What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

Gianbatistta is DESPERATE to try gumbo. I had it when young and did not love it, but I think my tastes are matured now to like it more.

I wonder if I should try and make a gumbo this weekend too? A 'we love America' weekend? Burger, some gumbo......pie. :D

I've never been able to make gumbo (or Jambalaya, etc.) as good as they make it at the restaurant. In fact, it's almost time for Cajun cooking and eating with friends-- annual pre-season baseball feast at a local restaurant.
If you do make wonderful gumbo this weekend, send me the recipe!
 
Macdonalds are advertising a burger the highlight of which seems to be it has bacon and comes in a brioche bun. So.....we can easily do this at home, I think our last burger had a brioche bun.

The only thing this advert did was make me wonder if I might make a burger this weekend, burger and a fantastic salad. Maybe sweet potato wedges?

Some one here, was it cfuhrer, made bacon burger recently, that is more inspiring to me. Or a good restaurant burger. Its not that burger is uninspiring.


Edit : And now cake is inspiring!

And anything, anything you make at home well always be better for you than the fast food "equivalent". It's not the burger and fries that are bad (I love sweet potato fries! :)) it's the fillers, sodium content and form, etc etc. As one of the people interviewed on Michael Pollan's Cooked says, you can eat anything you want, live on anything you want, any food at all, simply make it yourself.

Of course, he's talking bake the bread and everything, the thinking being that soon enough you will resort to simpler salads and things, just because "bad" foods are typically hard to make at home.
 
Well, I am pouring through cookery websites right now....its certainly not going to be MY recipe! as I have no basis for one :D

I don't like Cajun food at all, but my brother makes a jambalaya that I will happily eat. It will take a while, but if anyone is interested I will get the recipe and post it :)
 
Ok, I'll get it when I can.
I am also not an okra fan, in addition to Cajun food. Double whammy! I mostly pick it out of the jambalaya. I do like it deep fried, though :D

Missed your rant :( and wondering if I didn't cause it :D
 
:raising hand: Caught the rant :devil:. I'll address the part that mentioned the devilish something or other (can't remember the wording) that will take time to make one cupcake. :D

Quite simply: I'm lazy.

I make one because making an entire batch would take more time and effort than I want to take, and if there's more than one I will eat more than one. Alright! I will eat ALL of them if no one is around to stop me.

And while I would love to make myself sick eating 12 cupcakes or an entire pan of brownies, this is not conducive to the lose 5 lbs goal.

So that leads me to finding low ingredient, low time, low effort desserts that is more than dumping chocolate chips into my mouth.

:cool:

P.S. I also make single serve brownies and chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips are also a yummy indulgence. ;)
 
I had quoted the rant and then decided not to post, now I wish I would have. It was quality rant. :nods:

I'll address the time needed for cooking versus eating out; two words - slow cooker. I think every high-school graduate should get a slow cooker with their diploma, lol.

As to single serve desserts: 3-2-1 cake.
 
Its mainly because it was my second of the day. :). There should be a limit. I think, to the emotional outpouring about things that don't matter to other people. :D


Oh, and in total hypocrisy, I then went and 'made' supper, which involved unwrapping half a dozen seafood sticks. What is homemade about that? :eek:

Well... you're making me hungry. Leftovers for us-- a dish featuring chicken, asparagus, potatoes, lemons. Not my favorite, but we don't want to waste food! I guess.....
 
Yes, it's a practical solution for me. Freezing is not something I'm really fond of. Also, tiny freezer. And I get very unhappy when my kitchen gets over stuffed.

So, here's something really impractical because I had strawberries and felt like it. :p

This will only last a day and can't be frozen. I may drop some off for my friend's teenagers. :) Or maybe I'll hate myself in the morning, we'll see.
 
I'm glad you did!

To anyone who hasn't met lyricalli, she has a voice like the best summer day and evening, full of light and warmth, but also depth and enticement, and reads poetry beautifully.

Lyricalli and gypsytx together narrating something would make anybody's toes curl with delight. That they are also super people makes this beauty more delightful.

Well, that is just one of the loveliest compliments I've ever received. Thank you! :heart:

And more on topic, dinner tonight is very southern U.S.: a pot of simply prepared pinto beans with cornbread. Or it should be, if I'm not out so late that I have to grab something while I'm out. It's all made, just need to heat it up tonight. The cornbread is 'fancy' because I added chopped jalapenos to it. Very cozy food.
 
Oh I know im going to get booed and hissed at but I had Breakfast for dinner tonight. Scrambled eggs, thick cut bacon, hash browns, grilled bagels and a nice fruit salad. made at home not a restaurant. Yumm

No way! No boos for that. That sounds like a quality dinner.
I make crepes for dinner all the time. I treat them like neutral wrappers. Sometimes sweet, sometimes savory. Always delicious.
 
Graham crackers.

We don't have them here and I'm wondering what to replace them with. I read the description on wiki and thought I had a pretty good idea, but then I read the part about modern Graham crackers and it mentioned that nowadays they're often laced with cinnamon etc.

So, when you use a recipe that calls for Graham cracker, do you use the cinnamon type or the "traditional" plain ones? I ask this to make sure if I should add a touch of cinnamon to my cookie crumbs.

Come on CnC, be online, be online, be online...
 
Graham crackers.

We don't have them here and I'm wondering what to replace them with. I read the description on wiki and thought I had a pretty good idea, but then I read the part about modern Graham crackers and it mentioned that nowadays they're often laced with cinnamon etc.

So, when you use a recipe that calls for Graham cracker, do you use the cinnamon type or the "traditional" plain ones? I ask this to make sure if I should add a touch of cinnamon to my cookie crumbs.

Come on CnC, be online, be online, be online...

Unless you just really want cinnamon in your recipe, I say you don't need it. Generally, when something says graham crackers, it just means the plain ones. :)
 
Back
Top