The Official Author's Hangout 2015 April Fool's Day Contest Support Thread

For the life of me I can't even come up with an idea on a story for April Fools day. I just can't find the sexy in it.

I am eagerly awaiting reading the entries to see where you guys went with the theme.

Surprises can be sexy, but a surprise that makes a "fool" out of someone- not so sexy (to me). Given the humiliation angle, the bdsm category should do just fine with this contest. A cuckold story would work pretty well too (loving wives category?)

For the life of me I can't even come up with an idea on a story for April Fools day. I just can't find the sexy in it.

I am eagerly awaiting reading the entries to see where you guys went with the theme.

try a non-erotic angle?

that's where i'm going.

Darn darn darn darn.

I haven't posted anything since last Halloween and nothing I'm working on will work for this contest. And I doubt I could come up with something and write it in time.

Damn you real life!

Darn darn darn darn.

I haven't posted anything since last Halloween and nothing I'm working on will work for this contest. And I doubt I could come up with something and write it in time.

Damn you real life!

I'm crawling along with a couple that might be ready or might not. I'll not talk about them any more. Gassing about unfinished tales is bad luck IMHO, for me, anyway. But yeah, RL intrudes nastily. I could write a chapter today but no, I have to go prepare for an estate sale. Bugger all, as the cousins might say. The honky cowboy, his sister and mother, and the Hopi twin sisters will just have to wait. And I can't even slip Nampeyo into the story. Damn.

Still reviewing my entry, but I should be ready well before this one starts. Have even written an Earth Day one, even though there's no contest for that anymore.

[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

2015 Sexy April Contest

tumblr_n0vnxxDgXv1t86pkpo1_400.jpg

so now who do you think is the april fool?

You can begin submitting your stories starting March 15th
The winners will be announced on or around April 15th

You can discuss this special contest on this thread or on the much more viewed a.i.r. one.

RULES (for the A.I.R. APRIL contest):

- All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately.

- Nor will stories featuring characters, locales, plot lines, etc., that have been previously used by the author be accepted.

- Prizes will be awarded in the following categories (a story can only win one prize in each contest):

1) Best Overall Story
2) Most Views
3) Most Comments
4) Most Votes
5) Highest Score

- A story has to accrue a minimum of 250 votes to be eligible (higher in some categories). The vote, comment, view, favorite, and score numbers that are reported by LITEROTICA will be used subject to final verification by the A.I.R. Computer Center.

- Story must have an April Theme.

- It must be erotic in content.

- Non-Humans are not erotic and NH category stories will not be accepted. Nor will Sci Fi ones be accepted.

- No character may be named Pauletta.

- Don’t just submit some rehashed story you’ve been working on for years. We want something fresh. Be creative!

- A.I.R. reserves the right to disqualify without notice or explanation any story in which any kind of cheating or vote-tampering is suspected.

- Every story that meets the above criteria and is submitted to LITEROTICA during the contest period will be automatically entered into the A.I.R. contest. No special submission form must be filled out. We believe in inclusivity!

- If you have any questions regarding any of the above or anything pertaining to our contests, feel free to contact me by PM or email, or post any questions you have on this thread.

Good Luck!!!

^^^^^ Fake contest, Fake association, Fake rules. The normal bullshit from the king of bullshit.

^^^^^ Fake contest, Fake association, Fake rules. The normal bullshit from the king of bullshit.
Fake rules is right! Non-humans aren't erotic. Hah!
Watch any episode of Enterprise with Jolene Blalock as the Vulcan T'pol. There are many other examples, but that one is enough.
And what the hell is an April theme? Not spring, not surprise or fools day, his contest theme is strictly April. "It was past Easter, and he could finally wear white again. He liked white because it didn't show his discharge as he wanked on himself, watching the church women he could never have, in their long-sleeved dresses with their big hats and color coordinated purse and glove sets."

April in Paris is not April in Canberra is not April in Quito is not April in Riyadh. Is goat-fucking allowed? (Well, if they're IQ-enhanced GM talking goats, maybe.) April in Buenos Aires or Capetown: mid-autumn, falling deciduous leaves, last days on the nude beaches. April in Nome: a few hours of daylight, everything's still frozen solid, and horny polar bears breaking hibernation have come to town. April in Belem: just another sweaty clothing-optional day at the mouth of the Amazon. April in Kabul or Timbuktu: start of the latest kill-the-impious campaign, but it's OK to rape them first. April in Fresno: smog.

You can't have a drag queen singer named April Fools. I've already taken that.

Being that my April Fools' story is already up to 40,000 words with no end it sight, I decided to post it as a chapter story. Not many will sit to read a 60,000 word story even if it is in the incest category.

It's too bad. I was looking forward to participate in the first April Fools' contest.

Good luck to everyone.

With you having such a very long story, SR, I'll be watching how well your story does.

Being that my April Fools' story is already up to 40,000 words with no end it sight, I decided to post it as a chapter story. Not many will sit to read a 60,000 word story even if it is in the incest category.

It's too bad. I was looking forward to participate in the first April Fools' contest.

Good luck to everyone.

With you having such a very long story, SR, I'll be watching how well your story does.

couldn't you rehash the first chapter into a stand-alone piece? then, later, submit the others as a follow-up?

couldn't you rehash the first chapter into a stand-alone piece? then, later, submit the others as a follow-up?

Thanks for your suggestion but with the suspense so tightly woven into the whole story, the first part is as needed as the last part. Breaking the story up into to separate stories would ruin what I have planned at the end.

I don't envy anyone with this contest. This is not an easy story to write with the reader knowing in advance that the theme of the story is April Fools'. It's hard to trick the reader when they already know the ending unless...

Good luck to everyone.

