Poetry and performance

That's a good point! I've done live readings, but I feel like the way I write and want to read my poetry does not fit well with the slam/performance style that seems to dominate readings these days. And I, alas, am not a performance artist. And I never will be.

There are venues where one simply reads poems and that is more my thing.

That's a good point! I've done live readings, but I feel like the way I write and want to read my poetry does not fit well with the slam/performance style that seems to dominate readings these days. And I, alas, am not a performance artist. And I never will be.

There are venues where one simply reads poems and that is more my thing.

Slams are more entertainment than poetry in my experience with most slam poetry being doggeral and lyrics with little room for quiet consideration of what's being communicated. I tried slamming once and rejected it as not very satisfying. That being said, most poetry readings I've been to, the poets haven't given a performance, as though the craft of performance was beneath them, prefering to bore their audience with a monotone voice, and often with poems that are so short, the audience doesn't have time to tune in. However, there is such a thing as an understated performance which can be more powerful animated readings with the poet bellowing so hard into a mic, the feedback is more poetic.

Slams are more entertainment than poetry in my experience with most slam poetry being doggeral and lyrics with little room for quiet consideration of what's being communicated. I tried slamming once and rejected it as not very satisfying. That being said, most poetry readings I've been to, the poets haven't given a performance, as though the craft of performance was beneath them, prefering to bore their audience with a monotone voice, and often with poems that are so short, the audience doesn't have time to tune in. However, there is such a thing as an understated performance which can be more powerful animated readings with the poet bellowing so hard into a mic, the feedback is more poetic.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've seen some wonderful performance art over the years (including Ginsberg, who could be quite the performer as we all know). I find it kind of sad that, at least where I am, slam style seems to be what most people want. There's no way I could compete with that, being who I am as a writer, even if I wanted.

I think I'd like something in-between the Beats reading to jazz in the late 1950's and slam. Y'now just read your damn poem, neither invested with boredom nor bravado. Just reading, so you know the rhythm is heard the way you, as poet, want it to be.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've seen some wonderful performance art over the years (including Ginsberg, who could be quite the performer as we all know). I find it kind of sad that, at least where I am, slam style seems to be what most people want. There's no way I could compete with that, being who I am as a writer, even if I wanted.

I think I'd like something in-between the Beats reading to jazz in the late 1950's and slam. Y'now just read your damn poem, neither invested with boredom nor bravado. Just reading, so you know the rhythm is heard the way you, as poet, want it to be.

I've been at a few poetry slams and did not really enjoy any of them. I think "Slam" is the problem. Everybody comes out as the angry young poet, and did we ever need one more? Poetry slams seem always be combined with alcohol, so after a while, we have drunken angry young poets.

I have done plenty of public readings. It was always in front of a polite and respectful audience. I try to voice the emotion of the piece, because if I have to fight tears to finish the read, the audience better do the same.

I try to voice the emotion of the piece, because if I have to fight tears to finish the read, the audience better do the same.
OK, now I have a man-crush on you. :)

I can't do that. Or won't do that, I suppose. I have always been terrified about talking in front of people.

Which is weird, as I work as a Software Sales Engineer, where I routinely do presentations and demonstrations before groups.

But reading my poetry? No. I would effing die.

I know that doesn't make much sense, but there it is.

I've been at a few poetry slams and did not really enjoy any of them. I think "Slam" is the problem. Everybody comes out as the angry young poet, and did we ever need one more? Poetry slams seem always be combined with alcohol, so after a while, we have drunken angry young poets.

I have done plenty of public readings. It was always in front of a polite and respectful audience. I try to voice the emotion of the piece, because if I have to fight tears to finish the read, the audience better do the same.

You are an old soul. You just are.

OK, now I have a man-crush on you. :)

I can't do that. Or won't do that, I suppose. I have always been terrified about talking in front of people.

Which is weird, as I work as a Software Sales Engineer, where I routinely do presentations and demonstrations before groups.

But reading my poetry? No. I would effing die.

I know that doesn't make much sense, but there it is.

I taught seventh grade English and study skills to the U of Wisconsin football team. I can talk in front of anyone. Once I get rolling, I don't give a...er they don't bother me.

i'm bored with spammers. so i'm copying its posts and pming them back to them.

i'm bored with spammers. so i'm copying its posts and pming them back to them.

didn't work
performance poetry?
slam poetry?
spam poetry

a few years back someone was doing interspersed snippets of literature to get through the filters

IT people, so that is what the IT is

block the way
find a way around it, who ya' gonna call?
IT block the way
find a way around it, who ya' gonna call?
IT block the way

somewhere in this job security, i see a villain elle

Back