Protection (closed)

"You know, babe, the doctor is going to shut us down before too long. I'n not looking forward to that, but it will be best for the baby. Why don't you turn over and get some rest; I need to go pick up Molly in a few minutes. I'll try to keep her quiet when we get home so you can take a nap."
 
"Alright, babe." I murmur as I turn over on my side and let out a sigh as you pull the blankets up over me. "Don't forget her snack and please don't take her to McDonalds if she asks. She can have carrots and grapes if she wants."

Glancing over my shoulder at you, I tip my head in your direction for a kiss. The smile on my face definitely shows my happiness as I look at you for a long moment.

"I love you, baby, with all of my heart." I say softly.
 
"OK, babe . . . we have plenty of fruit and juice here for her . . you just get some rest."

Turning Lucy to run in the back yard while I pick up Molly; as usual, she keeps the chatter up all the way home. I finally extract from her a promise to be quiet when we get home so that you can rest and be awake to spend time with her later.
 
Molly is full of vigor as she quietly runs through the house, helping you to make a snack plate for her. She also insists on helping you to pour the apple juice in a cup. Then she sits at the table and chatters with you about things that happened during her day at school.

"Papa, would you come for show and tell next week? I want to show everyone my new daddy." She commented, looking at you with a expectant look on her face as she pops a grape into her mouth.
 
"I'm sure that can be arranged, Molly. We can talk to Mommy about it later and see if it is OK with her."

Finishing my cup of coffee as she finishes her snack, "Why don't you go down and let Lucy in and you can watch cartoons on the big TV in the family room. Mommy should be up from her nap before too long."

As soon as she runs down and opens the door for Lucy, I walk up to the bedroom and find you starting to stretch under the covers . . .. still naked from our playtime earlier this afternoon.
 
Every little movement seems to take the wind out of my sails. I let out a yawn as you sit on the side of the bed an I finally open my eyes, giving you a lazy smile.

"Hi, baby." I say softly. "How's Miss Molly?"
 
Sliding a hand under the covers to cup a full pregnant breast and swollen nipple, i start to tell you about "show and tell", when I hear the sound of gunfire outside, and not too far away. "Call 911!"

Grabbing my gun from the dresser drawer, I head out the front door and look to make sure that Molly and Lucy are ok. I see Lucy on her side by the fence, painful cries coming from her. Standing next to the gate, I see a guy with a gun, looking toward Molly as she leans over Lucy.

Slipping up behind him, I put my gun to the back of his head, "OK, asshole, give me a reason to pull the trigger!" Only takes him a second or two to realize I am serious. Don't know who this prick is, but suspect that he is connected to Darrell Sims, the one making threats.

"Molly, get in the house and go upstairs with Mommy."

Already hearing sirens turning the corner, only a couple of blocks away.
 
I let out a soft sigh as you cup my breast, the moment growing sober as the sounds of gunshots come from just outside. I'm up in an instant, fumbling into my clothes as I grab my cell from the nightstand and dial 911.

Molly is crying, struggling to understand what happened to her dog as she looks up at you and the man at the gate. She doesn't budge when you tell her to go inside. Frightened, she sits down in the grass next to Lucy, tears coming in thick waves.

"Mommy!" She screams, the commotion already drawing Tom out of his own house with his military pistol drawn. "Papa! We have to help Lucy!"
 
I see Tom running across the street. He sees that I have our shooter already on the ground and, after kicking his gun further away from his hands, runs toward Molly and Lucy. Within a few seconds, the police roll into our driveway and have the shooter in cuffs.

Displaying my credentials and explaining who Tom is and why he is also armed, the police do a quick check of our guns and determine that neither has been recently fired. Lucy has a gunshot in the hip which is not bleeding too badly.

Once the scene is somewhat calm, and Tom gives his verbal explanation to the cops, he heads home to get their SUV and take Lucy to the emergency vet clinic. Once you get downstairs, I bring you up to speed on the events and then send you and Molly to the clinic with Tom and Lucy.
 
Molly is beside herself as I lift her up on my hip and try to calm her down. She is more worried about her dog than anything else. Once we at at the vet, she has a hard time letting Lucy go but we sit in the waiting room as Tom visits with the doctor.

"Sweetheart, Lucy is going to be alright." I say, wiping her tears with a tissue that one of the assistants hands me. "I promise, Molly. Nothing bad will happen to her."

Molly is still sobbing against my side when Tom comes back and says that Lucy needs surgery to remove the bullet and repair the damage done to her leg. "Just tell them to do what they think I best. Lucy means a lot to us."
 
As I recount the events with the police, they ask me to text you to tell the vet to keep the bullet so that they can match it up to the shooter's gun. They identify the guy as having a connection with Darrell Sims. They will make sure that word gets back to Mr. Sims that he is fucking with the wrong family, and that if there is any link at all between him and this guy, his early release will be forgotten about.
 
I relay the information to Tom who informs the vet. I can't thank Tom enough for all that he has done for us that day. It's hard to get information to the people that need it when I have a distraught little girl to calm. Soon enough, I manage to rock her to sleep, tears still staining her cheeks after what she saw that afternoon in her own back yard.

