The Official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' Contest 2017 Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[This is the contest support thread. It is not the place to question the administration of contests, and slights directed at participants and winners will not be tolerated. - AH Mod]

Then management should do something about it

[This is the contest support thread. It is not the place to question the administration of contests, and slights directed at participants and winners will not be tolerated. - AH Mod]

25 is the minimum and it's been that way forever. We could complain about all sorts of things like the one star bombing that went on this go round. All the winning stories got targeted, and a few more besides. It's pretty obvious. I'm really bugged about that coz I was at 4.98 with 50 votes at the end of Sammi Woo's first day. And guess what, next morning it was 4.69 on half a dozen more votes one after the other. Climbed back to 4.78 next day, bombed down again. Every day. I wasn't the only one it happened to. Two of the winning stories were trolled just as badly and I'll be blunt and say it was fairly obvious what was going on anyhow and which stories were not being targeted at the top.

Now if the competitions are to mean anything something that blatant and obvious really needs to have something done about it day by day. Kindofhere's views were hit by his poor rating, my story was tanked at the end of day one, others were hit equally badly and the sweep at the end was, sorry to say it, a farce based on what went on with the targeted bombing. The 25 vote cutoff is, imho, small cheese - you still have to get a good score to win. I don't think, personally, that 25 is a big deal. It's the cheating with the votes that annoys me. That and a few trolls went and downvoted all my stories across the board. Not just my competition entry.

Makes me agree with some others that really, the competitions aren't worth entering coz the attention you get can be very negative. For me, that's starting to outweigh the positives. I have to say, overall, this competition was a fairly negative experience for me.

And I really thought about posting this, coz I don't like being negative about these things. I'd rather be all yaaay go girl go, but I'm seeing the validity of many of those criticisms of LIT management after this one.

And lest anybody misjudge what I'm saying I'm not questioning the winner, those were all well deserved wins. What I'm bitching about is the controlling of the blatant one star bombing that went on. I lost my cool over that and okay, I probably blew myself out of the water but the one stars stopped, which is more than lit management managed. Go figure.

Hey am I starting to sound like Noir yet?

On the other hand, Sammi Woo ended up in the Group Sex Hall of Fame and promptly got two one star votes. You gotta laugh about it at the end of the day. So it wasn't all down for me. Just in case I sounded all bitchy and negative. Woooo woooo.

But alas that hall of Fame lasted less than half a day. The one stars knocked me out. So let's just say I'd probably have been better of not entering at all. Go figure.

Last edited:

Where is the place to question the administration of contests?

Added: I don't intend to add a complaint, but for people who want to complain, where should they go?

Last edited:
Where is the place to question the administration of contests?

Added: I don't intend to add a complaint, but for people who want to complain, where should they go?

Lol. Maybe a new parallel thread to question the administration of contests?

But then what would be the point because the only people reading it would be the ones complaining. Really, how do you raise these concerns?

Last edited:
Well, you don't, of course. Because when you do, Laurel calls you a troll--and it doesn't matter how much effort you've been expending helping other posters deal with nonfunctioning areas of the Web site. (Read this quick. It's soon to disappear. ;))

Well, you don't, of course. Because when you do, Laurel calls you a troll--and it doesn't matter how much effort you've been expending helping other posters deal with nonfunctioning areas of the Web site. (Read this quick. It's soon to disappear. ;))

I believe you coz I've Seen the help you've given me and others. And hit some of the pitfalls of lit myself now.

If you have suggestions to improve the administration of the contests, take them directly to Laurel. These discussions happening anywhere on the public forum never come to any positive end.

Any further discussion of the topic in this thread will be removed.

If you have suggestions to improve the administration of the contests, take them directly to Laurel. These discussions happening anywhere on the public forum never come to any positive end.

Any further discussion of the topic in this thread will be removed.

Thank you. I will.

Congrats winners!

I made my peace with the ups and downs of sweeps and one-bombs by ignoring drama I can't control. Instead, I enjoy the faster posting and the extra eyeballs the contest brings. Sure, winning is fun, but there are too many variables at play.

Imagine if the Oscars had a system where people could monitor votes?

Look no further than the 2005 Oscars for Best Picture:

Memoirs of a Geisha (6 Nominations), Walk The Line (5 Nominations), King Kong (4 Nominations), The Constant Gardener (4 Nominations), Pride & Prejudice (4 Nominations), Cinderella Man (3 Nominations) - What do each of those six films have in common? Not a single one of them was even nominated for Best Picture! With the possible exception of King Kong, those are five heavyweight dramas!

As for the actual Best Picture nominees for that year:

Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Crash, Good Night, and Good Luck, Munich

Five more very serious, important movies. Can you remember who won? (Crash)

Is the Lit system flawed? Maybe? But I can tell you, of those eleven movies I just listed, I never bothered to watch seven of them and I've only seen one of them more than once.

