How to block someone

Perhaps not exactly what you want, but you could create your own alt so that your potential stalker won't know that a particular post is from you (and will be less likely to find and read that post).

This may seem like a good solution, but there are several problems.

One, we'd keep chasing and abandoning different alts. Over, and over, and over - and all because of assholes. Assholes (the literal ones) are for fucking, not for avoiding (as can be the metaphorical ones). (Pardon my French.)

Two, this is preferably a place where we can use anonymity to express ourselves in ways we might not otherwise. We women are fucking sick to death of assholes (not the literal, fuckable ones) who don't know boundaries and limits. A guy PMs you something inappropriate once or twice, and fine - you ignore him. He might call you a bitch, he might just think it, but he moves on - he's fine. It's the persistent stalkers who are a problem, the ones who are out to victimize someone because they have power issues, and generally that person is going to be someone weaker than them. Physically, evolution sure as shooting has made women weaker, and either biology or environment or some combination of the two has made us more emotionally womanly - which in this culture is seen as weak.

But fuck that: I am womanly in many, many ways, but I am no "pussy" in what this culture stupidly and wrongly means by that word. I am no coward when threatened; I will respond. I have faced terrorism. I have faced physical dangers. I have birthed a fucking baby through my most intimate parts. But when someone goes to blackmail, as apparently some shithead here has? That's when the lawyers come out, my friend.

tl;dr version: fuck that running away shit. There are many ways to fight a fight that gets brought.

Last edited:
This may seem like a good solution, but there are several problems.

And again, let me say: I have not encountered someone on Lit who was personally that bad - 99.9% have been fine to great. You keep doing you. :heart:

I guess this thread applies to me. I just joined the other day. Haven't even made a post and I have 14 unread messages from the same person saying the same thing with different titles.

I guess this thread applies to me. I just joined the other day. Haven't even made a post and I have 14 unread messages from the same person saying the same thing with different titles.

Put them on your 'Ignore' list - then they can't message you any more.

Only one?
Lit has been taken over by Alts who are only here to spread crap.
I can't believe how easy it appears to be to come back over and over under another user name.
No. I said "at least one". That refers to a certain one in particular. And that particular person does spread "crap" .................... everywhere.

No. I said "at least one". That refers to a certain one in particular. And that particular person does spread "crap" .................... everywhere.

This isn't really relevant to my actual question nor the related issue. People's crappy posts are pretty easy to ignore.

Although if you enjoy reading posts re taking a shit in your mouth then you're probably correct and my earlier post is irrelevant so I shall say no more.

Although if you enjoy reading posts re taking a shit in your mouth then you're probably correct and my earlier post is irrelevant so I shall say no more.

I'm not worried about someone else's posts. I'm wanting to invisiblise my own

Aha I now have your point having reread the OP as a result of this post of yours. The point of your OP appears to have become lost somehow and for that I apologise unreservedly. You are indeed correct and I have to agree that my post is irrelevant. Sorry.

I don't think you can characterise people's behaviour into either 'criminal' or 'not worthy of concern'. Life isn't really that simple.

Well, what are we actually talking here about?

Some guy types shit into the "Submit" field on the author's story page.

First world problems.

Well, what are we actually talking here about?

Some guy types shit into the "Submit" field on the author's story page.

First world problems.

No. As I've said above, the problem isn't someone's comments; it's their ability to access my posts.

Denny

Is such a thing possible?

We, as a team, more or less randomly comment and randomly ignore things that randomly are crap or just Alts here to randomly argue. To add to the crap we stir the pot or ignore them.
Having fun is so much fun we don't ignore anyone. We do sometimes not read or reply to crap.
Still some crap is fun and other crap deserves return crap. It's like pouring gas on a fire but sometimes flames are purdy!
Other times flames can be dangerous.
It might be better to make ourselves invisiblised or invisibilise those who spread the crap. Life is so full of confusing choices.

Is such a thing possible?

We, as a team, more or less randomly comment and randomly ignore things that randomly are crap or just Alts here to randomly argue. To add to the crap we stir the pot or ignore them.
Having fun is so much fun we don't ignore anyone. We do sometimes not read or reply to crap.
Still some crap is fun and other crap deserves return crap. It's like pouring gas on a fire but sometimes flames are purdy!
Other times flames can be dangerous.
It might be better to make ourselves invisiblised or invisibilise those who spread the crap. Life is so full of confusing choices.

No, it isn't possible, as noted above. The problem is not related to arguments, and I'm quite good at just ignoring things people say if I don't like them. The problem is a specific person accessing my posts when I'd rather they weren't able to. But there's obviously nothing I can do about it.

No. As I've said above, the problem isn't someone's comments; it's their ability to access my posts.

Uhm, sorry, I was actually following "La damnee elle la licorne" comments as quoted and I thought you were also following this sidetrack, instead of your original question.

