeez! I read over it three times after she sent it back to me, once I even read it out loud to my daughter to see if she had any suggestions, so I'm not sure how I left it in.
It's been getting decent ratings and I've even had 2 people email me saying how much they like it so it sucks I may have to delete it.

Don't you dare deleting it; it's a great story and no-one is perfect! I'll never comment again :(

NO! Don't leave me :D I'd truly be completely lost without all of your help!
I think I can have Laurel edit it for me? I just feel bad asking her because I know she's one person doing everything.
Maybe I'll just leave it alone and pretend I didn't leave it in hehehe

NO! Don't leave me :D I'd truly be completely lost without all of your help!
I think I can have Laurel edit it for me? I just feel bad asking her because I know she's one person doing everything.
Maybe I'll just leave it alone and pretend I didn't leave it in hehehe

Leave it there and write the next one. Once it's up it's up and c'est la vie. Nothing to be gained by deleting it. Just move on and write the next....

Leave it there and write the next one. Once it's up it's up and c'est la vie. Nothing to be gained by deleting it. Just move on and write the next....

That's pretty much what I've decided to do. No point in making work for Laurel, and really it's not the end of the world.

Now on to the next story...

If it has gay sex in it, I'd place it in Gay Male. You can put horror in Gay Male (I have done so) and you can win/place in a contest in Gay Male (I have in different account names twice).

Yeah if it has gay sex it needs to go in Gay Male or you're going to have people complaining it's int he wrong category.

As for the other question, honestly I don't remember a song in A Christmas Carol either.
I decided to google it and got this reason it's called a carol
http://www.learn-english-network.org/books/christmascarol/whycallitacarol.htm
Short version
Dickens called his story A Christmas Carol because he expected the story to be repeated and shared and to bring people together just as the singing of Christmas carols spread joy and brought families together each season throughout London. His carol was a song of praise of the Christmas season and of the redemption of Ebenezer Scrooge.

Cleverly, Dickens called the five chapters of the book "staves." A musical stave is a stanza with a consistent theme and mood. Each stave in the story delivers a different message and each has a definite mood. As in a carol each stave can stand alone but each contributes to the carol’s overall theme.

And I can't wait to read it!

I recently read your one story, can't remember the name(my memory is shit and is why I always use the same names for my characters :/ ) anyway with Roy and Monique, and I loved it! A very neat idea that I really enjoyed.

I just wrote my first lit-compliant story in a million years. I really hope I've improved. I don't expect to place, but I'd be happy if I got some feedback so I can improve as a writer.

It's just a cute little story about a werewolf and his boyfriend.

Yeah if it has gay sex it needs to go in Gay Male or you're going to have people complaining it's int he wrong category.

Wait, what? Fuck. I put it in non-human.
I even started a thread on this to help me! I'm so bad at picking the right category.
Well, that's probably gonna hurt me.
Shit.

Back