The General Commentary Thread

Belated congrats to P'tor, Calli and Katie for their excellent runs in the 007 thread. And thanks to Calli, Katie and darkmaas for such a fine group of additions to the Five Senses Challenge. Keep 'em coming, poets!

Thanks, Ange!:)

My apologies to everyone for binge-poeming (newly invented term). I never seem to know when all of a sudden my writing time disappears so I am enjoying it while I can.

My apologies to everyone for binge-poeming (newly invented term). I never seem to know when all of a sudden my writing time disappears so I am enjoying it while I can.

That's fine...you're enjoying it, we're enjoying it...everyone's is enjoying all the poetting--be it binged or not. *g* :rose:

:cool:

That's fine...you're enjoying it, we're enjoying it...everyone's is enjoying all the poetting--be it binged or not. *g* :rose:

:cool:

What he said. When the poems are good we'll take all we can get! :D

Belated congrats to P'tor, Calli and Katie for their excellent runs in the 007 thread. And thanks to Calli, Katie and darkmaas for such a fine group of additions to the Five Senses Challenge. Keep 'em coming, poets!

Thanks, Angie. :)

So are we! No apologies necessary.

Katie... To Err is Human in 5 Senses... daaaaaaamn. That's all I've got right now.

This gave me pause in the best possible way, DM.

"There's a web
of loves and strangers
that stretches back in time..."

So good.

Last edited:
Just went and read the whole piece in 12 Bar Blues. That's good stuff darkmaas.

This gave me pause in the best possible way, DM.

"There's a web
of loves and strangers
that stretches back in time..."

So good.

Well thank-you, but hold the pause. You're much better burning up the threads ...

::

Must be the mood I'm in. That was enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Thank you, but "tears to the eyes" are excessive. Might I recommend <shameless plug>

You'll recognize a few people who are much better than I ...

Foolio, if you are listening: it's your round so make mine a double.

Thank you, but "tears to the eyes" are excessive. Might I recommend <shameless plug>

You'll recognize a few people who are much better than I ...

Foolio, if you are listening: it's your round so make mine a double.

Not necessarily but that thread is always a bittersweet experience for me for the obvious reasons.

Your poem is really good, spare and gets to the heart of the matter.

When the muse is with me, I somehow find the time - or at least jot down the line for future reference, for she is a fickle lass.

Some lovely notions popping up in American Sentences thread

After the next DB Challenge, I think it would be interesting to have one combining the American Sentence format and the 5 senses with the goal of including all 5 senses in as few American Sentences as possible. I can't imagine all in one and still retaining quality as verse. They wouldn't have to be all in one post either. In fact, it might be be better because the reader would have to loop back and forth among the submissions to guess authorship, and I believe you often discover something new when you re-read a poem.

I'd host it if there's interest.

After the next DB Challenge, I think it would be interesting to have one combining the American Sentence format and the 5 senses with the goal of including all 5 senses in as few American Sentences as possible. I can't imagine all in one and still retaining quality as verse. They wouldn't have to be all in one post either. In fact, it might be be better because the reader would have to loop back and forth among the submissions to guess authorship, and I believe you often discover something new when you re-read a poem.

Sounds like fun to me. :)

Still trying to get my mind around this ( and Bodhisattva your great new submission to American Sentence thread). American Paragraph or American Sensorium?? ?

I feel it would be better to have all sentences and senses in one post but I'm a simple northerner.

Still trying to get my mind around this ( and Bodhisattva your great new submission to American Sentence thread). American Paragraph or American Sensorium?? ?

I feel it would be better to have all sentences and senses in one post but I'm a simple northerner.

A lot ot time for finessing, whatever works.

I think this in an interesting idea, gm. A discussion came up at my residency about how short something could be and still be art (the example was Hemingway's "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."). Compression of expression is generally a good thing in writing, I think, but if one compresses expression too much, the result can squeeze all of the emotional power out of the work.

I'll try to participate if you decide to proceed.

Some lovely notions popping up in American Sentences thread
I want to echo Piscator's statement (or, more cheaply, simply copy it). I'm really enjoying the sentences people are posting and I'm especially pleased that the ephemeral but wonderful Katie Jones posted a little flurry of what I can only assume are (North) American Sentences (Ms. J. is, I think, Canuckian), and that darkerdreamer (that's still a creepy avatar, bro) emerged from his long absence to quip his way to seventeen syllables.

I like the form, I guess, because it helps me restart my often misfiring poetry engine. Like pulling out the choke on a really old car.

He says, using a simile that will be likely be lost on anyone born after 1960 or so.

I like the form, I guess, because it helps me restart my often misfiring poetry engine. Like pulling out the choke on a really old car.
He says, using a simile that will be likely be lost on anyone born after 1960 or so.

But you have to push the choke back in once it's running or the engine floods.
Personal experience from using a venerable riding lawn mower

Last edited:
Tzara said:

"I'm really enjoying the sentences people are posting and I'm especially pleased that the ephemeral but wonderful Katie Jones posted a little flurry of what I can only assume are (North) American Sentences (Ms. J. is, I think, Canuckian)"

Is there space in the poetic universe for Canadian sentences as a subset of American sentences? Perhaps an extra syllable but it has to be "Eh?" or maybe two extra syllables but "sorry" has to appear in the first half of the sentence.

Back