Well, I really see no reason why it is possible to access the board content without being registered. This should be changed. Regarding the invisibility - I think I would hate it. After all you are modifying how I perceive the world. You write something, someone else replies to it and I'm left with the pieces to make sense of it all. It's okay to choose how you perceive the world and what you want to filter or not, but changing the perception of other people is not something I would approve, no matter the gain for 'security'.

Interestingly, there was a Black Mirror episode that actually did feature how life would be if you could filter out people from your (real life) reality.

Last edited:
Uhm, sorry, I was actually following "La damnee elle la licorne" comments as quoted and I thought you were also following this sidetrack, instead of your original question.

Well, I really see no reason why it is possible to access the board content without being registered. This should be changed. Regarding the invisibility - I think I would hate it. After all you are modifying how I perceive the world. You write something, someone else replies to it and I'm left with the pieces to make sense of it all. It's okay to choose how you perceive the world and what you want to filter or not, but changing the perception of other people is not something I would approve, no matter the gain for 'security'.

Interestingly, there was a Black Mirror episode that actually did feature how life would be if you could filter out people from your (real life) reality.

But that happens all the time when people retroactively delete their contributions to a thread.

Was that the one where you had to gather what were effectively 'likes' to be considered for things like jobs, flats, etc ... and she ended up in jail?

But that happens all the time when people retroactively delete their contributions to a thread.

There they change the reality, not the perception. The deletion is true for everyone. The effect might be the same in the end, but it doesn't feel the same for me.

Was that the one where you had to gather what were effectively 'likes' to be considered for things like jobs, flats, etc ... and she ended up in jail?

No, it was the White Christmas episode.

There they change the reality, not the perception. The deletion is true for everyone. The effect might be the same in the end, but it doesn't feel the same for me.

Hmmm ... I'm not that I value your need to feel that you're seeing 'reality' over someone's (admittedly virtual) safety.

So what actually happened ...

... now things seem to be OK ... basically someone went back through what I think must have been my entire post history, stuck together some very disparate pieces of minor information from various unrelated place, and came to a conclusion about my real life that was uncannily accurate, but was something I'm pretty sure I've never actually articulated in here. Before I realised how he'd worked that out, I thought it must have been because of some actual statement I'd made in the dim distant past and couldn't remember(and consequently inadvertently confirmed what until then was really guess work on his part) ... but then he revealed that no, it was all based on his detective work. I'm sure it was all harmless, and he was just taking my 'do some research' comment elsewhere very much to heart (although why anyone would bother doing THAT much research is a little beyond me).
However, at the time it gave me a fright, and I was curious to see if I could prevent any further digging. Apparently not. I've learnt to be a little more circumspect.

Not quite ... obviously it's easy to add someone to your 'ignore' list, but if you do that, can they still read your posts? (I don't care about not seeing their posts any more, but it would be good to know if you can prevent someone from seeing your posts.)

And yes, I checked the FAQs.

Well, sheeeeesh, that's what alts are for, OMFG! (the funny part is, I'm the only person on Lit that doesn't have an Alt, KimGordon has seven, lol.
I just never figured out the rationale with having alt's on Lit. A fake persona for your other life persona...

I love the idea we could only unveil to people we liked or veil to people whose taste was completely irreconcilable with ours; but we'd still be visible as soon as any member logged out I think of if a non forum member reads.

I thought you were an entitled sociopath years ago.

It's not about enemies nezhul.

Just last week a litster chose to leave this board because she was being blackmailed. Any excuse of this is like saying women ask for rape when they dress a certain way.

Lit and so on should thrive because its a place to express ourselves, explore our sexuality etc. When it's not safe feeling it's not about having 'enemies' it can be about being too attractive to a person in words or form.

If lit fails to retain or encourage new female posters or we are too 'private' to discuss the reality of our sexuality then surely a considerable appeal here is lost to heterosexual men too?

Thank you for proving me right. You only pollute what you touch, and produce......nothing

Well, sheeeeesh, that's what alts are for, OMFG! (the funny part is, I'm the only person on Lit that doesn't have an Alt, KimGordon has seven, lol.
I just never figured out the rationale with having alt's on Lit. A fake persona for your other life persona...

I thought you were an entitled sociopath years ago.

Thank you for proving me right. You only pollute what you touch, and produce......nothing

I have no idea what most of this actually means, but rest assured, none of the other KG's are me. I can only assume they also aren't Sonic Youth's bassist. (Although I guess one of them might be - nothing like hiding in plain sight.)

I have no idea what most of this actually means, but rest assured, none of the other KG's are me. I can only assume they also aren't Sonic Youth's bassist. (Although I guess one of them might be - nothing like hiding in plain sight.)

So you're a Lit Puritan...or claim your alt's?

Back