XMen: Dangerous Love |Closed for WebbedHawk|

NekoMata

Storyteller Demon
Joined
Jan 3, 2010
Posts
1,442

Dawn rose on a cold winter morning, the soft golden light rising on the suburban area of Westchester county. The soft sound of a sprinkler system could be heard somewhere on one of the massive lawns that surrounded the fenced in property of the large estate. The entirety of the property belonged to Xavier's School for Gifted Children, better known as the Xavier Academy. The academy was home to a number of Mutants of varying ages and offered to both teach and train them. The goal was to provide more members for the XMen, a team of mutants dedicated to protecting humanity from dangerous mutants as well as foster better human-mutant relations.

The main part of the estate was the large mansion that served as both school and dormitories. In one of the smaller single rooms at the back of the house the sound of running water could be heard. Soon enough the water cut off and moments later the door to the bathroom swung open. From the bathroom a woman with short auburn hair, broken by a soft white bang, emerged wrapped in a thick green towel.

Rogue had been awake since three that morning. It was not unusual for her to be up, she had trouble sleeping as it was, and adjusting to a new place was understandably difficult. Rouge had only been at the Academy for a month, and even now she still doubted the wisdom of deciding to come here. Pulling out the duffle bag she had yet to unpack she sorted through it for some clothes, thinking back on the past month.

Two months prior Rogue had been working with her adoptive mother, a mutant named Mystique for the Brotherhood, criminal mutants determined to solidify mutant kinds dominance over humanity. Rogue had been with Mystique and the Brotherhood since she was much younger, but it was only recently that she had begun to take part in the groups work. It was during this time that she first came face to face with the XMen and their leader Professor Charles Xavier. It had been Xavier who had first reached out to Rogue, offering her a home and place to train her powers and put them to good use. So far it felt like nothing but a waste of time.

Even in a home full of mutants she still felt out of place. Much like her lack of sleep she blamed that on her powers. Sighing she fastened her boots, before pulling her gloves on. Rogue's power was the ability to drain the abilities, personality, memories, and energy of anyone who made skin to skin contact with her. Because of that she had to keep her skin covered at all times and of course there was the fear.

Since the day she had arrived she had been aware of the fearful or disdainful looks she got from most of the other students and even a few of the teachers. No one trusted a girl who had not only once been a criminal but could kill someone and steal their powers simply by touching them. Sighing she headed out of her room and through the quiet hallways. It was only six o'clock and classes wouldn't start for the next three or four hours. Still there was on place she could go this early.

Descending to the mansions lower levels she headed to the off limits West Wing. Unlike many of the students Rogue was permitted access to the West Wing, or more specifically the Danger Room, when ever she felt the need to use it. It was there that she headed now, tapping in her personal code the door slid open. Even at this hour she was sure she would find the person she was looking for; the one person who didn't look at her with fear or pity.

"Logan...?"
 
Logan, codename Wolverine, had been in the Danger Room since the wee hours of the morning. He didn't sleep much, not that he felt he needed much some days. As usual he was in the Danger Room, working out his aggression and training. There was no off day for him, so when he trained the Danger Room was always on a tough setting in regards to what he was training.

This morning he was in the middle of a fight with a simulated Sabretooth, in a Danger Room simulation of the Canadian wilderness. He had already had a couple of run-ins with Sabretooth, each time Sabretooth would slink away just as Wolverine was going in for a death blow on him, frustrating him even more this morning. He was just about to go in for a kill again, having gone down wind of this simulation and stealthily getting in close when he heard his name being called off in the distance. At the sound of his adversaries name the simulated Sabretooth looked and headed towards the sound.

"Fuck." Logan growled beneath his breath, running quickly after him. While he knew he should have ended the simulation his pride and bloodlust kept him from doing so.

Seeing Rogue, Sabretooth crept in close, hidden in the brush, before running in and grabbing Rogue by the throat and lifted her, his hand wrapped around her collar she was wearing. "Hello frail." Sabretooth sniffed the air, snorting in her face "Sweet, young meat. I could have some fun with you."