Too bad, SJP. It's surprising how many will consume a whole long story, especially for a contest. I don't have very much name recognition around here at all, but my Valentine's contest entry, in incest, ran over 30,000 words. It had over 600 votes when the contest sweeps ended, 90,000 plus views. Among many criticisms, being to long (at least the story) wasn't mentioned.

Too bad, SJP. It's surprising how many will consume a whole long story, especially for a contest. I don't have very much name recognition around here at all, but my Valentine's contest entry, in incest, ran over 30,000 words. It had over 600 votes when the contest sweeps ended, 90,000 plus views. Among many criticisms, being to long (at least the story) wasn't mentioned.

Interesting. Good to know. Only, now after having broken up the story in chapters, as if reading the story again for the first time, I'm having fun with that.

Interesting. Good to know. Only, now after having broken up the story in chapters, as if reading the story again for the first time, I'm having fun with that.
Last year I was Roz's editor on Purely Sinful, which won the Hallowe'en contest. She wrote it as ten chapters, 60-odd thousand words, 19 LIT pages. I suggested submitting the whole thing for the contest. The rest is history, and proves that novels can win themed contests. The ten chapters in Erotic Horror without a contest as incentive would have drawn, what, a couple thousand views? It's now past 92k views. My point is that you shouldn't underrate your chances. Write it well and they will read it.

Last year I was Roz's editor on Purely Sinful, which won the Hallowe'en contest. She wrote it as ten chapters, 60-odd thousand words, 19 LIT pages. I suggested submitting the whole thing for the contest. The rest is history, and proves that novels can win themed contests. The ten chapters in Erotic Horror without a contest as incentive would have drawn, what, a couple thousand views? It's now past 92k views. My point is that you shouldn't underrate your chances. Write it well and they will read it.

Roz's story is a great example: it was worth reading the whole thing, original characters and plot that progressed and were 3d enough to make me want to continue on. Obviously, others agreed.

My biggest complaint with chapter stories is they clog the lists. Not just top lists, but the new story lists. Sometimes there are two chapter stories each with 4 or more new entries submitted within a couple days. This shoves 6-8 other new stories off the list, and away from readers, to make room for the ad nauseum repeats.

I have tried one chapter story and seeing my own repeats now makes me feel a little dirty (like I'm gaming the system, not the good kind of dirty). I think I'll wrap up chap 6 and 7 and call it done. It's also a little sad watching readership drop off with each subsequent chapter.

I've enjoyed reading many chapter stories here, it's just how they are handled: sometimes they are a contest-worthy story, sometimes not, plus the whole list clogging thing.
I don't think authors are wrong in any way to submit stories that way, it's how the site deals with them that makes them unwieldy and a drag on stand-alone stories getting attention they otherwise would receive.

How well could a story do in a contest that includes the keywords bisexual, GM, lesbian, interracial, transvestite, and cross-dressing in it, is a troll magnet, and has two forum regulars salivating to attack it and me on the forum with or without opportunity? Surely you should know that scenario. :rolleyes:

I didn't write it to win a contest, besides which it will be out in the marketplace earning money anyway--probably more than the contest first-place prize. :)

Still, it's been fun to have Hatecraft attack it on this thread even before it's posted. :D

Last edited:
My biggest complaint with chapter stories is they clog the lists. Not just top lists, but the new story lists. Sometimes there are two chapter stories each with 4 or more new entries submitted within a couple days. This shoves 6-8 other new stories off the list, and away from readers, to make room for the ad nauseum repeats.

Unless Laurel makes a half-asleep mistake, the maximum number of chapters she'll approve to appear for any story per day is 1. Other chapters may be approved, but they'll have dates set to appear 1 per day.

Even the higher traffic categories tend to average a four to five day span on the hub new list. Really, the only categories that seriously suffer from this are Incest and Loving Wives, which tend to have 1-2 day spans on the category lists.

By the time five days have passed, you've wrung most of the action out of the new story lists that you're going to get.

Unless Laurel makes a half-asleep mistake, the maximum number of chapters she'll approve to appear for any story per day is 1. Other chapters may be approved, but they'll have dates set to appear 1 per day.

She must do some sleeping then. I've seen as many as five chapters of a work posted on the same day. It does soak up posting slots, but as long as each meets the length criteria for posting and "first-in-first-served" is being implemented, I don't see where standalone stories are losing privilege. It would make sense for the site to restrict how many entries an account name could have posted in a week, but it doesn't have such a policy.

She must do some sleeping then. I've seen as many as five chapters of a work posted on the same day. It does soak up posting slots, but as long as each meets the length criteria for posting and "first-in-first-served" is being implemented, I don't see where standalone stories are losing privilege. It would make sense for the site to restrict how many entries an account name could have posted in a week, but it doesn't have such a policy.

Never noticed one, but I assume it does happen.

I've seen several times where an author has flooded the queue with 5 to as many as 30 standalone stories in a day, though.

I'm really excited for this contest. I don't have any trick endings, but my stories are more about the deception and surprise aspects.

I hope that in the future, we can have a do-over with the voting and make the upcoming contest "Spring is in the Air" instead of an "April Fool's" contest.

That way, the contest can start a few weeks later and authors can have more time to prepare. Also the gap between spring and summer contests would be shorter.

I'm really excited for this contest. I don't have any trick endings, but my stories are more about the deception and surprise aspects.

I hope that in the future, we can have a do-over with the voting and make the upcoming contest "Spring is in the Air" instead of an "April Fool's" contest.

That way, the contest can start a few weeks later and authors can have more time to prepare. Also the gap between spring and summer contests would be shorter.

BTW HeyAll:
Congrats your very enjoyable Mom at the movies story. It seems to have been far and away the most read thing on the site this whole month. You hit a note with the readers on that one.

Back