Seduction Music ?

Handley_Page

Draco interdum Vincit
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
78,170
OK guys.
What music would you select in a seduction?

And, Ladies,
What music might persuade you to cooperate ?


I offer what is rated as being the best to be found (in Opera):

"Your tiny hand is frozen", also known as "Che gelida manina "
It's from La Boheme, and Rudolpho chats up Mimi with this famous song, surrounded by starvation and in a very draghty garret.
 
I think this used to be an actual Thing; but for almost all of my lifetime, music's become so sexualized that something a previous generation might only have chosen to get a woman in the mood, is now mainstay pop.

That said, I'd choose soft and melodic for the calming effect, then something with erotic lyrics to set an expectation, then something instrumental with a steady, soft, repetitive musical hook to emphasise the idea of "again, and again, and again, until you yield." I don't want a lot of lyric; I prefer the focus to be on me. It would all be soft enough to nearly count as subliminal.

My taste in music is too unusual to be of much help in a story, if that's where you're going. As an example, what occurred to me for 3 melodies for the above:

Rolf Lislevand's "Fantasia que contrahaze la harps en la manera de Ludovico"

Seal's "Kiss from a rose" (there's got to be a better choice for this, but this is what occurred to me now)
or maybe Sarah Mclachlan's derivative but darkly fascinating "Possession"

Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Abaddon's Bolero"

Someone try it and let me know how it goes. :)


"Into this sea of waking dreams I follow without pride; for nothing stands between us here, and I won't be denied...."
 
I've known guys to claim Barry White works. As for me I'm not very musical, some I like some I don't, but when I was single and "on the hunt" I depended on conversation and personality. Music was a distraction.
 
If this is research for a story, I would advice against being explicit about what music is playing down to level of the exact song. It tend to sound forced IMHO.
 
If this is research for a story, I would advice against being explicit about what music is playing down to level of the exact song. It tend to sound forced IMHO.

And it dates a story hideously. In ten years readers will be all "That old crap?"

You can pull it off if it's classical, but not many readers will resonate.
 
If this is research for a story, I would advice against being explicit about what music is playing down to level of the exact song. It tend to sound forced IMHO.

And it dates a story hideously. In ten years readers will be all "That old crap?"

You can pull it off if it's classical, but not many readers will resonate.

How does it date it ?
It ain't for research.
But back in the day, it worked for me . . .
 
Last edited:
I know it's all so cliche but how could you not list Ravel's music, Bolero, from the movie 10 with Dudley Moore and Bo Derek?

That scene was deliriously intoxicating.

"Wow!"
 
I know it's all so cliche but how could you not list Ravel's music, Bolero, from the movie 10 with Dudley Moore and Bo Derek?

That scene was deliriously intoxicating.

"Wow!"

Oh she was/is a 10 without a doubt (see HERE). But personally, I just do not like Ravel.
 
Back in the day, you couldn't beat "Best of Bread" (the soft side of the LP, not the rockin' side) to melt the panties off your date.
 
Back
Top