Just then came the audible *SNIKT* of Wolverine claws as he popped them at the base of Sabretooths skull, penetrating up into his 'brain' and ending the simulation. The holograms faded away, as the robot Wolverine 'killed' slumped, dropping Rogue to her feet. Logan threw it aside, sheathing his claws as he looked at Rogue.

As Logan took a moment to breathe and gather himself he could smell Rogue's fading fear and growing relief. He pulled back his mask, looking at her in the eyes, nodding slightly. "Hey kid, another night short on sleep I take it."

Logan had had more than his fair share of morning meetings with Rogue since she had decided to ditch the Brotherhood and come to the X-Men. He knew she still wasn't comfortable in the mansion, and the rest of the kids here weren't comfortable with her being here yet considering her past with them. That would take time, he knew how it felt to be an outsider at the school here given his own confusing and dark past. For now he knew she needed an ear, and he was the one she was most comfortable talking to right now.
 
A her feet once again touched the floor the woman rubbed a gloved hand over her throat. For a robot covered in a hologram the simulated Sabertooth still had one hell of a grip. As Logan tossed the robot aside and the room flickered back to its usual blank state the female tucked the blade she held in her right hand back into the sheath on her thigh. It was a rare day when anyone or anything got the drop on her, a bonus of the highly acute Seventh Sense that she had absorbed from one of her unfortunate victims. Still, with only a few hours sleep Rogue was slow to start. She was actually pretty grateful for Logan's timely intervention. As he spoke a faint smile curved her purple painted lips. She was pretty sure he could tell that the dark rings around her eyes were only partially make up.

"You're one to talk darlin... Y'all spend more time one here than a catfish in a pond..."

The soft southern drawl was apparent when she spoke. Despite having left the South as a child Rogue had never lost the familiar syntax and accent. Despite her more alternative choice of appearance the woman was still every bit the Southern Belle. Almost absently she ran a gloved hand through her hair, brushing it back from her face. Stepping around Wolverine she moved towards the center of the room, lacing her fingers behind her back.

"Mind if we train a bit sugar...? I need the work out..."
 
Logan smirked. Kids got cojones, he thought to himself. Rogue and he had done a morning training session almost every morning, and she had become quite the trained fighter. She had mostly done beginner courses in the Danger Room so far, however, so he knew putting her into one of his tougher sessions would be pointless right now. At least until she had some more time training under her belt.

"Computer, Training; designate Rogue. Hunt 1."

Slowly the room began to transform around them, into a thick jungle atmosphere. As the simulated wildlife sounds and thick atmosphere enveloped the room. Logan stretched a bit, feeling joints pop softly as he prepped.

"This one is simple kid. We have ten hunters in the area, each highly skilled mercenary types. We need to take them down, but if we don't take them out stealthily they will call in reinforcements."

Logan sniffed the air, trying to see if he could get a location on one of the hunters. Luckily he caught a scent, before looking at Rogue.

"Follow close, we watch each others backs and we take it slow. We have two just north of here, possibly together."

With that he began heading north, keeping low to the ground while in the thick brush.
 
"Y'all don't have to keep treating me like a newborn foal... I new to the whole "good" concept but not to fightin... No matter what side you choose the fightin's the one thing that never changes..."

A cynical half smile curved her lips as she spoke softly to his back. She was well aware of the fact that he had been setting all the training programs to easy when he ran them with her. Of course she wasn't complaining but it was a bit annoying to be treated like a newbie. Besides the early morning training sessions were the one thing she looked forward to at the Academy. Of course she had normal training classes during the day, but she usually skipped them or hung to the back only putting forth the bare minimum necessary to survive the simulation. The other students were already scared as it was, so she was of no particular desire to add to it.

As the room changed to the simulation environment Rogue sighed. She hated the jungle, there was something about all the damp foliage. The humidity she didn't mind much however. Still the faster they got this done the better. Lost in her thoughts she was only partially listening as Logan gave her the rundown of the situation and then indicated their starting direction. As he began carefully creeping through the thick brush Rogue followed behind, wishing she had been given a moment to get out of her skirt and blouse before they started. They would impede her movements any, but she would have felt more comfortable in her leggings and tank top alone. Of course she hadn't brought her jacket so this was for the best, it would be unfortunate if he accidentally touched her.