When Tom comes back out into the waiting room, I look up at him with a long sigh. "Thank you, Tom. I really mean it." As he sits down next to us and I lean over to press a kiss to his cheek. "Would you do me a favor? Could you go to the burger place down the street and get a kid's meal for Molly? Alan should be here when Lucy is out of surgery, but it might take him a while."
 
Doesn't really take all that long to give the verbal report to the officers; they will need me to come down to the station tomorrow and sign a written copy of the report. At some point in time, the authorities will have to talk to Molly.

Tom is still not back home as I head for the vet clinic; I stop by and update Sarah briefly on the situation and then let her Know I will send Tom home as soon as I get to the vet's. Giving her a quick hug, "Thanks for all Tom's help today."

Getting to the clinic just as Tom pulls up with the kid's meal for Molly. A firm handshake and hug for him, "Thanks for all your help today; I'll talk to you tomorrow and let you know how things are going."

Walking into the clinic, I find you sitting there, Molly still asleep on your lap.
 
I glance up as you walk into the clinic with the meal in your hands. That tells me that you met Tom outside and sent him home finally. I give you a smile as you walk in, Molly resting heavily against my shoulder as she slumbers.

"Hey, baby." I say softly, kissing you as you take a seat beside me. "She's scared, but she finally wore herself out crying."
 
"Rough day, huh?"

Just then the vet walks out with a smile on his face. Lucy will be just fine; the bullet did not do any internal damage and she should be walking normally in a few weeks. He wants to keep her overnight for observation.

Molly stirs a bit as we carry her out to the car and start the drive home; have a feeling we will have some company in bed the next few nights.
 
Molly wakes about halfway home and I had her the kid's meal, giving her a reassuring smile as I tell her that Lucy will be alright again. She doesn't even open the bag, a sad look on her face as we continue the drive home. Once we arrive, she clings to either you or me, refusing to let either of us out of her sight for very long.

"Why don't you come help me make some dinner for Papa and I?" I say, taking her hand the the uneaten meal, putting it on the table for her after warming it up and setting her in a chair to pick at the food.

"Would you like something else, Molly?" I ask, watching as she shakes her head no. "Do you want to go watch some TV?" Again, she shakes her head no and I'm at a loss with what to do.
 
I'm sure that one we pick up Lucy tomorrow, Molly will start responding better, but the overall effect of the afternoon on her will last quite a while. I'm not sure she really comprehends what happened out there . . . someone truly wanted to hurt her Mommy.

"Why don't you two take Molly's food down to the family room; I'll bring ours down when it is ready."
 
I give you a kiss on the cheek in thanks as I help Molly to gather up her food and let her lead the way down into the family room. Once we get settled and the TV is turned on, she finally starts to relax and eats. I kiss her forehead, simply sitting there until she needs me, but she seems to be doing alright on her own.
 
"Papa, is Lucy going to be OK?" Trying to reassure her, "Yes, baby, Lucy will be fine. We can go pick her up tomorrow morning. She is going to be sore for a few days and will need some special attention. Do you think you can give her some extra special attention while she gets better?"

That seems to brighten her up for a few minutes, then "Why did that bad guy shoot her?"

"I don't know. Molly, but the police have him now and he can't do any more bad things."
 
I decide that since she is asking you the questions, it would be best to let you answer them. She seems to be searching for answers to a senseless thing that happened. It strikes me then just how much danger Molly was in that afternoon. If not Lucy, she could have been the one with the bullet.

"I think it's a good idea if you don't go outside without me and Papa for a while, Molly." I say and she nods. "I'm sure Tom and Sarah would love to have you come play with the girls at their house too."
 
"Mommy's right, Molly; and since Lucy will need some extra care for the next few days (or weeks), we need to make sure Mommy or I go outside with her too."

I see the sudden realization in your eyes that molly could have been the one we were rushing to an emergency room instead of Lucy. Don't know yet it Lucy was the target, or if she sensed the danger, and got between Molly and the shooter.
 
We spend another few hours in the family room before Molly starts to nod off. I take her up to her room, dressing her in her pajamas as you take care of the dishes. Once she is dressed and she has her stuffed lion, I take her into our room and tuck her between the sheets. TV turned on and she is out in about 20 minutes, snuggled between the both of us.

"What are we going to do, baby?" I ask you in a soft voice, looking at you in the dim glow of the TV. "What if he had shot Molly?"
 
"I don't know, babe . . . we'll do everything we can to protect her. I need to talk to your boss tomorrow. If there is anyway we can tie him to Darrell Sims, we won't need to worry about Darrell getting an early release from prison.

"You know the law better than I do, but I'm pretty sure the prick we got yesterday is going to face some pretty serious charges, including endangering the life of a child. And Mr. Sims will probably face some additional charges of soliciting an attempted murder for having the guy on our property."
 
"I'll check with him tomorrow and make sure that we do everything we can." I say as I lean over Molly and press a kiss against your lips. "Thank you for keeping my daughter safe. I don't know what I would do if I lost her."
 
"Well, love, you know I will do anything to protect all of us. And, obviously, so will Tom. Just try to get some sleep yourself tonight."

Lying back on my pillow watching TV, I hear you tossing and turning a bit before you finally doze off, your even breathing a sure sign that, at least for now, you are asleep.
 
Back
Top