Isolated Blurt Thread Again

*ahem* A little birdy tells me that "someone" has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space. :rolleyes:

I think I have been more social this week on vacation than I was the whole year before I moved away.

Heading back down to Florida tonight. Hopefully there won't be a 5 hour delay for this flight like there was last week...

Stinky? Not anymore.

Yesterday I stopped at a motorway service station and used the toilets. The advertisements were for:

Flatulence-filtering clothing and underwear - to take the stink out of farts.

That's a new product I've never heard of. Anyone used them?

At no time was I told that I needed to pay my first month rent ahead of time and wait for the check to clear before I could move in. Almost no other business works like this. It's bullshit and I'm tired of being jerked around with half or unimportant information being parsed out to me late or not at all. I would be in there already if everyone would give me the information I need when I need it and cut out all the extra shit that's getting in my way.

I'm sick of delays. Hell, I'm being delayed by a sick day, and I am really growing tired of waiting to get into this apartment.

Finally allowed into my apartment. Moving all the big stuff today. Anything we don't get with the big stuff gets done through the week as I clean up areas that are available (maybe).

Finally allowed into my apartment. Moving all the big stuff today. Anything we don't get with the big stuff gets done through the week as I clean up areas that are available (maybe).

Congrats on the new place.

Okay, I missed this post, and as I'm probably not the only one not visiting the GB, I assume others might have missed it as well. As Hyposia is/was a regular visitor of the AH, I thought AH-followers might also be interested in Hypoxia's current status.
Not sure what else to add. Keep the stories coming, or something like that...

'Ere, 'Ere.
Or "Thoughts & Prayers", etc..

Mostly in the new place. Need to make one more trip for some bowls, glasses, paper products, and a couple of lamps.

And then I need to throw out all of the garbage still there...

I think I'll have lunch first :D

Today I achieved one of my lesser life goals. Over the last couple of months, I've been taking classes. Last week, I stood in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles and got my license. Today, I bought my first motorcycle - only a couple of decades later than expected.

If I should suddenly disappear from the AH never to be seen again, please assume my death was as spectacular as it was pointless.

Today I achieved one of my lesser life goals. Over the last couple of months, I've been taking classes. Last week, I stood in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles and got my license. Today, I bought my first motorcycle - only a couple of decades later than expected.

If I should suddenly disappear from the AH never to be seen again, please assume my death was as spectacular as it was pointless.

My first few motorcycles were underpowered British rubbish. This was my first:

9163011.jpg

It is an Ariel Colt 200 cc, a reduced capacity BSA. The one I bought looked good but its engine was worn out. I had to get off and walk beside it going up any steep hills. Flat out maximum was 45 mph instead of the 62 claimed by the manufacturers.

My last serious bike was a WW2 BSA M20, bought from a dealer who had acquired hundreds of them at an auction in the 1960s. It had covered 300 miles from new in 1944. I kept it for 50,000 miles. It is now owned by a cousin who has reached 250,000 miles but hasn't yet fitted the unused spare engine I bought too.

[Large image of BSA M20 removed]

It has girder front forks, NO rear suspension, just the springs on the saddle, and the frame flexes on corners. It would do 45 mph all day long but could get very hot. Riding it frightened my friends who had modern motorcycles.

But neither were likely to go fast enough to kill you.

Last edited:
My first few motorcycles were underpowered British rubbish. This was my first:

It is an Ariel Colt 200 cc, a reduced capacity BSA. The one I bought looked good but its engine was worn out. I had to get off and walk beside it going up any steep hills. Flat out maximum was 45 mph instead of the 62 claimed by the manufacturers.

My last serious bike was a WW2 BSA M20, bought from a dealer who had acquired hundreds of them at an auction in the 1960s. It had covered 300 miles from new in 1944. I kept it for 50,000 miles. It is now owned by a cousin who has reached 250,000 miles but hasn't yet fitted the unused spare engine I bought too.

It has girder front forks, NO rear suspension, just the springs on the saddle, and the frame flexes on corners. It would do 45 mph all day long but could get very hot. Riding it frightened my friends who had modern motorcycles.

But neither were likely to go fast enough to kill you.

Wow. Those are beauties, Ogg. Real character in those bikes. My starter is a pretty generic Honda. No real soul, but it was in my price range from a used bike shop. If I survive this bike, perhaps I'll come across something nicer someday.

Wow. Those are beauties, Ogg. Real character in those bikes. My starter is a pretty generic Honda. No real soul, but it was in my price range from a used bike shop. If I survive this bike, perhaps I'll come across something nicer someday.

If it is a Honda, it will start, go, stop and keep doing it.

When I had the Ariel Colt I had to carry spare spark plugs, a plug spanner, plug cleaner, a spare contact breaker and a set of spanners.

The BSA M20 was more robust. Many of them survived being blown up by German mines. The rider might have been injured but the BSA would start and carry on. But - you had to know how. It had an exhaust-valve lifter, an air control lever and a manual advance/retard lever. Set them wrongly and the kickstarter could throw you over the handlebars, as it did to some drunk who tried to steal mine in the 1960s.

I had set the levers to backfire. It did. A flame shot out of the open-throated carburettor, setting fire to his jeans, and the kickstarter tossed him into the road. He hobbled off beating out the flames on his legs.

I had set the levers to backfire. It did. A flame shot out of the open-throated carburettor, setting fire to his jeans, and the kickstarter tossed him into the road. He hobbled off beating out the flames on his legs.

LOL! :D You have lived a life, Ogg. I wish I had stories like that. Well, I've got a few years left.

Ogg,
Your M20 was later replaced in Service by a BSA B31, I believe.
It had a strange 'jam-pot' rear suspension and a magneto as well as a dynamo.
Sadly, it ended its life (and nearly mine !) on the side of a Leicester City Transport bus.

Time, I think for more Tea

There are advantages to being ancient and using price comparison sites.

I've just renewed the insurance on my more modern Volvo estate at a total cost of £186, £70 less than the automatic renewal from last year's cheapest reputable insurer. (Rough equivalent $242, $91 less)

Ogg,; PLEASE can you reduce the size of your illustrations (interesting though they are).
My screen ain't wide enough to handle anything thereafter !

I'm trying to re-fit my old Flight Sim 2004 (v 9), because I cannot get my head round the "Steam" thing.

I desperately need a coffee.

Ogg,; PLEASE can you reduce the size of your illustrations (interesting though they are).
My screen ain't wide enough to handle anything thereafter !

I'm trying to re-fit my old Flight Sim 2004 (v 9), because I cannot get my head round the "Steam" thing.

I desperately need a coffee.

Big image of BSA M20 removed for HP...

Back