Munch Groups

BlueSugar

Faceted Sensualist
Munch Groups, historically, are groups of like minded people aka BDSMers. They would meet over a meal or at a bar to get to know one another and chat.

Fast forward to today.

How is the munch group on your area?
What do you wish was different?
What works? What doesn't?
What are main problems you've seen?
What about the people - how do you feel about people who attend munch groups?

I've revived one when I was in college - I had a blast in VT.

Now in my hometown, the Munch over the last few years seems like it has suffered. I'm trying to make changes, but I'm being met with stubbornness at every turn. Being so close to NYC, I understand most of why.
But oi! I'm reaching out for help here.

Years ago, I used to attend BDSM munches in Manhattan, which were held at the Moonstruck diner in Chelsea. In general, it was a friendly crowd, and a safe, public place to meet like-minded "perverts". I used to go once every couple of months, on average. A number of the "regulars" were also members of The Eulenspeigel Society, which is a BDSM education and advocacy group, which still exists today (TES.org)

I'm thinking about attending a munch next month. I've never been to this particular one. I'd like to give it a go and meet more likeminded people. From there I am interested in becoming more active in the scene.

I'm thinking of attending the local one, but am unsure of the reception a single guy will receive. In the past I believe it was encouraged to bring someone, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

Any advice?

Munches tend to be friendly, dress as normal, low key, public things. A male alone should not be an issue. I went to several alone as a female. Never was pressured and felt like I'd found "my" people a bit.

I haven't been in a decade or two. My adult daugther is going now. Freaky!

LOL

:rose:

Munch Groups, historically, are groups of like minded people aka BDSMers. They would meet over a meal or at a bar to get to know one another and chat.

Fast forward to today.

How is the munch group on your area?
What do you wish was different?
What works? What doesn't?
What are main problems you've seen?
What about the people - how do you feel about people who attend munch groups?

I've revived one when I was in college - I had a blast in VT.

Now in my hometown, the Munch over the last few years seems like it has suffered. I'm trying to make changes, but I'm being met with stubbornness at every turn. Being so close to NYC, I understand most of why.
But oi! I'm reaching out for help here.

I live in Chicago, and it is full of kinksters having munches all over the place. We have almost as many munches as Jay Cutler throws interceptions! (Zing!)

I have been to three different munches in our fair Second City, two of them quite regularly. Really the only thing I wish was different would be more convenient locations for me to get to. What works is when people are friendly and chatty. The main problems are when people are rude and disrespectful. I feel positively about people who attend munches because I am one of those people. I have made some really good friends by going to munches and I think they serve a very good purpose (the munches, not my friends).

I'm thinking of attending the local one, but am unsure of the reception a single guy will receive. In the past I believe it was encouraged to bring someone, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

Any advice?

My advice would be to email the munch organizers and let them know you are coming and it's your first time. They will be sure to greet you there and introduce you to some folks. Other than that, just be polite and respectful and have a good time.

Back