Federal Homecoming (closed)

Asa

Writer...Dream...Fantasy
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Posts
36,474
339596_full.jpg

Sgt. Jaxon Lane
Small town cop

The FBI was paying his little town a visit. That didn't mean she was with them. His only contact name for the team arriving was Hot... Holt... Dang Turner's sloppy handwriting. He took out a picture her uncle gave him of her graduation and her new office at the FBI. He kept it in the desk as very few knew he still had feelings for her or at least that's what he wanted to believe.

tumblr_p6dhq3yaOS1voey12o1_500.gif
tumblr_p2fzf7KRJe1voey12o1_500.jpg
tumblr_p2fusiyMFv1voey12o1_500.gif
tumblr_p2ipdvrb9s1voey12o1_500.gif
82fb8-modalinacindysampson_072516_03_4847_v2-1200px-p-bs.jpg

Loren Jamison
Federal agent
Psychological profiler, sniper

She was silent on the flight staring at the file. It surprised her where it seemed this person had chosen to go to ground... Her hometown. Her work was the last thing she ever thought would bring her back here. Yet here she was flying home. To find a killer.

Never seen you take that long to read a file. What's on your mind?

Her boss's voice cut through in it's fatherly tone. Looking up she just smiled slightly.

Guess I never thought work would be bringing me back here.

Ahh yes getting to see where you learned to shoot and people who can can confirm that you were ever a kid.

He sat down with a chuckle.

Yeah... The thing is once we land it should be very easy to figure out who the killer ran to. There is only one element that I can think of that would be able to handle that kind of person. Thing is they don't deal in killers. Money laundering through real estate fraud maybe. Their last primary ties though were LA not NYC.

She was locked on the case there was no doubt about that but she was also avoiding thinking about something or someone of that the entire team was certain.

Money laundering through real estate fraud? That takes some fancy math.

Another team mate walked over and sat down.

Yep... Even a small town can have a mob presence. A couple of slick dealers and a weasal of boss realestate firm shady deals and shade tree arsonists. I will warn you there are still some old timers who think it's still the 30s.

Closing the file she shook her head and stared out the window at the announcement that they would be landing shortly. She walked down from the plane to see the old couple who owned the little airstrip and accepted the expected hugs as the suvs were loaded and everyone was ready to go. Driving to the police station she motioned for some of them to park along the side of the road by the old town square park. It was not lost on her team mates that she had paused and took a deep breath before walking up the stairs to walk into the station she once called work.

Well Loren Jamison it's about time you got back here for a visit. Hows...

The jovial big man paused seeing the others walk in behind her.

Well I guess the FBI is doing alright then here with you. Jaxon the Feds are here!

Hello Lonnie.. yes it's fine. Here on business you know that.

She paused hearing who he called for.

Where is Cheif McColm?

She quickly noticed how silent everyone became before he rounded the corner. Jaxon stood there in time to hear her question.

County general... Him and his wife... Not expected to make it through the night.

Lonnie finally spoke up not that he thought she heard him.
 
Last edited:
Jaxon never stopped having feelings for her. He knew nothing would come from his feelings; after all, she had gone big time. She was with the FBI; working high profile cases, jetting around the country to solve the worst crimes you could imagine. He was still in his hometown; right where he wanted to be. He never had the desire to go big time like Loren did, and that ultimately led to their parting.

He had been promoted to Sergeant, which made him third in command in the small town department. The Chief was his next door neighbor and had been best -friends with his father. The Lieutenant was an older cop that should have retired, but, since there wasn't much to do in the small town, he stayed on to collect the paycheck; most of the time he just "worked from home." That left Jaxon as the one to address most of the issues in town.

Lately, the issues had grown. There was an element that had moved into the town that scared a lot of the people. The Chief had made public statements about how the police were going to crack down and drive the bad element out. Of course, he left it up to Jaxon to develop a plan of how to do it and to execute that plan as well. Jaxon had developed a plan to harass those who were not locals; hoping to make it uncomfortable and get them to move somewhere else.

He was asleep when he heard the explosion. Jaxon jumped out of bed and saw the Chief's house ablaze. He ran down the stairs and across the yard to the Chief's house in only his boxers. Running inside the burning house, he went up the stairs and found the Chief and his wife in their room. Both were badly burned. He dragged the Chief's wife out of the room and carried her down the stairs, laying her on the front lawn before going back inside for the Chief. Once he had him outside, police and fire and EMS were pulling up. Jaxon started to give orders. The first police officer on the scene told Jaxon he should get checked out after going into the burning building.