As if triggered by the thought of her abilities faint flashes of a memory flickered to life. It was a memory of some wild jungle, thick brush and oppressive heat. She had a feeling of being burdened down, as if she was carrying something or someone. The memory shifted to flashes of burning foliage in the distance and the faint rattle of gunfire.

Shaking her head to clear her mind Rogue took a deep breath, as the professor had taught her and forces the memory away. The memories were a small part of the many she had absorbed over time, a part of a sub-persona that she was learning to control. She had been so engaged in tearing herself out of them that she barely noticed that she was almost right on Logan's rear.

Quickly stepping to one side the female crouched low, motioning for him to hold for a moment. Faintly and in the distance she could make out the sound of footfall. The steps were not light in nature, though they were slow, and she was soon able to pick up on two distinct patterns in the footfalls. It seemed they had found their first target. The woman's mind began racing rapidly as she began to strategize, her mind running through a number of covert and not so covert tactics that would allow the two to quickly and efficiently neutralize the targets.

This too was a part of one of her sub-personalities, the tactical mindset that had once belonged to a woman unfortunate enough to fall victim to Rogue's parasitic touch. It, along with a few other things, had been nearly packaged into a primary sub-persona that, with Professor Xavier's help, she had been learning to control. Except for a few issues with errant memories she had pretty much gotten the hang of it.

"If y'all are of mind to do so we can flank these two and take 'em out before they even see us coming..."
 
Wolverine nodded, after taking a peak at the two hunters ahead of them.

"I'll take the one on the left, you take the one on the right."

Logan knew with these session set on moderate it wouldn't be as easy as possibly Rogue thought, and what he hadn't told her is that each one of the hunters had the eye blast powers of Cyclops as well as his claws. Logan smirked as he slinked into the brush to the left. He knew if she planned her tactics correctly then they would never run into an issue where the hunters would use their powers. Making his way slowly in the cover he stood a few feet ahead of his target, waiting to see movement from Rogue indicating she was taking her target down. He was ready to pounce the moment she did.

Logan had grown accustomed to training with Rogue, though he had heard reports from her actual training teacher that she was hardly focused on training in class, if she showed up at all. He had promised to talk to her about that this morning after their usual session. Rogue showed the fighting talent from her time spent with the Brotherhood, but she needed to learn the discipline of training to keep from wasting her potential. Logan couldn't blame her much for not wanting to train with the group though, they were mostly new to the campus and learning the basics to which she certainly had conquered in her own right.
 
Rogue nodded as she split off from him, moving around the hunter on the right. Eyes scanned the area for something in the environment she could use to her advantage. Her gaze swept from her target to the surrounding area and soon spotted just what she needed. Her target was standing just beneath a tree. The branches above him appeared sturdy enough to hold her weight. If she played this right she would be able to quite literally get the drop on him.

Moving around to back of the tree she closed her eyes, digging deeper into the sub-persona for the power she wanted. After a moment she could feel her form tingle a bit. Opening her eyes she found herself floating just off the ground. Celebrating silently in her head she ascended along the back of the tree, careful to avoid noticeably disturbing the foliage. Flight was far easier than climbing the tree and soon she can to a perch on the branch just above her targets head. Glancing around she spotted Logan, waiting it seemed for her to attack. She was more than willing to oblige.

With a swift motion she dropped from the tree, folding her legs so she landed with the front of her calves flat on the hunters shoulders. Legs tightened as she suddenly and violently twisted her lower half, snapping the "hunters" neck. The momentum took both to the ground, Rouge releasing as the body fell and rolling swiftly back to her feet once she hit the ground. In the same motion she drew her knife ready to throw it should Logan take to long. It was not that she expected him not to hold up his end of the plan but there was one lesson in life she had learned early and would never forget. The best person to rely on to have ones back was ones self.
 
