Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

No, no sweeps yet. There weren't any for 2-3 weeks after the Mystery Tour event, either, so...going to need to be patient. It will probably coincide with the regular sweeps.

If you want to request a sweep on your story specifically, you can. :) You report your own story (lower right triangle-! symbol), select the reason as "Other," and ask politely. But even those don't go through for about 7-10 days. There's no insta-fix for tactical voting, that's why it's always early and immediate by those who care the most.

Thanks. I'll wait with everyone else. Asking for a special sweep for my story doesn't seem quite right.

No, no sweeps yet. There weren't any for 2-3 weeks after the Mystery Tour event, either, so...going to need to be patient. It will probably coincide with the regular sweeps.

If you want to request a sweep on your story specifically, you can. :) You report your own story (lower right triangle-! symbol), select the reason as "Other," and ask politely. But even those don't go through for about 7-10 days. There's no insta-fix for tactical voting, that's why it's always early and immediate by those who care the most.

Since I'm relatively new here, I'm not familiar with some of the terminology being used in this conversation, so my apologies if it seems like I'm asking something obvious.

What is a "sweep" in this context?

Since I'm relatively new here, I'm not familiar with some of the terminology being used in this conversation, so my apologies if it seems like I'm asking something obvious.

What is a "sweep" in this context?

Periodically the management/ownership of this site will "sweep" or delete votes to stories that it believes are being submitted for invalid/tactical reasons, rather than as reflections of a genuine opinion about a story's quality. Nobody seems to know exactly how sweeps work, and management keeps the formula somewhat mysterious, presumably to prevent it from being gamed and defeated by determined trolls. Sweeps tend to show up during contests because that's when trolls are most likely to give stories 1 votes to prevent them from competing.

Seems like participation in this thread has died.

Thanks to Puckit and Etaski for setting up and cheerleading the event, thanks to all the authors for putting out such a diverse and fun mix of stories and thanks to the readers, voters and commentors. It was stressful and sometimes borderline crazy, but loads of fun.

See you all next year for Geek Pride Day 2019

unless Trump sets off WWIII in the meantime.

I'm still working my way through the stories. I'm also trying to get a second story out. I decided to go ahead despite the lukewarm reception the first one got. I mean, is it normal to get over 900 views, but only 13 votes and 5 comments? I appreciated every comment, and that's what has made me want to continue.

Votes are silver. Comments are gold.

I'm still reading them too, and leaving comments as soon as I have something remotely clever to say :D

I'm still working my way through the stories. I'm also trying to get a second story out. I decided to go ahead despite the lukewarm reception the first one got. I mean, is it normal to get over 900 views, but only 13 votes and 5 comments? I appreciated every comment, and that's what has made me want to continue.

Do it!

900 views is a low number, in the category 13 votes for that number of views is a low number. Five comments is not so bad.

The event put more stories into SciFi&F than the normal readership there was ready to adsorb. They're a small group. I hope that this event will bring more people into reading the category.

What!? No! I'm still reading them. Am I seriously that guy who's still running the marathon hours after they packed up the finish line and everyone's gone home?

lol, I love that image. :D

I'd be the person who was running along and, midway, I got a call I was expecting and I went off the path for a while. I've been packing like mad for three days, and yesterday was my moving day. The first thing I got set up in the new place last night is my writing corner and a working computer, which includes cat lounges so that cat can criticize while watching birds near the window. Huzzah!

However, the cat yowled all night asking why I'd brought her to this strange place filled with boxes and unutilized furniture that actually has these things called stairs. and does she really need to climb them to see me in the morning?! :eek: "Maybe if I meow loud enough, she'll come down..."

Oh my fuck, I've got a lot to do... but my husband made one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had, so off to a decent start of the day after a crappy night and encouraging a sore body to keep going this morning. Then I return to work tomorrow (but with a much shorter commute!! :D) and get caught up on all the time I've been gone.

It will be a bit before I can return to the stories, but I knew this was coming. If Geek Pride Day had been any later, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy those first four days as much as I did. :) Lucky me.

Thank you everyone!

Cats probably hate moving even more than humans do. I'm sure once she realizes that she'll be sufficiently cared for and worshipped in her new home, your cat will discover the joy of stairs.

Cats probably hate moving even more than humans do. I'm sure once she realizes that she'll be sufficiently cared for and worshipped in her new home, your cat will discover the joy of stairs.

Or, like my cat, will realize that the stairs are the ideal place to ambush hapless prey. :cattail: :devil: Those big, two-legged things fall over soo easily when you walk between their feet as they go down the stairs.

Or, like my cat, will realize that the stairs are the ideal place to ambush hapless prey. :cattail: :devil: Those big, two-legged things fall over soo easily when you walk between their feet as they go down the stairs.
No doubt part of the joy of stairs. Mine likes to walk right ahead of me and randomly floop on a stair to see if she can trip me up.