As the adrenaline rush started to wear off a little, Jaxon realized that he had some burns on his feet, legs, arms and hands. "Yea, I will get checked out later. I am going to the hospital. Call me on my cell with any updates." He went back inside and threw on a pair of khakis and a PD polo shirt and headed to the hospital. He received updates on his phone; one which indicated that the cause of the explosion and fire was gas. Somebody had messed with the gas line going into the Chief's house. He also was told that his house was damaged and he would need a place to stay until it was repaired.

Jaxon got reports from the doctors that told him things didn't look good for the Chief or his wife. He left a patrolman in the ER with instructions to shoot anyone who looked out of place and we will deal with the blowback later. He went to the station and told the clerk to call in all officers. He didn't care where they were or what they were doing. He walked toward the back. He passed the Lieutenant's office and was approaching the Chief's office when he heard some commotion in the lobby. He headed back in that direction.

"Hello Loren."
 
Thank you Lonnie. Please coordinate with agents Gibson and Holt.

She was distracted but she heard everything. Her mind already taking in the new names on the board and the surveillance photos of the outsiders using the local realestate office with some frequency. The local reps for the mob were clearly getting creative and branching out. Something was up but what and what did it have to do with the chief and his wife?

Hello Jaxon.

The team shrink and her boss moved over to her introducing themselves.

I am agent Rosen and this is Dr Grey. In light of this attack on the police seeming to be so close to our tracking a person of interest here I would like to see the crime scene to establish if it is linked or not to our case and also offer our assistance if it is not.
 
"Slow down. You will get jurisdiction here if and when it is determined to be related to whatever it is you are doing here. Until then, I don't want you touching anything that could jeopardize our investigation. I am going to get whoever did this, and I don't want you screwing it up in any way." He stared at Rosen with a look that said he wasn't fucking around.

"Loren, I don't know why you and your friends are here, and frankly, I don't want to know. I only care about one thing right now, and I don't want any of your friends getting in my way. We may be a small town, but we handle ourselves pretty well. So, do them a favor and keep them away from me."

He turned and walked away from them. He motioned to the clerk at the front desk. "Show them out. Give them directions to the nearest hotel, or back to the airport, I don't care. When everyone gets here, tell them we are going to meet in the roll call room. When the Lieutenant gets here, tell him I will meet him in his office."
 
SARGENT LANE!

An Arctic freeze would have been a desert in comparison to her tone and the air around her as even some of her team did a very obvious double take.

Your office... NOW!

With that she began walking. Some of the team started to follow her with some concern till Rosen held a hand up and Lonnie spoke up.

Pay the Sargent no mind folks we already know our job is to work with you on this serial killer case it got sent to us before the... Incident with HER GODFATHER!

A clear case of the old man trying to remind Jaxon of her connection to the local case.
 
Jaxon didn't move. Despite his feelings for her, and despite her connection to the Chief, this was more personal to him than to anyone, including Loren. The Chief was like family to him and he wasn't listening to anyone, including the woman who he still loved.

"If any of you listen to a word these people say, you will all be looking for new employment. I gave you all an order, and I expect it will be followed, including you," he stared at the clerk. Then he turned to the FBI team leader, "You are not welcome here and you have no authority here."

He looked toward Loren. "You gave up your ability to tell me what to do when you went big time. If you want to talk about this case it will be on my terms, and my terms only. If that doesn't work for you, fine. I can accept that, just like I accepted you leaving town."
 
She had full jurisdiction to arrest him for obstruction of a federal investigation and to make him think with more than his ego and hurt pride she would do it. Agent Rosen silently repeated don't do it don't do it as if hoping for some telepathic link would form and stop her.

You want to play that card Sargent... Fine. You are under arrest for obstruction of a federal investigation.

Her eyes betrayed nothing to any but the most observant of agents like the Dr and her boss as she walked over taking cuffs from the shift officers desk and arresting Jaxon. Silently she spoke just to him

Maybe 24 hours will get you over that ego and prevent our serial killer from killing anyone here in Sparta. You are the last person I would have expected to force my hand Jaxon.
 
"You are going to be sorry for this AGENT," he said to her. "You are going to be very, very sorry. Enjoy your little power play, and enjoy showing off for Dudley Do Right over there," motioning to her team leader. "I'll be out in the morning and the federal judge that releases me will also be the one that I file the wrongful imprisonment lawsuit with."