There were a couple other movies that year that I enjoyed a lot more, including Hitch, Robots, Batman Begins, Wedding Crashers . . . and more.

Makes me agree with some others that really, the competitions aren't worth entering coz the attention you get can be very negative. For me, that's starting to outweigh the positives. I have to say, overall, this competition was a fairly negative experience for me.

And I really thought about posting this, coz I don't like being negative about these things. I'd rather be all yaaay go girl go, but I'm seeing the validity of many of those criticisms of LIT management after this one.

Yikes, that's too bad that you had such a frustrating experience. :( For a while there I didn't think I was much of a target, because my score didn't budge much in either direction, but then the final sweeps restored 0.07 so I must have been at some point. I still think there's a net positive no matter what. I've been entering contests for the followers, and it's been working. That doesn't have much to do with scores.

Though I wonder if they've ever considered a contest scoring system that's separate from the stars. Like, maybe you have to have an account to vote, and you only get to vote for your one favorite contest submission (which you can change at any time until the contest ends)? I'm sure there's problems with that too, but there's got to be a better way.

Anyway, congrats again to the winners and good luck everyone with Halloween, if you're entering!

Anyway, congrats again to the winners and good luck everyone with Halloween, if you're entering!

Exactly. Congratulations to everyone and on to the next one.

I'm done my moaning and whining. Lol. All out of my system and laughing at myself for taking things too seriously. When alls said and done the competitions are fun and a good incentive to write something. My bad for letting myself get worked up over it. Next time I will sit there chanting om mani padme hum or something while ignoring the slings and arrows of outrageous one stars.

Exactly. Congratulations to everyone and on to the next one.

I'm done my moaning and whining. Lol. All out of my system and laughing at myself for taking things too seriously. When alls said and done the competitions are fun and a good incentive to write something. My bad for letting myself get worked up over it. Next time I will sit there chanting om mani padme hum or something while ignoring the slings and arrows of outrageous one stars.

I felt your pain and I placed in the contest. Up until that happened, I thought to myself several times, 'Why did I enter?' I'm getting killed on what felt like malicious intent.'

It won't stop me from entering another one, though now I think I'll submit two stories at one time. 1 for a contest and 1 I can check until checking is no longer an obsession for me after a story first comes out. Hopefully soon. What I need to do is find a way to get people to comment - I don't inspire many comments--yet.

Huh.

I'll admit I'm bemused by the way some of you so carefully parse each vote; I've got neither the time nor the interest to do that, but I respect y'all's dedication and ability to apply basic math. I lack both.

I do these contests now because they force me out of my comfort zone. My early stories were all low-hanging fruit; these are more of a challenge. They do about as well, voting-wise, as all my other submissions, so while it'd be nice to win I'm really just happy to flex my keyboard a little.

These contests are about the journey, not the destination. I find that kind of attitude keeps me nice and mellow. It's supposed to be about having fun, guys, after all.

Huh.

I'll admit I'm bemused by the way some of you so carefully parse each vote; I've got neither the time nor the interest to do that, but I respect y'all's dedication and ability to apply basic math. I lack both.

I do these contests now because they force me out of my comfort zone. My early stories were all low-hanging fruit; these are more of a challenge. They do about as well, voting-wise, as all my other submissions, so while it'd be nice to win I'm really just happy to flex my keyboard a little.

These contests are about the journey, not the destination. I find that kind of attitude keeps me nice and mellow. It's supposed to be about having fun, guys, after all.

I admit I was one of those refreshing my pages checking the scores several times a day... But when all is said and done, I wrote and submitted my story (and all of the others) more because it was fun and therapeutic for me. It is great if people like or even love my stories. Even if they hate them, I triggered a reaction and it is fun to know that.

Overall, I am happy for having submitted a story for the contest. Yes, it wasn't the greatest story out there, but I had fun writing it. And I touched one person enough they sent private feedback to me.

Will I submit for other contests? Yes. Probably not Halloween, though. More because Halloween just isn't that big for me personally.

To every author who has the courage to post here on lit, I salute you.

I agree with the having fun part. Usually it is and I've enjoyed all the past competitions. I end up writing stories I would never have written otherwise and that's good for me.

Just with this one, think about it this way. You submit your story that you've worked like a bitch on to get finished and submitted before the deadline. At the end of the first day it's up and it's got 50 votes and it's on 4.98 - now is that a buzz or is it not? And then, as you watch, it gets hit by one star after one star vote one after the other over a few minutes until it's knocked down to under 4.7. Now THAT is not fun. That makes it hard to stay mellow. I'm not exactly the calmest person in the world and mellow is not my middle name.