Logan saw Rogue float to the top of the tree and readied himself. As she came down to the ground, a dead hunter beside her, the other hunter started to turn. Wolverine took this opportunity to pounce, popping his claws and sheathing them in the back of his target, penetrating the hunters lungs so he couldn't scream even if he tried. The hunter coughed up blood before passing out from the shock of the blow, which left him dead in moments.

"Hide the bodies as best we can. Then we'll see if we can get a bearing on the rest."

Logan grabbed one dead body by the scruff of its neck, pulling it into a thick brush while wishing he had a cave or a river to toss the body in. The hairs on the back of his neck went up as he sensed the presence of another hunter close by. Logan refrained from pointing it out immediately, waiting to see if Rogue caught wind of the enemy closing in as well.
 
"We might want to stash these bodies with a little more haste darlin... Feels like trouble..."

Rogue could feel the nagging tug that she now equated with her Seventh Sense, vaguely warning her to be alert of some unknown danger. Quickly she grabbed the other body, easily hefting it by waist with one arm. Quickly she moved it to a thick tangle of vines and low hanging foliage, moving a few bits aside so she could safely tuck the "corpse" out of sight. Brushing of her gloves she returned to Logan's side her gaze sweeping the area about them.

She may not have had his keen senses but with her abilities and the memories from her sub-persona she had a pretty decent set of tracking skills. As she scanned about her attempting to determine what had set off her Seventh Sense the nagging feeling of danger began to increase. Frowning softly she moved, deciding that for the moment the best option would simply be to shield herself from view. Crouching low her frown deepened. She really hated the jungle.

"Smell anything...?"
 
Logan, still getting an understanding of how Rogues powers worked for her, was pleasantly surprised when she caught on to the enemy closing in so quickly, crouching low beside her. He sniffed softly at her question, listening close as well.

"Smells like... three, sounds like a possible fourth nearby, but not walking with these three. We may not be far from whatever camp is set up."

In the back of his mind Logan was starting to file away lists of the powers she seemed to have access to. Logan was no stranger to having his mind messed with, and since he became a bit more aware of that fact he had worked on expanding his memory in hopes of unlocking memories seemingly lost within his mind. He pressed close to the ground as the footsteps were obviously audible now, the heavy footfall coming almost close enough to grab ankles.
 
Rogue resisted the urge to release a stream of very unladylike like explicatives as she dropped to her stomach beside Logan. The action landed her in an uncomfortably moist patch of foliage, just as the heavy footfalls passed directly by them. At this point they were at a slight disadvantage. They were at the moment only barely outnumbered. But they had only taken down two out of ten hunters and now four of the remaining eight were uncomfortably close to their location.

Still stealth wasn't exactly the objective of the exercise so if worst came to worst the two could just go full frontal and hope they could slash and smash their way through what hunters remained. Still there was a nagging feeling at the back of her mind that there was something more to the situation at hand. Still for the moment the priority was takin out this new group of hunters. If there was indeed a camp nearby once they got these out of the way they might be able to track their way back to it and take the rest by surprise.

For now though she needed a way to get the current group moving away from them. Looking around she suddenly had an idea. Reaching out she wrapped glove clad digits around a small rock. Normally it would be a pretty useless distraction but she was sure she had enough strength to put the power she would require behind it. As the footsteps receded she quickly popped up, her arm cocking back before she quickly tossed the stone off to the right. The rock cracked into a nearby tree, causing a loud rustle.

"We need to move... Now..."
 
As Rogue popped up and tossed the rock, cracking the tree trunk, Logan noticed that they had been laying on moist ground and it was causing her clothes to be a bit more see-through then she likely wanted. He grimaced slightly at the sound of the tree as it fell, nodding to Rogue and motioning behind them, turning to move quietly. As they moved away he noted one of the hunters growling out "What the hell!?" as he turned towards the base of the tree that fell.

Having found a small cave a few yards from their original position Logan ducked inside, making sure Rogue saw him before disappearing into the dim light of the cave mouth. Logan wiped off his uniform, the dead leaves, dirt and bit of mud coming off only slightly.