He held out his arms so that she could cuff him and gave her an evil smile. "In the mean time, when you mess with the evidence at the house, and your Godfather's killers end up walking because you didn't have the authority to be there, I will be around to clean up the mess that you created."

Jaxon stared into her eyes. From the look he was giving her, you would never know that he ever cared about her even a little. Then, he turned his attention to the team leader. "I hope you are close to retirement age. This will kill your career jackass."
 
Once they were alone in the Holding area she just stared at him.

Seriously Jaxon... I know you got the report of why we were coming here. The Mayor hand delivered it to you and Bill at my request. Even he told us that our hometown realestate crew had alot of out of towners running around lately. You are next in line He told me he was grooming you to take over when he retired. There are those in this town never liked him marrying her. All the racial bs. We can help... I can help. So what in the hell is your problem? And by the way I'm not entirely threat of the state federal judge he has to sign off on our arrival about the serial killer and this attack happening the day before we arrive is too coincidental it falls under questions of our case.

She just shook her head and closed the cell door.

I remember a time when you were backing my godfather and encouraging me to take the step up to the Feds after Rosen and his late partner came down here trying to recruit me after that State wide case.

She turned to walk back to the door unsure his ego would let him stop her.
 
"You have changed more than I thought you did. I never realized how power hungry you were. I knew you wanted to go big time, but I didn't realize you craved power so much. I am not in a hurry to be in charge. I just like being a cop"

He sat in the cell and watched her head out of the cell. He wasn't going to stop her. That would seem like he was desperate. He would let her have her 15 minutes of fame.

Sitting back against the wall wall, he started to run through things in his mind. He tried to think about whether he noticed anyone around their houses or the neighborhood that seemed out of place. He thought about what steps he needed to take once he got out of his own jail cell. He wondered about Loren's power play.
 
Walking out she looked to Lonnie.

You are in charge of your people while we are here I will get my people set up at my old family home. Briefing in 30 with the whole crew. You know what to do with Jaxon... Get through to him... Please. Lets go.

She had them set up at her old family house in moments leaving her team there she went to the hospital alone.

Staring at the chief and his wife laying there she sat down between them and sighed.

I told you he would not be able to handle what I would have to do if I ever came back home in a federal capacity Bill. Not in the station 10 minutes and had to arrest him for obstruction of a federal investigation. I just hope your old trick with people of 24 hour ego hold will work with him. I will... We will help him and the rest of the force find out who did this and Good help them.if it is tied into our case.

She looked up to see the old Dr walk in.

They can hear people and sometimes he seems to be able to respond some. If they were any younger I would hold out hope of them making it but...

She just nodded and handed him her card.

Keep me posted.

I can show you something interesting right now. There was a strange tinge to the smoke smell about them so I had the lab take a sample of where the fire cheif said the fire started and found something that had no business what so ever in any fire especially one set intentionally. Lonnie should be getting a copy right about now as well I had the lab fax them a copy.

Handing her his findings before offering a hug.

I just wish you were home on better circumstances.

She sat back down and read the report before heading to the scene. For a look around. Her curse had always been seeing everything whether she wanted to or not. It made her a good cop and a damn good agent but it also along with her profiling ability left her alone and perhaps she was better off for it especially with how much it turned those she cared about like Jaxon against her.
 
Lonnie walked back to the cell and looked at Jaxon. Jaxon did not look toward Lonnie. "You are dead to me Lonnie. You supporting her... them. I thought I could trust you, but I was wrong."

"Stop Jaxon. Listen to yourself. You want to get into a pissing contest with the feds. The most important thing is finding out who did this; not who finds out who did it. Plus, you are all screwed up with Loren being here."

"Lonnie, they have no idea what they are doing here. They use the same tactics whether it is here or in a big city. They don't have any idea how to deal with the people in a small town. They brought Loren along because it is her hometown... was her hometown. She things she is all fucking that. It isn't going to work. They will screw it up. Now go away. You have your orders from the feds. Enjoy the job while you still have one"
 
The older man just stared at him.

They brought her because Bill told them to. Bill knows Rosen they served together in the army with her daddy. And you are a stubborn blind fool boy if you think no one in that room upstairs don't know exactly what this is about. You forget we all know you know your history with her and I know how hard it was for her to do that. If anyone is going to be overly careful with this case it's her and you damn well know it.

