What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so you supported the first stimulus, but not the second?

Wow, aren't you a partisan hack.

Do you have ANY evidence that I supported the first stimulus???

NO!

Because I railed against it as well as the checks Bush wrote, no child left behind, part D, and all of his other attempts to gain some traction with Democrat "groups" instead of focusing on the endangered minority of one.

Now piss off.
 
Still trying to tie the current administration to "those godless commies" I see. :rolleyes:

This tactic of the "right" was explained very well in an article I read recently..

The right’s need for enemies is coded in its political DNA. Without enemies to defeat, vanquish and even destroy, the right would suffer an existential crisis. For Goldwater it was the Communist menace; for Wallace, integrationists and intellectuals; for Nixon, liberals, antiwar activists and black radicals; for Reagan, labor, welfare queens and the Evil Empire; for Gingrich and his cohorts it was gays, feminists, welfare mothers and the Democrats; during the Bush years, it was Islam, immigrants, gays and abortionists; For the Tea Party, Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin, it’s all of the above.

Every generation, we see a new invented or created enemy for the right wing to rally their flock against...
 
But everyone knows that the best way to stimulate an economy is to have your window broken!

Ask U_D...

You've been banging that "broken window fallacy" parable of Bastiat's for quite some time now. Ignoring of course that it's focused only on microeconomics and trying to apply the rather limited application universally.

Even intentional destruction of real value may not result in a net loss. For example, destruction during wars has more often than not led to forced modernization and innovation of technologies resulting in an overall increase in productivity.

Also, Bastiat's parable relied on the implication that the little boy who broke the shopkeeps window had been hired to do so by the glazier in order to increase his business and that the new windows held no increase in value over the old.

In your effort to force the Broken Window parable to fit your narrative you have ignored the fact that there is no "little boy" hired to destroy our infrastructure, that it must be constantly maintained due to the wear and tear of use and natural erosion by natural forces.

Infrastructure repairs are essential and have been ignored for far too long. Our roads and bridges must be maintained and expanded to support the population, many of whom could not go to work and support the economy without the results of these "socialist" projects.
 
You've been banging that "broken window fallacy" parable of Bastiat's for quite some time now. Ignoring of course that it's focused only on microeconomics and trying to apply the rather limited application universally.

Even intentional destruction of real value may not result in a net loss. For example, destruction during wars has more often than not led to forced modernization and innovation of technologies resulting in an overall increase in productivity.

Also, Bastiat's parable relied on the implication that the little boy who broke the shopkeeps window had been hired to do so by the glazier in order to increase his business and that the new windows held no increase in value over the old.

In your effort to force the Broken Window parable to fit your narrative you have ignored the fact that there is no "little boy" hired to destroy our infrastructure, that it must be constantly maintained due to the wear and tear of use and natural erosion by natural forces.

Infrastructure repairs are essential and have been ignored for far too long. Our roads and bridges must be maintained and expanded to support the population, many of whom could not go to work and support the economy without the results of these "socialist" projects.

Without working "socialist" highways, business falters. Without working "socialist" rail, business falters.

Additionally; right wingers try to state that WW2 jump started the economy after the great depression, NOT the new deal, so if that's the case, it's a perfect example of right wingers using the broken window theory themselves...
 
Without working "socialist" highways, business falters. Without working "socialist" rail, business falters.

Additionally; right wingers try to state that WW2 jump started the economy after the great depression, NOT the new deal, so if that's the case, it's a perfect example of right wingers using the broken window theory themselves...

:eek: you are one sick puppy....lost in delusion....

obama will keep on spending, and that is good for you...after all you are not paying a dime for anything, right?
 
Someone should have noticed we already had the highway stimulus and all it did was buy expensive signs.
 
Not really. They are non-interest bearing, and they do not meet the legal definition of a note in that they no longer say how they are to be redeemed and they are no longer a promise to pay in "lawful money" as required by law. See USC 12 Section 411:

Federal reserve notes, to be issued at the discretion of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for the purpose of making advances to Federal reserve banks through the Federal reserve agents as hereinafter set forth and for no other purpose, are authorized. The said notes shall be obligations of the United States and shall be receivable by all national and member banks and Federal reserve banks and for all taxes, customs, and other public dues. They shall be redeemed in lawful money on demand at the Treasury Department of the United States, in the city of Washington, District of Columbia, or at any Federal Reserve bank.

There's a reason for the term "lawful money," it's in the Constitution Article I Section 10, "make anything but gold or silver coin a tender in the payment of debts."

Fact is a Federal Reserve Note is not lawful money as it is defined in the Constitution.

I thought you were guiding the lily a bit with this one. Article I, Section 10 begins with the words, "No State shall..."

You goldniks seem to think that gold has any more intrinsic value than paper does. Such is not true.

AND - what the hell would we do with $13 trillion in physical gold?

AND - what happens to our economy when Russia decides to drop a ton of the stuff on the market?

Money is worth what people think it's worth. It doesn't matter if that money is denoted by paper, metal, sea shells or baubles. It's all the same.
 
sept. 7th 2010


http://finance.yahoo.com/

10% unemployment in the near future? don't sound so good. what about those who fell off the roles? underemployed? or now on welfare, if they have kids. or couch surfing while on food stamps and no unemployment or welfare except food stamps?
 
Without working "socialist" highways, business falters. Without working "socialist" rail, business falters.

Additionally; right wingers try to state that WW2 jump started the economy after the great depression, NOT the new deal, so if that's the case, it's a perfect example of right wingers using the broken window theory themselves...

Socialist rail systems like Burlington Northern?
 
Just pointing out the facts Johnny, and money is not all the same. Please, don't marginalize me as a "goldnik" just because I pointed out the law. I already addressed that part of the Constitution you just quoted in an earlier post in this thread. BTW, the rising price of gold tells you more about the worth of the dollar than it does the availability of gold.

If we repealed the legal tender laws in America, what do you think the market would settle on as a means of exchange if it were free to do so?

How do you feel about Article I, Section 8: "The Congress shall have the power... To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof..."?

Apologies if you already addressed it. The thread is too long to go back over.
 
You're not suggesting that the rights of way were not taken via eminent domain, are you?

I don't recall saying anything about that.
But I'll go on record as saying the U.S. Government Railroad Company did not complete the first transcontinental railroad, or the second.
 
Or, in the context of the railroad motif, he's backtracking. :D

One might say he's "off track"

wk910101.jpg
 
Here above is how the conversation developed. As I said the Congress imposed a more stringent standard on the states than on themselves, but then came up with the Coinage Act of 1792 and slapped the death penalty on anyone guilty of debasing the coinage.:)

Wonder how that would be received in Washington today?

I don't youtube (no speakers (I want my computer to be like my women, do what I tell it and don't talk back)) so I can't click on the links.

Not really an issue for me though. I like the monetary system we have now and wouldn't change a thing. Of course, in a generation physical money will be gone and we will use biometrics to credit or debit our accounts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top