"We know there are eight left, we can try their camp and take them down from there or we can take the perimeter, taking whomever we find along the way."

In a moment Logan winced, a bit surprised as he hardly ever has someone get the drop on him. He fell to the ground, the hunter having stabbed him in the back with its claws, blood dripping from them.

"Or you can fuck right off. Don't be foolish girl, you move and he'll die before anyone gets here."

The hunter smirked at Rogue, reaching for his walkie hanging from his belt.
 
"Now that's no way to talk to a lady is it...? Your Ma clearly didn't teach you any manners..."

Rogue's Seventh Sense had been in hyperdrive since they had entered the cave and now she finally knew why. They had walked right in to hunter number four and judging by the claws protruding from his knuckles, they had powers. Rogue wasn't of a mindset to see what other powers the damn thing had, nor was she in the mood to deal with a swarm of back up before Logan got back to his feet.

Luckily even the sound of the claws first slipping out had triggered her reflexes. Now with a flick of her right wrist she sent the knife she had been holding flying through the air. Pushing of with her left leg she started running at the same time, boosting her speed slightly by taking flight. Both Rogue and the knife reached their targets nearly simultaneously. The blade caught the hunter in the hand, the moment of the blades path jerking the limb away from the walkie talkie. At the same time Rogue grabbed the hunter around the through, cutting of the scream that had been attempting to slip forth. Tightening her grip she crushed the "hunters" throat. Dropping the body to the ground she moved to Logan's side.

"Y'all okay sugar...?"
 
Logan cursed himself mentally for not having a better handle on his senses, this time it cost him. Thankfully the hunter was sloppy. While it had stabbed him through the lungs, it didn't do enough damage to put him down for too long. As the lifeless body of the hunter dropped, and Rogue dropped besides him to check on him he coughed, blood coming up into his mouth. He only nodded an answer to her, groaning slightly as he started to feel his muscles, lungs and blood vessels begin to repair themselves. It was hardly a pleasant feeling, as his body healed itself it caused quite a bit of pain sometimes. As he felt the wounds in his back close he rolled onto his side, spitting the blood from his mouth to the side of the cave, away from Rogue.

"Fucking slipping. Dammit."

He moved slightly, leaning up against the cave wall. He was healed enough to function, but not enough to move just yet and he knew it. Breathing slowly, feeling the pain with each breath, he looked up at her.

"I'm going to need a couple minutes, he cut deep."

Logan turned his head to spit some blood away from Rogue again, thinking he was going to be ready for a good cigar and a bottle of whiskey once this was over.
 
"Well then looks like we're in more mess than a farmhand in a cow pen..."

The woman sighed as she moved near the cave entrance, pausing only to grab the radio the other hunter had strapped to his waist. It might prove useful in the future. For now she would need to wait for Logan to recover. Seven on one were not odds that favored her, especially not if the seven had Wolverine's claws. She was well aware of what those claws could do, even to her now partially Kree physiology. And unlike him she didn't heal nearly instantly from her wounds.

Crouching near the entrance of the cave, but remaining carefully in the shadow she scanned the area. She was glad this was just a simulation. Had this been the real thing there was one swift and efficient way she could get both the information and the fire power she needed to end this. Rogue sighed softly looking down at one gloved hand, before balling it into a fist.

"What do you want to do...? We're going to need to move soon enough..."
 
"Yea kid, I know. Give me a few more and I should be able to..." He felt the holes in his lungs close, which was good. Slowly he worked on standing, a little shaky still due to the blood loss and lack of oxygen in his blood. That would be fixing itself fast enough.

"I can move, low and slow. I'm not healed up enough to jump straight into a fight, but I'm close."

Crouching he walked to the edge of the cave, sniffing the air and holding back a cough. He motioned to the right, holding up two fingers. He sniffed left, gave the all clear and crept out of the cave, making sure to watch his step. There was enough room that they could get to some cover and wait for the two if they moved towards the cave, ready to ambush if need be.
 
Back
Top