Oh and we both know you ain't gonna fire a damn one of us for doing our job and she ain't gonna keep you in here she is pulling one of Bills tricks and you know it.
 
"Go ahead and take her side Lonnie. I don't give a fuck. The only thing I care about is finding out who did that to Bill. Everybody else in this town can go around and kiss the little princess' ass, and welcome her home, but each and everyone of you know that I am the best one to find out who did this. We don't need FBI tactics. We need MY tactics. Now get lost. I know what she is doing and it isn't going to work. She thinks this is going to cool me off.. all it did is piss me off more."

He turned his back to Lonnie. It was probably a good thing he was here, because if he was on the streets, the real estate office would probably be up in flames and he would be beating on everyone associated with that office. He laid down and stared at the ceiling. He must have dozed off because his mind took him back to a different time... a time where Loren was in his life.
 
She finished her look around and collected a little evidence bagged it up and took it to Lonnie before she started across the park to the realestate office. Rosen knew her well and was at the halfway point in the park by the war memorial that held names he had not heard in a long time. 1/3 of his unit had been from here from the army.

Loren... Now is not the time. You can't do any good going into that office as a Fed or local or angry goddaughter.

She stopped tensing as she stared at him.

Rosen... I have been the good detective... The good agent... But right now... Why in the hell did you have our team be the one to come here?

Because the serial killer is our case... Do I think he ran to ground with those gentlemen over there.. yes but we need proof... To get that proof we need someone most locals will trust and feel comfortable with. I know you and the Sargent have a history so I am going to offer my services to him to understand you better sort of an ally to help deal with the hardass former local and you are going to stay away from that office... For now. Grace has a credit card trail now even here for a Mason's Dixie line bar? Why don't you go check it out. I believe the owner bartender was also a friend of yours. Maybe knowing you are around him might help get through to your Sgt friend for me.
 
Lonnie opened the jail cell door. "You are free to go Jaxon. The guy Rosen overruled Loren and said you are good to go."

Jaxon looked at Lonnie, but didn't move. "I don't answer to him Lonnie. You might, but I don't." He stayed where he was until Lonnie went away. He weighed his options. Sitting in the jail cell was not going to help catch who did this to the chief.

As Jaxon walked toward the front exit of the building, Lonnie handed him a card. It was Rosen's business card and on th eback was written "Mason's Dixie Bar."

He didn't know what it meant, but Jaxon decided to check it out.
 
Rosen was standing by the squad car that was obviously Jaxon's.

A lead I thought you should help us handle on the serial killer case and someone who is more like Billy than his Goddaughter could ever be.

Bill only ever let war buddies call him Billy and since it sounded like it was a more natural name for Rosen to say than Bill it should help keep things relaxed.

Plus this will help me not go do something stupid like grill the old boys in the realestate office. Billy told me long ago they are locals and you all learned yrs ago when Cold blood was a detective here that they were connected to the LA area mob?

______

She walked in to the bar to a few catcalls and whistles and went right over to the bar.

Greg it's been a while.

The bartender looked up and was quickly drawn from his moment of being stunned by the sound of shattered glass from the glass be dropped.

Loren? What are you doing back beautiful? That's a badge on your hip isn't it... It ain't local... You here on official business or you just miss me gorgeous?

Business first. You had an out of towner in here recently. Sounded like he was from up North maybe... Paid with a Visa?

Her expression relaxed business.

You know... I did he sat here at the bar yesterday just as surly as you please said he wondered if anything ever shook up a sleepy little pitstop like this and then... Delbert...Mullens started talking with him about some of the more colorful and all going on.
 
Last edited:
Jaxon glared at Rosen when he saw him standing by his patrol car. He didn't want to talk to this guy. He was tired of all of the fed drama. He just wanted to get to work. He heard Rosen call the Chief Billy. Nobody did that unless they really knew him. It made Jaxon at least pay a little attention to Rosen.

"I am inclined to burn the fucking place down and then shoot everybody that shows up asking what happened to the building. Of course, that might not get to the answer, but it would get me just a little bit of satisfaction right now. The Chief is like a father to me, and if he dies, others are going to die."

Jaxon got into his patrol car. He looked out the window at Rosen. " I won't burn it down until you have a chance to talk to the people over there." He put the car in drive and headed over to the bar. He walked in and saw Loren in there talking with Greg. Greg was the one person that had been happy to see Loren leave town. That was because he was jealous that she had been with Jaxon.
 