No stairs, but our cats (at age four) still don't understand the concept of their humans being visually impaired. They love to drop down in our path for a quick cuddle. It's a testament to our superhuman perception (and not wearing "hard" footwear indoors) that we didn't trample them on accident. On the flip side we do happen to have a 100% mishap discovery rate. Hairballs, stolen food, you name it. Especially fun when you step into it half-asleep and barefoot. Ugh.

No cat antics to share- what kind of a geek are you!
Working on your next submission, so probably a focused one :)

We have three cats. This morning I read the paper while one of them played with a foam ball on the carpet in front of me. He hunkered down into lunge position then instead of jumping at the ball he did a complete back flip and landed on his feet. Once wasn't enough to sufficiently cow the toy, so he did it again. Then he looked at me and ran off.

This is a six or seven year-old cat, not a kitten, but he has more energy than can be expended while his feet are on the ground. Or while he's upright, apparently.

We have three cats. This morning I read the paper while one of them played with a foam ball on the carpet in front of me. He hunkered down into lunge position then instead of jumping at the ball he did a complete back flip and landed on his feet. Once wasn't enough to sufficiently cow the toy, so he did it again. Then he looked at me and ran off.

This is a six or seven year-old cat, not a kitten, but he has more energy than can be expended while his feet are on the ground. Or while he's upright, apparently.

Lol- he might have been scaring off one of the many creatures only cats can see.
My cat is seven but she's still the size of a teenage kitten (runt of the litter like me) and is named Alia. I swear being exposed to the water of life so early gave her extraplanar vision. Her older brother, Muad'dib passed away and was a much better mouser, but she sure can hunt whatever invisible goblins plague my house :D

Lol- he might have been scaring off one of the many creatures only cats can see.
My cat is seven but she's still the size of a teenage kitten (runt of the litter like me) and is named Alia. I swear being exposed to the water of life so early gave her extraplanar vision. Her older brother, Muad'dib passed away and was a much better mouser, but she sure can hunt whatever invisible goblins plague my house :D

He does go aerial now and then for reasons that are obvious only to him.

We have one of those little cats, too. Our two boys are six or seven and bonded while they were in the City's custody, so we adopted both of them instead of splitting them apart. Our third cat is a tiny little tri-color who lived in our yard for at least a year before my wife coaxed her inside. She's been inside ever since. She's best friends forever with the jumpy cat, and the other boy bullies her.

My cat fratenises with foxes at night. He is ok, he loves getting pats and his response to the pleasure is to unsheath his claws. At that point he is given short shrift.

My dog is beautiful. She is of uncertain parentage but thought to be mostly sheep dog crossed with chihuahua. Not so long ago she was learning to drive. She would turn off the radio, sit in my lap and run the steering wheel around with her paws. She kept within the white lines. So long as 40 kph was the top speed she did very well. She was hugely interested. She hated oncoming traffic and would shiver with fear that we could run into them , especially semi trailers with a few trailers. She was adept with the wipers and hazard lights. I was hoping to get/ make a vehicle she could drive around on the farm. Being so little she would be exhausted after a full day of running.

Unfortunately, she failed her driving on the abc's . Accelerator, brake and clutch. She couldn't reach them. Her legs aren't long enough. She isn't interested anymore. She sleeps most of the time now because she is ancient. Everyone loves her and they talk about her because she was once so clever.

I got through them all and can I just say wow!

So many long short stories and amazing depth and variety. I will admit I am a little in love with some of your twisted minds on the other hand one or two of you made me afraid to think you were out there somewhere walking around as if you were quite "Normal", lol. The teacher in me wants to point out that we should never recycle sentient beings!

I also want to thank those of you who did the hard yards and read through my eight pages and managed to have enough energy to leave a comment. I sincerely appreciate you all :rose: :kiss: :rose:

Thanks, everyone for making this so much fun, organizers and writers alike. Can't have one without the other.

A special thanks to the first timers who were brave enough to get their writing out there. I can remember how nerve-wracking that was. You guys are awesome!

The topic evidently is cats then? I happen own, er that is house the world's smartest tabby. He has learned that the dog bears him no ill will, and even likes him. This has lead to the startling conclusion that if he stops running, the dog will stop chasing him. Peace abides in the house!. He's also a runt , a 2/3 scale model of a cat.

Xelliebabex thanks for commenting on my story. It means a lot. I'm a long way from finished the list. I have limited time for reading and writing. But I will get there. So far I have enjoyed all the stories.

I submitted my second ( not Sci-fi) story yesterday, despite my misgivings above.

So many long short stories and amazing depth and variety. I will admit I am a little in love with some of your twisted minds on the other hand one or two of you made me afraid to think you were out there somewhere walking around as if you were quite "Normal", lol. The teacher in me wants to point out that we should never recycle sentient beings!

I agree- it was quite a turn out. But who are these "normal" people of which you speak? Hopefully no one here...
And a quick message from our sponsors:
Please reduce, reuse, and most of all, recycle your loved ones at your nearest corporate approved Reclamation Center.

Last edited:
one or two of you made me afraid to think you were out there somewhere walking around as if you were quite "Normal", lol.

Yes exactly what my wife said about me after reading my story. She says she kept asking herself while reading "my husband wrote this???"

Back