That's deliberate, malicious cheating. I have trolls, I expect one stars, I got enough of them with Fingerprints but not like in this competition. It's just sickening to see it happen, especially after those first 50 votes and to know it's deliberate coz statistically that just doesn't happen. If you look st voting patterns, almost all stories end up pretty close to what they scored at the end of day one with some minor variations. I kept the stats on the stories in this one day by day and out of the top 30, almost all finished around .02-.04 from where they were at the end of the first day with the odd exception.

The four or five highest scoring stories at the end of the first day, with a couple of very visible exceptions, were all voted down around .10 to .20 and in my case by .30 - those are way outside the statistical norm - one, you might say could be an anomaly, but the top half dozen - nope, that's blatant cheating and vote rigging. Both my stories were blatantly hammered out of the gate. After the first 15 votes, all five stars, I got four one stars in a row which were deleted by Admin right away. But at the end of the day .... those one stars came right on back with a vengeance. And every day....

That's not fun to see either coz you know you've been targeted day after day. And it wasn't happening to just me either. No, that's not fun and I can't think of it that way at all. I can shrug it off after the fact as some pathetic attempt at cheating by some loser but it's not fun when it happens to you. it's very disheartening actually.

On the other hand I can ignore it after the fact coz I have enough fans busy emailing me nice feedback that it doesn't get to me for long at all. But at the time it wasn't fun and I really sat down and did a rethink on whether it was worth entering any more. I'll get past it and enter but nope, not fun and it detracts from all the enjoyment of writing and entering in competitions.

Honestly, I'd expect a bit of vote boosting here and there, a lot of us are competitive but if it's a competition, one expects at least a modicum of refereeing. And when that doesn't happen ones natural reaction is generally to retaliate in kind. And doesn't that screw things up coz who knows what the "real" votes are anymore. I gather this sort of thing has happened in the past but I have no idea how or if it was ever resolved - before my time - but it's sad to see it reappear with nothing done to nip it in the bud.

Last edited:

Not as long as they come with money attached for the winners, I don't think. That invites getting to the destination by any means necessary.

I agree with the having fun part. Usually it is and I've enjoyed all the past competitions. I end up writing stories I would never have written otherwise and that's good for me.

Just with this one, think about it this way. You submit your story that you've worked like a bitch on to get finished and submitted before the deadline. At the end of the first day it's up and it's got 50 votes and it's on 4.98 - now is that a buzz or is it not? And then, as you watch, it gets hit by one star after one star vote one after the other over a few minutes until it's knocked down to under 4.7. Now THAT is not fun. That makes it hard to stay mellow. I'm not exactly the calmest person in the world and mellow is not my middle name.

That's deliberate, malicious cheating. I have trolls, I expect one stars, I got enough of them with Fingerprints but not like in this competition. It's just sickening to see it happen, especially after those first 50 votes and to know it's deliberate coz statistically that just doesn't happen. If you look st voting patterns, almost all stories end up pretty close to what they scored at the end of day one with some minor variations. I kept the stats on the stories in this one day by day and out of the top 30, almost all finished around .02-.04 from where they were at the end of the first day with the odd exception.

The four or five highest scoring stories at the end of the first day, with a couple of very visible exceptions, were all voted down around .10 to .20 and in my case by .30 - those are way outside the statistical norm - one, you might say could be an anomaly, but the top half dozen - nope, that's blatant cheating and vote rigging. Both my stories were blatantly hammered out of the gate. After the first 15 votes, all five stars, I got four one stars in a row which were deleted by Admin right away. But at the end of the day .... those one stars came right on back with a vengeance. And every day....

That's not fun to see either coz you know you've been targeted day after day. And it wasn't happening to just me either. No, that's not fun and I can't think of it that way at all. I can shrug it off after the fact as some pathetic attempt at cheating by some loser but it's not fun when it happens to you. it's very disheartening actually.

On the other hand I can ignore it after the fact coz I have enough fans busy emailing me nice feedback that it doesn't get to me for long at all. But at the time it wasn't fun and I really sat down and did a rethink on whether it was worth entering any more. I'll get past it and enter but nope, not fun and it detracts from all the enjoyment of writing and entering in competitions.

Honestly, I'd expect a bit of vote boosting here and there, a lot of us are competitive but if it's a competition, one expects at least a modicum of refereeing. And when that doesn't happen ones natural reaction is generally to retaliate in kind. And doesn't that screw things up coz who knows what the "real" votes are anymore. I gather this sort of thing has happened in the past but I have no idea how or if it was ever resolved - before my time - but it's sad to see it reappear with nothing done to nip it in the bud.

I get it.

But I'm a firm believer that we can cogitate ourselves into or out of almost anything. Maybe someday I'll cogitate myself into caring more; I dunno. I think I'd actually like that. Sometimes, not caring about much gets old, I'll admit.

Not as long as they come with money attached for the winners, I don't think. That invites getting to the destination by any means necessary.

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back