Delbert Mullens... From what Harriet told me he has been the loudest mouth about how unholy evil it was for she and the chief to get married.

Greg nodded that boy has been nothing but trouble and damn near worse than his daddy about this whole race stuff.

Another old timers looked over with a laugh.

Greg there wasn't nobody worse than Jacob Mullens when it came to being a murderous racist. I will agree that youngest of his comes damn close though.

Loren looked to the old man to see the former county sheriff sitting there smiling at her.

You old war horse I thought you gave up drinking?

Yep... Gave up over drinking. Now I just drink here where the service is so slow I sober up between drinks.

He laughs as does Greg knowing he doesn't mean anything by it. Loren turns around to go buying the old sheriff a drink and turns face to face with Jaxon.

Jaxon... With that she moved to walk past him out of the bar with a growled Rosen.
 
"It is nice to see you again, as well Super Agent. Or is it Secret Agent? Maybe Special Agent?" He watched her walk past him and then turned and looked at Rosen. "Great plan. I see you can't control her."

"Hey Sheriff. How are things? You look as good today as when you were on the job. It is great to see you." He smiled at the old man and turned and looked at the bartender. He didn't dislike Greg, but he didn't like him either. He just nodded at him and turned and walked after Loren.

"Not my idea. This was your boss' idea. I see he has as much control over you as anyone else does, and by that I mean none. That is fine Loren. DO it yourself. Do it without anyone else's help. Continue to be the lonewolf."
 
Oh like I have your help and aid in this? Bullshit Jaxon you made that clear at the station so work with Rosen and the others or bullhead your way through "your case" while I do my job and protect my hometown from a serial killer. Just don't underestimate Rosen he has been doing this for alot longer than any of us and never does anything without knowing what will happen. Right Derrick. After all you are one of the founding members of our department aren't you.

She glared at Rosen as she stood there.

Friendly info I got that even remotely connects our two cases Dilbert Mullens talked with our target.
 
"You get that from Greg? I wouldn't trust that information for one second. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he fed you information to send you on a wild goose chase. Working in this dump doesn't pay for the fancy car he is driving recently; nor does it pay for the new house he just bought." He stared at Loren. "Yes, even we hillbilly cops here in this bumblefuck town know how to do some investigating. Although, I am sure it is nothing like you big time feds can do."

Jaxon turned and walked away. He headed to his patrol car. He never imagined that Loren's return to town would be so contentious. He thought that if and when he saw her, that they would at least get along well and spend a little time together catching up on where their lives had taken them. Wow, was he wrong.

Sitting in his patrol car, he picked up the mic. "Car 3 to radio. I will be enroute to the hospital. Have Car 2 meet me there." Jaxon at least had to keep the Lieutenant up on what was going on with the feds in case he got a call about any of what had been happening.
 
Billy said he pushed you to go federal. That doesn't sound like someone who wanted you to succeed or even leave to go federal Loren whats up? Or is it really that buried under male stereotypical ego.

Rosen shook his head.

That is exactly what it is. I did what I needed to do and that bruised his ego that I didn't get scared stay here and need him over anything and everything else. You want to deal with him go for it but the most racist family in town talks to our serial killer and that night the chief and his wife end up attacked. I have a job to do and I don't have time for his bruised ego.

With that she walked off back to her car only to find Dr. Grey in the passenger seat.

Not a word Doc. Not one word.
 
Jaxon headed to the hospital to check on the Chief and his wife. The news was not encouraging for either of them. There was talk of airlifting them to the Medical Center in the city that had a well known burn center, but the concern was whether they were strong enough to handle it.

When the Lieutenant arrived, Jaxon began to fill him in on what was going on. Jaxon was shocked by the Lieutenant's response. "Give them everything they want. It is their case. Stay out of their way. That is an order."

Before he could object, the Lieutenant was gone. Jaxon couldn't believe it. Who got to him? Who had put pressure on him? Jaxon knew it wouldn't take much to get the old guy to cave, but who was it that got him to cave?
 
The Dr looked over to Jaxon

He was here earlier and McColm woke for a little. He told him she was here with his old friend Rosen. He told him to let her help him any way she can. He called her his baby girl. He hasn't called her that in yrs. Wish he had been awake when she came by. She looked so fragile seeing them then that determination locked into place and one of their people found a paper trail here from their case.
 
Back
Top